#1 Edited by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

This past week, we have celebrated Giant Bomb’s 3rd birthday (they sure do grow up fast, don’t they?). This got me thinking: man, we have been through a lot of crazy, awesome shit in just three years. Something else far worse struck me: I have forgotten a lot of the details to all of these shenanigans. This has upset me because a lot of people have PMed me asking about certain moments in Giant Bomb’s history and all I can give them is your basic details for more of them than I would like. I have been tossing this idea around in my head for some time, but only Claude’s Happy Birthday thread and the user Qodot got me feeling bad enough to make me finally take some action and undertake this project.

What Exactly is this Project?

The objective of the project is to create a robust visual and written history of Giant Bomb and the events that have shaped it. All forms of media will be included in the project: text, pictures, audio and video.

Whiskeyocalypse 2011: Never Forget

These will describe in detail the history of our beloved Giant Bomb, both the staff and the community. And not just events, but also history of the staff (both Giant Bomb and Whiskey Media) and members of the forum as well as their “contributions” that made them famous. These can be good, like Joseppie, or bad, like ItalyCanadian9 (remember him?). Objects and characters are allowed as well, like Chie, Jack Frost and the Mario star that was supposed to build the website for Jeff and the crew.

They don’t have to be all-time groundbreaking events. This is going to be a big archive, so include anything big or small. The only criteria is it be something you think needs to belong, of any size. From the Big Live Live Show Live to Vinny trying to jump a refrigerator. Hell, if it’s something you think doesn’t belong but think other people would like it, submit it anyways. This is only the gathering phase. Right now, I want as much history as possible. I can handle as much as you throw at me. Anything from the Giant Blog era to the recent Whiskeyocalypse 2011.

As stated before, all media forms are welcome. Not only are they welcome, they are much, much appreciated. As the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. You math wizards out there can calculate how much a video is worth. Pictures are especially wanted for things like the ever changing layout of the website. If I can get pictures of how the website looked in every phase, I will be a very, very happy man.

How Exactly Do We Go About Doing This?

A fine, fine question. What I want this thread to be is for general discussion of the history of Giant Bomb. Things that can jog our memory of events and of anything we have to can help portray those memories and event (photos and the like).

For much deeper discussion, I want you guys to send me PMs of the history you would like to write about and your memories of them. You can include your multimedia in these PMs. Make sure to separate your detailing of the history and your memories, reactions and thoughts to those pieces of history. You also can have multiple history sections in your PMs (like detailing both Vinny casting Bufu and NEVER in one PM post).

Do not be afraid of writing a wall of text. You can go into as much detail as you want. The more, the better. After you are finished make sure the title of the PM is “Giant Bomb Archive: “ and what you are writing about after the colon, like “Giant Bomb Archive: Bufu”. If you are writing about multiple topics, separate them with a /, like “Giant Bomb Archive: The Matrix Online / Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh”.

EDIT: Make sure to include dates to everything if you can. Dates are very important.

Remember, this thread is for general discussion. You can still talk about everything, but save the deep stuff for the PMs.

When Do We Get Started?

Right now! What are we waiting for? Lets make this the best website archive on the Internet!

#2 Edited by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

Remember the good ole days?

#3 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I regret that I've joined Giantbomb recently, but I'll be sure to read up on my history, once it's done.

#4 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

man, that home page looked classy. kinda hard to believe that it's already been three years 

#5 Edited by Red12b (9079 posts) -
#6 Posted by AlisterCat (5484 posts) -
#7 Posted by TurboMan (7417 posts) -

It all starts here for me:

#8 Edited by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

If only there was some video about the origins of Giant Bomb, it would be useful for something like this 
I bet no one gets it.  Fine, I think the Giant Bomb: Origins video that I made would serve a purpose 

#9 Posted by TurboMan (7417 posts) -

Also, there is the fucking most crucial page on Giant Bomb that needs to be remembered in the early history of this website...

HAMBURGER PAGE!

#10 Posted by rmanthorp (3884 posts) -
@TurboMan: Damn straight!  

Also How to Build a Bomb!
Moderator Online
#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36065 posts) -

NekuSakuraba's thread about Giant Bomb memes is a good place to start.

#12 Posted by rmanthorp (3884 posts) -
Moderator Online
#13 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

@TurboMan: Photo Edit Thread is one of the greatest threads on the internet.

#15 Posted by Vinny_Says (5691 posts) -

Building the bomb is where it all began for me. That and that first podcast with Gatorade Tiger. I didn't "get" the whole forum thing for the longest time....

#16 Posted by rmanthorp (3884 posts) -
@Claude: OH MAN I remember them! Brb reading all of those again! Ahh this is great... 

What about this...  
Moderator Online
#17 Posted by ZombiePie (5588 posts) -

@Rufi91:Let's not talk about the iPhone app...especially seeing how support for it has been discontinued.

#18 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

What a great idea for a thread! Bad thing is, I got nothing to contribute....

