• 63 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Humanity (10145 posts) -

So I downloaded and installed iOS7 today on my iPhone.

To end on a positive note I'll start with things I don't necessarily like thus far.

  • As a big believer of the white text on a black background the new white interface is a bit jarring for me. I find it a bit too bright and spent some time looking for a GB-esque change-to-black theme button, alas white it is.
  • The icon redesign is not to my liking. When the screen popped up for the first time my first impression was that of a display case phone with a fake OS sticker on the screen. The previous icons had a nice subtle pop - now everything looks a little too simplistic for my taste. I'm sure those that favor a minimal design philosophy might like it though.
  • They took out the ability to quickly tweet from the notification center, which was something I used often. A lot of people claim online that it's much easier to Tweet with Siri now, but I can't imagine myself sitting in the office and murmuring "Siri Tweet, butt feeling crazy itchy again, must be monday!"
  • As per Apple standard modus operandi, some things got slower instead of being snappier. When your phone is locked and off, pressing the home button doesn't instantly pop your screen on, but rather it kinda fades in. Not a huge deal but I liked the previous snappiness.

Now what I do like about it:

  • The bottom settings screen is really handy for making quick changes that would otherwise have sent you to the settings menu.
  • Switching between applications has not only gotten a facelift but functionally it is easier to close apps by swiping them up, and I enjoy the preview.
  • The browser has gotten even more minimalistic with swipe controls which is great when using the smaller iPhone to browse the net as opposed to an iPad.
  • The small changes to the camera and photos are pretty nice.
  • Animated backgrounds are.. neat.. I guess? Haven't tested if they work with GIF's or what but it has potential to be really cool.
  • airDrop is a handy feature

Overall the changes were significant enough to really throw me off - I've been using iPhones for a while now and I almost felt as lost as in Windows 8 for a few minutes. That said, apart from the exclusion of the quick tweeting from the notifications tray none of the changes seem "bad" for me personally. I think a lot of it is simply a matter of getting used to the new look. What do you guyz (and girls, lol, like girls use phones right!) think?

#2 Posted by Fattony12000 (7583 posts) -

It's nifty.

#3 Posted by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -

Not a fan of the colour scheme, but I do appreciate the options you can access without needing to unlock the phone.

And iMessages actually get sent out properly, instead of juts sitting there making no progress!

#4 Posted by spookytapes (269 posts) -

I think the colors are heinous.

#5 Posted by Humanity (10145 posts) -

Not a fan of the colour scheme, but I do appreciate the options you can access without needing to unlock the phone.

And iMessages actually get sent out properly, instead of juts sitting there making no progress!

I think the colors are heinous.

The colors are a bit much I agree. When my phone first turned on I wasn't sure if it changed the brightness setting or what because it was literally kind of blinding to look at the screen.

#6 Edited by chiablo (1000 posts) -

I made the mistake of updating through iTunes on a Windows 8 PC. Half-way through the update, Windows 8 says "This program is not responding", even though it clearly was responding, and caused the update to get interrupted. I was worried that I had lost everything, but after it went into recovery mode and finished syncing... it was all back to normal.

So far, the interface is pretty slick. One thing I am really grateful for is the address bar in Safari: they merged the search and url into one bar similar to how Chrome does it.

Jeff mentioned during the Bombcast that there is a flashlight built into the notification center now... how do I do this?

#7 Posted by Humanity (10145 posts) -

@chiablo: It's actually in the Control Center, or whatever it is you call the one you swipe from the bottom. Swipe from the bottom up and it's the icon on the very left under the Air Drop toggle.

#8 Edited by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

I'm updating my iPad to ios7, however I won't be updating my iphone til a jailbreak is out.

#9 Edited by Chop (1998 posts) -

FYI you can invert the colours in settings

#10 Posted by Zidd (1857 posts) -

It functions more or less the same as iOS6 on my iPad 2. Being able to put news stand in a folder is pretty neat but I'd rather be able to do things like remove stock apps and set default apps for common tasks like audio playback, web browser, email, etc...

