• 63 results
#1 Posted by Mob7645 (16 posts) -

So i ordered a little Christmas gift for myself this year, a new gaming computer. Despite some of the negative reviews i had seen about their computers being sent DOA I dismissed it an ordered when they had their black Friday promotion. Of course black Friday was a long time ago and today 12/19/2012 the package arrived from at my door. I couldn't wait to open it up and get everything going. I was hoping their would be no problems with it working but the second i opened the box that was the least of my worries. I noticed that the computer looked very different from what i ordered. The case was wrong, There was engraving on the case i did not order and there was no blu ray drive. I was very confused till a ripped the invoice off the box opened it up and read it. It seems like putting shipping labels on the right boxes these days are very hard and they sent me another customers computer and mine was to that customer. I guess the only good thing in all of this is the customer who got my computer called also about the switch up. I was afraid that might not happen because the other persons computer was invoiced at 540 dollars and mine is invoiced at 2100 dollars. The Customer service person I'm dealing with just wants to apologize every 5 seconds and have me take 15 different pictures of the box and computer. When i asked what was there plan to fix this mess they did not have an answer. So in all 2100 dollars later i have a computer sitting in my living room that is almost in equal power as the old one ive been using for the last 5 years. It took me a long time to save up to buy this thing and i can see them asking me to ship it somewhere without giving me a instant credit for the shipping. This would kinda suck considering all the money i spent on Christmas and all the money i have spent on repairs because of Hurricane Sandy.

#2 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

Should have used BuyXG.

#3 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2413 posts) -

Should have just bought parts on new egg....

#4 Posted by Mob7645 (16 posts) -

I'm reggreting that now. I knew i wouldn't have the time to build it myself because ive been working 70 hour work weeks for the last 2 months. But finding the time to build it would be better then this mess.

#5 Edited by dekkadekkadekka (730 posts) -

I had a similar experience with Alienware just after they were bought by Dell and launched their XPS line.

My computer turned up with 500 quids worth of accessories missing, the case locked with no keys to open it, and damage. But hey, at least the free tshirt and keychain arrived intact! So anyway, complained, sent it back (they paid for this and the subsequent return...) and then a month later I got it back.

This time, the tshirt and keychain were missing! But also, more accessories had gone missing and now, the case had a crack running right down the front panel which had clearly been fixed with a hot glue gun. Got a full refund at the end of the return process but the story doesn't end there.

It ends about two years later. One of the "features" of owning this XPS machine was an engraved metal plate that sat inside the case, basically saying you bought one of the first machines of that brand off the line. Well I guess they forgot to include it both times they returned it, because two years later I received a padded envelope, with that metal plate in it. I laughed and threw it in the bin.

Started building my own computers the next week and never looked back.

#6 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

You don't get this problem with Apple :)

#7 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (730 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Speaking from personal experience, you generally don't, but then you also don't get value for money.

#8 Posted by nabokovfan87 (203 posts) -

Be thankful they are doing all of the work for you, you have a warranty, and someone to call if there is an issue.

I built a machine for someone for christmas

built it

, had the parts in 3 days

nd had a doa mobo to diagnose

#9 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

I ordered a PC from Cyberpower about 4-5 years ago when the 8800GT's had just come out. My computer arrived perfectly intact and I'm still using the same case, on which the fans still work. I replaced all the components over time, but not because of defections. Companies make mistakes sometimes, especially during heavy loads.

#10 Posted by nabokovfan87 (203 posts) -

that's a good idea,  why would i ever want to edit a post.

phone keeps messing up!

anyways, built a machine, had to test it, take my machine apart to do so, fix my and new machine, order new mobo, rebuild new machine, and now I'm setting up software.

Hard to see how they ruined anything when you are paying because you didn't want to do the work yourself.
#11 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@dekkadekkadekka said:

@jdh5153 said:

Speaking from personal experience, you generally don't, but then you also don't get value for money.

That's like saying buying a Mercedes doesn't get you value for your money.

#12 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2413 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

I don't think you read his post right, he wants a GAMING computer.

#13 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

$2100?! At that price, you could have bought absolute top-of-the-line components and just paid a friend or local computer shop to build it for you.

