• 92 results
redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By redcream

So I just recently finished Dead Space 2 and it feels great to best that game and overcome the terror myself (although I can't play it at night). So how much horror can you bear in playing video games and if you are the type of person dense enough not to get, at the very least, tense in horror games what enjoyment do you derive from playing them?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I had to stop Amnesia a couple times because I have some pretty serious issues that it touches on fairly specifically but I'm generally ok with just about anything. Amnesia got pretty tame after the first sit down I had with it though. I'm playing Dead Space right now and it's tense, to be sure, but not terribly scary. I'm playing on PC with mouse and Keyboard, so that's a big part of why combat is constantly "OH SHIT OF FUCK JUST DIE FUCK".

Avatar image for passivekaerenai
PassiveKaerenai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PassiveKaerenai

Much as I love Dead Space, it never scared me... For me, the problem is that when I go into a horror game/movie/book, I'm always expecting to get jumped round the next corner.

HL2 Ravenholm truly scared me the first time, because it came in the middle of an unscary game. It's all about context and the unexpected.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@PassiveKaerenai said:

Much as I love Dead Space, it never scared me... For me, the problem is that when I go into a horror game/movie/book, I'm always expecting to get jumped round the next corner.

HL2 Ravenholm truly scared me the first time, because it came in the middle of an unscary game. It's all about context and the unexpected.

Yeah, it had more of the same effect that FEAR 1 had on me, it was more adrenaline-ish tension from the combat than any real FEAR.

But yeah, I forgot about Ravenholm. It did a great job of making you scramble for ammo and made excellent use of the fast zombies to constantly harass you.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nottle

@RedCream said:

So I just recently finished Dead Space 2 and it feels great to best that game and overcome the terror myself (although I can't play it at night). So how much horror can you bear in playing video games and if you are the type of person dense enough not to get, at the very least, tense in horror games what enjoyment do you derive from playing them?

I tense up during water levels, screw that eel level in Mario 64 and parts of Beyond good and evil really bug me because there are so many things that look like weird fish. I know those aren't horror games but hey, I really just don't feel safe when I know something is in or near water and it can kill me. I can barely feel safe playing Dead Space. Well actually I played up to chapter 9 about 2 years ago completely fine, when i first played it but a week ago i made my friend play it.

But I'm fine with RE4 and Re2 until Mr. X started breaking walls. I'm an extremely jumpy person, something just popping into view is the worst. Remember in bioshock when the room goes foggy, and then there is guy just standing behind you. Auugh.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I can't play horror games. I just can't do it. There's something about being directly in control of the protagonist in those situations that scares the everloving shit out of me. Most recently, I played Resident Evil 5 for all of about twenty minutes before I had to put it down. I can watch other people play them, and there's no other medium that affects me like that. But having the controller in my hands? Can't do it. No sir.

Even the ghouls in Fallout 3 got to me. Man, the sound of their running feet and then coming out of nowhere... brrrr.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By crusader8463

I have never been able to play horror games because every time I would try I would be too focused on how bad or un-fun the gameplay was to allow myself to get into the story. The only time I can think of getting really terrified was playing Half Life 2. The first time I came across that level where you have to fight those things on four legs that charge at you I nearly shat my pants. It was a perfect storm of the setting, being low on ammo/health, the sound design of the monster walk as it clopped along the ground and the shriek it lets out when it attacks all scared the living fuck out of me. I had the dam things stalk me for a good minute or two before I actually had one attack me. Up until then it was just pure tension and terror as I heard that god dam clopping hoofs on the ground and just catching a glimpse of them out of the corner of my eye. Not to mention the design of the dam thing when I actually saw it freaked me out.

Still get shivers down my spine to this day just thinking about that dam hoof clopping on the ground sound.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Vexxan

Amnesia is the only horror game I fear.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Branthog

I have yet to find a game that is truly scary. Gross-outs and Doom 3 surprise-bathroom scenes just don't cut it. I know gaming is still in its infancy, but I know it grows in this particular area, because having that kind of primitive experience in an interactive medium could be pretty amazing.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShadyPingu

I am very susceptible to horror games. My first playthroughs of dark, tense, moody games like Dead Space and Bioshock, I played in 20-30 minute intervals because my nerves physically could not handle any longer.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DelroyLindo

dead space has taken me two years to get to the end of. I love it but I am a complete pussy with scary games, I just cant handle them at all.