#11 Posted by Humanity (10145 posts) -

@chop said:

FYI you can invert the colours in settings

Where? I looked around and couldn't find the option.

#12 Posted by Chop (1998 posts) -

@humanity said:

@chop said:

FYI you can invert the colours in settings

Where? I looked around and couldn't find the option.

Settings>General>Accessibility

#13 Edited by gakon (1952 posts) -

@humanity said:

@chop said:

FYI you can invert the colours in settings

Where? I looked around and couldn't find the option.

Settings > General > Accessibility > Invert Colors. This actually inverts everything on the screen, not just the interface.

I've been using iOS 7 for a few months and I like it quite a bit. The big secret about this update, though, is that most everything is the same. Most all of the interaction patterns and UI controls are the same, so you don't have to relearn anything really. If there was no visual overhaul, you could probably count on one hand the number of major new features. It's simultaneously a big deal but also really not that big of a deal. Nothing will change about how you use your phone, unless your apps stop working I suppose. [edit] Removing the social buttons from Notification Center and the ability to search Google from Spotlight are two baffling omissions, I'll give you that.

Also, you get used to the icons. Yeah, the circles are too big or whatever, but you can still tell the icons apart. Just download Mailbox and use that instead of Mail, and you can ditch that weird-looking gradient.

#14 Edited by Humanity (10145 posts) -

@chop said:

@humanity said:

@chop said:

FYI you can invert the colours in settings

Where? I looked around and couldn't find the option.

Settings>General>Accessibility

Ah but that isn't just reversing the color scheme into black bars with white texts, it inverts all the colors, photos and third party apps as well which makes it kind of unusable.

#15 Posted by djou (878 posts) -

I'm using it on an iphone 4 and ipad 3, does any one else find ios7 really laggy?

Even touching the home button to enter my passcode is much slower than ios6. When I drag the slider there is a momentary delay before the animation to the number pad appears. Seems like this happens with any action input. when I swipe up for control center, or down for notification center there is always a delay before anything happens. Makes me wonder if the input actually worked or if the os is just churning away.

#16 Edited by liquiddragon (279 posts) -

still a working progress. they've "borrowed" some good ideas from android which is nice but phone feels looser, and generally not as snappy on my 4s.

also, now we gotta wait for everyone to revamp their apps to the ios7 look. Like any apple product, it does seem like as an older model user, i'm getting slowly but surely squeezed out but no surprise there. battery life is worse as well. that said, i think everyone needed it a refresh.

Online
#17 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1822 posts) -

I'm still not into the way it looks, but I am into the fact that the new infinite(?) folders allows me to have everything on one page now. The multi-tasking reminds me of my old PalmPre though.

#18 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4504 posts) -

I hate it because it means too many phone calls from my parents asking how to do everything all over again

Online
#19 Posted by Angouri (233 posts) -

It's ugly and slow. At least my apps update automatically... Finally.

The ipad version is also buggy as hell, and I hate the superfluous animations. They are really distracting. And the white everywhere, like in the video player, is dumb.

Overall, glad I don't have to use this everyday. Hopefully ios 8 just bridges the last few gaps with android (Holo is a nicer design language, sharing and email are WAY better on android).

#20 Edited by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

You know what, it's OK. Everything seems like stuff I'll quickly get used to, and they didn't break anything.

As for the color scheme and icon redesign. Tacky, hideous color combinations are super popular right now, so we've just got to wait this shit out.

#21 Posted by 9999dmg (132 posts) -

I'm pretty sad they took away 'search for web' in Spotlight so you can't just go to Spotlight when you want to Google things.

#22 Edited by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

Air Drop always made more sense on portables than laptops so I'm very happy to see that in iOS.

#23 Edited by GaspoweR (3533 posts) -

Pretty much agree with the cons and the new icon styles do take getting used to but I wonder if the more minimalist design was chosen in order to fit in more options and also make it not as taxing on the phone as opposed to the skeuomorphic design. Also I think the more bright colors we're pretty much chosen in order to fit the more colorful designs they have with the current gen iPod touch and possibly the iPhone 5c since they are probably skewing sales in slight favor to that phone since that's the only phone that can be pre-ordered and delivered day and date and is probably projected to have more sales. The 5s can only be acquired from the Store on launch day. Overall, I've been warming up to it and I do like the previews in the multitasking feature and the addition of the control center.

