How bad will next generation's console fanboyism be?

• 66 results
impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By impartialgecko

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By impartialgecko

Hey guys, so I was thinking: with new consoles comes fresh divisions between players on which systems they like most/despise more. As the next generation is probably hitting next year, how bad do you think the console fanboyism is going to get? Its toned down now because people are sick of this gen, but do you think the next set of machines will inspire the same level of zealous internet fighting that was going on 5 years ago? Will it be better, worse or the same?

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Canteu

It will be the same as before. Always has been always will be. People never stop being stupid, always remember that.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By randiolo

I would hope that people have grown the f up. The 13-17 year old with Stockholm syndrome suck with what ever console they could only afford should be behind us now. I too are sick of this generation, i just hope they (sony/microsorf) have learnt from their mistakes.

Edit: then again.. their will always be more shitty young teens..and this is the internet after all..

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By impartialgecko

@Canteu said:

It will be the same as before. Always has been always will be. People never stop being stupid, always remember that.

It has gotten better over the years though. The Sega/Nintendo feud eclipses anything that went on in the last two generations.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dungbootle

It will keep increasing exponentially with every succeeding generation until we reach a singularity of boneheaded brand loyalty.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#7  Edited By isomeri

War never changes.

BillyMethers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By BillyMethers

Same as before.

Anybody who rabidly defends a platform without having a financial interest or any stock in either company is an idiot.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By aceofspudz

It's generally accepted that sony and ms can coexist and receive basically the same titles at the same level of quality, and nintendo will continue to pursue their blue ocean with the occasional bone thrown to the loyal.

I believe Sony and MS are both operating on PC hardware at this point, so essentially...they're all the same console anyway. There isn't even an architectural difference to pin your loyalty to.

So I don't expect the console war to be all that rabid this time.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SargeGulp

I think it improved when it became apparent that both were doing fine, that both could exist and be successful. At one point Sony was being eclipsed by microsoft, which fostered this ridiculous competition between the two user bases.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#11  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

It will always be the same till the end of time. Rabid fans will pop up with really good competing platforms. It's just one of the flaws we have to live with in this Internet age.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Otacon

There will always be the new generation of 13 year olds arguing about allegiance to a consumer product, this will never change. All the old 'fanboys' have grown up ... and now argue about their choice of phone on message boards instead. A new generation brings a fresh face to all this rubbish unfortunately but I hope the Giantbomb community keeps its reputation of comparable level headedness. It remains one of the few news outlets of its kind where the comments sections aren't always full of pointless bickering.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Morrow

I'm in the fangirl league, but will stay objective.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By L44

The more the internet is integrated into things, the more it'll get worse. Not necessarily in quantity but in exposure. Anyone seen the aggro at the AC3 IGN review? I'm pretty fucking certain that most of the people who watched/read that review havent played it yet. I realise this isnt console fanboyism but it's the same kind of thing of aggressive contrived abuse that fanboys use to get at each others throats all the time.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By rpgee

I invoke the Louis C.K. law of appreciation: "Everything's amazing and nobody's happy."

So yeah, there'll be fanboy/girl-ism (respect to Ms Morrow) but I don't know if it'll be worse. Certainly bad.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I don't really see much console fanboyism but then again i only pay attention to this site's forum. Even then I only see opinions for why PC or console are better than each other.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

It's gonna be the same if not worse. Just like every other generation.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#18  Edited By Svenzon

You'd think people would have gotten over that crap by now, but I still have customers at my work arguing that one platform is better. They never have any reason to prefer one either, so I guess it's just something that's been deeply rooted inside and refuses to let go.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Bigandtasty

Less idiocy concerning different consoles; more idiocy concerning console vs. PC, unpopular genres, review scores, DLC, and various other lovely issues.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Azteck

People will be childish no matter how old they are. I just hope I don't have to see it.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MideonNViscera

I think it'll be a little better. This generation had people paying like $800 bucks for PS3's (some high number anyway) right off the bat, then finding out they weren't very good. On the flip side X-Box was still not cheap, and supposedly not technically as good as PS3 so that of course "had" to be defended as well. Then by now we've all learned they're pretty much the same, and only crazy weirdos are engaging in this console war stuff.

I think next gen a lot of us are going to make much more informed decisions regarding what we buy, therefore making us happier with what we buy, and hopefully reducing that kind of thing.

Of course it'll never go away totally because some people are just fucked.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#22  Edited By Little_Socrates

I have no real idea, I stopped using GaiaOnline a long time ago.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By haggis

As much as I'd hope gamers would get over fanboyism, they won't. The only reason we've seen less fanboyism with consoles is because the consoles are so damned old, and one only needs to sit in front of a AAA title on the PC for a few seconds to see how dated graphics look on both the Xbox and PS3. And yet as soon as new consoles come out, it's going to come back with a vengeance.

It's mostly about a need to defend a purchase or choice. Often people will have buyer's remorse about a mid-range ticket item like a game console. They become fanboys often (though not always) because they're trying to justify their choice to themselves, to convince themselves that their purchase was better than the alternative. Childish, and a waste of energy. I mean, seriously, people made it a point of moral superiority that they bought one console over another. It's mind-bogglingly idiotic, and idiocy is difficult to uproot. If I had to guess, it'll be worse next gen. But then I'm a pessimist when it comes to human nature.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Vinny_Says

Children will always need to justify the $300 console their mothers got them.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Hunter5024

Once I have one of the systems I'm going to embrace it like a new child, while simultaneously asserting how fucking shit the other console is, right up until I can afford both, and then I'll act like I'm better than all that. How else am I supposed to deal with my bitterness over not having both the toys I want?

