Hey Giantbomb, help me make a definitive PC cooperative game list

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By hero_swe

Salutations fellow Bombers, my friend has recently acquired a better computer and so I want to help her get into gaming and get some more games for us to play together (she plays games like Sims and time management games). I've kinda grown bored with L4D2, so I've been making a list of coop games she could get into. A few things before we go though 

Now I'm making this list coop soley because I want to ease her in, I don't want to get her say something like Black Ops and watch her die over and over and it not being fun for her.  

The games have to have proper coop, too, and by proper I mean this: 
Fighting on the same side against a common enemy with a goal, either end of level goal or killing all enemies. This does not mean that games like Battlefield or Team Deathmatch games count. Although, props if you can recommend a game which has players on both sides yet it still being fun and not too "deathmatchy" (This is ofcourse all in different people's perspective, but as I said. I just want to make a big list) 

Here's the small list I gave to her before I came up with the idea of getting you guys to help me think up more games so...Here we go :) 

Age of Empires (Real time strategy)
Rise of Nations (real time strategy, little bit bigger scale, and goes to modern age)
Diablo 2 (Point and click action RPG)
Doom 1 and 2 (FPS)
Titan Quest Immortal Throne (point and click action RPG)
Half Life 1 Sven Coop, Half life 2 (different mods) (FPS)
Serious Sam (FPS)
Empires:Dawn of the modern world (RTS, 3D Age of Empires)
Ground Control 2 (RTS, no base building, just call in units, move around and fight)
Alien Swarm (Top down COOP Shooter, like L4D but topdown)
OpenTTD (Sim City like game, except you just do transporting, transporting people/resources, to towns/factories)    
hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By hero_swe

Salutations fellow Bombers, my friend has recently acquired a better computer and so I want to help her get into gaming and get some more games for us to play together (she plays games like Sims and time management games). I've kinda grown bored with L4D2, so I've been making a list of coop games she could get into. A few things before we go though 

Now I'm making this list coop soley because I want to ease her in, I don't want to get her say something like Black Ops and watch her die over and over and it not being fun for her.  

The games have to have proper coop, too, and by proper I mean this: 
Fighting on the same side against a common enemy with a goal, either end of level goal or killing all enemies. This does not mean that games like Battlefield or Team Deathmatch games count. Although, props if you can recommend a game which has players on both sides yet it still being fun and not too "deathmatchy" (This is ofcourse all in different people's perspective, but as I said. I just want to make a big list) 

Here's the small list I gave to her before I came up with the idea of getting you guys to help me think up more games so...Here we go :) 

Age of Empires (Real time strategy)
Rise of Nations (real time strategy, little bit bigger scale, and goes to modern age)
Diablo 2 (Point and click action RPG)
Doom 1 and 2 (FPS)
Titan Quest Immortal Throne (point and click action RPG)
Half Life 1 Sven Coop, Half life 2 (different mods) (FPS)
Serious Sam (FPS)
Empires:Dawn of the modern world (RTS, 3D Age of Empires)
Ground Control 2 (RTS, no base building, just call in units, move around and fight)
Alien Swarm (Top down COOP Shooter, like L4D but topdown)
OpenTTD (Sim City like game, except you just do transporting, transporting people/resources, to towns/factories)    
lakeport_abe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By lakeport_abe

left for dead 1 and 2

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hero_swe
@lakeport_abe said:

"left for dead 1 and 2 "

"I've kinda grown bored with L4D2 "
lakeport_abe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lakeport_abe

sorry i see you already said lfd, if you can find it and patch it i always loved system shock 2's coop, its a little broken, but still fun

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hero_swe
@lakeport_abe said:

"sorry i see you already said lfd, if you can find it and patch it i always loved system shock 2's coop, its a little broken, but still fun "

Was thinking of putting that on there, It is a little bit of a scary game though. She doesn't have a very high tolerance for those. 

EDIT: Also might not run well on my computer, considering it's multi-core and what not and with it being an old game.
lakeport_abe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lakeport_abe

i play the lego games (star wars, indy, ect) with my gf all the time, its good fun

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hero_swe

Do the PC versions have online coop (are there even PC versions of those? :P)
lakeport_abe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lakeport_abe

yeah, you can pretty much get most of them (except for the newest one, harry potter) for like 20 bucks each on steam. i cant tell if they have online co-op though.

Deiterbomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9  Edited By Deiterbomber

Are you mainly looking for FPS games, or are you guys equally into various genres?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

team fortress 2

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Chyro

Borderlands
Civilization series

BretG57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BretG57

resident evil 5
lara croft and the guardian of light

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HereAllDay

Red Alert 3's great with the co-op.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hero_swe
@Deiterbomber said:
"Are you mainly looking for FPS games, or are you guys equally into various genres? "

I'm equally into every genre really, but I'm looking to ease my friend in. Since she likes time management games I was thinking to start her in with RTS games, ofcourse. She does like L4D2 so...Yeah, hehe. If you got anything feel free to speak out about it. 
hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hero_swe
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

team fortress 2

"

Not surprised you completely missed the point entirely. On par for the course, bravo!
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By dbz1995

I guess it's time to recommend Heroes of Might and Magic III again.

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Driam

Icewind Dale 2. Never got to play that much of it back in the day, but the little I did was enough to make me understand why some people are way into all the D&D crapola.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hero_swe

Great suggestions guys, but we need more games. Need a big list for us to sift through and find the games, plus. Someone else might need this list too :)
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By crusader8463

Pick up an MMO. DC Universe is a good my first MMO if you are trying to ease her into different games. However, I can't recommend Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light enough. That game was my GOTY for 2010 after just one sitting playing co-op with a friend of mine. Literally within seconds of every time we load up that game to play it we are having the time of our lives, laughing at each others screws up and having a hell of a time working together to solve the puzzles.If you wan't co-op you can't get any better then that game as far as I'm concerned. 

Also, try co-oping the story mode of Dawn of War 2. It's a lot of fun.  

If your computers can run it, Saints Row 2 is a ton of fun just running around together doing missions and killing things. Even though it only ran at like 10 FPS for me, my friend and I had a blast playing it.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By armaan8014

Split second

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ErrorOperator

Empire: Total War!

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By zameer

Borderlands was great playing with a friend! If she gets bored by grindfests then you may wanna reconsider, though.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Jimbo
me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By me3639

Splinter Cell Conviction

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ajamafalous

Dawn of War 2 has a really good co-op campaign.

Maybe Dead Rising 2 or Resident Evil 5?

Deiterbomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26  Edited By Deiterbomber

(spacing this post out between suggestions)
Seconding Dawn of War 2, it is an excellent co-op strategy game, and the Last Stand mode is awesome.   
You could also pick up (preorder for the beta) the PC version of Monday Night Combat on Steam. The Blitz mode is pretty much like playing a third person shooter co-op-against-waves-of-computer-controlled-stuff DoTA (which is actually not a genre of game I normally like, but was pretty good).   
The Serious Sam HDgames are amazingly fun, if you want to ease her into frenetic FPS games (and its third person mode is actually playable if she'd prefer that).   
 Dead Rising 2 is a good offshoot from time management games (heh), and Capcom's ports are all really good (with maybe the exception of RE5, but that's only because the mouse aiming has emulated "stutter" that is just plain annoying).  
 The Alien Breed games are pretty great on PC, although I will admit I ended up opting to play it with my 360 controller anyway, not because the PC controls sucked, but because I just prefer top down shooters to be dual-joystick controlled. Also the co-op mode isn't nearly as long as the main singleplayer game. 
 If you want to have her try the Half-Life series, but you want to play with her to get her used to it, get them for her and download the officially supported Synergy mod (or the slightly more obscure Obsidian Conflict mod, which actually supports HL1:Source maps as well, but is slightly more complex to get set up) 
 Transformers: War for Cybertron had an excellent PC port and is a really good game, especially if you are a Transformers fan. 
 And finally, Killing Floor is pretty fun, but it's just survival stuff and it also has a somewhat odd learning curve between game difficulties, so approach with caution.
Oh, and the Splinter Cell games. Haven't played Double Agent yet (own it, just haven't gotten anyone to actually play it with me because I guess it was bad?), but both Chaos Theory and Conviction are awesome.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hero_swe
@Jimbo said:
"http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html

Do yourself a favour, forget the list and just play these:

Soldiers: Heroes of World War 2
Faces of War
Men of War  This series is unbeatable as far as co-op is concerned imo, and I've played more than my share of co-op PC games (there aren't as many as you might think, excluding RTS skirmish modes and the like). "

Haha. I do indeed love that series and all of those games. But I think they might be a little bit too hard for my friend to manage.
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jack268

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is amazing