Help me find a game (plz)

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bobdaman18

So i have a strange taste in games and i need help finding something thats in this niche that i like.  I have clocked nearly 100 hours into mount and blade because it hits most of the features i want in my game.  I only have PC and Wii, I don't mind indie games.  The features I look for:

Conquering resources/territories
-I really enjoyed saint's row because i liked taking hoods and then seeing my guys patrolling the areas.

Gaining more followers
-I always play pet classes 

Playing as a character instead of an omnipotent force.
 -I do enjoy games like DoW2 and the Total War games but i prefer being able to join the fight.

Leveling Up/Loot

Games hitting some or all of these things that I like:
*Mount and Blade*
Hinterland
DoW2
Total War games
Diablo 2(played as necro so i got underlings that way)
Dragon Age 
Battle for Middle Earth
GTA games
Godfather 2

Please help me, I've been playing mount and blade for far too long.  Anyone out there like me?

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By cstrang

For reasons of leveling and loot alone, I recommend Borderlands.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Nasar7

Overlord 1/2 maybe?

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By scarace360

bordrlands , Wow you could play a hunter or warlock,

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

Good call, Nasar.  Overlord sounds like a safe bet.

If you liked Diablo, you'll like Torchlight I imagine.

I think you'd probably enjoy Spellforce 2.  It's a really solid RPG / RTS, leaning more toward RPG.  It's reasonably cheap on Steam now.

If you're at all into turn-based strategy, I keep hearing great things about King's Bounty (though I haven't played it; I can't stand games like that).

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By crusnchill

Seems obvious but... Oblivion seem's like it may solve all of your need's save one or two. 

Torchlight could solve your Diablo itch. 

Company of heroes is said to have very similar, if not the same, gameplay mechanics and style as DoW2. 

Hope this helped you out. Plus, if you rush now you might get them at a 3rd of their price's on steam. :-) 
But I have to emphasize. HURRY UP! The sale is ending at the end of today. The 3rd of Jan for reference, just in case we're in different time zones.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust

Morrowind and Oblivion.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By AgentJ

I think Fallout 3 could scratch your itch. No other game has quite the loot-collecting satisfaction, and you play as a regular joe (who can later recruit a pet dog)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King
@AgentJ said:
you play as a regular joe (who can later recruit a pet dog) "
Wait, isn't that Fable II? My play of Fallout 3 featured the world's sexiest albino recruiting the help of a quite unsexy mutant. Not exactly "Joe and his pet dog."
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ
@Video_Game_King said:
" @AgentJ said:
you play as a regular joe (who can later recruit a pet dog) "
Wait, isn't that Fable II? My play of Fallout 3 featured the world's sexiest albino recruiting the help of a quite unsexy mutant. Not exactly "Joe and his pet dog." "
You can recruit a dog, among a number of other useful helpers. Check it out on one of the Fallout wikis. 

And just because you fancy yourself a pigment-less adventurer doesn't mean this guy will :P
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MeierTheRed

Like some of these gents mentioned, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Borderlands would be some good choices indeed.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
@AgentJ: 

*gasp* Who would dare decline Bushwald Sexyface!?
Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bobdaman18

Thanks so far, I already played the heck out Fallout 3 (such a great game), Borderlands, and Torchlight, i'll include those up top.

I also played a lot of oblivion and morrowind when they came out but i don't like adventuring on my own if I can't play as a pet class.  The summoners in those games can only have 1 pet and only for a minute at a time.  If theres any mods out that let me conquer territory or become a pet class i'd be in for that.

I also liked the company of heroes games but their campaign is very different from the DoW2 campaign and scratches different itches.

I also played a lot of WoW but I really shouldn't get back into it.

I have looked at Overlord 2 and i'll try it now that you suggested it as well as spellforce 2. 

I don't really know what King's Bounty is all about, If i'm expanding my kingdom i might pick it up even though I haven't really tried a turn based strategy game in a long time.

I really appreciate all the suggestions so far, but most of the games suggested seem to focus more on leveling up/loot when my favorite part is the conquering new areas/expanding my kingdom kind of thing.  The reason I play mount and blade is because I like taking over all the towns and castles.  In Saint's Row I really liked how after getting a new zone my "homies" would be patrolling it and I'd gain revenue from it.  It's more about becoming visibly more powerful i guess.  I like to look at the map and see my faction's color expanded across it or see the large number of minions I have following me compared to when I started.  

