This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1151 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@hailinel said:

I honestly have no opinion on Dan, other than if he is hired, it would be disappointing in the sense that once again, the incestuous nature of the games press wins out over finding new blood. However, I can't say that I have any fondness for Game Informer, as the magazine feels like it's targeted at fourteen-year-olds and the editors express very simplistic viewpoints. Any time I get an issue in the mail (which I don't want to begin with and would prefer if Gamestop didn't sign me up for it), I just toss it in the recycling unread. So if Dan had any major contributions to the magazine and not just the online publication, well, ouch.

That's already pretty much guaranteed since it seems they had someone in mind for the editor position before they even publicized it. Also, almost every career path is incestuous. And I've heard that Game Informer online is a different best, but I have no idea if that's true.

#1152 Posted by grainwetski (2 posts) -

Dan Ryckert has a month off till his next job starts. Which says it all.

Super excited about this even though 99.999999% of the content on this site is behind a paywall.

#1154 Posted by jimmyfenix (3853 posts) -

We need Dans dad though.

#1155 Posted by TurboMan (7512 posts) -

@sessh said:

@darkstalker said:
@csl316 said:

@fattony12000 said:
@danryckert said:

Is this position still open?

Love you Dan.

I'm just saying, if Dan walked in it'd be like when Bret Hart first appeared on WCW in '97 and we all lost our shit.

That sort of thing happening in video games entertainment... we're not ready. This is a family program.

yea but that just means hes gonna join the nWo soon.

And that would be a bad thing? nWo was the best thing that ever happened in wrestling.

ok, let's do an exercise.

Remember all of the great things that Bret Hart did in WWF?

Now try to recall one thing that Bret Hart did in the NWO.

#1156 Posted by Dalai (7019 posts) -

Meh, Dan can't do any worse than that other guy.

#1157 Posted by Mcfart (1611 posts) -

@hailinel said:

I honestly have no opinion on Dan, other than if he is hired, it would be disappointing in the sense that once again, the incestuous nature of the games press wins out over finding new blood. However, I can't say that I have any fondness for Game Informer, as the magazine feels like it's targeted at fourteen-year-olds and the editors express very simplistic viewpoints. Any time I get an issue in the mail (which I don't want to begin with and would prefer if Gamestop didn't sign me up for it), I just toss it in the recycling unread. So if Dan had any major contributions to the magazine and not just the online publication, well, ouch.

That's already pretty much guaranteed since it seems they had someone in mind for the editor position before they even publicized it. Also, almost every career path is incestuous. And I've heard that Game Informer online is a different best, but I have no idea if that's true.

Yup, everyone wants experienced people, and the college graduates are left interning or freelancing until they get a lucky break somehow.

#1158 Posted by YoThatLimp (1901 posts) -

@mcfart said:

@wrighteous86 said:

@hailinel said:

Yup, everyone wants experienced people, and the college graduates are left interning or freelancing until they get a lucky break somehow.

You've literally described every industry.

#1159 Posted by cAnDyMaN69666 (59 posts) -

Dan is about the only person I didn't mind over at Game informer and seeing as he's friends with the guys here I'd doesn't surprise me. I think he will fit in fine with the humor and be able to do more of his which was always suppressed over at GI because they were so family oriented. Looking forward to Giantbomb future and whatever Vinny and Alex cook up over here on the East Coast

#1160 Edited by zenmastah (891 posts) -

We need Dans dad though.

He already posted it somewhere that those videos will almost certainly keep on coming.

#1161 Posted by Kholto (7 posts) -

Now I wonder if it is too late to change from Electronics engineering to IT engineering one year in, had a lot of Java and learned a lot about UML+Unified Process...

Really though I doubt I can speak clearly enough as I am from Denmark and mostly speak English with other europeans.

Is the intend for the internship to be a yearly thing? Well, looks like you only accept overseas people for the permanent positions anyway. I look forward to seeing new people get integrated into the GB teams.

#1162 Posted by rmanthorp (3913 posts) -

I wAnT tO bElIeVe

#1163 Edited by ManiacJim (23 posts) -

Dans twitter account says "Heading to San Francisco"

#1164 Edited by darkest4 (416 posts) -

Dan would fit in great, would very much approve of this, one of the few "just hire a friend" deals that I'd be ok with, a lot of the other suggestions felt like they didn't really have any merit besides being friends of the site but Dan definitely has the right attitude, humor and experience for the job. Way better than most the other known names I've seen thrown around. Dan or some really good fresh blood would be my ideal choices amongst the suggestions here.

