Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
Link.
What do you think?
I caught Black Mesa references throughout, and the combine sounds make it pretty obvious, too.

RyanJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RyanJW

Looks like it's meant to be part of the HL2 universe — there's a citadel at 2:56, but not the one we know and love (there is more than one).

However it could just be from someone into video editing, as a university project or whatever.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

I don't care who made it, because it was awesome regardless.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

Lets get one thing straight, that was somewhat badass if but a little abtsract. However I'm not so sure thats a viral marketing scheme for Episode 3. But it does really seem to resemble the same style as that other HL2 "movie trailer" that appear not so long ago, perhaps its another part?

Either way that was awesome. Awesome I say.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
Hamz said:
"However I'm not so sure thats a viral marketing scheme for Episode 3."
The first conclusion I drew from the video is that it was, since it's pretty damned close to GDC. I'm not sure though, but yeah, it's an awesome video.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Hamz
AnimZero said:
"Hamz said:
"However I'm not so sure thats a viral marketing scheme for Episode 3."
The first conclusion I drew from the video is that it was, since it's pretty damned close to GDC. I'm not sure though, but yeah, it's an awesome video."
You could be right, I didn't actually think of that. It would make sense for them to start the hype train now before GDC, then E3 etc.

One thing I noticed was that black box with the red ring, is that a subtle jab at te 360? (Elite is black, red ring etc).

Also mentioning it as a Black Box, is that reference to the version of the Orange Box that didn't quite get released (atleast here in the UK I never remember seeing any Black Box for retail sale).

Oh god you've got me started and I'm mean't to be food shopping in 10 minutes.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tmthomsen

It's a Samsung commercial as far as I can see.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Ineedaname

It's not a viral video imo, if you go on the guys profile it says he's Dutch and if you look when he goes through the electronic doors, I'm pretty sure there's Dutch on there, and since Valve is an American company..........Also if you watch his other video "storm chasers" the man in that is wearing the same white outfit as they are in that video.

Hype over, go home, nothing to see here =D

EDIT: If it was a samsung commercial why would they open with a phone that has a dead battery? Not really playing to your strengths.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BoG

I'm going to say no. It's just a video that uses HL2 sound effects. Were it made by Valve they'd have had Black Mesa and Aperture, not Babel research. Inspired by Half Life, but not actually Half Life.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I'll have to say no as well, however it's a nice video. Oh and Ineedaname nice picture, pure hilarity.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
BoG said:
"I'm going to say no. It's just a video that uses HL2 sound effects. Were it made by Valve they'd have had Black Mesa and Aperture, not Babel research. Inspired by Half Life, but not actually Half Life."
From 2:00 - 2:40 in the bottom in the ticker it says, "Largest single collapse in history since Black Mesa." Every ten seconds or so.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By mracoon

Well there was some Half-life 2 internet short film that came out not too long ago, it's probably related to that.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By Geno

6 years after HL2 was released, I STILL don't know why people like that game.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gizmo

THIS IS USING LOST MUSIC.

FROM LOST.

Which means, unless Valve has a deal with ABC, this is fake,fake fake.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By Cirdain

flawless

NinjaSquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NinjaSquirrel

Definately not made by valve, but still awesome video.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Pie
Ineedaname said:
"It's not a viral video imo, if you go on the guys profile it says he's Dutch and if you look when he goes through the electronic doors, I'm pretty sure there's Dutch on there, and since Valve is an American company..........Also if you watch his other video "storm chasers" the man in that is wearing the same white outfit as they are in that video.Hype over, go home, nothing to see here =DEDIT: If it was a samsung commercial why would they open with a phone that has a dead battery? Not really playing to your strengths."

I cant remeber where half life 2 is set (poland?) but its definetly not america.
tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tokyochicken

This video may not be anything related to H2 Ep 3, but its still pretty badass.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Snail

Well, there is this TF2 clan called What's in the box.

And check the official website.
When you mouse over the box some of the letters below get replaced by ?'s.
Maybe the letters form some sort of anagram?

EDIT: A comment on YouTube said:

"That was sweet, and you used the LOST soundtrack! Well done, it's great!"