Thanks again all, keep the suggestions coming if you got em.  We'll beat my Mount and Blade addiction together.

Dungeonbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Dungeonbuster

A few other suggestions for you:

Civilization IV (PC) - nothing like building your own civilization from the ground up, getting to gunpowder first and then realizing that your neighbors haven't progressed past spears yet as you pound their city with cannons. If you've already played Empire Total War, it's kind of like that except it focuses a lot more on the "building up civilization" thing than the grand warfare style. You can download a demo here

• Conquering resources/territories - Definitely. Build your empire either through diplomacy or an ICBM enforced invitation.
  • Gaining more followers - Build armies that follow you to invade other nations with impunity.
  • I always play pet classes  - no classes here other than the winning side
  • Playing as a character instead of an omnipotent force - you're an omnipotent force here, no way around it
  • Leveling Up/Loot  - no leveling up, but you can probably consider enemy cities as loot

Drakensang (PC) - its kind of cliched when it comes to story, but it's a nice party-based RPG with a deep skill system. It's got a few issues (such as closing out previously quested areas), but  it does enough right for me to recommend it. The gameplay is kind of a mix between Dragon Age's character development system and KOTOR's perspective. Lasts about fifty or sixty hours if you decide to explore the hell out of everything.  I think a demo is available.
  • Conquering resources/territories - No conquest, only questing
  • Gaining more followers - It has a party based system allowing you to switch between whoever you can recruit and your main toon
  • I always play pet classes  - Technically, with enough experience, any class can go down any path so you can have a fighter/mage that summons. There are summon spells in the game, but I think you can only bring in one at a time.
  • Playing as a character instead of an omnipotent force - Definitely just a character
  • Leveling Up/Loot  - Levels don't do much, it's a lot more about the skills that you can buy with experience points that make it more fun. As for loot, there's a bit here but not on the level of "OMG, I need a vault to haul this around!". It's also got a pretty extensive crafting system.

Overlord 2 - Another vote for this one. Definitely a huge improvement over the first.
  • Conquering resources/territories - Yes. Crafting, too.
  • Gaining more followers - Oh yes. Minions will die at your command.
  • I always play pet classes  - You're only one class here: The Overlord. Everything else is just fodder for your blade.
  • Playing as a character instead of an omnipotent force - The Overlord
  • Leveling Up/Loot  - Not much in the way of loot other than stuff you can craft to become more powerful.  There is a dual system of good and evil that affect your spells depending on whether you slaughter everyone or keep them around to make you laugh. Well, not so much laugh, but you get the idea.

The Saboteur (PC) - You can download this off of EA's store. It's kind of a cross between WW2 and Saint's Row; an open world WW2 game set in Paris and the surrounding countryside. Not a bad game, it does have a few funky issues that can get a little annoying (like the climbing controls), but I liked it. Be sure to get the latest patch if you play this, though.  
  • Conquering resources/territories - You can bash Nazis and "liberate", or colorize, occupied zones. Nazis are still there, but at least everything is a little brighter (augh).
  • Gaining more followers - Once you get the ability unlocked, you can call in the local Resistance to lend a hand. Great for parties.
  • I always play pet classes  - No classes here, just one angry Irishman.
  • Playing as a character instead of an omnipotent force - Yep, you're just one guy.
  • Leveling Up/Loot  - No levels, but you get to unlock lots of weapons. Has awesome tanks.

Rise of Legends (PC) - It's an older game, but it's a lot of fun. It's a lot like Command and Conquer, only when you build a city/base, it also creates a border around it. The more upgraded your base becomes, the more influence it has around it, pushing out a border as if it were a miniature nation. Pretty fun, especially if you're into steampunk and magic-type RTS games.
  • Conquering resources/territories - Definitely conquest and expansion. Borders add a new twist by giving your units benefits while within your territory.
  • Gaining more followers - Not really much of that here other than what you can build.
  • I always play pet classes  - No classes here, either, but you can choose who you want to be out of three factions.
  • Playing as a character instead of an omnipotent force - Think Total War
  • Leveling Up/Loot  - No levels or loot...just conquest.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Snail

Borderlands fulfills most of your requisitions.

There is however, no conquering of resources and you can only have a "pet" in one certain class.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bobdaman18
@Dungeonbuster: well thanks, i tried saboteur but it ran bad on my computer, i guess i'll be going with overlord 2.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.