@chop: Yeah I did try that earlier but that pretty much inverts everything including the background which made stuff have more neon colors and slightly menacing 0_o. I have a picture of a street as my background pic and that inverted the color for that as well. It could still be a good temporary solution for the bright colors that people have found to be bothersome though.

#24 Posted by Sinusoidal (1824 posts) -

7 is out already? Does it let you not use iTunes yet? Probably not... iOS was an amazing innovation when it came out, and for a few iterations, but they've done absolutely nothing significant with it since... 3 maybe? I switched to Android a few months back, don't miss iOS one whit and won't be switching back anytime soon at this rate.

You know what's awesome? I can plug my phone into my computer, and drag and drop files no problem in Windows Explorer without having to "sync" or manually change libraries or some shit. I can't count the number of stupid problems I had using iTunes, especially since the wife and I were both using iPhones on the same computer. What a fucking nightmare that was!

I can drag any sound file into a directory on my phone and make it a ringtone with a couple more clicks. With iTunes, I had to import the file. Then make a copy of it in a different format that was cut off at the thirty second mark. Then export that file. Then change the file extension. Then re-import THAT file, and then finally sync it to my goddamn iPhone to make a ringtone with a couple more clicks.

#25 Edited by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

They said they would start rolling it out on Sept 18 and brand new update for iTunes has Radio in it.

As for the "import" support, that has been a chronic problem due to the way it has to support multiple platforms which is why Air Drop support is a big deal.

As for the Notification Center, I wish it was configurable so that you can select a "social service" to update from there so that you can use Twitter or Facebook or LinkedIn or Tumblr or whatever.

#26 Posted by Confirm4Crit (143 posts) -
@humanity said:
  • They took out the ability to quickly tweet from the notification center, which was something I used often. A lot of people claim online that it's much easier to Tweet with Siri now, but I can't imagine myself sitting in the office and murmuring "Siri Tweet, butt feeling crazy itchy again, must be monday!"

This. Especially when you're on iPhone4 and don't have Siri.

#27 Posted by Sackmanjones (4762 posts) -

I think it's actually pretty good. It has some bugs but overall I think the upgrade was done right. However, I don't quite fully understand the airdrop thing.

#28 Posted by chiablo (1000 posts) -
#29 Posted by subyman (669 posts) -

@djou said:

I'm using it on an iphone 4 and ipad 3, does any one else find ios7 really laggy?

Even touching the home button to enter my passcode is much slower than ios6. When I drag the slider there is a momentary delay before the animation to the number pad appears. Seems like this happens with any action input. when I swipe up for control center, or down for notification center there is always a delay before anything happens. Makes me wonder if the input actually worked or if the os is just churning away.

The iPhone 4 runs iOS7 poorly. It is totally usable, but if you need your phone to be super snappy, stay with iOS6 on the 4.

#30 Posted by Ben_H (3444 posts) -

It's still iOS. It is the same thing but with a new paint job and some new features. I actually like the bottom menu thinger for the brightness and the music controls. It seems handy. And the level included with the compass is cool.

But other than that, not much has changed. It looks different but everything still works how I like it, nice and jank-free. After 3 years of Android across multiple devices that all had the same fundamental issues, having a phone that just works without having to fight with it still feels like a luxury. I can read Twitter without it mysteriously getting choppy, listen to music on Rdio without the app crashing every 4 songs, not have to micromanage what apps are running in order to have even remotely usable battery life, and not have to pull the battery every time my phone loses signal because it won't reconnect.

Also, if people don't like the new font, if you go to Settings-> Accessibility and turn on bold fonts. It makes the font much more readable and basically like the old font. I'm fine with the new font but I like that the option is there.

