Hey, it's a Palmer Luckey thread

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Everyone seems like they want to discuss yesterday's Palmer Luckey news, so here's one last attempt at it. Speaking as someone who was up until 4 AM reading the first thread, though, I'll go ahead and say that if the discussion becomes overly argumentative or shouty, we will most likely just go ahead and lock it again. It's Friday and I think we'd all probably prefer to relax with UPF and a cold beer than have to monitor a flamewar about internet trolling. So, be excellent and civil to one another if you want to participate in this discussion.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

What happened to him? Can we get a tl;dr?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

He (secretly?) used his money to help fund a pro-Trump, anti-Hillary internet meme machine.

This apparently pissed off a lot of people, including our very own Jeff Gerstmann.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Quarters

@gunslingerpanda said:

I am probably going to get some of this wrong, but essentially, he is a financial supporter of Donald Trump, and has some sort of subreddit promoting his political views. He might possibly have ties to sketchy organizations, or it just might be a case of guilty by association. Now, people are vehemently angry at him. They also found out his girlfriend liked videos that were in support of Gamergate and so on and so forth. If you want the full info dump, you can find it at Kotaku/Gizmodo and few other places.

Not gonna lie, that last thread was...worrisome. Hope this one goes better.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@giantstalker: Jeff said something about this? Completely missed that.

tanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By tanked

@gunslingerpanda said:

He (secretly?) used his money to help fund a pro-Trump, anti-Hillary internet meme machine.

This apparently pissed off a lot of people, including our very own Jeff Gerstmann.

@giantstalker: Jeff said something about this? Completely missed that.

yeah, does anyone have a link to what Jeff supposedly said?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Who knew that Palmer Luckey was an asshole. I had my suspicion.

And the Jeff Gerstmann comment is from the mixlr dated 22-09. It's in the archive, starts at about 4:00

Bfinstad86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyman04: While that article on Gamespot is concise and to the point, maybe don't wander into that comment section. It get's pretty infowars-like surprising fast.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@andrew2696: @tanked: @jonny_anonymous: This is all secondhand information I gathered last night from the other threads. I dunno if there's a mixlr archive of what was said, or whatever he retweeted, hence it "apparently" pissed off some folks including Jeff... take it with a big grain of salt

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ITT: People mad that someone doesn't support the person they support. Yet, if the situation were flipped they would probably be completely fine with it.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@bfinstad86: Yeah, I try and not read the comments on GS.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subjugation: supporting a political meme site and braging about how rich your are a both dick moves though.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#18 FinalDasa  Moderator

@subjugation: It's well within his right to support any candidate or political idea he wishes, secretly or not. It's also within anyone's right to view his actions or support as undesirable.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ITT: People mad that someone doesn't support the person they support. Yet, if the situation were flipped they would probably be completely fine with it.

That's not really why people are pissed you should probably read the original article posted.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By odinsmana
Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

He financially supported Nimble America, a group that has promoted White Supremacy.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By imsh_pl

I wonder if people were as pissed if Palmer had just poured all the money he donated to Nimble America directly to the Trump campaign.

@subjugation said:

He financially supported Nimble America, a group that has promoted White Supremacy.

Do you have some reference for that? For Nimble America promoting that stuff mind you, not the reddit pro-Trump pages.

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I feel like none of the bombduders have said anything on twitter or anything about any of this... which is weird, since the rest of the internet has been quite vocal... Pope's tweet in particular comes to mind.

Hoping the giantbomb guys have simply been to busy to sound off on this, and aren't in fact trying to avoid this brouhahaha since they've always seemed very chummy with Palmer. That would blow, and if Palmer shows up on another livestream I'm done with GB

don_dimello25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By don_dimello25

Jeff spends a good portion of the mixlr talking about Luckey. Jeff ultimately hopes Palmer eventually grows up and sees minorities as more than just harmful stereotypes, but he knows that being a billionaire at his age makes that unlikely.

Some good stuff about Jeff's youth as well.

don_dimello25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By don_dimello25
andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CoconutBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Palmer Luckey is so wealthy he pays people to make memes for him. That's ridiculous.

tanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I feel like none of the bombduders have said anything on twitter or anything about any of this... which is weird, since the rest of the internet has been quite vocal... Pope's tweet in particular comes to mind.

