HOLY ****, FF13-2 gets mad low reviews on amazon jp. 6/10 average

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cloud360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cloud360

http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B004K6L0DG/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

A "perfect" game like this (referring to famitsu's and dengeki's perfect score), should not be getting these scores?

In fact, gundam on ps3 got 4.5/5 stars on amazon jp.

Now the question must be asked, is Square Enix paying famitsu or something? Has square enix lost a signifcant chunk of its japan fanbase, because otherwise why are the reviews so low?

Whats your opinion?

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By Termite

Looks like people don't much care for the ending.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DukesT3

aw no!

cloud360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cloud360

@Termite said:

Looks like people don't much care for the ending.

That is bad, and are you saying people rated the game really low just, because they didnt like the ending? because it has like 8 ending like chrono trigger.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SadPatrol

I don't care what reviews it gets. I liked 13 so I will buy this game regardless. If you didn't like 13 don't get this one. Pretty simple

cloud360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cloud360

This is very bad. Its record breakingly low for an FF game

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Lautaro

@cloud360 said:

Now the question must be asked, is Square Enix paying famitsu or something? Has square enix lost a signifcant chunk of its japan fanbase, because otherwise why are the reviews so low?

A game getting some subpar user reviews compared to a publication does not automatically equate to said publication being paid off.

@SadPatrol said:

I don't care what reviews it gets. I liked 13 so I will buy this game regardless. If you didn't like 13 don't get this one. Pretty simple

Also this.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mandude

After the comments made from the developers about this game, I was really looking forward to it. While I liked 13, I thought it left out a lot of the things I love about FF. This saddens me.

8 different endings? Lame...

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Doctorchimp

Am I an airship captain in a SNES style Final Fantasy world yet? No? Then I ain't buying this Final Fantasy.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

So now we care about amazon reviews?

I'm done with video games, it was nice meeting you guys.

cloud360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cloud360

...in my opinion, if SE doesn't turn things around (maybe go back to their roots, bring back world map and turnbased atb battles) then this could be the end of FF

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp

@cloud360 said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

So now we care about Amazon reviews?

it seems representative. look at FF7's reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AF%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A7%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BB%E3%82%A8%E3%83%8B%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9-236025011-%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%A1%E3%83%83%E3%83%88-%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%8A%E3%83%AB%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%82%B8%E3%83%BCVII-%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8A%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%8A%E3%83%AB/dp/B000FNY5EE/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1325238540&sr=1-2

@cloud360 said:

...in my opinion, if SE doesn't turn things around (maybe go back to their roots, bring back world map and turnbased atb battles) then this could be the end of FF

You're either a troll...

Or you need to switch hobbies. I ain't joking duder.

EDIT: Also if anything that helps XIII-2 because we all know VII was poop.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JJOR64

I guess Final Fantasy isn't "the thing" anymore in Japan.

cloud360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cloud360

@Doctorchimp said:

@cloud360 said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

So now we care about Amazon reviews?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AF%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A7%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BB%E3%82%A8%E3%83%8B%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9-236025011-%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%A1%E3%83%83%E3%83%88-%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%8A%E3%83%AB%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%82%B8%E3%83%BCVII-%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8A%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%8A%E3%83%AB/dp/B000FNY5EE/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1325238540&sr=1-2

@cloud360 said:

You're either a troll...

Or you need to switch hobbies. I ain't joking duder.

EDIT: Also if anything that helps XIII-2 because we all know VII was poop.

I am neither. I just want to discuss a genuine topic, whether FF is dying and SE is dying. Whats gone wrong e.t.c

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zels

@cloud360: It's way too early to talk about "the end" of FF. What will be decisive is the sales of 13-2 and the next 1 or 2 FF games. It'll be doing fine as long as people keep "voting" with their money as they did with 13 (which also received a bit of fan backlash).

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#17  Edited By Ping5000

An average from roughly 300 people who decided to go on Amazon to say average things about it means jack and shit. I'm sorry, wait, no, I'm not, but this is pretty fucking stupid.

Go look at Modern Warfare 3's reviews on Amazon. It's a 3-star average! Oh god, that series is sure going to down the drain; no one has probably bought that average piece of garbage.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By superfriend

A 10 from famitsu doesn´t seem to matter much these days, as a lot more games than usual are getting that score. Amazon reviews are not exactly trustworthy either, since they are only representative of a fraction of the games fanbase, who either had their expectations set too high or are taking personal issue with parts of the game that would never ever warrant a lowering of the score for any sane person.