Also, if weather isn't showing up in notifications, turn on the location setting for the Weather app, then restart your phone. If the setting is already set as on then just restart. I had to do that to get the weather notification on my mom's phone after installing iOS 7 on it.

#31 Posted by ajamafalous (12167 posts) -

Gonna stick with iOS5 I think. I never even updated to 6, and the icons/interface for 7 look god-awful.

#32 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1652 posts) -

I think it's pretty.

#33 Edited by believer258 (12216 posts) -

@sinusoidal said:

7 is out already? Does it let you not use iTunes yet? Probably not... iOS was an amazing innovation when it came out, and for a few iterations, but they've done absolutely nothing significant with it since... 3 maybe? I switched to Android a few months back, don't miss iOS one whit and won't be switching back anytime soon at this rate.

You know what's awesome? I can plug my phone into my computer, and drag and drop files no problem in Windows Explorer without having to "sync" or manually change libraries or some shit. I can't count the number of stupid problems I had using iTunes, especially since the wife and I were both using iPhones on the same computer. What a fucking nightmare that was!

I can drag any sound file into a directory on my phone and make it a ringtone with a couple more clicks. With iTunes, I had to import the file. Then make a copy of it in a different format that was cut off at the thirty second mark. Then export that file. Then change the file extension. Then re-import THAT file, and then finally sync it to my goddamn iPhone to make a ringtone with a couple more clicks.

I finally got an iPhone last year. It's been a fine device and I really like actually using it, but I really hate it when a company forces me to use their software. I wanted to put an album on my iPhone after updating this morning, but couldn't because now only iTunes recognizes the phone, not Mediamonkey, and I'll have to sign into the PC and connect this iPhone to that iTunes and... ugh. This is especially annoying when half of your music is on one PC and the other half is on a laptop. I'm probably going to go with Android next time just because of that.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my iPhone overall. I like iOS 7's look and feel a lot better, if only because it's fresh and new. I don't like that music doesn't go Artist - Album - Song anymore, it just skips straight to songs.

Can't wait for a jailbreak.

#34 Edited by coaxmetal (1658 posts) -

I like it. Very few complaints. I even like the look. Some of the new icons are bad though. Like reminders and game center

#35 Edited by Krullban (1067 posts) -

It wont let me download it. It's there in Software update. But there is no download.

#36 Edited by Jaqen_HGhar (963 posts) -

Not sure if I like the brighter colours, but other than that it seems good enough.
I also wonder about the animated backgrounds. I have a slowly revolving galaxy on my Android phone, and would be neat to have something similar on my iPad.

#37 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6407 posts) -

Blue on white text is a bitch for some of us color blind folks.

Moderator Online
#38 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

OK, it's been like 8 hours. I'm cool with it now. I still prefer dark backgrounds with white text but hey, not a big deal.

#39 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

I love the new icons and overall bright airness of the new design (I use Light Theme here, just much easier on my eyes). Visually I think the refresh is great in every Apple app. Really glad they ditched skeuomorphs. I always thought that approach was sin-ugly.

I like the idea of AirDrop but my iPhone was not discoverable by my Macbook and that's dumb. I need to read that posted link.

I like the idea of quick-access Control Center but for some reason it only registers approximately 1 in every 10 swipes. Real pain for a supposedly time-saving feature.

Anyone running iOS 7 on an iPad Mini? I bought one for my mother for her birthday on Sunday (I know, refresh incoming) and wonder how it runs. I have until the 24th to return it.

#40 Posted by ttocs (783 posts) -

I'm digging the update so far. I like how you can fit more items in folders, which means I can finally have one giant "game" folder vs. splitting them up here and there.

#41 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

My iPhone 3 won't take it. Lame!

#42 Posted by kindone (2843 posts) -

Love it. As of right now, I haven't found one dislike. We'll see in the future, but Apple, in terms of their phones, have been pretty solid with me.

#43 Posted by Krullban (1067 posts) -

@subyman said:

@djou said:

I'm using it on an iphone 4 and ipad 3, does any one else find ios7 really laggy?

