Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
Buy it for cheap! 
Buy it for cheap! 
id Software has made pretty clear its warm fuzzy feelings about the iPhone over the last year, so a smattering of iPhone-related news was no surprise at QuakeCon.

For starters, an upgraded version of the mobile-based Wolfenstein RPG has hit the iPhone's App Store a little early this week. The game has higher-resolution artwork than the one that's been available on mobile phones so far. From the footage I saw, it's the same sort of concept as the Doom RPG and Orcs & Elves, with turn-based movement and combat with a sort of pseudo-FPS presentation.

You could also wait till this weekend, when Wolfenstein 3D (the shooter) and the newish Doom Resurrection will both be on sale on the App Store. Wolf is down to 99 cents from $2.99, and Doom drops more than 30 percent from $10 to $2.99.

These prices are only good till Sunday, so get 'em while the getting's good. Is this a sign of slow sales for these games? A bid to get them featured in the App Store's lucrative most-popular list? Who knows--but who can argue with cheap games?
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
Buy it for cheap! 
Buy it for cheap! 
id Software has made pretty clear its warm fuzzy feelings about the iPhone over the last year, so a smattering of iPhone-related news was no surprise at QuakeCon.

For starters, an upgraded version of the mobile-based Wolfenstein RPG has hit the iPhone's App Store a little early this week. The game has higher-resolution artwork than the one that's been available on mobile phones so far. From the footage I saw, it's the same sort of concept as the Doom RPG and Orcs & Elves, with turn-based movement and combat with a sort of pseudo-FPS presentation.

You could also wait till this weekend, when Wolfenstein 3D (the shooter) and the newish Doom Resurrection will both be on sale on the App Store. Wolf is down to 99 cents from $2.99, and Doom drops more than 30 percent from $10 to $2.99.

These prices are only good till Sunday, so get 'em while the getting's good. Is this a sign of slow sales for these games? A bid to get them featured in the App Store's lucrative most-popular list? Who knows--but who can argue with cheap games?
doctorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By doctorchin

Ahh the i phone feels so close to being a good game platform. (Oh, first; heh)

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Zabant

not interested.

Begemot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Begemot

iPhones...  pssh.

cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cdfishman

might actually buy doom res. now, it was out of my app "price range" 

and RPG's sound cool, i could go for a iphone one right about now.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rinkalicous

"  A bid to get them featured in the App Store's lucrative most-popular list" is my guess. A technique that many, many developers use is to put the game on sale to boost sales into the top ten, then yank up the price, as once it's in the top 10 it's unlikely to leave for a while due to the publicity.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By PJ

Brad, You mean that the price of Doom drops more then 60% right?

Edit: Well your not wrong but its alot more then 30%.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By GeekDown

I'm definitely getting Wolfenstein 3D, 99 cents seems like a pretty good deal to me.

ashbash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ashbash

I've gotten bored of iPhone games. Not one of them is worth buying an iPhone or an iPod touch yet. But I got an iPod touch because of the games, not the best purchasing descision I've made.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#11  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I played Wolf 3D on the iPhone and could never get the control scheme the way I wanted.  Hard to strafe AND turn AND fire...

Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Brontes_Muse

I love playing games on my iphone.  And they're so cheep.  It's just tough to find the good ones.  

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Brad
@PJ: Sorry, completely mis-worded that -- I meant that it drops to 30% of its original price, not by that much. Writing news stories during John Carmack lecture = perilous. WIll fix.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By giyanks22

Man...I want an IPHONE....

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

id will probably be the first developer to get me to buy an iPod product. Much like they were the first developer to get me to buy one of them new fangled 3D graphics cards about a dozen years ago.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#16  Edited By MeatSim

Yea can't get upset about cheaply priced games.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Media_Master

If only I had an iPhone...