I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle?! If I were you I would wait for some import reviews or proper US version reviews.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Cathryn

@zels said:

@cloud360: It'll be doing fine as long as people keep "voting" with their money as they did with 13 (which also received a bit of fan backlash).

Exactly why I have no plans on buying this one. Totally voting with my wallet.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ExplodeMode

I can't read Japanese, so what do the reviews actually say?  You know, the important part.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zels

@Cathryn: Same here. FF13 was the worst game that I ever bought on release day.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Mcfart

FF ain't dead (sadly). Even if it did die, then Square would simply put more manpower into games like DX.HR that did fairly well.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Lautaro said:

@cloud360 said:

A game getting some subpar user reviews compared to a publication does not automatically equate to said publication being paid off.

Famitsu have never made any secret about the fact review scores are adjusted based on advertising space in their magazine.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zels

@WinterSnowblind: really? and people still buy/read it?

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By spazmaster666

Statistically, those scores are all over the place, with a huge standard deviation. In other words, there's a huge divergence of opinion about the game with similar amounts of 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5-star reviews. Also, this is about the same score that FFXIII got and about the same distribution as well. Not at all surprising to me.

The bottom line: whenever the mean has such a high SD, that means it doesn't really have any statistical significance. As someone above put it, it means jack shit.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ShadyPingu

They're user reviews. Come on, now.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Ghostiet
@Ping5000 said:

An average from roughly 300 people who decided to go on Amazon to say average things about it means jack and shit. I'm sorry, wait, no, I'm not, but this is pretty fucking stupid.

Go look at Modern Warfare 3's reviews on Amazon. It's a 3-star average! Oh god, that series is sure going to down the drain; no one has probably bought that average piece of garbage.

Thank you, sir. Lulz were had.
Zalera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#28  Edited By Zalera

What, people are surprised by this? It always looked like complete garbage, just like its predecessor.

Famitsu taking money for high scores is nothing new.

RageExpressive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RageExpressive

What I'm laughing about is that you're surprised that Famitsu may be taking bribes for games...Its been well established that Famitsu is bribed quite a lot. :P

DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By DXmagma

I like Kingdom hearts. That's my two cents.

plainplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By plainplease

@Doctorchimp: Exactly! Take the power of this generation to SNES style sprites, and make the game all about the classic FF gameplay that made us fall in love with the series to begin with. And, like FFVII did, amazing FMV can still be a part of the package because I'm willing to suspend my disbelief to allow the sprites to become fully rendered photorealistic dudes in the realm of a cutscene. It would be a shocking departure from their current direction, and a refreshing, retro, bold throwback which gamers wouls appreciate.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Simplexity

Sad to see how low this franchise has fallen, FF9 is one of my favorite games of all time, 13 was just bizarre.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By biospank
@cloud360: Ok, you just have to know about one thing and that is 2chan. These Japanese dudes like to troll amazon with either perfect or low score with a game. Just like some trolls with metacritic here in the west,  so this game is probably just as good as ff13 or better. But one critism I saw was that the map is a cluster fuck to guide-trough. 
But still take it with a grain of salt.
beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By beforet

Can we get some translation on those reviews? I would love to take the OP's alarmism for granted, but I feel guilty making judgements on things I can't read.

Edit: Too late! I have taken the liberty of using my vast knowledge of the Japanese language to copy and past one of the 1 star reviews into babel fish! The result:

Intently, it was the game which pointed nervously. Persevering, clearing, the result that. It stops knowing whether the game is done because some. If the extent which means such a thing the one which the continuation how is not put out was considerably good! Also the production person truly thinking this, that it is funny, GO sign putting out we would like to interrogate. The user seeking what, it probably is not to be known completely whether the game is done? It is sad, is, but as for FF being said, that it ended, it is helpless, whether that. Already, as for this company only visual and image contracting, we would like you to do to ask the story and the system to other things, is.

Yep, that is one pissed off Japanese guy. It would seem, towards the end, this game suffers the same tendency of the company to prioritize graphics and overall sexy-ness over compelling writing and competent systems that plagued FFXIII. But that's just my interpretation of the text.

Avatar image for thevideohustler
TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheVideoHustler

Where is my Deadly Premonition 2?

