How Can I Take Advantage Of My New 4K/HDR TV?

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By EthanielRain

My PC has a 970 with an i5-6500, so I don't expect to be able to do much resolution-wise...I'm not even sure what HDR is or if my PC can do it? Or is that up to the media itself? I'm assuming I'll get no difference between hooking my PC up to my 1080p TV and my 4K one - or will the TV's upscaling make it look somewhat better?

I'm guessing my only real(istic) options are the PS4 Pro or XBOX 1 S? Bummer that the PS4 PRO can't play the 4K Blu-Rays...can the XBOX 1 S take advantage of HDR in movies?

(As a side note, I bought this TV because my old one no longer worked. It's a cheaper one - LG UH6030 I think - and I'm not looking into *really* getting into 4K for a few years yet, when the media is more abundant and I get a high-end OLED. I don't want or expect to be all 4K, all the time or anything. It would just be nice to have one game drop my jaw the first time I see it! :D Any way I can do this easily?)

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Here's a decent briefer on HDR on PCs (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/22/hdr-gaming-and-the-pc-its-complicated/). Long story short, your graphics card should be able to output HDR so long as you have the appropiate HDMI cable and the game supports it. Sadly it seems lots of multi-platform games that have HDR on console aren't guaranteed to have HDR on PC.

So your best bet is probably a console. Might also want to read up on your TV and see how well the HDR works on it and possibly finding a game on PC that has good HDR to see if it is worth putting in more money on a new console, etc. Maybe someone who owns a 4k TV with HDR and a PC/PS4Pro/XB1S can stop by and talk about how much of a difference it does/doesn't make.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OurSin_360

You can drop settings and raise resolution if you want. I think a 970 is still technically more powerful than a ps4 pro. Scaling quality will depend on the tv, my tv scales 1440p very well but 1080p not so good. Actually anything over 1080p looks great on mine, there is also gpu scaling but i havent tried it.

I think the 10 series are the only cards to take advantage if hdr but im not sure. You could get a 1070 for about the price of a pro or cheaper, thay can handle 1440p very easy for a lot of current games at 60fps. The pro is upscaling 1440p mostly anyway.

Also i think only one game on pc actually supports hdr so far, shadow warrior 2. It is an underrated game and one of the best feeling shooters this year imo.

Xbox one S is still playing games at 1080p btw, only movies and apps benefit from the 4k and hdr.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The cheapest 4K system would probably be the Xbox One S, which does support HDR in games and in 4K Blu-Ray movies as far as I understand. The PS4 Pro on the other hand would give you a taste of 4K-ish HDR gaming at a slightly higher price-point without the 4K Blu-Ray support. And if you want to plop down even more money, then you could get a high-end GPU like a 1080 and try out 4K gaming on your PC.

Personally, I'd probably lean towards 4K movies and shows on the Xbox One S at this point and think about a GPU upgrade in the next cycle once 4K gaming becomes slightly more attainable and affordable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

There really isn't much 4K content with HDR out there yet. Maybe planet Earth 2 will support it, that would be great.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can give it to me. I'll make the most out of your hard-earned stacks.