#1 Posted by Carryboy (677 posts) -

So having gotten through a substantial amount of my backlog over the past year I now seem to want to throw that to shit. I seem to want to play every RPG series I missed/play some again.

So my question is which of the following are worth going playing now in 2013?

Wild arms

Suikoden

Persona 1 and 2 (definitely going to play 3 and 4)

Breath of fire 3 and 4

Every other Shin megami tensai game available in europe

Star Ocean

Dark Cloud

Arc the Lad

Valkyrie profile

Final fantasy 1-6

Grandia

Alundra

Vagrant story

Skies of Arcadia

Tales series

Help?!

#2 Posted by Carryboy (677 posts) -

Oh man I forgot some:

Tactic Ogre

ZHP

YS series

Lunar

#3 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2304 posts) -

Skies of Arcadia is a definite must

#4 Posted by xyzygy (9996 posts) -

Star Ocean 2 is amazing.

#5 Posted by Veektarius (4837 posts) -

Grandia 2 and Suikoden III (I hear II is good, too, but didn't play it) are my votes. A couple of the FFs are worth it, but I'll let other people handle that, because I'm not as keen on SNES FFs as other RPGs from that period.

#6 Edited by Jeust (10653 posts) -

Final Fantasy VI

Persona 3 FES

Both of them are awesome games. You should also try Final Fantasy IV.

#7 Edited by Humanity (9261 posts) -
#8 Posted by Mezmero (1904 posts) -

I recall Breath of Fire 3 being shockingly good. Valkyrie Profile is great especially when it's portable. I really like the first Persona but I don't know that I'd recommend it over just playing 3 or 4.

#9 Posted by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

Play anything by Atlus.

Play Skies of Arcadia.

Play select Tales games. (Vesperia and Symphonia are good at least. I've heard not so great things about other entires, and Tales of Graces f is really really dumb from what I've seen of it)

Alundra is cool, I never finished it though.

Also, you didn't list them, but the Mario RPGs are all fantastic. SMRPG is probably my favorite game of all time and both Paper Marios are awesome. The Mario & Luigi games are pretty great too.

#10 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Of the options listed:

• Persona 2
  • Breath of Fire 3
  • Star Ocean
  • Final Fantasy 3-6 (and 1, if you're up for some old school shit)
  • Tales of Phantasia, I guess?
  • Tactics Ogre
  • Lunar
#11 Edited by Picsl (202 posts) -

Final Fantasy 1-3 may be hard to go back to, but 4 and 6 (haven't played 5) are still great today.

#12 Posted by GreggD (4505 posts) -

Lemme tell you about RPG overload:

That's my GOG RPG collection. I have yet to finish ANY of them.

#13 Posted by Slay3r1583 (613 posts) -

I actually just finished Suikoden 1 for the first time a few weeks ago. It has a great story and the graphics and gameplay hold up surprisingly well for a 15+ year old game. I can't comment too much on the other games as I either haven't played them or have not played them recently enough to comment on how well they have aged. You defiantly need to play Lunar also. That is one of my all time favorite RPGs.

#14 Edited by oldenglishC (957 posts) -

Sorry guy, you can skip Alundra, Vagrant Story, and the Arc the Lad games, but you should probably play the rest of that list.

#15 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (5057 posts) -
#16 Posted by Xymox (2088 posts) -

Of the ones listed, I'd go with Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile (if you can deal with the voice acting), Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI.

#17 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5828 posts) -

Ys Seven is so fucking good. It's one of the best action RPG's I've ever played, and my only real complain about it is that it lacks a ng+ feature.

Also, I'm assuming you have a PSP, but I didn't see The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky among your list. It really should be in there though, because that game is amazing.

#18 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Breath of Fire IV. I loved the hell out of that game as a kid and can not recommend playing it enough. I wish they would release the PC version so I can buy it. I'm pretty sure it's on PSN but I don't want to buy anything on it and have it not be playable when the PS4 comes out. I refuse to buy digital games on consoles for that reason. They expect you to buy a whole new library every 4-5 years.

Scrolling down I now see you added Lunar to the list. Play that too. It was also an amazing game that blew me away as a kid.

#19 Edited by Slag (4400 posts) -

@carryboy:

Just some general feelings on these, most I played near their launch s it can be hard to gauge timelessness.

Definitely Play

• Vagrant Story
  • Final Fantasy 4 & 6
  • Suikoden 2
  • Valkyrie Profile 1
  • Tactics Ogre

Solid Plays

• Suikoden 3
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Persona 2

Maybe

• Breath of Fire III
  • Dark Cloud 2
  • Wild Arms 3
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Final Fantasy 1-3, 5
  • Grandia 1-2

Avoid

• Arc the Lad series
  • Dark Could 1
  • Suikoden IV
  • Star Ocean : Till the end of Time
  • Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World
  • Grandia 3

No opinion on the rest.

#20 Edited by Mento (2547 posts) -

Seems to me that the issue isn't so much quality (everything you mentioned is a fantastic game by any metric) but length. It's hard making time for games in general but that's especially true of JRPGs because of how long a lot of them can be. I can happily recommend a number of endless timesinks, but it sounds like you grabbed a huge list of what's good and are attempting to get a feel for the genre and would probably appreciate the chance to play as many as possible.