Also really don't understand people complaining about another white dude. Hire the best person for the job, not just hiring diversity for the sake of diversity so you have a token black dude or woman who might not be half as good as that "another white dude" would have been. If a non white dude happens to fit in best then great, but don't force it that shit is so damn stupid.

#1165 Edited by liquidsnakegfer9 (147 posts) -

Dan would be seriously rad during live shows, considering he was already extremely good at that for the time perioid that I watched that replay show that GIO made, but idk he doesn't seem like the type of guy who would fit in well during say those serious "industry talk" sessions on the bombcast, like the one about e3 and whether or not its still relevant that happened a week or two ago. I always feel like im being a dick by saying this, but a lot of the people at GI had some really stupid opinions. I know its dumb to keep complaining about the mass effect 3 ending, but I remeber a lot of people in that mag defended that ending as a fitting end for the series, saying people on the internet were just looking for something to bitch about (which was sort of true, but seriously no way that turd of an ending was a fitting conclusion) It always felt like the magazine was perpetually trying to appeal to the 13-14 year old demographic, which is why I grew out of it after I was done being a 13-14 year old and started craving more thoughtful and intelligent coverage from places like giant bomb. Dan was probably the only person there who I never stopped liking though.

#1166 Posted by liquidsnakegfer9 (147 posts) -

Although if we get to have more moments like this one, then you won't see me complaining at all.

#1167 Posted by Ashler (95 posts) -

@turboman said:

Got kicked in the head by Goldberg and stroked.

#1168 Posted by RenegadeSaint (1540 posts) -
@hailinel said:

I honestly have no opinion on Dan, other than if he is hired, it would be disappointing in the sense that once again, the incestuous nature of the games press wins out over finding new blood.

Well said. I'm sure Dan will do fine and a lot of people will like him, but I'm losing interest in Giant Bomb and more of the same is not what I'm looking for. In fact, as I've spent some time thinking about the current state of this site, I've realized there is a deeper issue at play here. Judging by the comments, a lot of people feel personally affected by Vinny's departure from the main office. This makes sense because the site has been kicking around for long enough (6 years in July if you ignore the GameSpot years) that readers/viewers have bonded with the staff and also experienced a lot of personal life changes. People have gone from awkward teenage years to finishing college and starting careers, while others have gained, lost, or just changed jobs as loved ones have appeared and disappeared. Hell, I've finished medical school, gotten married, and moved twice totaling more than 3,000 miles in just the last 3 years. In the same fashion, much of the current shakeup at GB is the result of important changes in Vinny's life.

So maybe this is just a changing of the guard for viewers and and staff. I just subscribed to cable for the first time in 7 years because my entertainment priorities and needs have changed. It's probably not a coincidence that I'm using GB less and less and consuming other media more. So I don't think it's a matter of Giant Bomb becoming worse. Instead, I think it's the normal course of things for both the audience and the staff to evolve. And that's how it should be. Stagnation is death in media and they are desperately trying to avoid that (even if hiring Dan seems a bit too safe and too conventional).

My two cents.

#1169 Posted by FinalDasa (1616 posts) -

I think Dan is secretly Zoe Quinn in a mask.

#1170 Posted by kishinfoulux (2287 posts) -

@sargus said:

@hailinel said:

I honestly have no opinion on Dan, other than if he is hired, it would be disappointing in the sense that once again, the incestuous nature of the games press wins out over finding new blood.

Well, to be fair, for an editorial position like this it makes sense to hire someone with at least some professional experience in the industry already (though it's smart not to make that a hard and fast rule, and thus it was a good idea to open applications to everybody). New blood finds its way into the industry, but those people work themselves up the ladder slowly and steadily in such a way that by the time you really notice them, they feel like they've been there forever. You might not even notice if an intern becomes a full-time writer, then an editor, until it's a few years later and you think of them as someone who's just been around forever.

Also I think most "new blood" are probably the kiddies you see on Youtube anyways. Most of them are trash and have no business in the "big leagues" as it were.

#1171 Posted by bboymaestro (237 posts) -

I'm watching Dan and his Dad play, and they really should have picked up Dan's dad over him. Guy is a ham.