I sympathize with your predicament, though. Hopefully you get this mess sorted out before all the Steam sales are over.

#14 Edited by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -
@jdh5153 said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

@jdh5153 said:

#15 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (730 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

@jdh5153 said:

Correct but it also functions as compensation for your tiny penis.

#16 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

If you paid with it on a Credit Card, you can call your Credit Card company and have them deal with it. They will fight for you, hopefully Cyberpower steps up their game for you and builds a system fast and sends it like 2 day shipping with a return label for their mistake; as well as possibly upgrading it a bit further than what you ordered.

Otherwise, add yourself to that list of Negative reviews for them; and hopefully soon enough they'll step up their QC or no longer be a company.

#17 Posted by Mob7645 (16 posts) -

I feel like i am just going to get a run around. Thankfully Bank of America has a pretty clean cut dispute system if it comes to that

#18 Posted by Kidavenger (3511 posts) -

@Mob7645 said:

2100 dollars

Haha, what were you thinking...

#19 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

Ewww...gross.

@Mob7645: There's no way that PC really costs 2100, what did you put in it? You should have built it man.

Unbelievable you paid such a premium, and they still messed it up.

#20 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

I built my own PC a few months back and there was a couple times where I thought something was broken, and it was such a terrible feeling. Luckily it turned out I was just not screwing something in correctly, but the soul crushing feeling was still there until I was able to figure out I was just being dumb as it was my first time building a PC.

Wish you the best of luck. If it was me I would be getting my money back and just building it myself, but to each their own.

#21 Posted by Mob7645 (16 posts) -

im considering backing out but it all depends on how they handle this situation from here. Waiting for them to call me back.

#22 Posted by beeftothetaco (420 posts) -

@dekkadekkadekka said:

@jdh5153 said:

Boom.

#23 Posted by Fistoh (119 posts) -

Dats waht u git 4 bein a Devils fan lolololol.  
I kid, I kid, no one likes dealing with shitting customer service, really hope this gets all settled out for you, but yeah definitely build your own next time, it'll certainly be a project, yeah, but you'll be so much better off in the end. I'm a stupid fucking kid and bought an Alienware, although I did get it basically half off (from 2000 to about 1100), I still wish I had built my own. Best of luck <3

#24 Posted by Mister_V (1194 posts) -

That sucks man. My PC is from Cyberpower (UK) and it's been great. Their customer service has been fantastic for me but yeah spending a lot of cash on a new PC and having issues with it sucks. When I first got my job I spent a stupid amount of money on an Alienware area 51 ALX machine and I had so many issues with it (Nvidia drivers crashing out the box, case lights failing, the cpu fan/cooling system failing twice!) I still to this day regret buying that thing.

#25 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (730 posts) -

@Mister_V said:

That sucks man. My PC is from Cyberpower (UK) and it's been great. Their customer service has been fantastic for me but yeah spending a lot of cash on a new PC and having issues with it sucks. When I first got my job I spent a stupid amount of money on an Alienware area 51 ALX machine and I had so many issues with it (Nvidia drivers crashing out the box, case lights failing, the cpu fan/cooling system failing twice!) I still to this day regret buying that thing.

See earlier in this thread where I tell of my issues with that exact same machine. Fucken Alienware.

#26 Posted by Mister_V (1194 posts) -

Ha, yep my ingraved plate turned up months later as well. I'm not sure if mine was one of the first off the production line but when I made my first (of many) calls to the helpline they didn't even have a service guide for that model. And to think I could have bought a decent second hand car with what I spent on that.

#27 Posted by iceman228433 (583 posts) -

Like others have said that is why I just buy parts off a amazon/newegg now and just make it from home seems to be much cheaper as well, but sorry this happened to you that sucks.

#28 Edited by Toxeia (728 posts) -

I keep typing stuff out, but I'm just pissed you went to CyberPower for it, even after reading about issues with them coming in DOA. If you didn't want to deal with a bunch of shit and RMAs, why would you go to someone that has a record of shipping dead hardware?

I guarantee you know someone who's capable of building a computer. Order the parts, get them delivered to you (or them if you trust them), and then hang out with them for an afternoon/evening and get it built. That $2100 is bullshit. And I bet the motherboard in that thing was garbage too.

