• 173 results
jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jjnen

I'd just wanted to inform anyone who never visits Gamespot that our own Ryan Davis visited Gamespot's show called Quoted for the Truth. Arguments are pretty solid and things get kinda rough between Ryan and the Gamespot crew. It's pretty fun debate debacle and something that rarely shows up in the Bombcast.

If you have 50 minutes to spare you can view the video here.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Milkman

Saw this a couple days ago. Watching Ryan yell at people is a lot of fun.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By BlackLagoon

Well, they did ask for the full Ryan Davis cut through the BS experience, he just delivered 100%.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By WMWA

This was awesome discussion. Well worth an hour of my time

MonkeysDad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MonkeysDad

It was quite something to witness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it. Ryan putting people on blast is always a treat to watch. He should turn into a video game version of Andy Rooney when he gets old.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By MEATBALL

I was super impressed because I think Ryan pretty much nailed everything. We don't often get to see Ryan engage in that sort of commentary, which to some extent is a good thing, he is perfect at what he does with Giant Bomb, but it was a great watch/listen.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Ryan Davis is BEAST! Just jump to the part where they discuss cloud gaming. Also Ryan had some really good points.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Barrock

What is the argument over?

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@Barrock said:

What is the argument over?

Why don't you just click on the link?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By BBAlpert

Listening to it now, and Ryan opens with "I just want to start off by saying you guys are both idiots, Jesus Christ..."

This is going to be interesting.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

Ryan freaking nailed it. I especially liked when he called the guy out for saying there's "10-15 good games on PS Vita", and all the guy came up with was freaking Hot Shots.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ares42

This is sorta meanspirited, but watching McShea squirm after someone actually called him out on his BS opinions was just delightful.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By Atlas

I was nearly falling asleep listening to the two Gamespot guys, then when Ryan jumped in it really kicked the show up several notches; I'm halfway through and I'm enjoying it a fair bit. Weird to see them using that studio for something other than the Whiskey Media/Giant Bomb Radio Show/Call in With Dave.

Also been reading the comments. Much more reasonable and level-headed than I remember GS comments being in the past, and seems like a very warm reception for Ryan's appearance, despite some people having a problem with his swearing and his exuberance. It's actually worked out pretty well having the two sites serving their own audiences so far; Gamespot is like Video Game Facebook, Giant Bomb is like Video Game Reddit. If Giant Bomb guys show up on Gamespot shows I'll definitely watch, but I think that too much cross pollination would probably be bad for Gamespot.

Another comparison; Gamespot as a television show would be aired at 7pm, while Giant Bomb TV would be late night 12am.

EDIT: This is a really good way to demonstrate just how much more personality and charisma the Giant Bomb crew has compared to most other video game journalists; Ryan generally makes better points than the other two guests, but he's also so much more interesting to listen to. Maybe they should get Patrick on one time, maybe people would stop hating on him and would realise he's actually great at his job and a very good fifth man on the crew.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Funkydupe

Good work Ryan!

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Barrock

@Atlas said:

I was nearly falling asleep listening to the two Gamespot guys, then when Ryan jumped in it really kicked the show up several notches; I'm halfway through and I'm enjoying it a fair bit. Weird to see them using that studio for something other than the Whiskey Media/Giant Bomb Radio Show/Call in With Dave.

Also been reading the comments. Much more reasonable and level-headed than I remember GS comments being in the past, and seems like a very warm reception for Ryan's appearance, despite some people having a problem with his swearing and his exuberance. It's actually worked out pretty well having the two sites serving their own audiences so far; Gamespot is like Video Game Facebook, Giant Bomb is like Video Game Reddit. If Giant Bomb guys show up on Gamespot shows I'll definitely watch, but I think that too much cross pollination would probably be bad for Gamespot.

Another comparison; Gamespot as a television show would be aired at 7pm, while Giant Bomb TV would be late night 12am.

EDIT: This is a really good way to demonstrate just how much more personality and charisma the Giant Bomb crew has compared to most other video game journalists; Ryan generally makes better points than the other two guests, but he's also so much more interesting to listen to. Maybe they should get Patrick on one time, maybe people would stop hating on him and would realise he's actually great at his job and a very good fifth man on the crew.

I had to laugh at the guy complaining about swearing and the fact he has a gigantic pair of tits as his profile picture.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dezztroy

Enjoyable video. The guy Ryan argued with over the "SteamBox" was kind of an idiot though.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By musubi

Enjoying the video so far!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Funkydupe

He called them idiots and assholes with a straight face. :D

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CaLe

We need some kind of tracker for when the Giant Bomb people appear in GameSpot stuff. I miss these easily..