#1172 Posted by Hailinel (24426 posts) -

@sargus said:

@hailinel said:

Well, to be fair, for an editorial position like this it makes sense to hire someone with at least some professional experience in the industry already (though it's smart not to make that a hard and fast rule, and thus it was a good idea to open applications to everybody). New blood finds its way into the industry, but those people work themselves up the ladder slowly and steadily in such a way that by the time you really notice them, they feel like they've been there forever. You might not even notice if an intern becomes a full-time writer, then an editor, until it's a few years later and you think of them as someone who's just been around forever.

Also I think most "new blood" are probably the kiddies you see on Youtube anyways. Most of them are trash and have no business in the "big leagues" as it were.

Youtube isn't the only place where new talent is showing up. There are a lot of smaller game news/reviews sites out there that are sources of developing talent that don't depend on a gimmicky Youtube persona to attract an audience.

#1173 Posted by RuthLoose (807 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@sargus said:

@hailinel said:

Youtube isn't the only place where new talent is showing up. There are a lot of smaller game news/reviews sites out there that are sources of developing talent that don't depend on a gimmicky Youtube persona to attract an audience.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the Retronauts/1Up crew eventually migrate to Giant Bomb in an editorial/ retrospective form. It's sad to see such little interest and respect from the major outlets for real in-depth investigations into the past.

#1174 Edited by horseman6 (391 posts) -

@darkest4 said:

Dan would fit in great, would very much approve of this, one of the few "just hire a friend" deals that I'd be ok with, a lot of the other suggestions felt like they didn't really have any merit besides being friends of the site but Dan definitely has the right attitude, humor and experience for the job. Way better than most the other known names I've seen thrown around. Dan or some really good fresh blood would be my ideal choices amongst the suggestions here.

Also really don't understand people complaining about another white dude. Hire the best person for the job, not just hiring diversity for the sake of diversity so you have a token black dude or woman who might not be half as good as that "another white dude" would have been. If a non white dude happens to fit in best then great, but don't force it that shit is so damn stupid.

The reason I come to the site is for the chemistry between personalities. Hiring someone for the sake of diversity doesn't fit unless that person has good chemistry with the crew. This is why picking Cara or Zoe doesn't make sense. Even though Patrick puts out good content, I never thought he fit in well, and with Vinny being on the other side of the country, they need people who will have amazing chemistry with the other guys at Giantbomb to to fill those very very big shoes. I'm extremely excited to see what Vinny and Alex turn out; I'm hoping for some ridiculous stuff.

#1175 Posted by RVonE (4634 posts) -

@darkest4 said:

The reason I come to the site is for the chemistry between personalities. Hiring someone for the sake of diversity doesn't fit unless that person has good chemistry with the crew. This is why picking Cara or Zoe doesn't make sense. Even though Patrick puts out good content, I never thought he fit in well, and with Vinny being on the other side of the country, they need people who will have amazing chemistry with the other guys at Giantbomb to to fill those very very big shoes. I'm extremely excited to see what Vinny and Alex turn out; I'm hoping for some ridiculous stuff.

That's why Carrie Gouskos would've been amazing. Back when she worked at Gamespot, she had crazy amazing chemistry with all the Giant Bomb guys; above all with Jeff. But she's on the other side of the industry now, so that won't happen. And of course Dan's tweets pretty much confirm who it's going to be.

#1176 Posted by Sessh (788 posts) -

@turboman said:

@sessh said:

@darkstalker said:
@csl316 said:

@fattony12000 said:
@danryckert said:

Is this position still open?

Love you Dan.

I'm just saying, if Dan walked in it'd be like when Bret Hart first appeared on WCW in '97 and we all lost our shit.

That sort of thing happening in video games entertainment... we're not ready. This is a family program.

yea but that just means hes gonna join the nWo soon.

And that would be a bad thing? nWo was the best thing that ever happened in wrestling.

Okay, fair enough. But, umm, he won the U.S. title a few times. So he did something. Yeah...

#1177 Edited by MrJorOwe (282 posts) -

Dan Ryckert has a month off till his next job starts. Which says it all.

Super excited about this even though 99.999999% of the content on this site is behind a paywall.

There's one premium video a week

#1178 Posted by FinalDasa (1616 posts) -

Why has everyone looked over the obvious hire?

Cool Baby motherfuckers.