Oh, and cut CyberPower off at the knees. Call your bank, tell them they sent you the wrong order and aren't cooperating in correcting the issue. Then demand that CyberPower pay for shipping that case either back to them or to the intended recipient. Or you can put it in the trash for all of $0.

#29 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

You don't with any major manufacturer/distributor.

Let's not try and spin this into Apple vs. PC, plz.

#30 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

I've dealt with Cyperpower and found them very competent and accommodating. Sounds like this could be resolved quite simply as long as they pull their finger out and deal with the shipping to get the systems back to the right addresses. You may have to put your foot down over that. I sympathise with your frustration and misfortune.

#31 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

@Mob7645:

@Jace said:

I ordered a PC from Cyberpower about 4-5 years ago when the 8800GT's had just come out. My computer arrived perfectly intact and I'm still using the same case, on which the fans still work. I replaced all the components over time, but not because of defections. Companies make mistakes sometimes, especially during heavy loads.

Almost exact same story here. I bought a gaming PC from them around that same time and it arrived on time without any problems. You are bound to eventually have a problem somewhere, especially with the volume of business they do. You have to realize that this is on the head of some low level warehouse employee most likely. But yeah, you should probably just go the Newegg route in the future OP. I promise you can handle it. I built my first in a few hours, and subsequent builds have been even faster.

#32 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

i bet you couriers etc cost double at this time of year

#33 Posted by VoshiNova (1640 posts) -

Duuuuuude, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

Please please please look into building your next rig. I swear to god, by the time you need to upgrade it will be even easier than it is now. And right now, it is ridiculously easy.

#34 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

I also bought a cyberpower PC a couple of years ago and just upgraded the parts myself as i went along

#35 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

You also don't get games from Apple, so why the fuck would you spend $2100 on a compute half as capable in many regards just to have to spend more on software because there are far fewer small third party options available to you?

Also, you totally do. I've heard a couple of horror stories about Apple, and they have a notoriously awful post-purchase service operation. I remember being told that replacing the cable inside my macbook to fix my screen shorting out would cost $700. For a cable. On a fucking computer that was supposed to be covered by their protection plan.

Not to mention the burns I had from the battery, and the melted chargers.

#36 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (604 posts) -

I feel bad man, that's an awful story!! That said, even though I've never "built" a PC, for the kind of money you spent you probably should have. 2,100 is A LOT for a PC, building one I'd guess you could make one just as good if not better for 1500, then just upgrade as the years go on. Sorry to hear that! That's a big chunk of change to spend on something you don't even have now.

#37 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3753 posts) -

I ordered all my parts to build my first PC myself for Christmas. This is scaring me.

But oh well. I know it's a different situation but I'll be bummed if I get a faulty part.

#38 Posted by ch3burashka (5011 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

$2100?! At that price, you could have bought absolute top-of-the-line components and just paid a friend or local computer shop to build it for you.

I sympathize with your predicament, though. Hopefully you get this mess sorted out before all the Steam sales are over.

I've been interested in a gaming computer for the past forever, and had heard building yourself was hella cheaper. That may have been true in the past (I know a guy who said he built/used/sold computers every 6 months ~5 years ago) but the difference isn't really there anymore. I'm still interested in the process of building, but it's a bummer it's a really viable way of making some easy cash... unless I can fool some of the old geezers in my neighborhood.

#39 Posted by thetrusammael (23 posts) -

I bought an Asus gaming laptop two years ago. I did one of those 2 years 0% interest things with Best Buy.

Everything was fine until I started gaming on it... It kept crashing to a mutlicolored screen... No dump errors. I figured out it was the GPU overheating... It took me a month of troubleshooting off and on (had no time) and finally came across a firmware update that was BURIED in their forums. I was pretty pissed that it wasn't more readily available.

Since that update, everything has been smooth sailing.

I'm building my next rig. No doubt about it.

#40 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@Ravenlight said:

I've been interested in a gaming computer for the past forever, and had heard building yourself was hella cheaper. That may have been true in the past (I know a guy who said he built/used/sold computers every 6 months ~5 years ago) but the difference isn't really there anymore. I'm still interested in the process of building, but it's a bummer it's a really viable way of making some easy cash... unless I can fool some of the old geezers in my neighborhood.