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cannonballbam

Its so blurred across right now it doesn't really matter.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Benny

I think all these people play minecraft now so whichever console has that will probably be the source of all if this nonsense.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Doctorchimp

I think it seriously has toned down a lot...

Or my PC has made it so I really don't notice it at all anymore.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By imhungry

With any luck, the codename's will actually stick and then the arguments will just be fun to watch because people will be using dumb names like Durango and Orbis.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Sony and Microsoft should just join forces to destroy the devil that is Apple.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

War... war never changes...

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By impartialgecko

@ImHungry said:

With any luck, the codename's will actually stick and then the arguments will just be fun to watch because people will be using dumb names like Durango and Orbis.

In that case I want a Durango, just so I can say Durango seriously at every possible opportunity.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Akeldama

As a born again PC user, I am pretty excited to sit this console generation out and just enjoy the show.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DeF

@aceofspudz said:

It's generally accepted that sony and ms can coexist and receive basically the same titles at the same level of quality, and nintendo will continue to pursue their blue ocean with the occasional bone thrown to the loyal.

I believe Sony and MS are both operating on PC hardware at this point, so essentially...they're all the same console anyway. There isn't even an architectural difference to pin your loyalty to.

So I don't expect the console war to be all that rabid this time.

The recent Bayonetta 2 debacle proved that if the "right" game is locked up in exclusivity, people will still go all out nuts like the world is ending.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zeforgotten

It will stop being as bad when the damn fanboi-idiots stop with their constant inbreeding! 

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I honestly though that fanboyism was dying down. Only like middle schoolers agree if the xbox or PS3 or Wii is better than the other. Most older people could go, "Oh yea I have enough money to get another console" or "Who really cares!" I like playing on my xbox more but I can recognize that the current gen consoles are all great in their own way!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Phatmac

It won't ever be as bad as Sega fanboys.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By abendlaender

I imagine it will be like this:

WiiU Fanboys: Grafic is not that important, my tablett screen is!

PS4&720 Fanboys: It's all about the grafix biaaaaaaatch

PC Fanboys: All my games are so much better in every imaginable way and also you are all just kiddies!

And I will sit in a corner, eat popcorn and enjoy the hell out of it, then continue playing on my PC cause all of my games are so much better and consoles are for small and stupid children, unlike my PC which is for real men.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Terramagi

@adam1808 said:

@Canteu said:

It has gotten better over the years though. The Sega/Nintendo feud eclipses anything that went on in the last two generations.

The Great War is fought to this very day.

Sega shall rise again!

Avatar image for jigsawintospace
JigsawIntoSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JigsawIntoSpace

Most console fanboys are like gay republican men. They were dealt a card in life (usually because of their mothers) and now they can't deal with it, so they just go around pounding their chests, claiming they're so fuckin' straight you pussy and oh yeah, durango is teh best console, enjoy your PS4 fag. All these console fanboys really want is to be double teamed by their favorite consoles/gay men. Or something. I don't really know how analogies work.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gruff182

It'll be the same.

Justifying their purchase/lives with stupidity.

I'll buy them both, even though I am and will always be a PC guy.

Games, their pretty cool.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Either way, it's gonna be loud, obnoxious and really really stupid.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By algertman

Better probably. Sony fanboys have been destroyed these last few years over a hard dose of reality. Things like the PSP failing everywhere outside of Japan, the Vita failing everywhere, and PS3 not being a repeat of the PS2. Not to mention constantly getting jank ports from games built up on 360 first. Sure hardcore Sony fanboys still exist but it's like your crazy Uncle who you just smile and nod at. Just let them say have their minute to talk and move on.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By zeforgotten
@algertman said:

Better probably. Sony fanboys have been destroyed these last few years over a hard dose of reality. Things like the PSP failing everywhere outside of Japan, the Vita failing everywhere, and PS3 not being a repeat of the PS2. Not to mention constantly getting jank ports from games built up on 360 first. Sure hardcore Sony fanboys still exist but it's like your crazy Uncle who you just smile and nod at. Just let them say have their minute to talk and move on.

Typical to mention everything except the exclusives. 
Oh no, they probably got destroyed in that department too, I'm sure. 
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By Claude

I love my goddamn Wii better for sure. Surely it will be better. Even an old fart Nintendo fanboy like me knows how fucking stupid that shit is now. Giant Bomb and its forums taught me well.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By crusader8463

This site is pretty quick with it's anti fan boy ranting threads so it should be fine here. As for everywhere else, it's the internet so it will be the same as ever. The only way it could be worse is if one company royally fucks up some major aspect of their system and every fan boy in existence latches onto it like the PS3 having no games for a few years after launch on a larger scale.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Karl_Boss

Sega does what Nintendon't

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By hermes

Same as before.

It will start pretty idiotic, but once the technology settles and both receives mostly the same games, it will turn pointless...

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By YoungFrey

My perspective as an adult who can buy all the systems if I so choose is very different from a teenage who has to beg and plead to be given even a single one. People are naturally tribal. People get attached to anything they own. People justify their decisions whether they are good or bad. While I think it's dumb that there are petty pointless fights about systems, I absolutely understand why they exist. And in the realm of dumb shit our brains make us do, this is generally very benign.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By supamon

It will be the same as before. Hopefully GB stays mostly neutral and shuts down crazies before their fervor spreads. Even so, the next generation of teenage kids will be at the forefront, fighting for their chosen allegience with tooth and nail everywhere. Like fresh meat for the fanboyism grinder!!