No Caption Provided
DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DXSSI

You have to go into the DATA folder and edit the file SELECT.DEF, using a text editor such as Notepad.  Depending on what version of MUGEN you're running, there may be an explanation within the file itself, or there may not be.  How this looks may also depend on the screenpack you're using, so it's a little bit of common sense and a little bit of trial and error to get it right—I STRONGLY recommend you backup the file before modifying it, in case you screw up.

Anyways, the format is as follows:

character name, stage name, music name, includestage, order

You need to have character name and stage name defined, the other 3 are optional parameters.  The character name is the name of the .def file in the characters folder, not necessarily the character's actual name.  For example, I have Captain Commando but his .def file is capcom.def, so I would simply type capcom.  The stage name needs to be prefixed with your stage directory, usually stages, and the full filename of the .def file of the stage, including the file extension.  For capcom, I have stages/spaceprt.def.  Note that you can also simply type "random" for the stage name, and the game will pick a random stage out every time it has you fight that character.  So at this point it should look like:

capcom, stages/spaceprt.def
-or-
capcom, random

Next define the optional parameters, if you want them.  Stages typically already have music set to play when you select them, as defined in their own .def file, but music name allows you to assign optional music to play when the stage is selected as the character's home stage.  The format is a lot like the stages; you have to type music=sound/songtitle.mid.  Just replace "sound" with the folder name the music file is in, if necessary.  Includestage is a simple toggle that allows you to prevent the game from making this character's home stage available for manual selection; it's good for boss stages and such.  Just enter includestage=0.  If you don't, it will automatically be set to 1 and the stage will be available for manual select.  Order allows you to define the order in which you fight certain characters, lower numbers first and higher numbers last.  Suppose I have six characters installed, and of them all, I want Mario to be my first opponent, Venom to be the final boss, and the other four characters to fall anywhere in between.  Then I would set Mario's order to 1, Venom's to 3, and everybody else to 2.  Here's what Captain Commando's line of code would look like with all these options enabled:

capcom, stages/spaceprt.def, music=sound/songtitle.mid, includestage=0, order=2

As I said, mostly trial and error.  If you run out of room on the character select screen, you need to find and download a new screenpack that supports more characters, which is pretty difficult since MUGEN has been dead for years now.