Hoping the giantbomb guys have simply been to busy to sound off on this, and aren't in fact trying to avoid this brouhahaha since they've always seemed very chummy with Palmer. That would blow, and if Palmer shows up on another livestream I'm done with GB

I would be shocked to see Palmer appear in any GB content for the forseeable future.

the_devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff spends a good portion of the mixlr talking about Luckey. He ultimately hopes he eventually grows up and sees minorities as more than just harmful stereotypes, but he knows that being a billionaire at his age makes that unlikely.

Some good stuff about Jeff's youth as well.

Do you know which Mixlr and roughly when? I would be interested in hearing what he has to say.

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's the ultimate combination of entitled (young, white, rich). He sounds like mini Peter Thiel. How long until he subsists on the blood of children?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa now, the mod team having to simultaneously moderate this thread and the UPF chat in 20 minutes?

No Caption Provided

Bfinstad86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: Probably awhile. But in the meantime, Peter lets him try on the Doctor Doom mask.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subjugation: I wish people didn't about this kind of thing.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With people as old as them(presidential candidates) they've all got ties to people tied to racism. This seems more of a political move than anything remotely racist. That's just the cover. It's just another left/right fight. If people were.a little more conservative with their emotions regarding who they vote for things would be simpler.

I don't think palmer luckey is a racist, just another fan of politics. I can't believe paying people to do something you can't is all people need to try and ruin someones life, when they are crying themselves to sleep because some people got fired for not being good enough to keep their company open. It's the american way, free market. If you can't handle that don't vote and ignore politics. Hope that people more reasonable than yourself are able to make the right things happen.

Not to mention even if you back racists it has very little effect on our nation. BLM has a much larger and more negative effect with their riots. You shouldnt be supporting radicals under any banner, especially not racists of any race. There is no good reason for it. You also shouldn't assume Palmer luckey deserves to be attacked like this. He's a mid 20's kid for gods sakes. Even if he IS an asshole he doesnt deserve what appears to be going on. Unfortunately since facebook is in charge and they lean left, like GB seems to, he may suffer some negative consequences that are entirely out of proportion. You lose your very public job because of some link to racism legitimate or not and that's really bad for your future.

don_dimello25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_devoid:

September 22, he starts to go in depth somewhere around 10 minutes in.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Praise be to the mod team.

(Seriously they're gonna have their work cut out for them)

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really know about the guy, but the notion of a funded meme smear campaign seems pretty ridiculous. Weird times...tho i suppose i can see the roots of the idea. ( marketing, media, satire...at least we are all clear on what those are.)

Don't know it just seems weird that you buy and create perceived outrage now. But maybe it's because people don't trust media as much anymore. Welp, we can't even trust a good old zeitgeist either it seems.

What a silly thing to do.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@imsh_pl said:

I wonder if people were as pissed if Palmer had just poured all the money he donated to Nimble America directly to the Trump campaign.

@flashflood_29 said:
@subjugation said:

Do you have some reference for that? For Nimble America promoting that stuff mind you, not the reddit pro-Trump pages.

The two founders of Nimble America are moderators on r/The_Donald. Just go visit that page or find any articles of its activity.

don_dimello25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is Luckey's life being ruined by people criticizing him for directly funding hategroups? He has more money than God.

Nobody's gonna say Ann Coulter, or Luckey's BFF, Milo have ever been hurt by people hating them. He can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

Remember that he proudly admitted to this in The Daily Beast article, he's quoted for Pete's sake.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

It's not so much that Luckey is supporting Trump. The problem is the way he is supporting Trump by funding a campaign of online bullying. A lot of these people are using racist caricatures, hate speech, and harassment to get their message across. It also doesn't help that Luckey and his girlfriend are involved with that whole nasty GamerGate business. The less said about that whole can of worms the better.