Even touching the home button to enter my passcode is much slower than ios6. When I drag the slider there is a momentary delay before the animation to the number pad appears. Seems like this happens with any action input. when I swipe up for control center, or down for notification center there is always a delay before anything happens. Makes me wonder if the input actually worked or if the os is just churning away.

The iPhone 4 runs iOS7 poorly. It is totally usable, but if you need your phone to be super snappy, stay with iOS6 on the 4.

I finally got the update to work and I'm on iPhone 4 and it's much faster than it was before. Everything is going quick.

#44 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Best update ever! I love everything about it, especially the look and feel of the apps and the way it looks when switching between apps. The multitasking and automatic updating is pretty amazing also.

I really want to trade in my iPhone 5 for a 5C though, I think it'd look a hundred times better against a blue case than a white one. Loving it on the iPad 4 too, it feels like I just got two brand new devices for free.

#45 Edited by JJOR64 (19071 posts) -

It's different. Still need to get used to it. I have a hard time trying to drag up the settings from the Bottom of the screen to adjust Brightness and all that jazz.

#46 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@sinusoidal said:

7 is out already? Does it let you not use iTunes yet? Probably not... iOS was an amazing innovation when it came out, and for a few iterations, but they've done absolutely nothing significant with it since... 3 maybe? I switched to Android a few months back, don't miss iOS one whit and won't be switching back anytime soon at this rate.

You know what's awesome? I can plug my phone into my computer, and drag and drop files no problem in Windows Explorer without having to "sync" or manually change libraries or some shit. I can't count the number of stupid problems I had using iTunes, especially since the wife and I were both using iPhones on the same computer. What a fucking nightmare that was!

I can drag any sound file into a directory on my phone and make it a ringtone with a couple more clicks. With iTunes, I had to import the file. Then make a copy of it in a different format that was cut off at the thirty second mark. Then export that file. Then change the file extension. Then re-import THAT file, and then finally sync it to my goddamn iPhone to make a ringtone with a couple more clicks.

I finally got an iPhone last year. It's been a fine device and I really like actually using it, but I really hate it when a company forces me to use their software. I wanted to put an album on my iPhone after updating this morning, but couldn't because now only iTunes recognizes the phone, not Mediamonkey, and I'll have to sign into the PC and connect this iPhone to that iTunes and... ugh. This is especially annoying when half of your music is on one PC and the other half is on a laptop. I'm probably going to go with Android next time just because of that.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my iPhone overall. I like iOS 7's look and feel a lot better, if only because it's fresh and new. I don't like that music doesn't go Artist - Album - Song anymore, it just skips straight to songs.

Can't wait for a jailbreak.

iTunes Match will make your life a lot easier. All of your music will be matched in the cloud and can be downloaded to any iDevice at any time (or streamed). I'm pretty sure you can do it from multiple iTunes libraries too. Then you don't have to plug the phone in, just add something to your iTunes library (even if it's not from iTunes) and if it's in the iTunes store (which it probably is) you can download it on all of your other devices.

#47 Posted by believer258 (12216 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@believer258 said:

@sinusoidal said:

7 is out already? Does it let you not use iTunes yet? Probably not... iOS was an amazing innovation when it came out, and for a few iterations, but they've done absolutely nothing significant with it since... 3 maybe? I switched to Android a few months back, don't miss iOS one whit and won't be switching back anytime soon at this rate.

You know what's awesome? I can plug my phone into my computer, and drag and drop files no problem in Windows Explorer without having to "sync" or manually change libraries or some shit. I can't count the number of stupid problems I had using iTunes, especially since the wife and I were both using iPhones on the same computer. What a fucking nightmare that was!

I can drag any sound file into a directory on my phone and make it a ringtone with a couple more clicks. With iTunes, I had to import the file. Then make a copy of it in a different format that was cut off at the thirty second mark. Then export that file. Then change the file extension. Then re-import THAT file, and then finally sync it to my goddamn iPhone to make a ringtone with a couple more clicks.