PCs for gaming are probably the one point where building it yourself can help. The low to mid range systems are usually cheaper from a Dell just due to the cost of an operating system. But the premium for on video cards can become substantial (and supporting items like the power supply, motherboard, chassis cooling are usually not there on the standard products). The companies, when they do make the gaming PCs, probably need to charge a bit of a premium anyway though. There is probably substantially more risk in terms of obsolescence of inventory, lower product volumes, and larger amounts of customization required. And maybe nvidia does not give discounts out the way an Intel or AMD would on a generic integrated graphics PC.

I'm not sure how spending 2.1k on a PC would make sense though. Building two 1k PCs would probably lead to a average better experience (unless there is a commitment to running at the highest settings possible on a multi-monitor setup all of the time).

#41 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i had something like that with computer i ordered from gateway. they forgot the extra drive that i ordered. they sent me a new one this time working with everything.

if nothing happens then you should call up your credit card company. they will cancel the order and what not.

#42 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@Mob7645:

Cyberpower PC is the absolute worst company I've ever dealt with and yes, they are giving you the run around. They will try to outlast and put off their refund period, which is what they tried to do with me. Don't wait around. Demand a refund right now. They will then say that they have to send you a code to do so. What they will then do, is wait till the very last day of the thirty days to send it to you. This means you won't get the code in time and they'll charge you a "restocking" fee of a hundred and something dollars. You will also have to ship the PC back to them at your own expense.

So dealing with these cocksuckers cost me over 200 dollars and a lot of time when they shipped me a PC that was completely busted from the get go. They are complete scum. Get you're money back as quickly as possible.

#43 Edited by CornBREDX (4814 posts) -

That sucks, but shit happens. I don't really consider this a black mark on Cyber Power PC. Sometimes mistakes happen. 
I bought a computer from them earlier this year and it works great. I don't have any issues with it that aren't my own fault. 

Sucks you got the wrong computer, though. I hope you get all that straightened out.

#44 Posted by Fattony12000 (7053 posts) -

Roll your own.

#45 Posted by StarvingGamer (8011 posts) -

$2100 for a PC... and that was a Black Friday deal?

Whaaaaaa?

Sorry, your situation sucks, but man. What?

#46 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@thetrusammael said:

I bought an Asus gaming laptop two years ago. I did one of those 2 years 0% interest things with Best Buy.

Everything was fine until I started gaming on it... It kept crashing to a mutlicolored screen... No dump errors. I figured out it was the GPU overheating... It took me a month of troubleshooting off and on (had no time) and finally came across a firmware update that was BURIED in their forums. I was pretty pissed that it wasn't more readily available.

Since that update, everything has been smooth sailing.

I'm building my next rig. No doubt about it.

It was an Asus G73 wasn't it?

#47 Posted by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -
@StarvingGamer said:

$2100 for a PC... and that was a Black Friday deal?

Whaaaaaa?

Sorry, your situation sucks, but man. What?

This isnt a thread  about how much he payed for a computer
#48 Posted by harinosho (593 posts) -

Sorry to hear about that, had a similar issue with a Motherboard being DOA, send it back, had to wait two weeks to get a new one.

Building a machine from scratch is a time consuming process, gets harder to get that kind of time when you have family and work to deal with. Bulding stuff to me is not as fun as it used to be, granted its way easier to bulld a pachine that it was a few years ago, just the time you have to set aside to do it software and other shit are a pain in the ass, if you're getting some random error...

.Only positive is that you get what you paid for.

#49 Posted by Mob7645 (16 posts) -

I will let you guys know what happens they said they are looking into it and will contact me shortly.

#50 Posted by Phyrlord (171 posts) -

WAIT WAIT............... I thought everyone knew Cyberpower PC was a complete scam. I didn't know people actually bought computers from them. I'm not joking... I'm pretty sure everyone I know in the computer world knows Cyberpower PC is a scam. Weird, you just blew my mind. Sorry to hear about it man.

Unfortunately it has already happened, I would maybe go to a decent computer shop and get them to custom build it next time, like you said you were short on time.