DeepSpace9MM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By DeepSpace9MM

I love horror games. It's either one or the other with them, though. Stuff like Dead Space and Silent Hill I'm totally fine with, but I have a hard time playing stuff like Amnesia and Fatal Frame. It's a lot easier for me when I have an actual weapon than without one I guess.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I'm extremely sensitive to the Silent Hill brand of horror: nebulous lighting, irritatingly constrictive camera-angles, the indefinable sound of malevolently corroded steel, and laughable combat. I wasn't able to persevere for longer than fifteen minutes in Silent Hill 3; I can't stay in Silent Hill unless I'm accompanied by another reluctant visitor. As for Dead Space, I'll admit to being spooked or startled at times, but the accessible and robust gun-play, and Isaac's Herculean constitution for all things deformed and nightmarish, effectively eradicate (and stomp to death) and sense of 'impotency'. But, I still adore the Dead Space games--especially Dead Space Extraction.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kedi2

The only two games I've played that (some) people claim to be scary are RE4 and Dead Space.

I was only like 13 when I originally played RE4 and I remember it being pretty intense at points, especially the castle portion. I was definitely able to finish the game though, it never spooked me to the point that I'd have to turn it off.

I have no idea how people are scared of Dead Space. That game did absolutely NOTHING for me in the scare department. Still a fantastic game, though.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By HellBrendy

@RedCream said:

Nowadays I can take pretty much everything (though Amnesia is still work in progress, but that's less because it's scary and more because I want to play a lot of other games instead). I have gotten older and - this is why I think it feels so bad - games aren't made to be scary any longer. Dead Space 1 and 2 puts you in the shoes of a tank. You are armed to your teeth, and your enemies are as smart as butter and as scary as a doll. the first hour or so is a bit on the edge of the seat, but once you realize all they got are surprise scares with a lot of noise and some visuals, it's a walk in the park. Dead Space 1 and 2 are great games in many ways, but they fail miserably at being scary.

I got Silent Hill 2 when I was about 17-18 years old - now that scared me. I couldn't play it once it started to get dark outside.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By krazy_kyle

I never really had to turn a game off for being too scary in recent years until I played Amnesia.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I'm playing Silent Hill 3. It's killing me inside.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By KowalskiManDown

The Silent Hill franchise has always got to me. I actually think the new one is pretty good.

I have trouble playing the Fatal Frame games on my own, they really get to me.

I have a pretty high tolerence to most other horror games though, mainly because I play so goddam many of them.

There's also a mod for HL2:EP2 called Nightmare House 2 that is pretty darned creepy, definitely worth a look if your itching for a good scare.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StrikeALight

@BulletproofMonk said:

Same here! Funny thing is, I've already played it before. But coming straight off the back of SH2, I'm finding this more frightening.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By redcream

My problem with Fatal Frame is that I find the ghost pretty cheap and I was so disappointed when I got to Chapter 3 and I can't seem to finish the game because healing items are really scarce.

kogasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kogasu

I love horror games with tense, jumpy moments and such. They're some of my favorites, though I haven't played any recently just because I'm late to this generation of consoles so I only have a few games heh.

Some games would take me a long time to finish because I had to be just in the right mood to be in a scary and tense situation.

When I was about 6 or 7 years old, Resident Evil 2 was a game I LOVED but it was just out of the question finishing it at that time LOL. I'm glad I was able to get it back when I was older and complete it, as well as RE3.

Fatal Frame 2 was one I loved/hated. I remember thinking "Why does it have to be so damn quiet?!?" I just started Fatal Frame 1 so we'll see how that goes heh.

Another one that took me a while was Doom 3. I don't know how scary everyone else thought it was but, at the time, I remember hating the lighting and shadowing because it added to the creepiness and made everything more atmospheric and on top of that, there were quite a few jump scares. I remember quitting that game for a very long time before I finally decided to complete the game in one night and get it over with.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BulletproofMonk

@StrikeALight said:

@BulletproofMonk said:

Same here! Funny thing is, I've already played it before. But coming straight off the back of SH2, I'm finding this more frightening.

I'm not so much frightened, it's just that the game makes me so uncomfortable. The game's fucked up. I love it and I hate it.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By killacam

playing silent hill has made me impervious to almost anything in the real world that would've once terrified me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Fine line you have to walk; make the character too powerful and the player gets excited at the prospect of danger because it's fun to use their character. Make them too weak and the game too hard and they get annoyed at the clunky mechanics, constant reloads and having to break down the world in terms of game mechanics instead of the narrative.

