How censorship can lead to better video games - discussion.

• 60 results
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#51  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Wolverine said:
"
@HandsomeDead said:
Not to mention you also have that crowd of gamers who just want cheap, empty fun and anything that tries to be clever is immediately labelled as 'pretentious'."
I think games really have an opportunity to go main stream and be considered a serious form of media like film and books are. The first thing that has to be done is the phrase video games needs to be eradicated and we need to start calling this form of media Interactive Entertainment or IE (Not Internet Explorer xD). Then more serious innovate games need to come out that are not all action orriented and can tell a story that doesn't envolve any sort of fighting or action while telling a great story that makes you feel things without using cut scenes because cut scenes are basically the same thing as film with CG. "
(To HD) That's more a problem with humanity than this particular medium.

(To Wolverine) All we need is time. Movies were considered originally considered shit compared to *prepares pretentious, snobby voice* the sophisticated plays in theaters of the day, *ends voice* and theaters, conversely, were considered evil when they were experiencing a rebirth around the 17th century. And my solution is simple: get rid of the term video game (sad, I know) and replace it with the new, more pretentious term "interactive media." Instead of people thinking, "I'm playing a game, I feel like a man-child, my life sucks", they'll think, "I'm interacting! WITH MEDIA!! Holy crap, I'm smart and progressive! *puts on beret, pretentiously snickers*"
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By cspiffo
@Alexander: But rape games are legal.  Your confusing things.  self censorship and government censorship are two very different things.  A Government of free people should do everything it can to protect that freedom not enactthat can be misconstrued or outright abused by the popular opinion.

Here's my case in point.  Someone wants to sell a game about rape.  He wants it to be main stream so he sends it to the ESRB for rating.  They rate it an AO title along with a description of the contents of the game.

What does that mean for the developer.  Well that means that Walmart and every other self respecting storefront will refuse to carry it.  Does that make his content illegal?  No.  It just means he will have to find another avenue to sell his game.  He could try to establish a website and sell it online but then the provider of the online service may refuse to allow him to publish his website as it goes against its terms of service.

Nowhere in this process did an actual law prevent him from selling his game.  It does however keep him from selling it to the at large public.  I say the problem was solved.  You should ask yourself why you feel the need to infringe on someone elses rights.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By keyhunter

Mortal Kombat Vs DC was crap you guys.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By Alexander
@cspiffo: I was just talking about censorship in general and applying it to video games, so yes I am totally confusing what you were talking about in particular. I'm not a person who is in favour of government intervention in general.

And I didn't know rape games could be legally sold, either here in the UK or where I'll assume you're from, the US. I may well be mistaken. As for Japan, a body have decided to ban rape games. That will most likely be law once they sort out definitions.

I don't have a problem with that. As well as rights, we as people have a responsibility to the rest of society, making games about rape is irresponsible to the point where it shouldn't be available to the public in any form. I don't care how that happens (and your example works) but I would like to think that if it were necessary, a governing body could be directly involved with censoring, they should have that power.

Again though, I was being more general with my earlier comments.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By cspiffo
@Alexander said:
" @cspiffo: I was just talking about censorship in general and applying it to video games, so yes I am totally confusing what you were talking about in particular. I'm not a person who is in favour of government intervention in general.

And I didn't know rape games could be legally sold, either here in the UK or where I'll assume you're from, the US. I may well be mistaken. As for Japan, a body have decided to ban rape games. That will most likely be law once they sort out definitions.I don't have a problem with that. As well as rights, we as people have a responsibility to the rest of society, making games about rape is irresponsible to the point where it shouldn't be available to the public in any form. I don't care how that happens (and your example works) but I would like to think that if it were necessary, a governing body could be directly involved with censoring, they should have that power.Again though, I was being more general with my earlier comments. "
Yes I am US.  I still don't agree.  What's bad for one person may be good or even decent for another.  All censorship does is encourage stereotyping (oooh, games are just for kids).  For instance.  If a law such as that is passed in Japan then that means that pretty much no imagery of rape can be displayed in a game even if it's displayed in a reasonable contextual manner.  Movies have had rape scenes in them and nobody has been harmed by that.  Why should it be different for video games or any other media.  That's what non-government ratings boards are for; to determine the content and set guidelines appropriately.  Government should not get involved.  I do not agree with how the BBFC can just outright ban games.   Then again.  I don't live in the UK so it doesn't affect me.

I do wish that free speech was better protected in this day and age.  It seems like day by day our rights are being taken away from us and the usual culprit is public fear.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Video_Game_King said:
"
@Wolverine said:
"
@HandsomeDead said:
Not to mention you also have that crowd of gamers who just want cheap, empty fun and anything that tries to be clever is immediately labelled as 'pretentious'."
I think games really have an opportunity to go main stream and be considered a serious form of media like film and books are. The first thing that has to be done is the phrase video games needs to be eradicated and we need to start calling this form of media Interactive Entertainment or IE (Not Internet Explorer xD). Then more serious innovate games need to come out that are not all action orriented and can tell a story that doesn't envolve any sort of fighting or action while telling a great story that makes you feel things without using cut scenes because cut scenes are basically the same thing as film with CG. "
(To HD) That's more a problem with humanity than this particular medium.

(To Wolverine) All we need is time. Movies were considered originally considered shit compared to *prepares pretentious, snobby voice* the sophisticated plays in theaters of the day, *ends voice* and theaters, conversely, were considered evil when they were experiencing a rebirth around the 17th century. And my solution is simple: get rid of the term video game (sad, I know) and replace it with the new, more pretentious term "interactive media." Instead of people thinking, "I'm playing a game, I feel like a man-child, my life sucks", they'll think, "I'm interacting! WITH MEDIA!! Holy crap, I'm smart and progressive! *puts on beret, pretentiously snickers*" "
True, but at least other mediums have ways of weeding that audience out. You have your Michael Bay movies for people who want just fun explosions but you have your Curtis Hanson movies for people who want depth. In video games, there doesn't seem to be that kind of distinction.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Video_Game_King
@HandsomeDead said:
True, but at least other mediums have ways of weeding that audience out. You have your Michael Bay movies for people who want just fun explosions but you have your Curtis Hanson movies for people who want depth. In video games, there doesn't seem to be that kind of distinction. "
What about RPGs? There are tons of them with depth and interpretation and emotional connection.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By cspiffo
@HandsomeDead:  I think we're getting there though.  You have you Kojima games, and your Micheal Ancel games, and your Tim Schafer games.

also @Video_Game_King  Yet you still call motion pictures...Movies!!! LOL!  Let's face it.  the term Video Games will never die for our favorite form of entertainment.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Video_Game_King said:
"
@HandsomeDead said:
True, but at least other mediums have ways of weeding that audience out. You have your Michael Bay movies for people who want just fun explosions but you have your Curtis Hanson movies for people who want depth. In video games, there doesn't seem to be that kind of distinction. "
What about RPGs? There are tons of them with depth and interpretation and emotional connection. "
But on the flip side, there's also very little action in those games. It's as if there's one genre for depth and everything else can be as shallow as it wants. Like cspiffo says, games made by people like Hideo Kojima and Tim Schafer are the direction I feel video games should go into. It's just that for every one of those games, we end up with a million generic others.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Video_Game_King
@HandsomeDead said:
But on the flip side, there's also very little action in those games. It's as if there's one genre for depth and everything else can be as shallow as it wants. Like cspiffo says, games made by people like Hideo Kojima and Tim Schafer are the direction I feel video games should go into. It's just that for every one of those games, we end up with a million generic others. "
Then I think you need to be introduced to Sturgeon's Law.