#19 Posted by Sir_Lizardman (120 posts) -

A couple things off my head and only a couple meme:

I guess it started with Gerstmann-gate and then arrow point down; http://www.arrowpointingdown.com/blog/?p=16

March 6: Giantbomb open as a blog (from Wikipedia)

June 3 2008: First bombcast with Vinny and Brad

Tiger Woods Gatorade

Endurance Run

Vinny's fascination with Time Travel or what's up with Vinny

http://www.batmanbatmanbatman.com/

#20 Posted by TurboMan (7417 posts) -

Is there any allowed talk about Giant Bombs most secret... most Epic PM ever?

#21 Posted by rmanthorp (3884 posts) -
@ZombiePie: NO REGRETS OF THE DARK PAST WE ALL HAD TO BARE FOR SUCCESS! I'D BUY IT AGAIN! 

Yeah okay...
Moderator Online
#22 Edited by Interfect (978 posts) -
@ZombiePie said:

@Rufi91:Let's not talk about the iPhone app...especially seeing how support for it has been discontinued.

Just a couple days ago I got an iPhone 4 and the first thing I did was try to find the Giant Bomb app.... I was very upset with what I discovered.
#23 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

still one of the best videos ever made. Ever.

#24 Posted by Sweep (8826 posts) -

This could be awesome. What we really need is a timeline... anyways, here's some stuff:

The birth of the staff photo edit thread.

First printed Space Neon Lobsters shirt.

Bomb Should Have A Face.

The giant bomb disney song.

The community song.

Big Live Live show Live.

The IRC shenanigans.

"Some advice is needed."

Might wanna check out Notable events in GB history and the Giant Bomb meme thread.

#25 Posted by ZombiePie (5588 posts) -

@Interfect said:

@ZombiePie said:

Just a couple days ago I got an iPhone 4 and the first thing I did was try to find the Giant Bomb app.... I was very upset with what I discovered.

The Apple approval system killed the iPhone app if you wanted to know. Dave was always public about dropping support because getting patches to coincide with all of the site updates was messed up and delayed because of Apple.

#26 Posted by TurboMan (7417 posts) -
#27 Posted by Mikemcn (6958 posts) -
@ZombiePie

It happened, face it!
#28 Posted by BaconGames (3297 posts) -

Just dropped a 1600+ word bomb on CitizenKane about the origins of Giant Bomb. Hope he likes to read a lot!

#29 Posted by Daveyo520 (6653 posts) -

I remember the days where you were the 1st one to comment on every blog post. Oh the memories, *tear*

#30 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

The world must be aware of Ryan's Narcing tendencies.   

#31 Posted by Brackynews (4045 posts) -

Don't forget...

GB Merch

• The Oscar Mike shirt
  • International Shipping

In that order. ;)

#32 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

The best of the giantbombcast, and Giantbomb animated are big too.

#33 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1446 posts) -

I would think the birth of livestreaming events is something ubiquitous to the current Giant Bomb format. Whether it be the end of mmos, XBOXACLYPSE, or the Live Live Show Live. I think a detailed history of Live streaming shenanigans is one worth scribing.

#34 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -
#35 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

This was a classic moment and makes me pumped for galaxies finale.

#36 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

hmm I think working backwards might be easier. So  the 
1.whole site down fiasco..... 
2. Patrick joins the the team 
 3. Happy hour
4.big live live show 
5. New offices 
5b(numbering was a bad idea because I forgot things)saying by to xbox original live   
6.TNT & Deadly Premonition er( i think it was around this time)
7.mailbags&office videos was in strong force 
8.matrix online 
9.Tang 
10.P4 ER 
11.bombcat,build a bomb,quicklook,luchadeer.ect................................ 

Overall this  is a bad list I'll come back with a much better one.

#37 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

I forgot to mention at the start: make sure to include dates with everything if at all possible. Dates are very, very important.

#38 Posted by BaconGames (3297 posts) -

@CitizenKane said:

I forgot to mention at the start: make sure to include dates with everything if at all possible. Dates are very, very important.

I got some exact days but I got stuff within one week, is that good?

#39 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

@Sweep said:

This could be awesome. What we really need is a timeline... anyways, here's some stuff:

The birth of the staff photo edit thread.

First printed Space Neon Lobsters shirt.

Bomb Should Have A Face.

The giant bomb disney song.

The community song.

Big Live Live show Live.

The IRC shenanigans.

"Some advice is needed."

Might wanna check out Notable events in GB history and the Giant Bomb meme thread.

I totally forgot how you pissed off Dave over the topic of Facebook. That was a good blog post.

#40 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -

I think the original Endurance run is an important event for GB.

Also

Never forget white shirted Vinny!
#41 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

@Tuffgong said:

@CitizenKane said:

I got some exact days but I got stuff within one week, is that good?

That is perfectly fine. Every bit helps.

Also, thanks for the PM. Got tons of good stuff. :)

#42 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

@CitizenKane
Alright just by going through the news stories I'm going to post things I think matter. 