#1179 Posted by csl316 (8475 posts) -

@finaldasa: Cool Baby is too real for this site.

#1180 Posted by Hailinel (24426 posts) -

@rvone said:

@horseman6 said:

@darkest4 said:

That's why Carrie Gouskos would've been amazing. Back when she worked at Gamespot, she had crazy amazing chemistry with all the Giant Bomb guys; above all with Jeff. But she's on the other side of the industry now, so that won't happen. And of course Dan's tweets pretty much confirm who it's going to be.

Yeah, Carrie has built her career in such a way that going back to an editorial position at a site like Giant Bomb would probably be a step backward. She held a high rank at EA Mythic and I wouldn't be shocked if she were on a short list of possible openings within other EA studios and divisions.

But the bottom line is, just because someone is a friend (and possibly a former coworker) of the staff does not mean that they are a good hire for the site.

#1181 Posted by RVonE (4634 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Yeah, Carrie has built her career in such a way that going back to an editorial position at a site like Giant Bomb would probably be a step backward. She held a high rank at EA Mythic and I wouldn't be shocked if she were on a short list of possible openings within other EA studios and divisions.

But the bottom line is, just because someone is a friend (and possibly a former coworker) of the staff does not mean that they are a good hire for the site.

Of course.

#1182 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1089 posts) -
#1183 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5230 posts) -

@finaldasa: Cool Baby is the long term intern.

He's actually the source of the GB hive mind. He's always in the back, never saying anything. Because he talks through the crew.

#1184 Posted by RonGalaxy (3129 posts) -

Okay, I changed my mind. This speculation stuff is pretty dumb.

#1188 Edited by AndrewB (7591 posts) -

I'd just like to point out that in the era Giant Bomb was founded in, I knew Jeff, Ryan, and Alex enough that I followed them in the afterdays of the Kayne and Lynch fallout. I followed the blogs that eventually became a bigger blog which eventually became Giant Bomb. I followed the Arrow Pointing Down podcast which led to the Giant Bombcast. When the episode came out in which Brad became a member of the team (I also knew who Brad was through Gamespot) I was ecstatic.

Then there was Vinny. I didn't know Vinny. He was a behind the scenes guy and for as much as I was a Gamespot nut back in the day, I never knew he was a member of the staff. I never appreciated his behind the scenes work. Most importantly, and getting to the point here, when I first heard his voice and wondered "who is this guy?" and knowing that since then, he's become my favorite personality on this site, I think I'll give the hiring decisions a pass until I'm 100% certain they don't appeal to me.

Oh, then there was Patrick. I never disliked Patrick, but he was at least a lesser known personality to me, much like Vinny. It was a similar situation where I felt like an interloper was suddenly tossed into my family. Turns out his articles and entertainment pieces through videos are some of the most frequent and most entertaining contributions to the site. That seemed like a feat even before he was operating pretty much alone, though it's a good thing that Spookin' With Scoops works best when he is. Point is that I'd read Patrick's work even before I associated it with him, but he didn't really become a part of my life until Giant Bomb, where he's become one of my favorite contributors. Twice surprised, I can give any new hire the benefit of the doubt until they prove they're lesser.

Also, #hireodwyer. Also also, I wish I'd had the credentials to even be considered, because I would have made a fine addition to the cast.

#1196 Edited by Cerberus3Dog (331 posts) -

I don't know what Dan's reply in this thread says about him holding the position. It's clearly not a affirmation of holding the editor spot. It makes me more suspicious that he is not the new hire.

#1197 Posted by pezcore343 (16 posts) -

I'll be pretty bummed if we just get more of the same.

#1198 Posted by Mister_V (1269 posts) -

I don't know what Dan's reply in this thread says about him holding the position. It's clearly not a affirmation of holding the editor spot. It makes me more suspicious that he is not the new hire.

My extensive bored investigations have revealed that Alexis, Dave and Danny have all stared following him on Twitter....... So make of that what you will.

#1199 Posted by MB (12281 posts) -

Alright guys, I just deleted about a page's worth of off-topic arguments about racism, sexism, and other nonsense.

If you were participating in one of these arguments and just can't stand not being able to send that next reply to the person you were engaged with, send them a private message and continue there.

Video games, guys. Have fun and don't be a jerk.

Thanks.

#1200 Posted by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -

You're joking, right? Please don't make me prove you wrong.