• 176 results
#1 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

I'd just wanted to inform anyone who never visits Gamespot that our own Ryan Davis visited Gamespot's show called Quoted for the Truth. Arguments are pretty solid and things get kinda rough between Ryan and the Gamespot crew. It's pretty fun debate debacle and something that rarely shows up in the Bombcast.

If you have 50 minutes to spare you can view the video here.

#2 Posted by Milkman (17034 posts) -

Saw this a couple days ago. Watching Ryan yell at people is a lot of fun.

#3 Posted by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

Well, they did ask for the full Ryan Davis cut through the BS experience, he just delivered 100%.

#4 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

This was awesome discussion. Well worth an hour of my time

#5 Posted by MonkeysDad (62 posts) -

It was quite something to witness.

#6 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I loved it. Ryan putting people on blast is always a treat to watch. He should turn into a video game version of Andy Rooney when he gets old.

#7 Posted by MEATBALL (3334 posts) -

I was super impressed because I think Ryan pretty much nailed everything. We don't often get to see Ryan engage in that sort of commentary, which to some extent is a good thing, he is perfect at what he does with Giant Bomb, but it was a great watch/listen.

#8 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Ryan Davis is BEAST! Just jump to the part where they discuss cloud gaming. Also Ryan had some really good points.

#9 Posted by Barrock (3545 posts) -

What is the argument over?

#10 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2162 posts) -

@Barrock said:

What is the argument over?

Why don't you just click on the link?

#11 Posted by BBAlpert (1528 posts) -

Listening to it now, and Ryan opens with "I just want to start off by saying you guys are both idiots, Jesus Christ..."

This is going to be interesting.

#12 Posted by Chaser324 (6651 posts) -

Ryan freaking nailed it. I especially liked when he called the guy out for saying there's "10-15 good games on PS Vita", and all the guy came up with was freaking Hot Shots.

#13 Posted by Ares42 (2731 posts) -

This is sorta meanspirited, but watching McShea squirm after someone actually called him out on his BS opinions was just delightful.

#14 Edited by Atlas (2454 posts) -

I was nearly falling asleep listening to the two Gamespot guys, then when Ryan jumped in it really kicked the show up several notches; I'm halfway through and I'm enjoying it a fair bit. Weird to see them using that studio for something other than the Whiskey Media/Giant Bomb Radio Show/Call in With Dave.

Also been reading the comments. Much more reasonable and level-headed than I remember GS comments being in the past, and seems like a very warm reception for Ryan's appearance, despite some people having a problem with his swearing and his exuberance. It's actually worked out pretty well having the two sites serving their own audiences so far; Gamespot is like Video Game Facebook, Giant Bomb is like Video Game Reddit. If Giant Bomb guys show up on Gamespot shows I'll definitely watch, but I think that too much cross pollination would probably be bad for Gamespot.

Another comparison; Gamespot as a television show would be aired at 7pm, while Giant Bomb TV would be late night 12am.

EDIT: This is a really good way to demonstrate just how much more personality and charisma the Giant Bomb crew has compared to most other video game journalists; Ryan generally makes better points than the other two guests, but he's also so much more interesting to listen to. Maybe they should get Patrick on one time, maybe people would stop hating on him and would realise he's actually great at his job and a very good fifth man on the crew.

#15 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Good work Ryan!

#16 Edited by Barrock (3545 posts) -

@Atlas said:

I was nearly falling asleep listening to the two Gamespot guys, then when Ryan jumped in it really kicked the show up several notches; I'm halfway through and I'm enjoying it a fair bit. Weird to see them using that studio for something other than the Whiskey Media/Giant Bomb Radio Show/Call in With Dave.

Also been reading the comments. Much more reasonable and level-headed than I remember GS comments being in the past, and seems like a very warm reception for Ryan's appearance, despite some people having a problem with his swearing and his exuberance. It's actually worked out pretty well having the two sites serving their own audiences so far; Gamespot is like Video Game Facebook, Giant Bomb is like Video Game Reddit. If Giant Bomb guys show up on Gamespot shows I'll definitely watch, but I think that too much cross pollination would probably be bad for Gamespot.

Another comparison; Gamespot as a television show would be aired at 7pm, while Giant Bomb TV would be late night 12am.

EDIT: This is a really good way to demonstrate just how much more personality and charisma the Giant Bomb crew has compared to most other video game journalists; Ryan generally makes better points than the other two guests, but he's also so much more interesting to listen to. Maybe they should get Patrick on one time, maybe people would stop hating on him and would realise he's actually great at his job and a very good fifth man on the crew.

I had to laugh at the guy complaining about swearing and the fact he has a gigantic pair of tits as his profile picture.

