• 84 results
Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Please cover Kentucky Route Zero and the company's other games please. So good.

Tobiass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Tobiass

HAD TO BE PATRICK

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@AMyggen said:

@Humphreys: I see what you mean, I just think that Patrick's articles doesn't bring up Kickstarter nearly as much as people think. A simple search shows that he hasn't brought it up more than once or twice the last few months in the articles he's written, and it hasn't really been a subject in the podcast or anything like that either.

Patrick does seem to have a big focus on indie games, but that's because he seem to love those kind of games, and this site is all about the crew covering what they want to cover. And if you go back and look at the news articles from the last few months, there isn't that much indie coverage outside the "Play this" part of his regular column on Fridays. Most of his news posts are about bigger events like THQ going down the drain, and it seems strange to bring this up on this article seeing as IGF is a big deal for the indie scene, which has given us some of the best games of the last few years. I just think GBers have a tendancy to talk up his focus on indie games in articles as much bigger than it actually is.

Anyways, I come here for the video and audio content, not the written content.

Yeah, first and foremost Giant Bomb is for entertainment not news.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By mbr2

@Humphreys said:

Enough with the indie game and Kickstarter reporting, it's getting beyond a joke.

Deal with it.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By generic_username

@Humphreys said:

@AMyggen said:

@Humphreys said:

Enough with the indie game and Kickstarter reporting, it's getting beyond a joke.

There's not that much reporting on those subjects here, it's just that people keep bitching for some reason every time an article is posted about it. And personally, I think indie games is one of the most interesting subjects in gaming (especially when seeing how many of the best games of 2012 were indie games), so I have absolutely no problem with it getting coverage. IGN etc. has Halo and CoD covered.

For the past few weeks all i've been seeing at the end of the week is that green Kickstarter logo, it is being drummed into my head.

I don't come to Giant Bomb for reports on Halo and COD either. I do rather enjoy Alex's articles though, you know, actual news.

Then read Alex's articles and quit bitching. You don't have to click on the kickstarter logo that you see more often than it's actually there. I am so sick of people complaining about indie games getting coverage. It's such a stupid thing to whine about. "I'm not interested in this topic, so I think they shouldn't write about it!" Well then, let's drop the coverage of every other damn game, because someone who clicks on isn't interested and needs to bitch about it existing at all. Geez.

dotpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By dotpatrick

IGF is my favourite part of GDC. They've got a good mixed of stuff this year. Glad to see Hotline Miami getting its props.

Started playing Kentucky Route Zero today and it is aces.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By MrMazz

@Humphreys said:

It's sad to see such a closed view as to what GB could be

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By panvixyl

@Humphreys Oh, shut the fuck up and deal.

Anyways, here's to hoping FTL wins all the awards.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#59  Edited By Hailinel

Fez rendered the IGF Awards into a joke.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By mracoon

Never heard of Kentucky Route Zero before but after looking it up I really want to check it out.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#61  Edited By LackingSaint

Wow, Thomas Was Alone got robbed. Not even an honourable mention for Excellence In Narrative? That shit made me care about a bunch of oddly-proportioned squares.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrMazz said:

@Humphreys said:

I said, first and foremost not; 'the only reason why I visit here'. Also, it was in response to someone who said something similar. Are you suggesting the personalities of Giant Bomb aren't the reason you became aware of this site?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Andorski

@Humphreys said:

@MrMazz said:

@Humphreys said:

I said, first and foremost not; 'the only reason why I visit here'. Also, it was in response to someone who said something similar. Are you suggesting the personalities of Giant Bomb aren't the reason you became aware of this site?

People come here because they like how Jeff and co. cover games (e.g. video game news).

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#64  Edited By StarFoxA

Just so you know, Guacamelee is misspelled, we do actually have a page for it on the site.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mrpandaman

@Andorski said:

People come here because they like how Jeff and co. cover games (e.g. video game news).

Exactly why I come here.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#66  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@BaconGames said:

I don't know who said it on twitter but it finally made me realize why the IGF was always weird and wonky: they mix unreleased and released games together.

Yeah, some of the games even were released before Fez (Dys4ia was released in March 2012, Fez in April), which was nominated last year. Pretty confusing stuff.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By Animasta

@Allison said:

Really glad that Dys4ia and Anna Anthropy/Auntie Pixelante are on the voting block and HOLY CRAP DOES SHE DESERVE A WIN HERE. I mean winning would be kind of a joke and losing is the joke itself so I expect her to lose and then take it as ungraciously as possible and I will party with her so hard you do not even know.

