Posted by Steve_Ramirez (1257 posts) -

For those deeply enthralled with our quest system, and have been wondering how our quests measure up to one another, then by all means give large thanks to our new Community Starlet, PsEG. He’s been making concise graphical representations of the most recent quests you’ve all been working hard to complete. 

Quest Comparison Graph as of Monster Mash

It’s no question that the community staff here at Giant Bomb love raw and unadulterated community data, which is why it didn’t take too long for us to notice Jonny Stone’s quest graphs. We’ve been keeping a close eye on him for a while now, and he’s sure put a smile on all our faces with his visual quest analysis.  

Here's what tough guy web designer Dave Snider had to say about PsEG's work: 
 == TEASER ==

"Always amazed by the Quest reporting of Giant Bomb user PsEG"

So if you've been um um um um um curious to know how Giant Bomb's most recent quest is chugging along, then allow me to link you over to PsEG's blog. His statistical analysis of the quest's progress thus far provides great insight as to why he feels that "we're doomed" when it comes to reaching the 3,500 Quest completions goal. 

Thanks again PsEG for your remarkable work, but please do us all a huge favor and organize your desk. We'll continue to browse the forums for potential Starlets day in and day out. Keep up the great work everyone, and make sure to check in if your name gets a shout out next week! 
#1 Posted by Steve_Ramirez (1257 posts) -

For those deeply enthralled with our quest system, and have been wondering how our quests measure up to one another, then by all means give large thanks to our new Community Starlet, PsEG. He’s been making concise graphical representations of the most recent quests you’ve all been working hard to complete. 

Quest Comparison Graph as of Monster Mash

It’s no question that the community staff here at Giant Bomb love raw and unadulterated community data, which is why it didn’t take too long for us to notice Jonny Stone’s quest graphs. We’ve been keeping a close eye on him for a while now, and he’s sure put a smile on all our faces with his visual quest analysis.  

Here's what tough guy web designer Dave Snider had to say about PsEG's work: 
 == TEASER ==

"Always amazed by the Quest reporting of Giant Bomb user PsEG"

So if you've been um um um um um curious to know how Giant Bomb's most recent quest is chugging along, then allow me to link you over to PsEG's blog. His statistical analysis of the quest's progress thus far provides great insight as to why he feels that "we're doomed" when it comes to reaching the 3,500 Quest completions goal. 

Thanks again PsEG for your remarkable work, but please do us all a huge favor and organize your desk. We'll continue to browse the forums for potential Starlets day in and day out. Keep up the great work everyone, and make sure to check in if your name gets a shout out next week! 
#2 Posted by JTMosh (257 posts) -

Pretty cool.

#3 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

Nice work

#4 Posted by snetErz (120 posts) -

Neat graphs dood.

#5 Posted by Smersh (228 posts) -

If you like graphs you should get into a little game called Cricket, it's the best use of graphing in sports ever!

#6 Edited by Trace (3551 posts) -

Thanks for the honor, gents! I'm just a dude who likes Excel and frivolous numbers a little too much, but I'm glad (and a little amazed, to be honest) I can bring interesting information about the quests to the userbase. Whatever I can do to keep people from making wild guesses about the success or failure of quests!

I also run Giant Bomb Forza Race Night and welcome newcomers all the time, but that's more of a shameless plug than anything.

Oh, and that's the organized part of my desk. You should see all the stuff out of the picture.

#7 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -

Always fun checking in with PsEG's updates and graphs. :) 

*tips hat*

#8 Posted by B0nd07 (1698 posts) -
@PsEG: Congrats on getting featured!  Good work crunching those numbers and putting them into visually pleasing graphical form.  And of course, welcome to the Starlet Club!
#9 Posted by Magicallystoopid (467 posts) -

Having gotten to know PsEG though Forza Race Night, I can honestly say what makes him a starlet isn't his great graphical work on the quests, but just the fact he is genuinely a good guy to play games with.  I hope so badly I can make it out to PAX East in March so we can hang out in person.

#10 Edited by Branthog (7349 posts) -

I wish there was a way I could opt-out of the quest stuff. I don't want to solve questions intentionally or unintentionally. Don't care about my level. Don't want the pop-ups. Don't want the little thing next to my pic. Plus, there'd be just a little less data for PsEG to crunch, then. :P

#11 Posted by datarez (543 posts) -

Congrats. I usually check out the graphs as well. I've tried to watch the quicklook 3 times but it won't unlock.