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By Atlas

Tom McShea just said "Sony is going to be in this (tablet computers as game platforms) for the long haul".

Anyone else think of Will Smith eating eggs when he said this?

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jjnen

@CaLe said:

We need some kind of tracker for when the Giant Bomb people appear in GameSpot stuff. I miss these easily..

If Dave cooked up somekind of thing for these GS visits in to the site that would kinda counter-attack the idea of these visits. These are made (partly) to draw audience from GB to GS and other way around. Also GB crew goes where it wants and that's probably the bigger reason they appear on GS side.

Now if someone from the community was willing to keep track of these visits, that's all good. I think some of the visits, if not all, are mentioned in the Community Spotlight which regurarly posts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw this a few days ago. Ryan made those guys look like clowns.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Trilogy

Watching Ryan tear into Mcshea about Vita games was so awesome. Not because I have anything against the Vita, I just enjoy Mcshea getting called out on his nonsense.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Chaser324 said:

Ryan freaking nailed it. I especially liked when he called the guy out for saying there's "10-15 good games on PS Vita", and all the guy came up with was freaking Hot Shots.

That's not what was asked though - there are plenty of "good" games on the Vita. Ryan wanted 5 exceptional quality platform exclusives, which are typically few on any less than a year old consoles. If we say that 85% or more Metacritic rating fulfills that the answer would be LittleBigPlanet Vita and Mutant Blobs Attack! (which has since been ported to PC, but is still a console exclusive).

tineyoghurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By tineyoghurt

Man, I think Ryan is totally wrong about the "SteamBox". Why would Valve get into Linux if not to build their own system? I think the bearded guy pretty much nailed what it will be (an open source PC that runs "SteamBuntu" by default).

Other than that Ryan was pretty awesome after he got going.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

@BlackLagoon: Sorry...I misspoke a little. Yes, it was a discussion about "system seller" sort of games.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Does it just get really intense, or is it like, one of those 'everyone is upset enough that it gets a bit awkward' discussions? I always feel super weird listening/watching stuff like that...

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Packie

@MarkWahlberg said:

Does it just get really intense, or is it like, one of those 'everyone is upset enough that it gets a bit awkward' discussions? I always feel super weird listening/watching stuff like that...

Really damn intense, you should watch the segment where Ryan challenges Tom to list worthwhile Vita exclusives. Vicious stuff.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jjnen

@tineyoghurt said:

Man, I think Ryan is totally wrong about the "SteamBox". Why would Valve get into Linux if not to build their own system? I think the bearded guy pretty much nailed what it will be (an open source PC that runs "SteamBuntu" by default).

Other than that Ryan was pretty awesome when he first got going.

Valve could get into Linux just because they want to sell games everywhere, they make a good profit just with that. Diving into hardware market has way bigger competition and with that higher risks. Even if they made their "SteamBox" it wouldn't happen because they intend to make money with the hardware (they wouldn't sell it at loss either), it would happen just to bring more audience to Steam.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Barrock

Sad to hear Ryan is not a Dishonored fan.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Baillie

I honestly cannot stand Tom Mcshea. I would normally say no offence, but it's really not something I can help.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackLagoon said:

@Chaser324 said:

That's not what was asked though - there are plenty of "good" games on the Vita. Ryan wanted 5 exceptional quality platform exclusives, which are typically few on any less than a year old consoles. If we say that 85% or more Metacritic rating fulfills that the answer would be LittleBigPlanet Vita and Mutant Blobs Attack! (which has since been ported to PC, but is still a console exclusive).

Wow, that actually made it even more sad. The "exclusive killer apps" of exceptional quality are either available on PC or a semi port of two games on the PS3.

To some degree I want to buy a Vita cause I want something new and shiny, and I'll probably get around to it eventually for P4: Golden, but every time I read about it I almost feel like it should be put out of it's misery. I mean it seems a lot more dire than the PSP ever did.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Benny

@tineyoghurt: Why would they make a steambox that is just PC components for your living room when people can either buy a PC or a console already? It's a totally ridiculous thing for valve to do. Microsoft and Sony take losses on their consoles and make up for it in software sales, why would valve incur losses on R&D and production of these 'steamboxes' when they are already making the money on software? All they would achieve in the long run is more headaches, an unnecessary bloating of their company and big losses financially. Valve has absolutely nothing to gain from making a console or PC for the living room.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ervonymous

I have to sneak a peek at an older episode after this, I can't imagine these guys holding up an interesting conversation without Ryan.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Miketakon

We need an audio version duders!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Pie

It was nice to see Ryan talk about the industry or what have you like that. The bombcast never seems to have that kind of discussion (which I think is a good thing really).

