#1 Edited by nivi (121 posts) -

I need ideas for my stupid Patrick simulator, and I’ve run out. I need your help.

If you don’t want to spoil the magic, stop reading. If, however, you want to contribute, you'll need to have an understanding of how these stories are actually generated.

Stories are generated from a series of fragments. First, a story is picked from the ‘story’ list, then items are picked at random to fill in the <blanks> in the story.

Game names are generated in a slightly more complicated way. First, a franchise name is built by combining random items from ‘franchise_a’ and ‘franchise_b’, and then the franchise name is framed with a random item from ‘name’.

If you wish to refer to multiple items from the same object category, or to the same item multiple times, you can use an underscore and additional letters after the category name to specify how you wish to do so. For example, “Following the controversy surrouding <company_a>’s handling of royalties for <game>, <luminary> has left <company_b>.”

As for content itself, I'm ideally looking for stuff at least inspired by actual events, but it doesn't have to be. Equally, stories are encouraged but not required to be the kind of thing that Patrick would write. If you wish to invent a new category, or contribute to an existing one, that would also be super helpful.

I reserve the right to copy edit and/or bluntly refuse to include stuff you come up with, but you will always be credited for your contributions in the relevant commit message (and, as a result, the blame). I may or may not accept pull requests.

#2 Posted by Sweep (8837 posts) -

This is fucking awesome! Great work!

#3 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

Such a ridiculous idea, and yet so obvious.

He does a lot of titles that are over-dramatized, such as "Power to the people, until the people are our of control" to preface an article about metacritic user scores. You might want to do something with that.

He also uses commas a damn lot. "On reviews, games, and criticism", and stuff like "[X], [Y] and [Z], the story of [SMALL DEVELOPER YOU NEVER HEARD OF]". Or at least that's the notion I have.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6230 posts) -

@Snail said:

Such a ridiculous idea, and yet so obvious. He does a lot of titles that are over-dramatized, such as "Power to the people, until the people are our of control" to preface an article about metacritic user scores. You might want to do something with that. He also uses commas a damn lot. "On reviews, games, and criticism", and stuff like "[X], [Y] and [Z], the story of [SMALL DEVELOPER YOU NEVER HEARD OF]". Or at least that's the notion I have.

Except minus the and, cause of that horrendous style guide people adhere too.

#5 Posted by JoeyRavn (4961 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Snail said:

Such a ridiculous idea, and yet so obvious. He does a lot of titles that are over-dramatized, such as "Power to the people, until the people are our of control" to preface an article about metacritic user scores. You might want to do something with that. He also uses commas a damn lot. "On reviews, games, and criticism", and stuff like "[X], [Y] and [Z], the story of [SMALL DEVELOPER YOU NEVER HEARD OF]". Or at least that's the notion I have.

Except minus the and, cause of that horrendous style guide people adhere too.

You mean the Oxford Comma? It's actually pretty useful in some occassions. Like when you say "He killed his parents, Jane and Tom" instead of "He killed his parents, Jane, and Tom". (Yeah, a very common scenario indeed). I guess its relevance depends on the context, but if you use it, you have to be consistent with its use and use it every time you make a list of more than two elements.

Anyway, that Twitter account is amazing. "Nintendo have declined to comment after many of the art assets in ‘BlazBlue: Rugby World’ are proven to have been stolen." Awesome.

#6 Posted by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

I...I don't get it? I get it, I just don't get it. It may be just me but I feel this is super forced, sorry.

#7 Posted by nivi (121 posts) -

@Snail: I suppose I'm looking for first sentences rather than headlines; events, not hyperbole.

#8 Posted by AlexW00d (6230 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: No I mean the whole leaving out the word 'and' and replacing it with a comma. This in this article.

#9 Posted by Baillie (4074 posts) -

I think it's a novel idea that I've seen done numerous times, so that's probably why I don't find it funny. It's probably just me though.

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (8720 posts) -

______ is reporting that Next Gen consoles will _____ with _____, to the delight/horror of _____.

_____? Think again. ____ is finally ____ing _____.

In the age of _____, where does _____ fit into _____?

The future of ____ is ____. ____!

Videogames are ____, ____, and ____, but are they ____?

Iconic ____ revealed to ___ that ____ was actually ____.

There's now ____ in _____. Surprising ____.

My favorite ____. A ___ of modern ____.

The ____ world of ____. ____ or ____?

___ sold ____ in only ____! Considering ___, can we expect ___?

New ____ for ____. It's about time.

#11 Posted by nivi (121 posts) -

@TruthTellah: I added a platform category, but I'm not sure what those blanks are supposed to be filled with otherwise.

#12 Edited by TruthTellah (8720 posts) -

@nivi said:

@TruthTellah: I added a platform category, but I'm not sure what those blanks are supposed to be filled with otherwise.

Well, they're pretty broad. So, a lot of things could fit. Primarily developers, game features, and adjectives.

Plus a verb or two mixed in there. ha.

#13 Posted by nivi (121 posts) -

@TruthTellah: Alright, I can get at least one of them to fit.

#14 Posted by TruthTellah (8720 posts) -

@nivi: Nice.

hm. If you need it more broken down, how about...

Iconic <luminary> revealed to <news site> that <game_a> was actually intended to be <game_b>.

<game> sold <number> copies in only <number> days! Considering the state of <company>, can we expect more from <luminary>?

New <game_a> for <platform>, the long awaited sequel to <company>'s hit <game_b> series. It's about time.

There is now more <game_a> in <game_b>. Surprising fans of <company>.

In a highly-publicized rant on Twitter, <luminary_a> finally let <critic> know the dark truth about <game>.

#15 Posted by nivi (121 posts) -

@TruthTellah: Oh, man. Much better. Done.