How can Microsoft survive this gen with current policies?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@jdh5153 said:

That's the only thing people are excited about for the PS4 right now

Except Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy. And other games.

in a year people won't even remember what a fucking disc is. It's going to be all digital and both will have some sort of limited digital trade in program.

And isn't this assuming a lot? People are pissed off about Microsoft wanting you to check in every 24 hours; what makes you think that they'd be fine moving the majority of games entirely to digital?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I bet that the subsizdized XONE model will get announced like in July, early.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By Enigma777

Halo + Titanfall

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I bet that the subsizdized XONE model will get announced like in July, early.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

FUCK USED GAMES! It's about not owning a physical thing you bought because it needs to ping some fucking server. I don't give a damn about used games, I care that my thousands of dollars collection of games isn't worthless in a decade.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jdh5153: I don't care about used games either, but since some people do, Microsoft probably should have done more to justify a change in policy from the 360 than they've done. Personally, I actually would rather have games attached to an account that I can take everywhere than continue with all these discs, but you can't deny that those discs do come with a certain amount of liberty that all-digital doesn't have. Given that their prices are separated by $100, the X1's advantages need to be rock-solid, but they're not. They're Kinect and all-digital, and these are dubious advantages, until Microsoft proves they're truly amazing.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it is so much "used games" but just convenience. Someone is done with some game but there is no point in loaning a game to a brother or sister. Someone 10 years from now decides to empty out a closet where not only is selling the bin full of XB1 games pointless it might be impossible to sell the XBox One console itself.

Giant_Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Giant_Bomb

I imagine Microsoft will continually revise policies as the generation progresses. In the end XONE and PS4 will sell within range of each other and all those people saying they'll stick to PC gaming will eventually cave and buy a system.

Not me though, I'm sticking to PC games.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Freshbandito

@jdh5153 said:

Easy. No one gives a fuck about used games....That's the only thing people are excited about for the PS4 right now, and in a year people won't even remember what a fucking disc is. It's going to be all digital and both will have some sort of limited digital trade in program.

No big deal, people are excited over a dying medium. It's like being excited about used CD's 5 years ago.....

No way in hell? I'm ordering my Xbox One tomorrow.

Good lord, is this really what people think of and say as their rights as a consumer are taken away from them? If this is how everyone thinks then we're closer to a depressing society where big companies own us body and soul than anyone should ever want.

You just don't seem to understand that the reason people are upset is because Microsoft are taking something away from consumers and are saying "Fuck you, WE are deciding what's best for you! Fuck you, sit there and take it!" and whilst they do that you happily sit there and swallow the whole stinking load and then ask for more, it is disgusting how you'd happily let microsoft tell you how you'll have no ownership of things you purchase and then applaud as though they're doing you a favour.

Sony heard their fans outcry and responded, they're letting us keep our rights and freedoms as a consumer whilst they move forward towards the digital age, they've done everything right and it's why we'll see microsoft eventually backpeddle and do the same.

Remember, every right taken from you is an injustice, if you keep letting people take your rights away you'll eventually have none.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By EXTomar

I don't think it is so much "used games" but just convenience. Someone is done with some game but there is no point in loaning a game to a brother or sister. Someone 10 years from now decides to empty out a closet where not only is selling the bin full of XB1 games pointless it might be impossible to sell the XBox One console itself.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@jdh5153: LoL. You're fucking delusional

I love the "Microsoft has balls" line most. Implying that it's braver to side with other multi-multi-billion-dollar-corporations than to the consumer and the fan. Ignore that dude. He's still stuck in 2005 with his childish fanboyism.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I think if Microsoft can convince Comcast and Verizon to sell XBones on a subscription model as part of your internet service then maybe they could get some market penetration.

TheFryerFeign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By TheFryerFeign

@jdh5153 said:

Easy. No one gives a fuck about used games....That's the only thing people are excited about for the PS4 right now, and in a year people won't even remember what a fucking disc is. It's going to be all digital and both will have some sort of limited digital trade in program.