I don't think Valve would use the LOST soundtrack, and I don't think that parts of their video would seem home made.
RyanJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RyanJW
Gizmo said:
"THIS IS USING LOST MUSIC.FROM LOST.Which means, unless Valve has a deal with ABC, this is fake,fake fake."

What, you mean some kind of cross-company deal like this? ;D

I still say university project or something, though.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ineedaname
Pie said:
"Ineedaname said:
"It's not a viral video imo, if you go on the guys profile it says he's Dutch and if you look when he goes through the electronic doors, I'm pretty sure there's Dutch on there, and since Valve is an American company..........Also if you watch his other video "storm chasers" the man in that is wearing the same white outfit as they are in that video.Hype over, go home, nothing to see here =DEDIT: If it was a samsung commercial why would they open with a phone that has a dead battery? Not really playing to your strengths."
I cant remeber where half life 2 is set (poland?) but its definetly not america."

But either way not holland right?

derekh1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By derekh1029

/film said it was filmed in the netherlands at a university there. as for a connection to lost and JJ abrams, He has done a lecture at the TED conference on why he loves mysteries and how he has a box with a question mark on it that he never opens to keep him inspired. the lecture was called The mystery box if you like lost and jj abrams check out the lecture its pretty good. Plus the dude loves his viral marketing and first person videos ( lost viral campaigns, cloverfield, and cloverfields ad campaign) i am guessin a student project but it would be cool if this was something more interesting. pretty thought out with the website and all. there is a picture in the website as well at (http://www.whatsinthebox.nl/anti.jpg )

Avatar image for parrapatehrappa
ParrapatehRappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ParrapatehRappa

No idea what to think of it really.

Part of me wants it to be a viral video from Valve to promote Episode 3, or heck, even Half-Life 3. But part of me also thinks it may not have anything to do with Valve, but a tribute or something to the Half-Life series.

All in all, I found it to be a very good video. I'm tempted to watch it again. Plus that whole "what's in the box?" site and the box itself are pretty interesting. There's no doubt it's promoting something. It's just a question of.....what?

Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Foil_Charizard

There are actually quite a few in game references to  LOST in HL Episode 2. Valve are confessed fans of the show.

deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deadmonkeys

Did watching it in full screen give anyone else a bit of motion sickness?
Now I know why Mirror's Edge has that little dot in the center.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Meowayne

Is image tracking technology for amateur users this advanced already?

The tracking and impact effects quality and professionalism is waaay beyond what I would expect from amateur / student films. ._.

And then, if you're such a pro at this stuff, why cheaply use sound and music from other sources, and well-known sources for that matter?

I don't expect viral videos to use unlicenced sound and music from two completely different sources,
but I don't expect student films to have effects that professional, either.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By PureRok

I doubt it's by Valve. It didn't feel like Valve or seem like their style.

TMThomsen said:

"It's a Samsung commercial as far as I can see."
How do you gather that? Because the phone that wasn't dead just happened to be a Samsung? The first phone he grabbed was Samsung too (which he promptly threw to the floor). Besides, if it was a commercial for a phone, they wouldn't be using sounds from Half-Life 2 or TV shows.

That, and it's too elaborate to be a cellphone commercial.

RyanJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RyanJW
Meowayne said:
"Is image tracking technology for amateur users this advanced already? The tracking and impact effects quality and professionalism is waaay beyond what I would expect from amateur / student films. ._.And then, if you're such a pro at this stuff, why cheaply use sound and music from other sources, and well-known sources for that matter?I don't expect viral videos to use unlicenced sound and music from two completely different sources,but I don't expect student films to have effects that professional, either."

I think it's quite blatantly meant to seem like it's part of the HL2 universe, which is why HL2 sound effects were used. There're direct references to Black Mesa in the video, and that huge tower is so similar to HL2's citadel and the way it breaks down in the add-on episodes it cannot possibly be coincidental. We already known there're multiple citadels around the world.

As for taking music from other sources... well, that's pretty much what students do. :E

As for the technology, students typically have access to the same software that professionals use — even if not always legally. I see absolutely no reason to believe this couldn't be the work of a student or amateur. The visual effects industry wants people who can produce material at a similar level to someone who does it for a living. They don't hire people who can't make stuff that looks reasonably professional.