#1 Edited by xyzygy (9891 posts) -

If Microsoft doesn't change their policies they are doomed! There is no way in hell anyone would choose to buy an Xbox One over a PS4. I don't care what you say, the facts speak for themselves and it's just the better console. But does Microsoft have what it takes to change their ways and reduce limitations to their system? Microsoft is a huge company and I don't see them just taking this huge hit without doing something.

I am totally buying a PS4. But I mean the games on the One that they showed today were amazing. I feel the only real good exclusives that ps4 had were infamous, killzone, the order, and FFXV (I cannot stand kingdom hearts) and that game was kind of announced like forever ago so it's really nothing new. However I loved almost every single game that Microsoft showed and they definitely seemed to have more quantity and focus on games. All they need to do is loosen up their restrictions and pricing to a PS4 level and then it will actually be competitive. At this point there is no competition.

#2 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Easy. No one gives a fuck about used games....That's the only thing people are excited about for the PS4 right now, and in a year people won't even remember what a fucking disc is. It's going to be all digital and both will have some sort of limited digital trade in program.

No big deal, people are excited over a dying medium. It's like being excited about used CD's 5 years ago.....

No way in hell? I'm ordering my Xbox One tomorrow.

#3 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -

I think they will make changes. I still think the games on the One appealed to me more than what was shown for the PS4 but for $399 that's probably what I'm getting first.

#4 Edited by tooPrime (338 posts) -

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I kind of want used games to go away. I don't really buy used and I'd prefer a more steam-like digital marketplace for consoles, and I don't think that's happening without some DRM. I'm wondering if there is some PS4 fine print, like the games will be 70 dollars or something.

#6 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@tooprime: I would be inclined to agree but that's putting too much trust into MS. That model works well on PC because you always have options, on a console you don't.

#7 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4593 posts) -

@tooprime said:

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I kind of want used games to go away. I don't really buy used and I'd prefer a more steam-like digital marketplace for consoles, and I don't think that's happening without some DRM. I'm wondering if there is some PS4 fine print, like the games will be 70 dollars or something.

No one begrudges you for wanting to buy games digitally. The argument from the start has been "there's room for both."

And there is. Sony just proved that.

#8 Edited by jerseyscum (861 posts) -

I just love ugly DRM-infested pieces of overpriced dogshit. Especially dogshit with built-in surveillance and wiretapping equipment that would never be misused to sell my personal information to advertisers. Or given to the NSA.

Microsoft now look like out of touch jerkoffs with zero credibility with their market. Spitting in the faces of people who supported the Xbox brand isn't the smartest way to market a product.

#10 Edited by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

I think it's way too early to say which console is better. When they're out is when we'll really know that. On paper, though, the PS4 definitely seems way better. Especially to us here on the GB forums, who mostly see Kinect as being an obstacle in the way of fun, and who are scared by DRM. I can't imagine why I'd pay an extra $100 for a supposedly less powerful system where I can't play used games (even though I don't do that anyway) and also incur the risk of maybe having to use Kinect to control my video games. I was skeptical when people were saying that Microsoft would have the same kind of hubris that Sony had with the PS3. I would have said that leopards don't often change their spots. I didn't figure that savvy Microsoft and out-of-touch Sony would change places because I thought those characteristics were way too entrenched within these companies. Here I sit, though, apparently wrong about all of that. For the past few months, I've been thinking that this generation should be the first time that I buy a console on launch day and be part of all that madness for once. If I follow through on that, it looks like the PlayStation 4 is the surer bet, to my surprise.

#11 Edited by Nictel (2380 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Easy. No one gives a fuck about used games....That's the only thing people are excited about for the PS4 right now, and in a year people won't even remember what a fucking disc is. It's going to be all digital and both will have some sort of limited digital trade in program.

No big deal, people are excited over a dying medium. It's like being excited about used CD's 5 years ago.....

That's not what is important. Sony listened to feedback and put the consumer, not the publisher, first. That's the big deal here. It's not the disc-based market. It's the approach, Sony comes to this saying "Ok let us hear what you have to say" where Microsoft just goes "Fuck you, deal with it."

#12 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5222 posts) -

Shot's were definitely fired tonight. I really don't know what Microsoft is going to do going forward.

#13 Edited by Nictel (2380 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

That's not what is important. Sony listened to feedback and put the consumer, not the publisher, first. That's the big deal here. It's not the disc-based market. It's the approach, Sony comes to this saying "Ok let us hear what you have to say" where Microsoft just goes "Fuck you, deal with it."

#14 Edited by Nictel (2380 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

#16 Edited by Nictel (2380 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

#17 Edited by DystopiaX (5293 posts) -

@tooprime said:

No one begrudges you for wanting to buy games digitally. The argument from the start has been "there's room for both."