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By CannonGoose

@Baillie said:

I honestly cannot stand Tom Mcshea. I would normally say no offence, but it's really not something I can help.

I'm in the same boat.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By musubi

Okay just got to the part where they are arguing about season passes. The one guy gets asked if he would buy a season pass for a Souls game after denouncing season passes in general and he says yes because he likes the developer. WELL DUH DUDE! I'm sure people feel that way about Forza too! So your argument against season passes is super stupid.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Miketakon said:

We need an audio version duders!

Don't you wanna see the shame on their faces as Ryan tears them down?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By AndrewB

It's not hard to see why. It was easy to predict Ryan's responses because the hosts were missing the obvious points. Cheaper PS3 because it's end of the cycle and that's the time to put out the cheapest to produce hardware... not because Sony is struggling. If I was a crazy person buying a current-gen console for the first time today, it would be a PS3.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@CannonGoose said:

@Baillie said:

I'm in the same boat.

Was he the dude that was arguing with the Medal of Honor developer around E3 time? That guy was a major dork.

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Slab64

@Demoskinos said:

Okay just got to the part where they are arguing about season passes. The one guy gets asked if he would buy a season pass for a Souls game after denouncing season passes in general and he says yes because he likes the developer. WELL DUH DUDE! I'm sure people feel that way about Forza too! So your argument against season passes is super stupid.

Wow, yeah. That's dumb.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By daiphyer

Ryan Davis put those boys down!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By Milkman
@Demoskinos

Yeah, I feel like that was the one opportunity that Ryan missed to really rip into him because it was just so dumb.
tineyoghurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By tineyoghurt

@Benny said:

@tineyoghurt: Why would they make a steambox that is just PC components for your living room when people can either buy a PC or a console already? It's a totally ridiculous thing for valve to do. Microsoft and Sony take losses on their consoles and make up for it in software sales, why would valve incur losses on R&D and production of these 'steamboxes' when they are already making the money on software? All they would achieve in the long run is more headaches, an unnecessary bloating of their company and big losses financially. Valve has absolutely nothing to gain from making a console or PC for the living room.

First of, they don't have to make the hardware themselves, they can partner with any PC manufacturer to make it (like Google does with Android), so it wouldn't necessarily be such a headache for them (they just supply the specs and the OS and they're good to go). Also, I think (with Gabes talk about the Windows store in mind) that Valve want to push Linux in a bigger way than "hey, we ported the Source engine over, seeya", and a "console" based on Linux would probably get third parties more interested in porting their games over (if they sell). I even see them selling it for a loss just to get it out there, because as you say, they earn a lot of money on software.

In the end though, It just makes sense for me with all the talk about a "SteamBox" (for the record, I think they'd have to change the name), the coming Linux support, and the TV-mode; It just fits together, like a jigsaw puzzle.

But... I might be totally wrong.

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PizzaSauce

You can always rely on Ryan to kick ass

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BlackLagoon

@TeflonBilly said:

Wow, that actually made it even more sad. The "exclusive killer apps" of exceptional quality are either available on PC or a semi port of two games on the PS3.

To some degree I want to buy a Vita cause I want something new and shiny, and I'll probably get around to it eventually for P4: Golden, but every time I read about it I almost feel like it should be put out of it's misery. I mean it seems a lot more dire than the PSP ever did.

Well, if you look at the 3DS list it's it's mostly ports and reworkingsat the top there too, so I don't think expecting Sony to whip up tons of killer exclusives at once is entirely reasonable. But hopefully the compound effect more "good" titles (there's something like 10 Vita releases in October), PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, and the promise of more good stuff on the horizon (Tearaway, Killzone, Soul Sacrifice, etc.) will get the Vita over the initial hump at least, and we'll see where it goes from there.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By FesteringNeon

Thank you for that link. Very entertaining, and I do like Tom McShea.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Baillie

@PeasantAbuse said:

@CannonGoose said:

@Baillie said:

I'm in the same boat.

Was he the dude that was arguing with the Medal of Honor developer around E3 time? That guy was a major dork.

That's him.