No big deal, people are excited over a dying medium. It's like being excited about used CD's 5 years ago.....

It's not only used games people are excited about. It is also $100 cheaper and when the online service eventually goes away i can still play the games i bought for that system whether they are digital or not.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@theveej said:

A) there a ton of people who have 360 just to paly COD and sports games, they don't necessary care for used games etc. If a game like Titanfall hits big with the crowd, then Sony is kind of screwed. Halo is still bigger than any of the exclusive shown by Sony today, and overall Microsoft seemed to have the better exclusives (I dont even think FF15 and KH3 are exclusives)

B) PSN is still unproven, there has been a lot of nice talks but people know that Xbox live works well, I personally really hope Sony comes through with a new and improved PSN but it is Sony afterall

C) If the contract stuff is true, Microsoft can still come up with 299 console which would make this whole thing change again.

D) they can easily change their stance on used games and lending, not sure about always online stuff. That seems to be sticking.

Over all PS4 obviously made a better case, but people might not really care that much about used games in the long run. I just hope they both turn out to be really good and strong so we will have a competitive market.

FF15 is an exclusive, I think they announced that ahead of time (Sony is helping fund development of it) and I'd believe that KH3 is as well.

PSN has proven itself in the last year and a half ever since they got hacked. Everyone who has it now is more or less very satisfied with it. On the other hand, everyone that I know who subscribes to XBL has been feeling an increasing dissatisfaction with it.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jdh5153 said:

Good lord, is this really what people think of and say as their rights as a consumer are taken away from them? If this is how everyone thinks then we're closer to a depressing society where big companies own us body and soul than anyone should ever want.

You just don't seem to understand that the reason people are upset is because Microsoft are taking something away from consumers and are saying "Fuck you, WE are deciding what's best for you! Fuck you, sit there and take it!" and whilst they do that you happily sit there and swallow the whole stinking load and then ask for more, it is disgusting how you'd happily let microsoft tell you how you'll have no ownership of things you purchase and then applaud as though they're doing you a favour.

Sony heard their fans outcry and responded, they're letting us keep our rights and freedoms as a consumer whilst they move forward towards the digital age, they've done everything right and it's why we'll see microsoft eventually backpeddle and do the same.

Remember, every right taken from you is an injustice, if you keep letting people take your rights away you'll eventually have none.

People sure are giving this troll a lot of attention. He probably works for them for crying out loud, just look at all his other posts. I agree with everything you say though.

TheFryerFeign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

It's not only used games people are excited about. It is also $100 cheaper and when the online service eventually goes away i can still play the games i bought for that system whether they are digital or not.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So no one actually answered the question? Just a bunch of people insulting each other. I guess I can give it a try:

• Microsoft hits it out of the park with its exclusives. High praise and high sales drive sales of the console despite the current policies.
  • The massive install base moves over to the Xone because it's what they know best and don't want to switch to the main competitor/PC
  • Microsoft cuts the price before launch or shortly after. It sort of worked for the 3DS right?
  • Their servers and "cloud" shit is so good that people are willing to deal with the DRM (super fast downloads, massive and cheap game library that renders the used market useless, etc)
  • Microsoft straight up changes their policies to match Sony (is anything ever really set in stone?)

Those are some of the ways I can think of. Then again I'm no industry expert, I just like playing vidya gaems.

s0mah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@enigma777: This, really. I don't give a fuck about used games, and I care even less about JRPGs. Sony could wrap up the next 25 Final Fantasy titles as exclusives, and all the redditors of the world could simultaneously erupt into a weeaboo-SHOTSFIRED-orgasm, but the games that I want to play were at Microsoft today.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By WasabiCurry

Glad to see MS Fan boys are in full swing. I am a PC gamer at heart now, but fuck. Sony just straight up pwned MS.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a weird conference with Sony. Mostly didn't care about anything shown (save for Final Fantasy and Destiny), but they absolutely destroyed Microsoft within a 2 minute frame.