#17 Posted by Dezztroy (825 posts) -

Enjoyable video. The guy Ryan argued with over the "SteamBox" was kind of an idiot though.

#18 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

Enjoying the video so far!

#19 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

He called them idiots and assholes with a straight face. :D

#20 Posted by CaLe (4021 posts) -

We need some kind of tracker for when the Giant Bomb people appear in GameSpot stuff. I miss these easily..

#21 Posted by Atlas (2454 posts) -

Tom McShea just said "Sony is going to be in this (tablet computers as game platforms) for the long haul".

Anyone else think of Will Smith eating eggs when he said this?

#22 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

@CaLe said:

We need some kind of tracker for when the Giant Bomb people appear in GameSpot stuff. I miss these easily..

If Dave cooked up somekind of thing for these GS visits in to the site that would kinda counter-attack the idea of these visits. These are made (partly) to draw audience from GB to GS and other way around. Also GB crew goes where it wants and that's probably the bigger reason they appear on GS side.

Now if someone from the community was willing to keep track of these visits, that's all good. I think some of the visits, if not all, are mentioned in the Community Spotlight which regurarly posts.

#23 Posted by Soapy86 (2634 posts) -

I saw this a few days ago. Ryan made those guys look like clowns.

#24 Posted by Trilogy (2675 posts) -

Watching Ryan tear into Mcshea about Vita games was so awesome. Not because I have anything against the Vita, I just enjoy Mcshea getting called out on his nonsense.

#25 Posted by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

Ryan freaking nailed it. I especially liked when he called the guy out for saying there's "10-15 good games on PS Vita", and all the guy came up with was freaking Hot Shots.

That's not what was asked though - there are plenty of "good" games on the Vita. Ryan wanted 5 exceptional quality platform exclusives, which are typically few on any less than a year old consoles. If we say that 85% or more Metacritic rating fulfills that the answer would be LittleBigPlanet Vita and Mutant Blobs Attack! (which has since been ported to PC, but is still a console exclusive).

#26 Edited by tineyoghurt (358 posts) -

Man, I think Ryan is totally wrong about the "SteamBox". Why would Valve get into Linux if not to build their own system? I think the bearded guy pretty much nailed what it will be (an open source PC that runs "SteamBuntu" by default).

Other than that Ryan was pretty awesome after he got going.

#27 Posted by Chaser324 (6651 posts) -

@BlackLagoon: Sorry...I misspoke a little. Yes, it was a discussion about "system seller" sort of games.

#28 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

Does it just get really intense, or is it like, one of those 'everyone is upset enough that it gets a bit awkward' discussions? I always feel super weird listening/watching stuff like that...

#29 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

Does it just get really intense, or is it like, one of those 'everyone is upset enough that it gets a bit awkward' discussions? I always feel super weird listening/watching stuff like that...

Really damn intense, you should watch the segment where Ryan challenges Tom to list worthwhile Vita exclusives. Vicious stuff.

#30 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

@tineyoghurt said:

Man, I think Ryan is totally wrong about the "SteamBox". Why would Valve get into Linux if not to build their own system? I think the bearded guy pretty much nailed what it will be (an open source PC that runs "SteamBuntu" by default).

Other than that Ryan was pretty awesome when he first got going.

Valve could get into Linux just because they want to sell games everywhere, they make a good profit just with that. Diving into hardware market has way bigger competition and with that higher risks. Even if they made their "SteamBox" it wouldn't happen because they intend to make money with the hardware (they wouldn't sell it at loss either), it would happen just to bring more audience to Steam.

#31 Posted by Barrock (3545 posts) -

Sad to hear Ryan is not a Dishonored fan.

#32 Posted by Baillie (4246 posts) -

I honestly cannot stand Tom Mcshea. I would normally say no offence, but it's really not something I can help.

#33 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@Chaser324 said:

That's not what was asked though - there are plenty of "good" games on the Vita. Ryan wanted 5 exceptional quality platform exclusives, which are typically few on any less than a year old consoles. If we say that 85% or more Metacritic rating fulfills that the answer would be LittleBigPlanet Vita and Mutant Blobs Attack! (which has since been ported to PC, but is still a console exclusive).

Wow, that actually made it even more sad. The "exclusive killer apps" of exceptional quality are either available on PC or a semi port of two games on the PS3.

To some degree I want to buy a Vita cause I want something new and shiny, and I'll probably get around to it eventually for P4: Golden, but every time I read about it I almost feel like it should be put out of it's misery. I mean it seems a lot more dire than the PSP ever did.

#34 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@tineyoghurt: Why would they make a steambox that is just PC components for your living room when people can either buy a PC or a console already? It's a totally ridiculous thing for valve to do. Microsoft and Sony take losses on their consoles and make up for it in software sales, why would valve incur losses on R&D and production of these 'steamboxes' when they are already making the money on software? All they would achieve in the long run is more headaches, an unnecessary bloating of their company and big losses financially. Valve has absolutely nothing to gain from making a console or PC for the living room.