#12 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Eh, I haven't done quests in so long. The system should just die.

#13 Posted by steelknight2000 (433 posts) -

When will ConEdison be featured as a starlet?

#14 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

what, that quest was one of the easiest ever.  how can we not get 3500 completions in time!  Get on it GB!

#15 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@PsEG:  Congrats man, pretty cool stuff.
#16 Posted by tobygw (580 posts) -

Keep it up duder

#17 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

Well deserved 

#18 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Branthog said:
" I wish there was a way I could opt-out of the quest stuff. I don't want to solve questions intentionally or unintentionally. Don't care about my level. Don't want the pop-ups. Don't want the little thing next to my pic. Plus, there'd be just a little less data for PsEG to crunch, then. :P "
I've made stylesheets designed to hide just about any interface element on Giant Bomb. That includes quest stuff, although I don't believe I've ever gotten it to work right. It's tricky for me to test, because you can't just tell the site "Show me a quest popup". :(
#19 Posted by MisterMouse (3543 posts) -

wonderful stuff from this guy

#20 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -
#21 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@takua108: Thanks. That should be helpful.
#22 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

Oh, forgot to say: PsEG, awesome stuff. I hope people see these graphs and are encouraged to finish the Community Quest Challenges... like the one going right now, with two days left :P

#23 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

I forgot the site even had those silly things.

#24 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@takua108 said:
" Oh, forgot to say: PsEG, awesome stuff. I hope people see these graphs and are encouraged to finish the Community Quest Challenges... like the one going right now, with two days left :P "
Yeah, sure. You just want people to earn more experience points to spend in your underground betting parlor and make you rich. I'm wise to you!
#25 Posted by icytower38 (462 posts) -

I love stats myself, but could never come up with an idea like this. I've followed his work for a while and it's great stuff, keep it up!

Not to toot my own horn, well maybe a little, I did give him the idea to start comparing them. Probably not the first to do so, but the first graph doing so was created after my post :).

#26 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

Great work as always, PsEG!!!

#27 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -

Huge props, especially for the community events which he already mentioned.

#28 Posted by pakx (922 posts) -

you my boy, Trace! GBPRN4L!

#29 Posted by Impossibilium (684 posts) -

Ah this is ruined now!

This was the best kept secret of the quest forum, more fun than a lot of the community quests. Now it's gone front page mainstream it's not the same. There'll be all sorts of riff raff jumping onboard now. Booooooo.

#30 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -

Hip Hip Huzzah! 

#31 Posted by armaan8014 (5337 posts) -

Love community starlets. Hope to get picked some week :P

#32 Posted by WildTurkey (6 posts) -

love me some data.

#33 Posted by desku (12 posts) -

Graphs make me wet.

#34 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -
@Impossibilium said:
" Ah this is ruined now!  This was the best kept secret of the quest forum, more fun than a lot of the community quests. Now it's gone front page mainstream it's not the same. There'll be all sorts of riff raff jumping onboard now. Booooooo. "
Hopefully the attention helps to drive more members to hit bonus thresholds. PsEG is right, we're probably not hitting 3500 by tonight at the current pace...
#35 Posted by kittencake (99 posts) -

Nice!

#36 Posted by Jevonsp (18 posts) -

Interesting

#37 Posted by Hiver (29 posts) -

This is my first news item post. I'm doing it to complete a quest. It seems fitting that I put it on this article.

#38 Posted by rpoland123 (30 posts) -

great article, thanks

#39 Posted by buzz_clik (6932 posts) -

Always a fan of PsEG's sterling work, fer sure. Props well deserved!

#40 Posted by Krataur (346 posts) -

I've enjoyed your graphs and data since you started making and compiling them, PsEG.  Keep up the good work.

#41 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

Oh I'm a tough guy now Steve? Wait till I get back to San Francisco. :D

#42 Posted by ethan (776 posts) -
@snide said:
" Oh I'm a tough guy now Steve? Wait till I get back to San Francisco. :D "
I think he meant 'grumpy'
#43 Posted by Peetabix (54 posts) -

Cool

#44 Posted by Trylks (828 posts) -

Is that data available through the API? I like data and APIs. I wish all data was so accesible.

Good Work PsEG. You may like this talk: 
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/david_mccandless_the_beauty_of_data_visualization.html

I didn't make time to watch it yet.