1. Welcome to Giant Bomb (dot com)  By  Jeff Gerstmann  |  March 5, 2008
  2. Tiger energy drinks - Showcase Showdown #1  By Jeff Gerstmann  |  March 10, 2008
  3. The famous couch  Showcase Showdown #2  By Ryan Davis  |  March 12, 2008
  4. Tang prologue  By Ryan Davis  |  April 14, 2008
  5. First Live stream (GTA4)  By Ryan Davis  |  April 29, 2008
  6. Titian Appears  Unprofessional Friday Continues Unabated  By Ryan Davis  |  May 9, 2008
  7. Brads first news article  In Space, No One Can Hear You Click  By Brad Shoemaker   |  June 26, 2008
  8. Let's Have A Beta  By Jeff Gerstmann  |  June 30, 2008
  9. Site is born  Welcome Back!  By Jeff Gerstmann  |  July 20, 2008
  10. Too Human video thing  2Humanalypse Now, Strictly for my G.A.M.E.R.Z.  By Jeff Gerstmann   |  Aug. 20, 2008
  11. Age of booty preview(crazy video)  The Age of Booty is Upon Us   By Jeff Gerstmann  |  Sept. 10, 2008
  12. The first and only? Punch loop Monday(video)     By Ryan Davis  |  Sept. 15, 2008
  13. Jeff rages at Megman 9(video)   Mega Man 9 Hates Me  By Jeff Gerstmann  |  Sept. 26, 2008
  14. My heart belongs   Giant Bomb's Untitled Disney Channel Show (Working Title) By Ryan Davis   |  Oct. 27, 2008
  15. Merchandise get!  Giant Bomb Clothing Now Available   By Jeff Gerstmann  |  Nov. 13, 2008
  16. API get!   Giant Bomb API Now Available  By Jeff Gerstmann  |  Jan. 14, 2009
  17. Woooooooooooo!(video)   The Essence of Red Alert 3: Uprising  By Vinny Caravella  |  Feb. 2, 2009
  18. Coke chug Challenge(video)   A Drink Chugging Contest For The Ages  By Jeff Gerstmann  |  Feb. 12,2009

19. I will update this post and add more later need to do this in small chunks. (stopped at page 106)
#43 Edited by BaconGames (3297 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

I think the original Endurance run is an important event for GB.

Also

OH YOU MEAN EVIL VINNY FROM THE FUTURE

#44 Posted by Interfect (978 posts) -
@ZombiePie said:

@Interfect said:

@ZombiePie said:

The Apple approval system killed the iPhone app if you wanted to know. Dave was always public about dropping support because getting patches to coincide with all of the site updates was messed up and delayed because of Apple.

Awwee. :( Well that's maybe a sign I should stop being a cheap ass and become a member for the mobile site.
#45 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

@TurboMan said:

There is definitely room for it. It definitely started out amazing at first, but then....

#46 Edited by Hizang (8533 posts) -

What would you rather have, your own dinosaur or a spaceship that goes to the moon.

Zojorushi

NDX

Vinny drops the C word

Hot dog maker

Giant Gummy Bear

The Flea Bomb

Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh!

Batman Batman Batman

EMAILS!

Alex was offered the job on the podcast before Brad and Vinny, yet he declined.

Arrow Pointing Down

Energy drinks

Pullin a Brad

Billy Daddy, Sarah and mommy.

#47 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -

This thread is going to be amazing.

#48 Posted by Qodot (105 posts) -

Is there some sort of way to keep rolling updates of the history? I think it would be useful to have a "current revision" or something like that, so people know what's already in the archive. For example, I witnessed the Whiskeypocalypse, but I think people have already submitted information on that, so I don't want to be redundant.
If there was a Wikia or something like that (can you create those for free?), that might be useful for building a history. People could put some barebones information on events, then improve it over time, with better writing and people adding their own memories of specific details and so on (or even writing entire separate "journals," like the blog posts some people wrote about surviving the Whiskeypocalypse, and linking to them from the main page).

The only thing I can think of to contribute right now (that doesn't have a record you can just see for yourself) is inconsequential memes from Whiskeypocalypse like Hardcore Dave's InSnider and DAT SPEAR. Oh, and Patrick Klepek posting news on Google Docs. 

There's some stuff which is useful, like a documentation of the Whiskeypocalypse, since it provides a convenient way to read what happened. But you can just ask anyone, or watch the stream, if you're curious about that. I think a really important use of this is that together the community can assemble a more complete picture of Giantbomb from our collective memories than anyone could alone - including memories that aren't in videos, but in difficult-to-find threads, or even chats that weren't saved. If we don't write that down now, it could just be lost, which is a tragedy as a lot of this stuff is very funny and interesting.

Hmmm. On a related note, maybe we should download the Whiskeypocalypse stuff off Justin.tv and put it up on some hosting site? I don't think it's on Giant Bomb, and it seems that Justin.tv's archive videos are deleted after a while.

#49 Posted by AquaGeneral (122 posts) -

The only notable thing that I haven't seen any mention of prior is the Embiggen/Debiggen feature. I originally didn't know this was a fairly big meme until I just stumbled upon this topic. The icon contains the name "andre"; a direct reference to the wrestler "Andre the Giant". In the 07-15-11 Happy Hour, Dave references this by saying something along the lines of "You just embiggened me".

#50 Posted by Redbullet685 (6029 posts) -
@TurboMan said:

Epic PM is the worst thing ever.