Hidden Camera Videos inside GameStop

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arenaswap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey bombers! While working on my masters degree, I focused my research on the used video game industry, its problems and how to fix those problems. As part of the project (but more for fun, really) I did a series of hidden camera videos inside GameStops. This is the first one... I'm hoping to get some more up soon!

And no, this isn't spamI've been a part of the GB community since day 1 (I still remember the Arrow Pointing Down days), but I created a new account just for work I'm doing with the ArenaSwap Project--I figure disconnecting this from my real name will help slow down the process of GameStop sending me cease and desist letters. ;)

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Uh, I like the "idea" that you're exposing Gamestop's "buy low, sell high" policy, but I think you're just being obnoxious, honestly. Nothing about what you're doing is novel. Look on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, or anywhere and you'll hear about the low trade in prices. You're just antagonizing them, and you're putting Gamestop hourly employees in a crappy position, despite the fact that they aren't the ones who set the prices. Gamestop has plenty of bad press, your videos aren't going to be the "hard hitting expose" that makes them raise their trade in prices.

And this seems like Youtube spam, so flag.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not the dudes who work there who set the prices, they advertise their prices and it's already well known that they buy low and sell high.

If you've never worked in retail, leave these guys alone they have shitty jobs dealing with the public, they don't need someone coming in doing this for "research" or "fun". If you have, you should know better.

arenaswap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbradley1992: Wow, tough crowd. Obviously, it's not news that GameStop is a ripoff. But I think often knowing something and seeing examples of it is two different things.

It's not meant to be a hard hitting expose, but a fun way to illustrate the absurdity of the situation. A company has reached monopoly status by paying out $1 billion in trade in credits, then selling those games for $2.3 billion. That's $1.3 billion in lost consumer value.

I've spent 3 years researching the economics of this, and future videos will dive more into the cause, impacts and solution. I just wanted to start with a somewhat humorous video. If no one cares, then my work is done and I move on.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@arenaswap: You're going to get a lot of current and former Game Spot employees on GB so don't be surprised if you get some negative response. I would love to see your research when it is done though. That sounds like a really fascinating topic.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not meant to be a hard hitting expose, but a fun way to illustrate the absurdity of the situation. A company has reached monopoly status by paying out $1 billion in trade in credits, then selling those games for $2.3 billion. That's $1.3 billion in lost consumer value.

A video explaining this would be much more interesting.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Gamestop is absolutely a rip off. I use my works trading board to sell my games if I want to.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8 FinalDasa  Moderator

This is Youtube spam.