#1 Edited by dancingpolkabear (201 posts) -

So I've been looking at fighting games for quite a while, but I've never been able to really get into them. Most of them seem to have very steep learning curves or full of jargon that I don't understand.  
My question is what is the best way to ease into fighting games? Are there any simpler games out there that would help me grasp the concepts presented in most games of the genre? Is there any clear "guide" out there that I could use?

#2 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
Disregard: I'm no good at fighting games, and I never practice combos or perfect techniques.
#3 Edited by JJOR64 (18894 posts) -
#4 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Play street fighter 4 AE practice when your good at that play 3rd strike when your good at that go to marvel 2 then go where ever you want because you are god like now.

#5 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -

I always really wanted to get into fighting games, but I'm too damn old. No point being good at something when anyone a decade or two younger than you can obliterate you with quicker reflexes. :)

At least there's still checkers . . .

#6 Posted by CSXLoser (582 posts) -

watch tutorials and pratice. Once you start feeling confident and/or got to the point where you can beat your button mashing buddies 

start watching pro matches and start learning advanced techniques :) 

Maybe you will find that "inspirational" match of your game. 

Im a tekken player and i can remember how loud i yelled HOLY SHIT when i finished this video as a scrub in training. It got me extra motivated to learn tekken :P  (and of course learn Devil Jin) 

#7 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (1917 posts) -
wiki.shoryuken.com  to learn basics on whatever game you want (or mizuumi.net if you want some of those types of fighting games), and then go to YouTube to research very specific matchups and setups or whatnot.  

Oh, and yes Vesper Arcade is the way to go for video SSFIV tutorials. 
#8 Posted by Stefanten (54 posts) -

Learn from your losses. I can't stress this enough.

#9 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@Stefanten said:
Learn from your losses. I can't stress this enough.
You learn way more from losing than winning. 
#10 Edited by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -
@CSXLoser That's crazy. Insane comeback

#11 Posted by TwoLines (2785 posts) -

My win loose ration in SF was about 10/90, now it's about 50/50. 
There are some tutorials on the forums, but replays of your character help the most.

And yeah, practice. 

Talking about SF here, but I'm sure watching replays does good in any competitive game.

#12 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6151 posts) -

Honestly the Street Fighter IV games are the most basic in understanding fundamentals. The Vesper Arcade tutorial series can help you get a grasp of basics. Understanding mechanics vary from game to game and is more learned towards experience.

#13 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

I can teach you Mortal Kombat.  

I've been playing it at tournament level for years. 

psn -    x-aLieN-x-GrEy-x
#14 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:

Honestly the Street Fighter IV games are the most basic in understanding fundamentals. The Vesper Arcade tutorial series can help you get a grasp of basics. Understanding mechanics vary from game to game and is more learned towards experience.

MK is way easier to get into. (and appropriately more boring)#

SF can be pretty easy to start with but a lot of people have difficulties NOT jumping when they first start out, I also thinking blocking with a button is a lot easier than doing it manually and having to change directions accordingly
#15 Posted by TaccyP (307 posts) -

The SFIV series is the best place to start. Pick a character you like, but stay away from the execution monsters like C. Viper and Gen. Anti-airing and blocking are what beginners should focus on. Keep the combos simple until you've learned how to play fundamental footsies.

You can try Marvel if you're feeling brave, but that's a rough place to start... real rough.

If you want to stay in tune with the scene and keep up to date on the latest happenings bookmark these sites:

iPlayWinner
EventHubs
Shoryuken

You can always find guides, tutorials, and tournament footage.

#16 Posted by FEnergyLegs (63 posts) -

Blazblue comes with a very in depth tutorial system that explains many fighting game fundamentals, and also many character specific tutorials. Overall though Blazblue is a much more difficult fighting game than something like Street Fighter IV. I'd say give it a shot though, because it is very fun and you will definitely learn something. I still highly recommend Blazblue, and I comsider it to be a much more enjoyable and more fuffiling experience than what you will find in Street Fighter IV. 

There's also www.dustloop.com for any help relating to Blazblue, spanning from the basics to the more in-depth hardcore elements of the game.