I finally got an iPhone last year. It's been a fine device and I really like actually using it, but I really hate it when a company forces me to use their software. I wanted to put an album on my iPhone after updating this morning, but couldn't because now only iTunes recognizes the phone, not Mediamonkey, and I'll have to sign into the PC and connect this iPhone to that iTunes and... ugh. This is especially annoying when half of your music is on one PC and the other half is on a laptop. I'm probably going to go with Android next time just because of that.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my iPhone overall. I like iOS 7's look and feel a lot better, if only because it's fresh and new. I don't like that music doesn't go Artist - Album - Song anymore, it just skips straight to songs.

Can't wait for a jailbreak.

iTunes Match will make your life a lot easier. All of your music will be matched in the cloud and can be downloaded to any iDevice at any time (or streamed). I'm pretty sure you can do it from multiple iTunes libraries too. Then you don't have to plug the phone in, just add something to your iTunes library (even if it's not from iTunes) and if it's in the iTunes store (which it probably is) you can download it on all of your other devices.

But what if I just don't want to use iTunes period?

I got an iPhone because I like using iPhones and could just use Mediamonkey to put music on it. I don't want to have to set up Apple's special program for people that have music on multiple computers when I've already got several different ways that I could conceivably do that ready to go. Mediamonkey, just plain dragging and dropping, or doing it the old fashioned way and copying it locally if I feel like it.

#48 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@believer258 said:

@sinusoidal said:

7 is out already? Does it let you not use iTunes yet? Probably not... iOS was an amazing innovation when it came out, and for a few iterations, but they've done absolutely nothing significant with it since... 3 maybe? I switched to Android a few months back, don't miss iOS one whit and won't be switching back anytime soon at this rate.

You know what's awesome? I can plug my phone into my computer, and drag and drop files no problem in Windows Explorer without having to "sync" or manually change libraries or some shit. I can't count the number of stupid problems I had using iTunes, especially since the wife and I were both using iPhones on the same computer. What a fucking nightmare that was!

I can drag any sound file into a directory on my phone and make it a ringtone with a couple more clicks. With iTunes, I had to import the file. Then make a copy of it in a different format that was cut off at the thirty second mark. Then export that file. Then change the file extension. Then re-import THAT file, and then finally sync it to my goddamn iPhone to make a ringtone with a couple more clicks.

I finally got an iPhone last year. It's been a fine device and I really like actually using it, but I really hate it when a company forces me to use their software. I wanted to put an album on my iPhone after updating this morning, but couldn't because now only iTunes recognizes the phone, not Mediamonkey, and I'll have to sign into the PC and connect this iPhone to that iTunes and... ugh. This is especially annoying when half of your music is on one PC and the other half is on a laptop. I'm probably going to go with Android next time just because of that.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my iPhone overall. I like iOS 7's look and feel a lot better, if only because it's fresh and new. I don't like that music doesn't go Artist - Album - Song anymore, it just skips straight to songs.

Can't wait for a jailbreak.

iTunes Match will make your life a lot easier. All of your music will be matched in the cloud and can be downloaded to any iDevice at any time (or streamed). I'm pretty sure you can do it from multiple iTunes libraries too. Then you don't have to plug the phone in, just add something to your iTunes library (even if it's not from iTunes) and if it's in the iTunes store (which it probably is) you can download it on all of your other devices.

But what if I just don't want to use iTunes period?

I got an iPhone because I like using iPhones and could just use Mediamonkey to put music on it. I don't want to have to set up Apple's special program for people that have music on multiple computers when I've already got several different ways that I could conceivably do that ready to go. Mediamonkey, just plain dragging and dropping, or doing it the old fashioned way and copying it locally if I feel like it.

iTunes will be much more convenient if you use it properly with WiFi syncing and all the features. Honestly using anything other than iTunes is just being stubborn.

#49 Edited by sqrabbit (117 posts) -

Is iTunes Radio available with the IOS update or is that still coming?

Thanks @hector

#50 Edited by Sergio (2262 posts) -

I like the minimalist design, as well as the black text on white background. I use GB's light theme because I can't stand white/light text on black/dark background web designs.