#1 Edited by Basm321 (192 posts) -

I have a friend who is staying with me for the next 2weeks until his apartment becomes available. I came home the other day and he was nice enough to clean my (rather dirty) house.

I sat down in front of my TV and noticed some smears/streaks on the screen. They are only noticeable when light is coming into the room or when the TV is off.

He used SimpleGreen Concentrated All Purpose Cleaner, he did not dilute the solution. I am hoping that the smears are left over residue from the cleaner. I am hoping that the smears are not due to the SimpleGreen dissolving the thin layer of... ummm.... stuff that TV manufacturers coat the screen with.

I am not sure if this ingredient list is the concentrated version or not, the ingrediants were taken from the SimpleGreen website.

SimpleGreen Ingredients:

Water - 78%

2-butoxyethanol - 5%

Ethoxylated Alchohol - 5%

Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate - 5%

Sodium Citrate - 5%

ANY knowledge relating to this situation will be much appreciated.

Does anyone know what effect/damage these chemicals could have done to the coating or screen itself?

I am mostly wondering if anyone knows whether the smears are most likely leftover cleaning fluid or if the product has damaged the coating on my screen. If it is indeed damaged is there ANYTHING I can possibly do to fix this.

When I get home tonight I will be using a microfiber and a small amount of room tempurature water to try and rid my screen of the smudges/smears.

HELP ME PLEASE.

#2 Posted by Marcsman (3196 posts) -

That does not sound good. Beat him I say.

#3 Posted by Basm321 (192 posts) -

@marcsman: It has not ruined my TV, but if the lights are on it is noticeable and just.... just.... DAMNIT WHYYYYYYYYYYY.....

#4 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

All I know about Simple Green is that many use it to strip paint from plastic miniatures.

#5 Posted by TheHBK (5485 posts) -

I use windex on my tv, just use a microfiber cloth, you know, the ones you use to clean your glasses and phone screens. The residue will come off. You can think of it like fingerprint crap on there. He didn't clean it correctly is what happened. Its like some rookie who doesn't know how to wash dishes and doesn't rinse them properly so they still have soap on em. No worries.

#6 Edited by Basm321 (192 posts) -

@gargantuan: My stomach dropped a slight bit.

@thehbk: I really hope it works out. Oh... I guess I will mention how he washed some silverware and left soap on them...................

#7 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@basm321 said:

@gargantuan: My stomach dropped a slight bit.

@thehbk: I really hope it works out. Oh... I guess I will mention how he washed some silverware and left soap on them...................

Has he ever cleaned anything in his life? Does he regularly forget to wash the shampoo out of his hair after a shower?

I feel for you, dude. Hope your TV survives. Any chance it's still under warranty?

#8 Edited by TheHT (11249 posts) -

nothing left to do now but take it outside with a baseball bat.

#9 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

Well, SimpleGreen is pretty damn powerful, but it's pretty safe for most materials. However, like you said it wasn't diluted like it should have been. SimpleGreen can clean oil from cement when not diluted.

You may be okay if he didn't leave it on too long before wiping it off. Fingers crossed your re-wiping it down with water will clear the rest of it up.

#10 Edited by Basm321 (192 posts) -

@mariachimacabre: He usually does a very good job when cleaning stuff (rather cleanly guy). I think it will be ok, I just hope that there is no noticeable distortion to the picture. I believe the warranty has expired.

@theht: I think that is a little bit extreme, but someday I will find time to bash a broken TV up, you need not worry.

@tycobb: I cannot cross anymore fingers, or toes for that matter. I sure do hope that a simple quality wipe down will fix any noticable smears.

I guess I will just have to wait and see how it turns out tonight.

From this point on I will be making a point to notify anyone staying at my house to NOT TOUCH my TV.

Thank you all for your responses, if nothing else the empathy you guys expressed has helped to calm my anxiety.

#11 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Have you done a quick pass over it with a damp cloth to see if the smears are affected? LCD screens aren't as fragile as they might seem. A little bit of polishing with damp cloth won't hurt anything. Give it a try.

And yes, the product your friend used is primarily sold as a degreasing agent. Okay for use in the kitchen and bathroom (it will not break down paint and/or cause dye bleed on colour stabilized fabrics). I use it to clean my bicycles.

#12 Posted by Basm321 (192 posts) -

@herbiebug: I will be wiping it down with a slightly moist micro-fiber cloth the moment I get home. I hope that there is no noticeable degradation in the image. I think it will be fine, but I will be asking my other friends if they notice a difference in the TV before I tell them what happened. I hope that the only issue I notice is one that my mind has constructed to to worry about the possible damage.

#14 Edited by Basm321 (192 posts) -

For those of you who care, I have now wiped down my TV with a moist micro-fiber clock/insanely soft T-shirt and it is 100% fine. I am suprised at how much all of your responses help to alleviate and/or channel my anxiety.

#15 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Good news! Glad to hear it. :)

Must have just been a bit of residue left on the screen.

#16 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@basm321 said:

I have now wiped down my TV with a moist micro-fiber clock

I think that's a typo. You obviously meant cock.

#17 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

@basm321 said:

For those of you who care, I have now wiped down my TV with a moist micro-fiber clock/insanely soft T-shirt and it is 100% fine. I am suprised at how much all of your responses help to alleviate and/or channel my anxiety.

It's just biding its time, it will have its revenge on you one day, mark my words.