I don't think she does personally; I mean the game is fine an all and I appreciate the message (though I already know that message) but she bumped off frog fractions AND analogue: a hate story, both games I think are superior at what they try to do.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By I_smell
@AMyggen said:

@Humphreys:

Patrick does seem to have a big focus on indie games, but that's because he seem to love those kind of games, and this site is all about the crew covering what they want to cover.

And because all this smaller start-up stuff is a way bigger part of the news now. If you cut out everything Double Fine did last year, FTL, Space Team, Hexagon, Curiosity and everyone who's left a huge studio to start a small one then you're cutting out like half the shit that HAPPENED in videogames last year.

Stories like Minecraft and Fez and Dust ARE gigantic news, you didn't get one-man teams making shit like this on the PS2. If you write what's happening in videogames for a living, Peter Molyneux making a kickstarter is a hundred times more relevant than posting like trailers for Far Cry 3 or whatever.
king0fprussia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By king0fprussia

yessssss FTL

KevinK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By KevinK

So, Fez wins IGF like 15 years in a row and then the one calendar year it comes out and it's not nominated for anything?

Well, whatever. I don't understand this IGF business but Fez will continue to rock and I will continue to use IGF as a barometer for indie games I should care about (although I've already played a surprising number of games on this list. Guess I'm indie, bitches.)

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Beaudacious

I don't mind indie games like FTL, and Hotline but everything else always seems so pretentious. Artsy indie game #6 represents the struggle of life through its use or art.. bleh, just give me good gameplay.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Meltac

The Stanley Parable is so good, can't wait for the updated version!

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#73  Edited By Little_Socrates

Analogue not being nominated for "Best Narrative" is a crime. I know I'd drop Thirty Flights for Analogue, Stanley Parable, and Hotline Miami, despite liking Thirty Flights! I'm not familiar enough with Cart Life, Kentucky Route Zero, or Gone Home to say, partly because Gone Home is not available on wide release yet, but I'm currently rooting for Dys4ia to win the category.

Not being familiar with Samurai Gunn, Space Pilgrim, or Super Space ______, I would still drop FTL and Super Hexagon for Hotline Miami. I have a feeling I'd drop one of the other three before either of those, though.

Only mentioning Dust: An Elysian Tail for "Best Audio" is kind of hilarious, considering the voice acting was one of two things in that game that was never ever even a little bit superb. The other was the animated cutscenes, which were brief, if pivotal.

I like Dys4ia and Spaceteam better than Frog Fractions. Sorry, guys. And I'd love to see Hotline or FTL win the Seamus McNally.

Oh, and no mention of Thirty Flights of Loving for "Best Visual Art?" That's practically the only thing the game did well!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Has to be FTL such a good game.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for Guacamelee!

Avatar image for pliggethefallen
PliggeTheFallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By PliggeTheFallen

Wonderful list of independent games! I've played through a few of these and had a blast! Good luck to them all.

Allison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Allison

@Animasta said:

I don't think she does personally; I mean the game is fine an all and I appreciate the message (though I already know that message) but she bumped off frog fractions AND analogue: a hate story, both games I think are superior at what they try to do.

Frog Fractions is a flash in the pan. In a few months, unless someone has only just played Frog Fractions, nobody will be talking about it. It's an experience, but only once.

Analogue and to a larger extent Christine Love's games in general are more visual novels and while I couldn't get into them, I know enough people that are really into that to enjoy them. And that's fine.

Dys4ia is a very real story that affects hundreds of thousands of people, myself included. It's probably the only game of its kind that will be made in a lifetime. The Big Companies would NEVER make a video game dealing with transgender issues, nor do they seem to be willing to publish any time soon. It's really only indie game developers that would be able to make something like this, and nobody else. Up to and including when that happens, and we have a believable story about a trans man or woman, a game like this will always be important.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#78  Edited By Animasta

@Allison: it affects me too, I just don't think it was done very well.

also there was a transwoman in Catherine though she wasn't the main focus obviously

I mean maybe my familarity with it made me not care about it so much, all I did when finishing dys4ia is go "oh, so her life sucks too, bummer" whilst analogue made me cry

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Rave

I hope Cart Life wins some stuff that is an amazing game.

Avatar image for glitchndasystem
GlitchNDaSystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#80  Edited By GlitchNDaSystem

I'm glad Hotline Miami is actually in the running for some stuff, but I don't like how The Stanley Parable only got honorable mentions. I loved TSP, and it certainly deserves more than just honorable mention.

Damolition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Damolition

I must have subconsciously avoided reading this article before due to the fez thumbnail.

Nice little list of nominees though, I'll be rooting for FTL.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By AssInAss
VicLast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By VicLast

I've really got to get up to speed with these games. I have yet to play even ONE of the games on this list; and I was excited for all of them ... Sigh.

zrais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By zrais

Great, more stuff to buy.