Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Being raised in Philly since I was a kid during the 90s, I've been born into the world of ice hockey.  I have fond memories of going to Flyer games with my dad and brother, and remember the amazing year of 1997...so many good memories.  

I remember my very first NHL game was NHL '95 for PC and I loved the living hell out of it.  Then we got into NHL HITZ and loved the hell out of that.  I remember always willing to do another's chores to pick the Flyers...man, I was a real hockey "otaku" as a kid growing up.  

Anyways, I got my hands on NHL '10 recently, and my mind has be fucked to the ultimate limit.  From the screaming of the crowds, "LETS GO FLYERS, LETS GO!" to the insanity of the controllers, to the basic nature of the sport.  I'm just in awe.

I just found out that games no longer end in a tie but always go to a shootout...again, my mind was blown.

The controllers for NHL'10 are just insane...I found out I can switch to the classic way and I did in an instant.  I just can't figure out how to check and speed burst, and just surprised all the line changes are put on the face buttons.  

This sense of uneasyness hurts a lot...I'm too scared to go back to NHL'10 and I know it's my mistake for not keeping up for hockey for almost 5 years of my life.  I just slowly lost interest as I got older...but suddenly playing NHL'10, I remember all the memories I had with my brother and friends growing up.  We loved hockey in our neighborhood...we played street hockey every Saturday and Sunday, much to the cars disapproval.

Hockey games have changed...I feel so old.  I think I might shed a few tears as well...all those memories growing up in Philly, remembering old friends, and just the thrill of the sport.  I'm tempted to just close up NHL'10 and call it goodbye to the NHL for good.  Jumping back in out of no where was dangerous...and the game overwhelms me.  

I dunno why I'm typing this, just had to get it off my chest.  I got a trophy in NHL'10 and called it a day/night.  If someone told me NHL'10 is the greatest sports game ever made, I'd believe them...but it's just too complicated for me.  The hilarity of this is that I found the MGS4 controls far too simple.  Hah.

Thanks for listening.  :)

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By bed

i remember my first hockey game was NHL 97 on the pc...holy shit, that game was so awesome, then i got 99 which blew my fucking mind.  i skipped hockey games for a while till i got NHL 06 for my PS2 and started watching hockey again, which was a good time (go habs go :D). then i lost interest, and picked up NHL 09 when i got my PS3. i agree with you on the controls, they were insane and i couldn't be arsed to get used to them. it's crazy to see how much hockey games have changed. i'd do anything to play 99 again..

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Suicrat

NHL 10 is the best hockey game yet, Kaos. You should give it a chance with the standard controls. You need to hold the controller as you do for a shooter: both thumbs on the sticks, both index fingers at the triggers. You check, shoot, and deke with the right stick, and there is no speed burst button any more. If you want to put some distance between yourself and the closest defender when you're on the rush, simply tap the right bumper (or R1 if you're using a PS3) and you'll push the puck ahead of you, and without the puck you skate faster so you catch up to it. If you want some more tips, PM me.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Jimbo

NHL '95 (Mega Drive) was sublime.  I'm British, so I know precisely nothing about ice hockey, but I still remember Roenick being awesome and Chelios getting into (and winning) a fight every game.

I also had Brett Hull Hockey 95 - one of the first PC games I ever owned - which was decidedly less sublime.

I look at the new NHL games and they look awesome, but way too in-depth for me to appreciate.  I agree that comparing the graphics is a good way to make yourself feel old, it also makes you realise how far gaming has come in only 15 years.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By KaosAngel
@Suicrat said:
" NHL 10 is the best hockey game yet, Kaos. You should give it a chance with the standard controls. You need to hold the controller as you do for a shooter: both thumbs on the sticks, both index fingers at the triggers. You check, shoot, and deke with the right stick, and there is no speed burst button any more. If you want to put some distance between yourself and the closest defender when you're on the rush, simply tap the right bumper (or R1 if you're using a PS3) and you'll push the puck ahead of you, and without the puck you skate faster so you catch up to it. If you want some more tips, PM me. "
You got the PS3 version?  How do I get my home screen to show the Flyers and not the fucking Maple Leafs? 
matraque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By matraque

NHL10 is the best sports game ever made... until NHL11
yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By yeahno

Go Pens!
My friend got me into them last year... or January?
But coming from someone who never watched hockey before the Pens/Flyers series was my favorite of the year. So much hate in one place! It was awesome.
But to keep on topic... I haven't really played hockey games except to get my ass kicked by my same friend who got me into hockey in the first place.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cube

Completely disagree on every level.

NHL 10 improves on the original formula of NHL in nearly every way, and it feels way more satisfying scoring goals.

But then again I don't think you're born into the world of hockey if you grew up in the states except Detroit. Maybe Chicago. Call me crazy.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

I remember playing a wayne gretzky hockey game on the genesis, and when everyone entered the arena the announcer would yell out the player's names like "waaaaaaaaayne ... gretsky!!!!"  and then he would do the same for whatever name you entered for your skater but only the first name lol

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By breadfan

I haven't played a hockey game in years as well and I loved the NHL 10 demo.  I am definitely going to pick it up soon. 

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Suicrat
@KaosAngel said:
" @Suicrat said:
" NHL 10 is the best hockey game yet, Kaos. You should give it a chance with the standard controls. You need to hold the controller as you do for a shooter: both thumbs on the sticks, both index fingers at the triggers. You check, shoot, and deke with the right stick, and there is no speed burst button any more. If you want to put some distance between yourself and the closest defender when you're on the rush, simply tap the right bumper (or R1 if you're using a PS3) and you'll push the puck ahead of you, and without the puck you skate faster so you catch up to it. If you want some more tips, PM me. "
You got the PS3 version?  How do I get my home screen to show the Flyers and not the fucking Maple Leafs?  "
No, I have the 360 version, but I played NHL 09 on the PS3, and the button layout was identical across both versions.

As for changing the backgrounds, they're cycled at random. (Though mine keeps showing up with Shane Doan and those god-awful Phoenix Coyote third jerseys.)