#1 Edited by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

Hi there,

I'm creating a meetup group for people in my local area here in the uk that's focused on people who play videogames and want to meet up in person to continue their hobby together, LAN parties and just general, in-person, multiplayer games etc. Plus other activities too.

Below will be my meetup description, would you guys tell me what you think and what could use some work, plus how to improve it, so that it attracts people to it (It's not a popularity competition for me, I just want to have big thriving group that has quite a few people in it, not me and one other person.)

Here it is between the two lines: (UPDATED based on feedback)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video-Gamerholics anoymous

Hi, My name's Mark and I'm a videogame enthusiast, I love videogames and everything about them.

I also love meeting people too. So in that vein of thought I figured I'd marry the two up and make this group.

If you're like me and really like videogames too then give me a bell. Me and the rest of the group will play anything.

Real-time-strategies, 1st and 3rd-person shooters, Board games of all types, Role-playing-games, Multiplayer, Co-op games, Puzzle And many more game genres, we're open to playing all videogames and games in general. Maybe even just throwing a Frisbee around.

Outside of our weekly, bi-weekly/monthly gaming meetups there is also the oppurtunities to go to videogame conventions, In the UK and abroad. And the oppurtunity to do activities together that are outside of playing videogames such as hiking, going on treks on snowdonia/anywhere, survival training weekends, wall climbing, going to the cinema, traveling abroad(I've always fancied North Korea), Visiting Museums and Art galleries, possible charity work, cycling and anything else that might interest you, just say something and we'll see what we can do.

I'm open to people of all ethnicities, sex's, religions, political views, sexual orientations etc, as long as those views are left outside the front door when we show up to play games together. The only group of people that concerns me is the younger age group, people below the age of 17 will be unable to join unfortunately, exceptions will only be made if the 15 year old+'s parents speak to me directly and consent to their son or daughter coming to the group. Younger age groups will only be accepted if the parent stays with their child at all times.

Feel free to contact me by e-mail and leave your phone number so I can get back to you, e-mail me at: fakeemailatfakeemail.co.uk

I check my e-mail quite frequently so you won't be waiting long for a response.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

When listing video games, make sure the proper letters are capitalized. I laughed when I read that paragraph about you being an equal opportunity gamer.

#3 Posted by NicksCorner (417 posts) -

Is this the text that you will post to draw people towards your group?

If so, I find it a bit long winded. Perhaps use a big catchy headline. And then dont mention so many games by name. People who dont play games wont know any of them and people playing games will just notice what is missing.

Good luck in finding people, I hope you get a nice thing going.

#4 Edited by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

@BraveToaster: Well I figure that as long as people's views don't affect whether they can play a game or not and people don't show up with an agenda then things should be fine(that could've been worded better).

Oh and the game names have all been capitalised, anything else you can think of?

@NicksCorner: This's just the group description so I didn't put the title in here. Based on looking at your username I've just come up with Gamer's corner(inspired by your username), or maybe PassionateGamer's court, Videogames hobby trust, video-Gamerholics anoymous?

I like the last one quite a bit, what do you think?

#5 Edited by Kidavenger (3570 posts) -

@TorMasturba said:

Hi, My name's Mark

I also love meeting people

you're like me

i like craft, Dawn etc.

duty

of all types.

Role-playing fantasy.

play free of control.

My personal favourite type Dead and Toejam etc, etc.

cube(yes the physical block that you have to spin around in your hand), professor of Goo.

And many more types, open to anything.

Outside of our weekly, bi-weekly/monthly meetups there is also the oppurtunities to do activities together that are outside of playing such as, survival training, (I've always fancied North Korea), say something and we'll see.

I'm open to people of all ethnicities, sex's, religions, political views, sexual orientations etc, when we show up to play together. The younger age people below the age of 17 will join , exceptions will only be made if the 15 year old speak to me directly and consent to their coming.

contact me by e-mail and leave your phone number so I can get back to you, e-mail me at: fakeemailatfakeemail.co.uk

you won't be waiting long for a response.

I left all the creepy parts in, needs work...

#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@TorMasturba: As NicksCorner suggested, it is long-winded. I would just make it short and simple. If people have any questions regarding the group, they can contact you via e-mail. After all, you did state that it would not take long for you to respond.

#7 Posted by Kidavenger (3570 posts) -

@TorMasturba:

Don't talk about yourself or what you like, it should be about the group, your first name should be enough.

Listing specific games is fine I guess, but you've listed way too many, it seems that you like every game that's ever been made or that you are trying too hard.

Don't talk about kids under 17/15, just say it a group for people 20-30, or whatever your target range is.

Extra stuff will happen later if the group works out, talking about it now sounds overbearing.

Fix your capitalization throughout the post, spelling too.

#8 Posted by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

@Kidavenger: That's more like it, constructive critiscism that I can work with, thanks very much indeed for getting back to me. (I'm an introvert by nature and so sometimes, not being all that social, I type things that sound fine in my head and look kind of creepy in the real world, this's my attempt to change how social I am.)So again, thanks for the info.

My answer to your reply, point by point:

In the updated version I've just stated my name and that I really like games.

I will list game genres and leave it at that, also I've deleted the bit about doing activities outside of gaming, I don't want to sound like I'm trying too hard, just that what we'd be doing would be pretty cool.

I will be changing the age thing, you're right it's better to just say that people who're 20+ years old are welcome.

I've deleted the stuff about activities outside of gaming, it does sound overbearing, nobody wants to commit to anything without knowing about what they're doing or wanting to do it up front, and what I was saying we could do could be construed as an absolutely huge commitment.

I fixed my capitalization earlier so that's done and after checking twice I've found my spelling to be fine, I'm British so my spelling is different than US spelling as a natural bi-course.

Anywho, thanks very much, you were super helpful.

#9 Posted by mercutio123 (471 posts) -

@TorMasturba: Where abouts in the UK are you?