#1 Posted by Tearhead (2179 posts) -

Hey, I'm thinking about pre-ordering Assassin's Creed II from Game Stop to get that exclusive map thing. What I was wondering was how the process works to pre-order a game from Game Stop. Do I have to pay the full price of the game upfront, or do I have to pay a small fee for them to hold it for me then pay the full price when I go for it? Thanks in advance for the input.

#2 Edited by C2C (855 posts) -

Its $5 minimum.  That money comes off the total price, so you still have to pay $55 after you put the $5.  You could put more money in the reservation of you want as well.    

#3 Posted by Tearhead (2179 posts) -

Hmm, doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. I mean, I will buy Assassin's Creed II regardless, so why not get the bonus map too? Do I have to pick it up from the Game Stop I pre-ordered it from, or can I go to any one?

#4 Posted by bretthancock (778 posts) -

You have to pick it up from the Gamestop that you preordered it from.

It's not a bad deal but there's a lot of controversy over exclusive pre-order items.  Gamestop makes money off of pre-orders because a surprising number of people never pick up their game.  Pre-ordering removes the annoyance of having to find a game which sometimes can be a pain. 

#5 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

Has to be from the the store you placed the reserve from (which is stupid in my opinion).  

#6 Posted by PenguinDust (12558 posts) -

I they lose your pre-order, they won't take the $5 off your purchase because they are all a bunch of dickwads...I don't pre-order from Gamestop - ever.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

You give them moneys (at least 5 moneys), and they'll give you your game at some point, maybe.

#8 Posted by Lowbrow (840 posts) -

You guys are all forgetting the part where before you walk out of the store the clerk bends you over, fucks you in the ass and promptly thanks you for your business.

#9 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -
@bretthancock said:
" You have to pick it up from the Gamestop that you preordered it from.  It's not a bad deal but there's a lot of controversy over exclusive pre-order items.  Gamestop makes money off of pre-orders because a surprising number of people never pick up their game.  Pre-ordering removes the annoyance of having to find a game which sometimes can be a pain.  "
Well, your money is still in the database. I preordered inFamous, but I never picked it up. So, I can transfer my preorder to a new game, or take the $5 and put it towards the next game I buy.
#10 Edited by Cerza (1653 posts) -

I recommend paying for the whole thing upfront if you are going to pre-order with them. GameStop has royally borked me in the past when it comes to pre-orders. I put 5 down to reserve a game and they make me pay full price on launch day. I'm supposed to get some GameStop exclusive thing that comes on a card, or whatever and I don't get. They give me only the game and when I ask for the exclusive, which is why I pre-ordered with them in the first place, they give me some bullshit answer about it already being in the game, which it isn't, or they say they don't have any more cards and in either case I get scewed. At least that has been my experience with them. 

So, my advice is pay in full when you pre-order if you are going to pre-order with them so you can just pick your game up on launch day and stay on top of them in regards to whatever exclusive gaming thing they have promised you that you want.

#11 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -
@Tearhead: Being that it is GameStop we're talking about here, you might wanna make sure that the people working at the place you wanna reserve from have their act together.  Otherwise you will get boned like the others have said.
#12 Posted by bretthancock (778 posts) -
@CowMuffins said:
" @bretthancock said:
" You have to pick it up from the Gamestop that you preordered it from.  It's not a bad deal but there's a lot of controversy over exclusive pre-order items.  Gamestop makes money off of pre-orders because a surprising number of people never pick up their game.  Pre-ordering removes the annoyance of having to find a game which sometimes can be a pain.  "
Well, your money is still in the database. I preordered inFamous, but I never picked it up. So, I can transfer my preorder to a new game, or take the $5 and put it towards the next game I buy. "
True but it's funny(sad) how Gamestop employees don't mention that sometimes.  Also make sure you specify 360 or ps3 if not they will assume and you know what that means.
#13 Posted by Tearhead (2179 posts) -
@PenguinDust: If by "loose your pr-order" you mean I may not get it the day and date, I don't really care. I would just like to get the bonus map. I mean, I'm still payin the $60 regardless, and I'm not paying extra for the exclusive content. I've never pre-ordered a game unless I get something free. If I have to wait a few days for them to restock, meh...
#14 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3707 posts) -
@C2C said:
"Has to be from the the store you placed the reserve from (which is stupid in my opinion).   "