The other problem is, they're setting out to make a game that is unpleasant for the player to play. That's incredibly dangerous. Everyone can triumph over Silent Hill by refusing to turn their console on. The disc stays on the shelf where it is powerless. That's not the developer's intent.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It took me a few years to finish the second level of Thief (dat zombie infested mine), so I'd say I'm pretty good about it.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By weegieanawrench

Dead Space 1 and 2 had me pretty tense the whole way through. I never found it scary except for the jump scares. In regards to other horror games, I found what little I played of Amnesia to be sort of cheesy. Then again, I was with a buddy and it was broad daylight.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By redcream

Good point sir. It can be tricky to give the player just enough firepower to sustain the level of helplessness throughout the game.

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

Alan Wake is at the limits of my tolerance, and that isn't even really a horror game.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Cwaff

I've played Dead Space 1 and 2, Amensia, Fear 1 and 2, Silent Hill 2 and various other scary games... But there's something unsettling about Fatal Frame 2 that I just can't seem to get past and it's stopping me from playing.

seannao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By seannao

Hi there, it's killing me that nobody has mentioned "Cry of Fear". It was recently released by a relatively small mod group called Team Psykskallar. They did some horror mods for HL1, and this one... is.. also for HL 1. I'm enjoying it so far. I thought I wouldn't finish the game so I looked at all the endings for the game and then ended up going back in anyway.

It's free and of fairly high quality, even considering it's "only a mod"

http://www.cry-of-fear.com/

I'm looking forward to Amnesia: Machine for Pigs. Played all the Penumbra games. They were all masterfully done. I was even scared by parts of DOOM3's earlier chapters what with corpses whispering to you when you had little more than a crappy pistol to defend yourself with.

My tolerance for it is actually pretty low, but that's the exact reason that I find horror games to be entertaining. It's a thrill.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gravier251

Between watching a lot of horror and playing through Silent Hill as a kid it seems to have killed off any sort of deep fear at such things. They can feel quite tense with good atmosphere but never really been compelled to stop playing out of fear. Main appeal with Silent Hill was the complexity, symbolism, etc. I actually really rather liked what they did with 4; it has a great juxtaposition with being trapped in the room, able to look out longingly at the normal world just out of reach with cars passing, seeing some human interaction by looking at neighbours, etc. It was a sort of melancholy sanctuary that is dependable. When things change later into the game you actually prefer not to visit the room unless you really have to which I thought was a brilliant twist.

Amnesia I rather enjoyed the cryptic storytelling style with rather lovecraftian themes and handles building tension rather well. Penumbra was similar though I do prefer amnesia with it's setting, visuals and narrative style.

As for Dead Space, maybe I was just in a bad mood due to other factors at the time but I just found it kind of obnoxious with trying jump scares, riddled with plot holes and trying too hard with it's twists. The way people in the setting would just explode in a shower of gore if they so much as brush past someone in a hallway tended to bug me aswell. Felt more akin to the horror approach of something like Jason X than something more subtle and psychological. 2 had that section of walking through the Ishimura for a while without conflict which was nice. But the rest of it was just swarms of things leaping out of air vents (always with a thing or two behind you) screaming wildly with the music jumping to a screeching pitch.

Felt it gets kind of predictable with the encounters and approach. The muffled space stuff is great though, and if they dial back on the wild gorey action the atmosphere would kind of be there. Also making the character more vulnerable (but not by just throwing a dozen more enemies in at once) rather than heavily armoured and armed with shops to stock up in, etc. Might help. Also a shame that all the advertising material prior to the game kept going on and on about it being innovative for needing dismemberment rather than headshots. So first actual fight you simply blow an arm and a leg off them and then shrug as you wander off, or go stomp loot out of them. It kind of robbed it of slowly giving those details to the player subtlely through the environment over time.

Maybe it is my fault in a way for following information too heavily, is it possible to go into the game oblivious to the limb thing?

Anyway, another thing I feel did an opressive atmosphere quite well is the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, especially the brain scorcher related stuff/people. They just slowly and inneringly come from everywhere. No urgency or apparent interest, they just shamble over from everywhere, moaning carried on the wind from all around. Was made a bit odd though with the bug of some scientist saying "Hello Hello" looping randomly throughtout that entire small region >.< Overall though the game had really great atmosphere, and some punishing realism to shooting which I actually kind of liked.