I couldn't watch any stage shows today...what was the "...2 minute frame..."?

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apathy... For me it's all about the games. Dead Rising 3 is probably the game I want the most out of everything that's been announced today, and if it's actually a launch title for the Xbone then it's going to be hard for me to resist. I rarely trade in games, and usually the only games I buy used are games that end up sitting on my backlog so while I'm against the Xbone's policies they aren't enough to drive me away completely. The online thing is also annoying, but will only be a problem when my internet goes out for whatever reason.

Though when it comes to multiplatform games then chances are my money is going to go to the company with the least draconian policies and right now that is clearly Sony. So in the long run I see Sony getting the vast majority of my gaming money.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see MS Fan boys are in full swing. I am a PC gamer at heart now, but fuck. Sony just straight up pwned MS.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a weird conference with Sony. Mostly didn't care about anything shown (save for Final Fantasy and Destiny), but they absolutely destroyed Microsoft within a 2 minute frame.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apathy... For me it's all about the games. Dead Rising 3 is probably the game I want the most out of everything that's been announced today, and if it's actually a launch title for the Xbone then it's going to be hard for me to resist. I rarely trade in games, and usually the only games I buy used are games that end up sitting on my backlog so while I'm against the Xbone's policies they aren't enough to drive me away completely. The online thing is also annoying, but will only be a problem when my internet goes out for whatever reason.

Though when it comes to multiplatform games then chances are my money is going to go to the company with the least draconian policies and right now that is clearly Sony. So in the long run I see Sony getting the vast majority of my gaming money.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They will still sell a lot of consoles, don't worry.

Yep, they'll still break records. But damn, Sony has most of the internet in their corner.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@extomar: No DRM. No online requirement. $100 cheaper.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully, they don't!

Which is to say, I hope they change their policies, not I hope they go out of business.

Sorry if that was confusing.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#90  Edited By ThePickle

On the hardware side, I doubt there is much they can do. The Xbox One will very likely release with the features Microsoft has detailed. On the marketing side, they brush all the unpleasant stuff aside, bank hard on the Xbox name, and put a big focus on the media stuff.

If all else fails, there's Halo. Master Chief inexplicably wearing a robe (he has armor, he doesn't need a robe) will likely attract a decent number of people.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I imagine Microsoft will continually revise policies as the generation progresses. In the end XONE and PS4 will sell within range of each other and all those people saying they'll stick to PC gaming will eventually cave and buy a system.

Not me though, I sticking to PC games.

Microsoft did state that they reserve the right to change policies at any time, though starting out of the gate in the state they're in is like beginning the race by shooting themselves in the foot. They might recover in the long run but they soundly lost the initial PR war.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I am screenshooting to remember these arguments. Say cheese! :3

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By AngriGhandi

Hopefully, they don't!

Which is to say, I hope they change their policies, not I hope they go out of business.

Sorry if that was confusing.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass is stupid, fanboys and sellouts will shape the minds of impressionable kids, if you doubt me, go check Roosterteeth's youtube page, they are working overtime to sell the Xbox One.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Side topic: Sorry about the multiple posts...I'm not sure how they are coming but it has to do with the site flakiness.

I wondered if Sony was going to try to go "No DRM". The less relaxed the DRM is the more appealing it is to small developers so while I am not surprised they went that way but I still can't help but be surprised they went that way.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By jdh5153

LMAO.

I'm glad you're offended so, that I'm willing to spend my money on something I'll greatly enjoy.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Side topic: Sorry about the multiple posts...I'm not sure how they are coming but it has to do with the site flakiness.

I wondered if Sony was going to try to go "No DRM". The less relaxed the DRM is the more appealing it is to small developers so while I am not surprised they went that way but I still can't help but be surprised they went that way.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I just don't know how they stand much of a chance if both consoles launch as is.