• 67 results
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

Listen, we all love Left 4 Dead around here. Love it. You and I are both a little concerned about its staying power, though. The four included scenarios are great, but--let me stress--there's only four of 'em. The game is ripe for future downloadable scenarios, of course, and I'm sure Valve is already cracking on some, but what will be the manner of their release? Will Valve neglect the 360 version and simply put them out for free on the PC, as they've done with Team Fortress 2? Will they appear on Marketplace with a fee? You have to figure someone is going to come out of future L4D DLC (L4DLC?) releases a little unhappy, unless Valve and Microsoft can come up with an equitable solution that benefits players on both platforms.

Anyway. In the short term, there's another, underground, seedier way to get new Left 4 Dead maps: the mod community. You can envision all kinds of nifty themed L4D scenarios coming out of modders' collective creativity. Like, say, a shopping mall. That seems like the kind of place zombies would like to hang out, right? Maybe hit the Hot Topic, grab a Cinnabon?

Someone's already got you covered on that front. The original, the greatest of all zombie shopping malls, the Crossroads Mall from Dawn of the Dead, is forthcoming in Left 4 Dead format. Here's a work-in-progress video of it (sans undead).

This map was already in existence as a part of the Half-Life 2 mod No More Room in Hell, which is a cooperative us-against-neverending-hordes-of-zombies game from back before Valve figured out how to turn that idea into a commercial prospect. Author Darth_Brush is porting the Crossroads Mall map to Left 4 Dead, and l4dmods.com says it will be exclusively hosting the map once it's ready for consumption. The site also promises a "special little surprise...real soon now" pertaining to the map. So check back there real soon now!

I hope this is the beginning of a long and fruitful era of Left 4 Dead mod support. Love love love the game's concept; want more maps, like, yesterday. While you wait, check out some shots of the Crossroads map after the jump. I'm just kidding, we have no jump.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

Listen, we all love Left 4 Dead around here. Love it. You and I are both a little concerned about its staying power, though. The four included scenarios are great, but--let me stress--there's only four of 'em. The game is ripe for future downloadable scenarios, of course, and I'm sure Valve is already cracking on some, but what will be the manner of their release? Will Valve neglect the 360 version and simply put them out for free on the PC, as they've done with Team Fortress 2? Will they appear on Marketplace with a fee? You have to figure someone is going to come out of future L4D DLC (L4DLC?) releases a little unhappy, unless Valve and Microsoft can come up with an equitable solution that benefits players on both platforms.

Anyway. In the short term, there's another, underground, seedier way to get new Left 4 Dead maps: the mod community. You can envision all kinds of nifty themed L4D scenarios coming out of modders' collective creativity. Like, say, a shopping mall. That seems like the kind of place zombies would like to hang out, right? Maybe hit the Hot Topic, grab a Cinnabon?

Someone's already got you covered on that front. The original, the greatest of all zombie shopping malls, the Crossroads Mall from Dawn of the Dead, is forthcoming in Left 4 Dead format. Here's a work-in-progress video of it (sans undead).

This map was already in existence as a part of the Half-Life 2 mod No More Room in Hell, which is a cooperative us-against-neverending-hordes-of-zombies game from back before Valve figured out how to turn that idea into a commercial prospect. Author Darth_Brush is porting the Crossroads Mall map to Left 4 Dead, and l4dmods.com says it will be exclusively hosting the map once it's ready for consumption. The site also promises a "special little surprise...real soon now" pertaining to the map. So check back there real soon now!

I hope this is the beginning of a long and fruitful era of Left 4 Dead mod support. Love love love the game's concept; want more maps, like, yesterday. While you wait, check out some shots of the Crossroads map after the jump. I'm just kidding, we have no jump.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By phlegms

Epic!
And this is why I bought l4d on the pc as opposed to the 360, gotta love those modders.

Avatar image for redactedprofile
RedactedProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By RedactedProfile

Cheers to that Phlegms, cheers to that *hugs steam*

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BawlZINmotion
Yeah dude. Pure. Fucking. Win.
Avatar image for theineffablebob
TheIneffableBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TheIneffableBob

Needs more filmic post-processing effects.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By AndrewJD

Great stuff, lookin forward to plenty of maps in the future.

bboboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By bboboo

Yep this is why you buy it for the PC.

Sharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sharpshooter

Thats really cool. But will there be a path to the gun store?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#9  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Holy hell, that's impressive for the short time period that the game has been out.  Nice modding work!

Obienator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Obienator

Damn! I SO want that!

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Alex_V

They always said PC gaming was dead. I guess they meant zombies.

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tomance

I have a feeling that a mall is going to be DLC.  I do hope that they release DLC for the 360 fairly regularly, we don;t have the advantage of custom maps. 

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gizmo

I feel kind of betrayed Brad, I sent you a PM the day after the podcast with a link to that exact video and detailing that it was the DOTD mall, but I get no mention...

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Death_Burnout

I dont want this to sound bad, but i almost wish valve/turtlerock was doing a mall campaign, not the modders.