It just wouldnt be efficient to keep a list of everyone who had preordered the game at evey gamestop and if you could pick up it any gamestop how would one gamestop know that you had picked it up at the other one? Its inconvenient but, necessary.
#15 Posted by PenguinDust (12558 posts) -
@Tearhead:  No, by "loose your order" I mean the Gamestop employee looking at you and saying, "Yes I clearly remember taking your money, but it's not in the computer, so I can't give you back the down payment or take it off the cost of purchase...sorry."  This is not an exaggeration.  This happened to me and the employee said those words, described the scene back to me in which he took my money, then shrugged and apologized for ripping me off.  I don't trust them anymore for pre-orders.
#16 Posted by Tearhead (2179 posts) -

So wait... I am not guaranteed the map if I pre-order?? Is it some kind of first come first serve thing?

#17 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -
@Tearhead said:

" So wait... I am not guaranteed the map if I pre-order?? Is it some kind of first come first serve thing? "

Yes, it is first-come, first-serve basis.

@bretthancock said:

" @CowMuffins said:

" @bretthancock said:
Well, your money is still in the database. I preordered inFamous, but I never picked it up. So, I can transfer my preorder to a new game, or take the $5 and put it towards the next game I buy. "
True but it's funny(sad) how Gamestop employees don't mention that sometimes.  Also make sure you specify 360 or ps3 if not they will assume and you know what that means. "
Canceling pre-orders shows up as a negative on employee's numbers, so it totally hurts them/us.
#18 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum: I would think that they would use some of the profit they make to have a sort of reserve database or something by now.  To be fair though, I guess it is rather rare that a person needs to pick up his reserve somewhere else though. 
#19 Posted by Tearhead (2179 posts) -
@choffy21: Sigh... well that's bullshit. I might still do it anyway...
#20 Posted by bretthancock (778 posts) -
@Tearhead said:
" @choffy21: Sigh... well that's bullshit. I might still do it anyway... "
Do it!  If it's something that you want there's no reason not to we are all just venting for the sake of it :)
#21 Posted by Tearhead (2179 posts) -
@PenguinDust: Didn't they give you a receipt?
#22 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -
@Tearhead said:
" @PenguinDust: Didn't they give you a receipt? "
Yes, they did. While he shouldn't have to worry about his money being lost, he did loose the proof he gave them the money.
#23 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

well i haven't had any problems with pre-ordering any games yet so i cant really tell you  any bad experience. but if like something over there then do it man!

#24 Posted by TheHBK (5508 posts) -

They work like this... 
You walk into the store 
try to buy something else, say a game or accessory like a cable 
guy at counter says, "hey any games you are looking forward to?" 
You respond, "oh yeah, I am waiting for Assassin's Creed 2 and Modern Warfare 2" 
The guy becomes an instant asshole..."oh yeah?  You should preorder those because when they come out there won't be any! HAHAHAHA!" 
You say, "Oh damn!  Ok ill just put it all down now. Thanks for looking out for me dude!" 
You walk out with $60 less and a weird feeling in your butthole that if you ever go to prison, you would know what it is. 

3 months later..... 

You stroll into the Gamestop. "Hey I am here to pick up my copy of Assassin's Creed 2!" 
Dude at the counter, "Oh sorry man, we ran out, all the preorders got picked up earlier" 
You look bewildered and ask "But i pre ordered mine, that would reserve me a copy" 
Dude just looks at you blankly and says, "Yeah well we only got so many, sorry now get the fuck out.  Oh by the way, you wanna preorder something else?" 
You just walk out with no game in hand...stroll by the Best Buy and notice they have lots of copies of Assassin's Creed 2 there.  But you already gave your 60 bucks.... 
There's that feeling in your butthole again.
#25 Posted by Agnogenic_delete (1034 posts) -

I've never had to pay full price for a game that I reserved. I just kept the receipt that they gave me stating the amount that was still due...

#26 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2162 posts) -

I've ordered Halo 2, Halo 3, COD 4 and had no trouble at all. So just do it but make sure you take all precautions and if they say they can't take off the $5, speak to the manager and make a huge seen. It will work.

#27 Edited by ververdan0226 (1573 posts) -

You order it before it comes out and pick it up when it comes out. How's that sound?

EDIT: I'm an asshole...

#28 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -

I pre ordered Call Of Duty: World At War from Gamestop and had no trouble picking it up.