With that in mind, I can recommend the following: Vagrant Story, FFIV, Valkyrie Profile 1, any Wild ARMs, any Suikoden (except IV - leave that for last if you decide you really like the series), Skies of Arcadia, any of the revamped Ys games, the Lunars, the BoFs and Alundra. Most of those will take around 30 hours or less.

As for the longer ones: Dark Cloud 2 will sink its claws into you if you let it because there's so much to do in that game, but it's my personal favorite. Personas 3 and 4 are so long that you'll probably be sated for SMT games for months afterwards. Tales games are all pretty long - I'd start with Vesperia or Symphonia and go from there. Grandias 1 and 2 are great games but, again, very long. FF6 is probably the best FF game but it also takes ages to beat. Anything by NIS (the Disgaeas and whatnot) could potentially keep you occupied forever. Unless you discounted it for a reason, I'd also throw Xenoblade Chronicles on the pile of very good but very big games. We're talking possible playtimes of hours in the triple digits for some of these, so be aware.

That said, I don't half procrastinate in JRPGs so maybe you'll whizz through a lot of these a lot quicker than I did.

#21 Edited by Jimbo (9813 posts) -

Skies of Arcadia is hella charming.

#22 Edited by StarvingGamer (8245 posts) -

Here are my picks:

• Wild Arms 3
  • Suikoden 1, 2 & 5
  • Dark Cloud
  • Final Fantasy 4 & 6
  • Grandia 2
  • Vagrant Story
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Tactics Ogre
#23 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

That's more JRPG-ing that any one man could handle. Gee, I couldn't see myself finishing all of those in a year.

#24 Posted by Carryboy (677 posts) -

@mento: That is definitely the problem 1 RPG is such a time commitment let alone all of these.

Grandia 2 and Suikoden III (I hear II is good, too, but didn't play it) are my votes. A couple of the FFs are worth it, but I'll let other people handle that, because I'm not as keen on SNES FFs as other RPGs from that period.

Thats the one thing putting me off Suikoden as 3 wasn't released over here and 2 is really expensive.

Play anything by Atlus.

Play Skies of Arcadia.

Play select Tales games. (Vesperia and Symphonia are good at least. I've heard not so great things about other entires, and Tales of Graces f is really really dumb from what I've seen of it)

Alundra is cool, I never finished it though.

Also, you didn't list them, but the Mario RPGs are all fantastic. SMRPG is probably my favorite game of all time and both Paper Marios are awesome. The Mario & Luigi games are pretty great too.

Yeh Mario rpgs are already on my list its just ive already commited and bought them all, the list (scarily) is actually bigger then this.

Ys Seven is so fucking good. It's one of the best action RPG's I've ever played, and my only real complain about it is that it lacks a ng+ feature.

Also, I'm assuming you have a PSP, but I didn't see The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky among your list. It really should be in there though, because that game is amazing.

I was considering it but managed to talk myself out of it... there goes that.

Thank you all.

#25 Edited by Sinusoidal (1517 posts) -

A way to have some fun with the older console RPGs is to run them in an emulator and hack some save states. Chaos, the final boss in FF1, ran away from my max stat party. You don't have to go overboard either, just give yourself some levels here and there when the game expects you to grind if you want, and you'll want, cause those old games expect you to grind.

#26 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

i'd recommend:

alundra: its a fantastic (and kind hard) zelda clone but it is a bit more mature and has more of a story going on. cool puzzles as well.

breath fire 4: its pretty traditional but it has a great art style and a very good combat system with team attack a bit like chrono trigger. BoF: dragon quarter is really cool too but its not for everyone.

grandia: like BoF it is super traditional in structure/tone (probably even more so) but has a great combat system.

SMT: Nocture: its really well made and takes place in an interesting world. you can fuse demons ala persona. i do have some gripes with it though, the random battles/grinding are pretty serious. there were points where i would spend 15 minutes getting from one side of the enviroment to the other because of them. over all its still a really rewarding challenging rpg though.

ZHP is really rad. the combat system feels a bit like disgaea but the turns aren't regimented like that. its zany in a way that you may or may not like depending on how receptive you are to NIS kind of humor but i thought it was the funniest of theirs so far.

#27 Edited by RenegadeSaint (1548 posts) -

@carryboy:

From your list: Final Fantasy 4-6 (the first game earns some nostalgia points, but the series really hit its stride on the SNES), Wild Arms, Breath of Fire 3, Star Ocean, Dark Cloud (Dark Cloud 2 is significantly better, though), Valkyrie Profile, Grandia, Vagrant Story, Skies of Arcadia, and most of the Tales games.

I hope you're unemployed and have severe agoraphobia because that is a LOT of hours right there. Have fun!

#28 Posted by Carryboy (677 posts) -

@carryboy:

From your list: Final Fantasy 4-6 (the first game earns some nostalgia points, but the series really hit its stride on the SNES), Wild Arms, Breath of Fire 3, Star Ocean, Dark Cloud (Dark Cloud 2 is significantly better, though), Valkyrie Profile, Grandia, Vagrant Story, Skies of Arcadia, and most of the Tales games.

I hope you're unemployed and have severe agoraphobia because that is a LOT of hours right there. Have fun!

Haha, I am employed with a lot of other commitments aswell, but ill make it work somehow!