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By PixelPrinny

So wait, we're having to resort to looking at Amazon.jp user reviews to sound the death knell for games now?

And I thought people linking to Sankaku Complex as a "news source" was bad....

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By Humanity

I just started playing FF13 as I bought it real cheap seeing how FF13-2 is coming out soon. I'm enjoying it thus far. I think the paradigm system is a clever way of not having to sift through an overly long list of spells and keep the action moving. I'm only about 7 hours in and just defeated Odin which was the first tough fight in the game. The characters are all very stereotypical but except for Hope none of them bother me too much. In a way I actually prefer the streamlined aspect of it.

I think people disappointed by FF13 and FF13-2 probably don't want the action styled combat system and I can't blame them. If you grew up on turn based RPG's and love sifting through potions, spells, etc then thats your bag and ain't nothing wrong with that. The series is evolving and unfortunately that means it's going to go to places that some fans are not going to like.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Jeust

@Encephalon said:

They're user reviews. Come on, now.

Unless fundamented, they aren't informative about a game.

@PixelPrinny said:

So wait, we're having to resort to looking at Amazon.jp user reviews to sound the death knell for games now?

And I thought people linking to Sankaku Complex as a "news source" was bad....

lol

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By Cwaff

I don't believe Final Fantasy is anywhere near finished but if it comes to that I predict Final Final Fantasy as their last hurrah and a new ongoing FFF series for another 15+ iterations.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By GoofyGoober

Who cares. Really who....the fuck.....cares. If you like FF you will buy it, if you don't care for it then you wont. Also, the end of FF? Are you fucking kidding me.....This is not the first bad FF game square has released(Not calling it bad just a point).

Spiegel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Spiegel

Are you really taking user reviews from amazon.jp into consideration? Please. A lot of AAA games get low scores there because of 2ch haters, who prefer to see something they don't like getting down than something they like going up. Dragon Quest IX, for example, got terrible review scores on amazon for "not being true to the series", to the point of Yoichi Wada having to tell investors not to worry about it. Then it went on to be the best selling DQ game ever.

Not saying that the game is perfect, as we all know that Famitsu bases its scores in hype, but the user scores are as biased as Famitsu over there.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#42  Edited By fox01313

I think that fans of the series will probably ignore the review scores & play the game they want to play regardless of what the internet has to say.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

@JJOR64 said:

I guess Final Fantasy isn't "the thing" anymore in Japan.

I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sickVisionz

User reviews are worthless. Didn't Portal 2 get something low because some internet losers organized a campaign to rate it poorly because they announced DLC, that it was coming to consoles, or some other completely moronic thing that had nothing to do with the actual quality of the game?

Even critical reviews are getting silly. Jim Sterling from Destructoid is about the only one that makes sense. Practically every reviewer was on podcasts talking about how FFXIII was the worst thing ever made in the history of both gaming and things being made but then you go on Metacritic and it has an 80+ average. Sterling was one of the few who said worst game ever (which I disagree with) and actually gave it a score reflecting those views. So yeah, video game reviews in general are all hogwash. Critics will give a game a B or an A on paper and then turn around and say the game is terrible when asked about it on a podcast. User scores too often aren't based actually having played the game.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By sopranosfan

It is entirely to easy to skew the user reviews by a few people not liking one thing and everybody taking to the internet and giving 1 star reviews.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By EdIsCool

Oh look a low post count Xbox aligned troll, havent seen too many of those around this year /sarcasm

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ravenlight

@cloud360 said:

Holy crap, that link is crazy out of control! Mebbe run it through a URL shortener next time :D

@Mcfart said:

FF ain't dead (sadly). Even if it did die, then Square would simply put more manpower into games like DX.HR that did fairly well.

IIRC, most of the legwork was done by Eidos Montreal. Square was just the publisher.

Even so, it's a sad year when the best game Square puts it's logo on isn't a FF game.

@EdIsCool said:

Oh look a low post count Xbox aligned troll, havent seen too many of those around this year /sarcasm

Don't worry; next year they'll all have much higher post counts :P

daveg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By daveg

I always use Amazon user reviews as my bases for arguments.

yknow, on the internet

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By imsh_pl

@cloud360 said:

Now the question must be asked, is Square Enix paying famitsu or something?

Or maybe, just maybe

people can have different opinions than famitsu

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

This isn't a surprise to me at all.