But whatever, i'll take it, afterall, it wouldnt be The Crossroads Mall if it wasn't the modders. I hope they make it as much as the main game as possible, i dont like it when a modded map feels out of place.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ben_H

The day they make an exact replica of Willamette Parkview Mall is the day my head explodes.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187

Man, it would be great if somehow, Valve were able to get some of the modder maps into a DLC package for 360 and give us some of those sweet, sweet maps.  Not all of us can afford gaming PCs...or Steam game center licenses....  =  (

If they make us pay for DLC on 360, it'll piss me off greatly.  Free or nothing at all.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pause422

Well that's microsoft there, and I highly doubt there is even a small chance microsoft isn't going to make 360 owners pay for DLC for L4D.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gizmo
pause422 said:
"Well that's microsoft there, and I highly doubt there is even a small chance microsoft isn't going to make 360 owners pay for DLC for L4D."
To be honest, I would be more then happy to pay 1200 MP for 4 new campaigns.
Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Double0hFor

they probably won't do an official mall for dlc, probably because of the crap dead rising went through but i could be completely wrong

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kohe321

L4D is completely awesome.

kainen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kainen
GRABBBEM PEELS!

*BRAINNNNNNS*
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great stuff, can't wait to play it , this game is probably going to get better and better with time. Glad I got it on the PC.

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PitifullPete

Gaming PCs? I run L4D on my laptop with Medium/High settings and constant framerate.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By breton

^ I was about to comment about that. You don't need a damn "gaming PC" to play a Source game.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25  Edited By spiceninja

Well that's it. I'm getting this on the PC. There's just no reason to get it on 360 when you get all these amazing mods for the PC version.

Spankmealotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spankmealotus

That looks crazy cool. Had to mute Johnny Cash though.  /shudder

LaSpaceTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LaSpaceTuna

Holy crap...I posted this in response to this weeks Bombcast and now it's on the site.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shadow

and that dear friends, is why I'm not buying the game on the 360.

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SpikeDelight

This is an amazing map and it was a smart choice to use the mall from the remake because not only is it more interesting but the infecteds in that film are fast like in L4D. If there were fast infecteds in the mall from Romero's mall they would look out of place. Bravo to everyone involved in making this. You are making a lot of dreams come true!   :D

defector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By defector

Sweet. I'm looking forward to the mod content. That's what will give the game longevity.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Milkman

And that is why PC version of L4D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 360 version.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AAH! I'm so torn! I want Left 4 Dead, but I can only get it for the 360 (computer is junk) and with the lack of content and no promises of more for the 360, I'm worried that this might be a 60 dollar TF2 disaster again!

keoskey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By keoskey

im just going to buy L4D on PC and 360 did the same with team fortress

Avatar image for deactivated-5c468a9482ba9
deactivated-5c468a9482ba9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really, really do hope the mods take off for L4D. They didn't for Portal and that kills me.

Broken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Broken

Left 4 Dead is great fun, and stuff like this will keep us all playing it for months and even years to come.
Just hope valve dont leave it too long for some official releases. Oh and they better be free on the PC!!

Contra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Contra

It also kills me that Portal mods didn't take off... I suppose being able to basically teleport as far as you can see made it harder to make custom maps. 

Though the few that do exist are awesome.

I really hope L4D's maps just get better and better.  I hope more people have great ideas.

eduardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By eduardo

I'm pretty sure that's based on the mall from the Dawn of the Dead remake, not the original's... while I liked the new movie, the original's would be more interesting to me, seeing the area surrounding the mall has much more detail than the remake's. But... should be fun playing on this map, regardless.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hamz

I just hope a lot more people who are apart of the mod community and Valve themselves decide to get in on the DLC. Keep the weapons, the maps and the community updated as much as possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-64eba2fb499a6
deactivated-64eba2fb499a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Contra said:
"It also kills me that Portal mods didn't take off... I suppose being able to basically teleport as far as you can see made it harder to make custom maps. 

Though the few that do exist are awesome.

I really hope L4D's maps just get better and better.  I hope more people have great ideas."
Coldbrand said:
"I really, really do hope the mods take off for L4D. They didn't for Portal and that kills me."
you guys got the flash portal map pack someone made?
http://portalmaps.wecreatestuff.com/

Gorillawhat
said:
"AAH! I'm so torn! I want Left 4 Dead, but I can only get it for the 360 (computer is junk) and with the lack of content and no promises of more for the 360, I'm worried that this might be a 60 dollar TF2 disaster again!"
this is a VALVe game it should run on you pc anyway what year was it made?
Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Stevokenevo

just to get on the copyright bandwaggon, it would be funny to see a complete remake of the dead rising mall complete with zombies for L4D. 

This map, and the prospect of others of a good standard make L4D an incredibly attractive purchase.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hatking

I would have bought this for my PC but the three friends who were also going to buy it don't have computers capable of running it.  I had to make the decision would I rather play it by myself with shit loads of mods and new maps probably on a weekly basis or with my friends the way it was meant to be played but with possibly only the original four scenarios to play.  I got it on the 360, figured I wouldn't play it as much if I were by myself, and hell I like it enough to were I won't mind buying a copy for the PC if I decide the mod community is good enough to warrant it.

superezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By superezekiel

Poppin' one of them boner things over here.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Splendid  !

mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mussbus999

Please, Please don't neglect us again Valve

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Scooper

I saw this a while ago and all we're waiting for now is Valve to release the L4D Source SDK (L4DSSDK?).

Coooooome on Valve release it I wanna populate my map with some zombie dudes!

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BiggerBomb

I'm planning on picking this game up, either for Christmas or sometime else down the road, but the content shortage is a concern of mine. Hopefully Valve and Microsoft can arrange a deal for DLC on XBLM, even if it involves spending money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I am DEFIANTLY getting L4D for the PC.

Kaido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Kaido

God, that thing is cool.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By John1912

That map is amazing, one thing kinda bugged me thou was the roof was not shown.  Needs to have the roof with help writen on it I think.  Seriously thou, looks great, very professional work!

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By Aaron_G

That level looks pretty awesome.