I guess Luckey is free to use his money as he pleases but this will just alienate him from gaming media who don't want to get involved with such a polarizing figure. It also hurts the company he co-founded despite the fact that Luckey has very little if anything to do with. If Luckey is that bored with his hundreds of millions of dollars and shoeless beach jumping than he could throw a few million bucks my way.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shitposting and memes are the worst form of discourse, political or otherwise. My personal opinion is that even dipping a toe in racist, xenophobic, misogynistic, etc., messaging is a bad look regardless of whether or not you really believe it or are just being a troll. Palmer fucked up, if this is true, because it doesn't matter what he really believes. The damage to his image will be done, and it will blow back on Oculus, whether or not that is really deserved. He is absolutely free to spend his money as he sees fit, and to believe what he wants to believe. No one is trying to stop that. Consumers considering purchasing products associated with him have the same rights to their spending choices and belief systems. While Oculus is owned by Facebook, and lost sales don't impact him directly, if it becomes financially burdensome to Facebook due to poor sales, they will excise him from Oculus or Oculus from themselves altogether.

In fact, my gut reaction to reading the news last night was, "well, I'm never buying a Rift now," and I'm still feeling that way. If I can ever comfortably afford a VR setup, I'll buy a Vive. I am not naive enough to think that some, many, or maybe even most heads of mass-market consumer goods and services (the Vive included) don't harbor some views I would find objectionable, but knowing that he directly funded the type of discourse that is routinely posted by the alt-right (for clarity, white supremacists) on social media is too much for me as a consumer to accept. I wouldn't feel this way if he directly contributed to Trump's campaign, because of course someone worth $700m would be more likely to support a Republican candidate than a Democrat, if for no other reason than the parties' historical platform differences on taxation.

He's also 24 years old and can absolutely change, if he so chooses, or if his life experiences result in him realizing that divisive, hateful speech probably isn't a good thing. Maybe he won't. I've said and done some dumb shit in my days, and consequences of that, opening up my views to really listen to others' experiences, and time are really the only things that resulted in me changing. Until then, I will demonstrate my opinion the same way he has: with my dollars.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll never understand why people waste their time getting so upset about these things, but I guess maybe it's just not my sort of thing. I'd rather just relax and enjoy a good movie or game rather than argue on the internet. Just seems like a lot more fun.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By imsh_pl

@maginnovision: Furthermore it seems weird to me to be specifically angry at Palmer for donating to what essentially is spreading memes. If one's against Trump, isn't that way better than giving that money to Trump's official organization, where it can be used to actually increase Trump's chances of being elected in a much, much more tangible way?

I also have a question for the people pissed off at Palmer: what's the reason you think that makes him a douchebag? Is it because he's now outed himself as someone who support Trump? Is it that he essentially funds controversial/vulgar memes? Is it the reputation of the parties/communities supporting the organization Palmer donated to? Or is it something else? I'm genuinly curious.

LiesToChildren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And Trump's numbers rise ever higher. Strange, that.

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lively

@maginnovision said:

Not to mention even if you back racists it has very little effect on our nation. BLM has a much larger and more negative effect with their riots.

I hope I'm not violating the "chill" directive from Rorie, but I take strong exception to this quote. The riots are not being organized by BLM, the actual organization is organizing peaceful protests, but when unarmed people are being killed in the street by cops, that understandably causes emotions to boil over for some people.

The reason that Trump is causing people to react like this is because he's much more overtly racist than any political candidate has dared to be in many years, and he's shown reckless disregard for the constitution, the rule of law, business contracts, America's diplomatic relationships, and seems to not care how incendiary his language is. This isn't a normal election, and the reaction against Palmer reflects this. He's not even supporting Trump via normal republican arguments, he's trying to propagate the ugliest corner of Trump's supporters.

Orangefreak92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spend your money however you like, you're free do to whatever you want. If you don't like Luckey's political leanings, show it by buying a Vive and not using Facebook anymore. Problem solved.

Bfinstad86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The irony of all this is that the proliferation of memes has made facebook basically unusable as a service. Its wall to wall pixelated bumper stickers. For the last five years, there have been only 3 facebook posts. One involving hatred or gloating about sports teams, one dedicated to parenting cliches', and the last to obnoxious political memes. As a non VR user, I don't really have a dog in this fight, but it seems like this sort of thing alienates facebook more even at a time when they are hemorrhaging younger users for other social media services.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly just feel bad for the people working at Oculus. This is a total shitfest for them and they don't deserve that. I also feel bad for anybody who bought a Rift with developers dropping support over this. Just kind of sucks people are shitting on an entire company and their consumers because of one dude.