#35 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I have to sneak a peek at an older episode after this, I can't imagine these guys holding up an interesting conversation without Ryan.

#36 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

We need an audio version duders!

#37 Posted by Pie (7109 posts) -

It was nice to see Ryan talk about the industry or what have you like that. The bombcast never seems to have that kind of discussion (which I think is a good thing really).

#38 Posted by CannonGoose (373 posts) -

@Baillie said:

I honestly cannot stand Tom Mcshea. I would normally say no offence, but it's really not something I can help.

I'm in the same boat.

#39 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

Okay just got to the part where they are arguing about season passes. The one guy gets asked if he would buy a season pass for a Souls game after denouncing season passes in general and he says yes because he likes the developer. WELL DUH DUDE! I'm sure people feel that way about Forza too! So your argument against season passes is super stupid.

#40 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@Miketakon said:

We need an audio version duders!

Don't you wanna see the shame on their faces as Ryan tears them down?

#41 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

It's not hard to see why. It was easy to predict Ryan's responses because the hosts were missing the obvious points. Cheaper PS3 because it's end of the cycle and that's the time to put out the cheapest to produce hardware... not because Sony is struggling. If I was a crazy person buying a current-gen console for the first time today, it would be a PS3.

#42 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@CannonGoose said:

@Baillie said:

I'm in the same boat.

Was he the dude that was arguing with the Medal of Honor developer around E3 time? That guy was a major dork.

#43 Posted by Slab64 (1059 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Okay just got to the part where they are arguing about season passes. The one guy gets asked if he would buy a season pass for a Souls game after denouncing season passes in general and he says yes because he likes the developer. WELL DUH DUDE! I'm sure people feel that way about Forza too! So your argument against season passes is super stupid.

Wow, yeah. That's dumb.

#44 Posted by Daiphyer (1341 posts) -

Ryan Davis put those boys down!

#45 Posted by Milkman (17034 posts) -
@Demoskinos

Yeah, I feel like that was the one opportunity that Ryan missed to really rip into him because it was just so dumb.
#46 Posted by tineyoghurt (358 posts) -

@Benny said:

@tineyoghurt: Why would they make a steambox that is just PC components for your living room when people can either buy a PC or a console already? It's a totally ridiculous thing for valve to do. Microsoft and Sony take losses on their consoles and make up for it in software sales, why would valve incur losses on R&D and production of these 'steamboxes' when they are already making the money on software? All they would achieve in the long run is more headaches, an unnecessary bloating of their company and big losses financially. Valve has absolutely nothing to gain from making a console or PC for the living room.

First of, they don't have to make the hardware themselves, they can partner with any PC manufacturer to make it (like Google does with Android), so it wouldn't necessarily be such a headache for them (they just supply the specs and the OS and they're good to go). Also, I think (with Gabes talk about the Windows store in mind) that Valve want to push Linux in a bigger way than "hey, we ported the Source engine over, seeya", and a "console" based on Linux would probably get third parties more interested in porting their games over (if they sell). I even see them selling it for a loss just to get it out there, because as you say, they earn a lot of money on software.

In the end though, It just makes sense for me with all the talk about a "SteamBox" (for the record, I think they'd have to change the name), the coming Linux support, and the TV-mode; It just fits together, like a jigsaw puzzle.

But... I might be totally wrong.

#47 Posted by The_Grindilow (432 posts) -

You can always rely on Ryan to kick ass

#48 Posted by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

@TeflonBilly said:

Wow, that actually made it even more sad. The "exclusive killer apps" of exceptional quality are either available on PC or a semi port of two games on the PS3.

To some degree I want to buy a Vita cause I want something new and shiny, and I'll probably get around to it eventually for P4: Golden, but every time I read about it I almost feel like it should be put out of it's misery. I mean it seems a lot more dire than the PSP ever did.

Well, if you look at the 3DS list it's it's mostly ports and reworkingsat the top there too, so I don't think expecting Sony to whip up tons of killer exclusives at once is entirely reasonable. But hopefully the compound effect more "good" titles (there's something like 10 Vita releases in October), PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, and the promise of more good stuff on the horizon (Tearaway, Killzone, Soul Sacrifice, etc.) will get the Vita over the initial hump at least, and we'll see where it goes from there.

#49 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

Thank you for that link. Very entertaining, and I do like Tom McShea.

#50 Posted by Baillie (4246 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

@CannonGoose said:

@Baillie said:

I'm in the same boat.

Was he the dude that was arguing with the Medal of Honor developer around E3 time? That guy was a major dork.

That's him.