It's not even used games. It's the "I have a friend who really wants to check out this copy of Tales of Graces I have, I want to be able to lend it to him without some crazy DRM policy stopping me from doing so"

and the "My internet connection is spotty, I want to be able to play games without it being online".

#18 Edited by InsaneGenis (95 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Playstation is for poor people? What about your silver membership? To busy living paycheck to paycheck to pump out the one big payment?

#19 Edited by Nictel (2380 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

#20 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@nictel said:

@jdh5153 said:

Woo, Sony caters to whiny kids on the Internet...At least Microsoft has balls.

#21 Posted by DystopiaX (5293 posts) -

@tooprime said:

It's not even used games. It's the "I have a friend who really wants to check out this copy of Tales of Graces I have, I want to be able to lend it to him without some crazy DRM policy stopping me from doing so"

and the "My internet connection is spotty, I want to be able to play games without it being online".

#22 Edited by spraynardtatum (2604 posts) -
@nictel said:

@jdh5153 said:

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!! That was the greatest gesture in gaming history I have ever seen.

Xbone Go Home.

#23 Edited by Nictel (2380 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

#24 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@nictel said:

@jdh5153 said:

Woo, Sony caters to whiny kids on the Internet...At least Microsoft has balls.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

#25 Posted by LiquidPrince (15842 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Speak for yourself. While I don't tend to buy used games, I know a ton of people who do. If you want to reward Xbox for having a shittier policy that does not reward the consumer in anyway, then go ahead. Meanwhile Sony is listening to it's gamers. Not only that, it is bringing to the table significantly more powerful system for $100 cheaper.

#26 Posted by InsaneGenis (95 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Playstation is for poor people? What about your silver membership? To busy living paycheck to paycheck to pump out the one big payment?

#27 Posted by DystopiaX (5293 posts) -

@tooprime said:

#28 Posted by AlisterCat (5481 posts) -

They will still sell a lot of consoles, don't worry.

#29 Edited by Nictel (2380 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

#30 Edited by AlisterCat (5481 posts) -

#33 Posted by theveej (812 posts) -

A) there a ton of people who have 360 just to paly COD and sports games, they don't necessary care for used games etc. If a game like Titanfall hits big with the crowd, then Sony is kind of screwed. Halo is still bigger than any of the exclusive shown by Sony today, and overall Microsoft seemed to have the better exclusives (I dont even think FF15 and KH3 are exclusives)

B) PSN is still unproven, there has been a lot of nice talks but people know that Xbox live works well, I personally really hope Sony comes through with a new and improved PSN but it is Sony afterall

C) If the contract stuff is true, Microsoft can still come up with 299 console which would make this whole thing change again.

D) they can easily change their stance on used games and lending, not sure about always online stuff. That seems to be sticking.

Over all PS4 obviously made a better case, but people might not really care that much about used games in the long run. I just hope they both turn out to be really good and strong so we will have a competitive market.

#34 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1232 posts) -

To me it is not about used games since I buy all my games new, it is that I don't trust Microsoft's servers to stay up at all times and the potential black hole that will happen when the servers go offline when there are new consoles in the future.

#40 Posted by R_Coles (71 posts) -

Plent of people will buy the xbox one, as well as PS4. As silly as it seems I know a lot of my friends that still love the kinect and their kids play it all the time. Sony will have a SKU with their camera that is a higher price point.

#42 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4152 posts) -

I bet that the subsizdized XONE model will get announced like in July, early.

#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (35992 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

That's the only thing people are excited about for the PS4 right now

Except Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy. And other games.

in a year people won't even remember what a fucking disc is. It's going to be all digital and both will have some sort of limited digital trade in program.

And isn't this assuming a lot? People are pissed off about Microsoft wanting you to check in every 24 hours; what makes you think that they'd be fine moving the majority of games entirely to digital?

#44 Posted by AlisterCat (5481 posts) -

#47 Edited by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

It's going to take longer than a year for people to forget that discs are a thing. Gamespot's profits are huge in used game sales and publishers made such a big deal out of used games which are discs, then obviously people give a huge fuck about used games. Used game market is pretty big. An all digital future is still a ways off.

Good for you that you like the Xbox One, but general consensus is that Sony side stepped and hooked MS right in the face today. MS has to face this reality of their policies are not being well received and although they showed some exciting games, the price of their system as of this point is not in competition of the PS4. When both systems are close in parity in terms of power, the price and the power of exclusives are great. Both had some big exclusives to show, MS with a little more quantity.

If the consoles were to come out today with their full launch lineups, that $399 price vs $499 would absolutely win Sony the day even though MS has the exclusive quantity.

#49 Posted by RonGalaxy (2868 posts) -

@jdh5153: LoL. You're fucking delusional

#50 Posted by kishinfoulux (2254 posts) -

Such a weird conference with Sony. Mostly didn't care about anything shown (save for Final Fantasy and Destiny), but they absolutely destroyed Microsoft within a 2 minute frame.