Horizontal Inversion

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

ahab88's thread asking whether you invert the y axis got me thinking. I've always inverted the horizontal axis in FPSes when i have had the choice, but there's no problem switching back and forth if the option isn't available.

I'm wondering, am I just a freak or does anyone else prefer it this way?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

You know, I don't know. I start screwing around with it and then find that I don't like either. I couldn't tell you which I prefer. Usually if given the option, I don't change it unless it feels awkward to me for whatever reason.  However, I always invert the y-axis.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
@TheGreatGuero said:
" You know, I don't know. I start screwing around with it and then find that I don't like either. I couldn't tell you which I prefer. Usually if given the option, I don't change it unless it feels awkward to me for whatever reason.  However, I always invert the y-axis. "
Yeah, I always invert Y, now it would be weird if you invert the x and not the y.
Luberik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Luberik

If I move up with my controller of mouse, I want to look up, when I move down with it, I want to look down. Otherwise I can't play ...lol

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

Wow inverting the x-axis just makes no sense. When I turn my head right I look to the right.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By torus

Why would you ever invert axes other than for a flight sim...

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

Inverting the y axis is much more natural than inverting the x axis.

Natural because it mirrors the movement of your body when you perform the same actions. For example looking up. When you look up you tilt your head and/or body backwards. In an FPS it makes sense that I would do the same to the stick, tilt it back, in order to make my character look up. Whereas if I'm looking left I don't turn my body or head to the right so it makes no sense to do that to do that with the controls.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By penguindust

I've had to invert the X-axis on occasion where the game features "tank controls"  Most recently, I was playing some Dragon Quest VIII and I had to invert the X-axis so that it felt comfortable for me.  I know that on the old Xbox game, Dead to Rights, I had to do the same thing and I think I clicked "yes" to the option for vehicles on Call of Duty 3.  It really depends on how the game incorporates its horizontal control.  Some games set the camera at your head and it swings left or right as if you were the lynch pin.  Other games set the camera way behind your body and so if you want to look left you need to move the camera way behind you to the right.  In the later case, I switch to inverted-X so that I can still look left by pushing the analog stick left.

And, yes, I am one of the people who inverts Y because of reasons outlined in the Y-Axis thread.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
@Kung_Fu_Viking said:
" Inverting the y axis is much more natural than inverting the x axis.
Natural because it mirrors the movement of your body when you perform the same actions. For example looking up. When you look up you tilt your head and/or body backwards. In an FPS it makes sense that I would do the same to the stick, tilt it back, in order to make my character look up. Whereas if I'm looking left I don't turn my body or head to the right so it makes no sense to do that to do that with the controls.
"
For the same reasons you invert the y axis, I invert the x. Like you said, if you look down, you move the back of your head upwards, just like if you look left, you move the back of your head right.
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By torus
@Muttinus_Rump said:
"
@Kung_Fu_Viking said:
"
For the same reasons you invert the y axis, I invert the x. Like you said, if you look down, you move the back of your head upwards, just like if you look left, you move the back of your head right. "
Whaa? Our eyeballs are not on the backs of our heads (although my mom liked to claim so much...). This logic makes no sense.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Muttinus_Rump said:
"
@Kung_Fu_Viking said:
"
For the same reasons you invert the y axis, I invert the x. Like you said, if you look down, you move the back of your head upwards, just like if you look left, you move the back of your head right. "
But you don't turn the stick like you would with your head.
Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
@torus said:
"
@Muttinus_Rump said:
"
@Kung_Fu_Viking said:
"
Whaa? Our eyeballs are not on the backs of our heads (although my mom liked to claim so much...). This logic makes no sense.
"
Alright, I think of it as if the gun is on the other end of the stick, move left, gun points right. Understand me yet?
Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cynical_M

i cant do it it throws me off real bad....although in flight games i like the inversion

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By torus
@Muttinus_Rump: Nope. When I point a gun right, it moves right. When I point it up, it moves up. The fact is that the 'point of rotation' for the gun is your arm, not some middle point on the gun. 
Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
@torus: Alright dude, i'm not trying to convert you or anything.
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By torus

To answer your original question then: yes, you are a freak ;D

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
@torus: That's how I like it :)
Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking
@Muttinus_Rump said:
"
@torus said: 
Alright, I think of it as if the gun is on the other end of the stick, move left, gun points right. Understand me yet?
"
I see your thinking but I still think you're crazy xD
Luberik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Luberik

for me the leftstick (on controller) = the reticle on screen, that simplifies things to explain :). No body, arm, back of head stuff.