I saw some things on that cry of fear mod, always interesting to see what people can pull off now, especially using something quite old as a base. I'll have to get around to trying it sometime.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Justin258

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

I can't play horror games. I just can't do it. There's something about being directly in control of the protagonist in those situations that scares the everloving shit out of me. Most recently, I played Resident Evil 5 for all of about twenty minutes before I had to put it down.

I have never heard of anyone being scared of RE5. Trust me, it's much more an action game than a horror game. It isn't even a horror game at all...

For me, I like some horror games but like a lot of people I tense up too much sometimes. Dead Space 1 was scary and intense and I must give it props. Dead Space 2, on the other hand, feels much more like a gory action game to me. It's the Alien -> Aliens progression as far as I'm concerned. Excepting the Ishimura segment in 2, that was pretty good. FEAR and its expansions were also creepy the first time, though again its sequels weren't at all.

At the end of the day, though, horror is far from my favorite genre and I would often rather play an action game or an RPG than something that tries to scare me.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#34  Edited By beargirl1

i love horror games. they have a satisfying feeling that no other type of game can deliver. i manage to get by the Resident Evil games. Resident Evil 2 + 3 are the scariest games in the series for me only because i haven't played REmake. there's something unsettling about walking around in an abandon city filled with things wanting to kill you, and seeing all sorts of files, memoirs and sights affected by a zombie outbreak. it's cheesy, i know but i appreciate it.

the only horror game to really get me is Condemned: Criminal Origins. it's the only horror game to make so scared that i just turned it off completely. i find real, human enemies to be much scarier than huge monsters or zombies so i guess that's why i found the crazy, drug-influenced enemies of Condemned to be terrifying. i have yet to play another game that got like Condemned did.

i still have a lot to play. i need to get a PC good enough to run Amnesia: The Dark Descent, as well as the Penumbra games and i'm thinking of checking out that Silent Hill Collection too.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hughesman

Amnesia made me hit my dog with my keyboard, so yeah it scared the shit out of me.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#36  Edited By Yummylee

I'm pretty durable when it comes to horror games. Only the Silent Hill games have ever actually made me feel frightened (even the original silent hill can still elicit some scares), but then it's never enough to halt me from playing or anything. I'm also unfortunate enough to have a pile of garbage PC that couldn't dream of running many of the PC survival-horror games, and since I'm missing out on such horrific gems like Amnesia, I feel like I haven't truly tested myself.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sayishere

I would never stop a game because its scary, but i feel tension, and i do occasionally fall for those jump scares. The worse horror i felt was when i was younger playing RE 1 and 2. RE 2 in particular had creepy ass music, i feel no music at all creates less tension for me,

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#38  Edited By Little_Socrates

I had to stop playing Amnesia once I made it down the elevator. I'll return someday, though.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bybeach

I have yet to be scared of a game. Put me in front of a mediocre horror flick and half the time my eyes will be averted or outright closed. But Deadspace and such only...closest word I could think of, only impress me with awesome when it is done well. It may be negative but I am impressed when a creature is new (to me) and is most detailled decked out with crazy bizzare horrorshow body and implements of grusome unatural death. It becomes as much art as the beautiful stained glass effects of the fanatic's church. it's a wierd filter on my part because I am not partial to horrific events, and I appreciatte the effort to convey it to me in a video game.

But maybe if I played a simple horror survival..I tried getting into Amnesia, and right away the 'you are flipping out' graphic/auditory contrivances just seemed to be detached from me experiencing such. But perhaps not being able to fight back would depress me into a state of fear. But I reiterate that in film form i would probably be uncomfortable...I don't like horror flicks really, though the dark humor can relieve sometimes.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By Jeust

I've played a lot of horror games. And although I'm now more into other genres like thiller and adventure, I still enjoy them.

I've played:

• Resident Evil 1
  • Resident Evil Remake
  • Resident Evil 0
  • Resident Evil 3
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
  • Silent Hill
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Silent Hill 3
  • Silent Hill 4
  • Silent Hill Origins
  • Silent Hill 5
  • Silent Hill Shattered Memories
  • Fatal Frame
  • Fatal Frame 2
  • Fatal Frame 3
  • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
  • Cold Fear
  • FEAR
  • Condemned
  • Dead Space
  • Dead Space 2
  • Dead Space Extraction
  • Dead Space (IOS/Android)
  • Alan Wake
  • Alan Wake American Nightmare
  • Penumbra
  • Clive Baker's Undying
  • Clive Baker's Jericho
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Doom 3
  • Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
  • Alone in the Dark
  • Alone in the Dark 2
  • Alone in the Dark 3
  • Alone in the Dark 4
  • (new) Alone in the Dark
  • Bioshock
  • Sanitarium
  • Vampire: The Masquerade
  • Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
  • Nocturne
  • Catherine
  • Obscure
  • Shadows of the Damned
  • The Darkness
  • Zombies
  • Dead Rising