#29 Posted by pause422 (6201 posts) -

Preordering things from Gamestop is never a good idea.

#30 Posted by dboyz692002 (46 posts) -

This is the way i see it. You go into the store, you put down 5 to 10 dollars on the game of your choice a month before it comes out. You go and pay 5-10 each month. By the time the game comes out you just go pick it up. If you keep your receipt there is virtually nothing that can go wrong. If they say that you did not pay you shove the receipt in there face. If they want to make a big deal about it you threaten to go to there manager and that's that. If that still don't work, just go postal on them.
#31 Posted by TerraK (1 posts) -

Hey guys i'm thinking of preordering the PSP silver with an exclusive birth by sleep.

does that mean i get the birth by sleep already with it...  >.>

and how would i have to preorder it? do i go upfront and pay the whole thing so that way when they actually have it i can just go and pick it up??

#32 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TerraK said:
"

Hey guys i'm thinking of preordering the PSP silver with an exclusive birth by sleep.

does that mean i get the birth by sleep already with it...  >.>

and how would i have to preorder it? do i go upfront and pay the whole thing so that way when they actually have it i can just go and pick it up??

"
You get the game with it. Also you can put down like 5 bucks. Or pay all up front. 
#33 Edited by NathHaw (2794 posts) -

Usually pre-orders on handhelds and systems are more than five dollars, but the general rules still apply.  

Probably something more like $25 or $30 for a PSP.  

#34 Posted by mxcmac12 (1 posts) -

k i need some help so im probably gone end up buying mafia 2 collector's edition the day it comes out and i want the exclusives so to pre-order the game what do i do? 

do i walk in the store ask them to keep me a copy of the game then pay my 80$. then wat do i do. show up the day the game comes out

#35 Posted by Matthew (1914 posts) -
@mxcmac12: So ya, if you're ordering from gamestop, you're gonna have to put 10$ down at minimum.  If you want to, you can pay it all off right then and there.  Show up the day/night of release, MAKE SURE TO KEEP THE RECEIPT THEY GAVE YOU WHEN YOU FIRST PUT YOUR MONEY DOWN, bring that, show it to'em, and if you have to pay some money, they can take care of it right then and there.  If you've already paid it all off, you show your receipt, you walk out with a game. 

Typically, they'll give you a call the day before the game comes out to remind you of the release date.
#36 Posted by damnboyadvance (4061 posts) -

You can also pre-order some games at Best Buy, among other stores.

#37 Posted by hedfone (1751 posts) -

dammit

#38 Posted by hanktherapper (379 posts) -

I've never had a problem with pre-ordering from Gamestop.  But then the Gamestop by me is a good one even though they some times have over enthusiastic nerds working there.

You can also pre-order from their website, but pick up the game at a specified location.

#39 Posted by wickedgame69 (74 posts) -

I'm debating on pre-ordering the CoD Black Ops just to get the car!!

#40 Edited by gabrie_25 (1 posts) -

So I pre ordered a game and its my first time doing so. People tell me the the usual release time is 12 midnight. Do I have to go at 12? Or can I go pick it up earlier. Its watchdogs which comes out may 27th I'm just not sure if its a midnight release or not.

#41 Edited by xkira1995 (1 posts) -

Well, you pay for it before release, you wait till you notice it still hasn't shipped out over a week after release date. You call customer service multiple times till you get someone that speaks english, only to hear him tell you that you might not even get it at all. That's how it worked with my Blazblue Chronophantasma limited edition. Paid $80, never received, and now if i want one i have to get it from ebay for about $150 or more.

Haven't talked about getting my money back yet but I'm giving it a lil longer b4 i call em back and ask what the bs is about.

#42 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Giant bomb policies on thread necros is garbage. This shit shouldnt happen.

#43 Posted by ch3burashka (5113 posts) -

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT PREORDER ASSASSINS CREED II

I hope he got that in time...

#44 Posted by McDayman (106 posts) -

So I pre ordered a game and its my first time doing so. People tell me the the usual release time is 12 midnight. Do I have to go at 12? Or can I go pick it up earlier. Its watchdogs which comes out may 27th I'm just not sure if its a midnight release or not.

If they told you midnight, it's likely that they're having a midnight launch, in which case they open their doors at 12am may 27th. You can also pick it up anytime after that during regular store hours on the 27th, but I'm sure they won't let you get it early on the 26th.