My favourites are Silent Hill 2, because of its emotional plot and pacing, Silent Hill 4, as it is really heartbreaking, Resident Evil 0, for the gameplay and mood, Resident Evil 4, for its flawless gameplay and Leon's charisma, Dead Space, due to its awesome atmosphere and tension, Alan Wake, as it is an almost perfect mixture of action, mood, story and horror, Sanitarium, because of the demented story and characters, and Left 4 Dead, for the cooperative experience.

My next one will be possibly Amy, Siren Blood Curse or an indie horror game like Lone Survivor.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By IBurningStar

It takes a lot for a game to get under my skin. Pretty much Silent Hill, Amnesia, and Siren are the three that have gotten to me. And they didn't do it just by a little bit. They fucked my shit all up.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#42  Edited By StarvingGamer

Horror anything fucks me up real bad. Like, extreme paranoia even in broad daylight bad. Sometimes for years. There was some scary movie I watched as a kid and I can't remember shit about it but it caused me to suffer anxiety ridden flashbacks for about a decade. It doesn't even matter if it's horribly done. Like remember that movie about the ghosts and like there's the girl in the bathroom washing her face but she can't see the hot dead naked ghost girl sitting in a pool of ghost blood in the tub? To this day I still have difficulty closing my eyes when I'm taking a shower because I'm afraid that some shower ghost is going to be there when I open them again.

Fuck, I need therapy or something. Maybe drugs.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rattle618

Dead Space was the first scary game that I played and finished, I felt compelled to do so because I heard nothing but good things about it and when I actually started playing it myself I couldnt just leave it unfinished. But it made me sweat like a motherfucker.

Dead Space 2 I didnt find scary at all, except maybe a few moments (still a great game though).

My biggest achievement is Amnesia though, I had to play it in 15 minute chunks, but I got through it. It remains one of my greatest game satisfactions.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#45  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I am very bad with horror games, as well as horror movies actually. But that is mostly because of the fucking jump-scares. I hate that. Games like Eternal Darkness, which rely more on atmosphere and such to get you scared, that I can do. Sometimes. I love to read scary stories though. And I did manage to get through things like Thief, Bioshock, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and a few other games where the horror isn't actually what is in focus.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bigsocrates  Online

I don't like horror games, never have. I've bought some and played some but I don't think I've beaten one other than RE1 and 2, and those are campy more often than they are scary. I can play any horror game if there's someone else in the room, but alone I just tense up and stop having fun, and I don't know many people who want to play/watch horror games.

This extends beyond pure horror games though to basically anything scary in any way to the point where I don't like the ghost houses in Super Mario World, though obviously I can play them. I also don't like how in many games you go from nice surroundings to horrible stuff as the game advances. Uncharted 1 was a decent example of this. Why do so many bosses live in decrepit castles with blood on the walls? Pamper yourself. Make me come get you on a tropical island base!

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SlasherMan

@kon1312 said:

@seannao said:

...Played all the Penumbra games. They were all masterfully done...

I don't know what it is, but those games didn't scare me at all....liked the puzzels though.

First and third were fairly dull, but Black Plague was excellent. Not necessarily as much horror in the horror department as say Amnesia, but still a great game.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SlasherMan

@Jaqen_HGhar said:

I am very bad with horror games, as well as horror movies actually. But that is mostly because of the fucking jump-scares. I hate that. Games like Eternal Darkness

Chris_Ihao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By Chris_Ihao

The best example of horror in a game must be Project Zero in my opinion. My heart honestly raced whenever I sat and played that alone on my ps2. A friggin' camera doesnt make me feel safe, and the haunting sounds in that terrible house, added with a horrible story, played tricks on my mind. I remember whenever the control started pulsating, indicating that there is a malignant or non-malignant ghost is close, I almost hit pause and quit every time.

I also stopped playing Clive Barkers Undying many years ago. The whole setting totally freaked me out and I felt so puny compared to the enemies.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#50  Edited By Hailinel

It really depends on the game. The Fatal Frame series and the better Silent Hill games scare the piss out of me, but I found Dead Space boring and couldn't bring myself to play it very much at all.