• 68 results
#1 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I've tried to kick the habit. I broke up with my Wii and believed I had converted myself to the mainstream of playing video games for the love of the game and nothing else.

But with the announcement of the Wii U by Nintendo, I've found myself falling back into old patterns. I want to defend something that which I would like to play. I should not care if someone calls it a crap name, crapware console, outdated the day it's released and the be all end all, my console of choice is still better today even before the Wii U comes out.

Maybe it's a forum habit thing, maybe it's too close to the unveiling and nerves are worn, but fuck, I have worked hard to stop being the fanboy, the defender, the apologist.

If I don't kick this new / old habit, my forum years are going to be full of butthurt. And my butt is old, so is there any hope? Am I just a Nintendo fanboy? How do you justify your console of choice? Do you defend it? Do you just accept that things change, consoles change, the way you control video games change and go with the flow?

Old habits are hard to break.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36110 posts) -

I don't know what to tell you. I stopped being a Nintendo fanboy when one day, in the random summer of 2008 (or whenever the hell Brawl came out), I realized how long it had been since I played my Wii. That's when I looked back on my fanboyism and determined that it was a bunch of shit. So, yea, that could work. It'd be hard as shit to implement, but it could work.

#3 Edited by Marz (5646 posts) -

How do i justify my console of choice?   um.... i buy them all and just buy the first party games i want.   Buy everything else third party on my PC if possible.  Not really an explanation... but I do tend to favor PC gaming mostly because i invested the most money in it.

#4 Posted by TheSmashing (313 posts) -

Smoke a cigarette and that insecure feeling will go away

#5 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

I love you how you are claude. Don't take our discussion about the Wii U as upsetting. I was just airing a concern, we need to have a vigorous discussion about these thigns.

#6 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5124 posts) -

When people start bad talking your console of choice they are the immature children and you should ignore them.  There is no need for you to justify your purchase anywhere.

#7 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I don't know what to tell you. I stopped being a Nintendo fanboy when one day, in the random summer of 2008 (or whenever the hell Brawl came out), I realized how long it had been since I played my Wii. That's when I looked back on my fanboyism and determined that it was a bunch of shit. So, yea, that could work. It'd be hard as shit to implement, but it could work.

That's cool and all, but I still play my Wii just not as much. I went to a couple of stores today and browsed around and saw about four games I would still like to play on the Wii. I loved that little motion box for a long time and had some very cool experiences with it. Nintendo will not fuck me up with the Wii U I believe. I just shouldn't try to justify it so much and let it happen. There again, maybe it's just a forum thing.

#8 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Wii U is going to fucking suck and you know it, Claude. Anyways, I decided to dust off my Wii to finally play a copy of Mario Galaxy 2 and I'm having a fucking blast right now.

#9 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Just realize that each console caters to different opinions, and there is no such thing as a wrong opinion. I don't find Mario or Zelda games fun, but I do understand why others can. 

#10 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@Afroman269 said:

Wii U is going to fucking rule the world and you know it, Claude. Anyways, I decided to dust off my Wii to finally play a copy of Mario Galaxy 2 and I'm having a fucking blast right now

Haha, had to fix that one.

#11 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Plenty of people are being equally as irrational cus they wanna shit on Nintendo, cus that's not where their achievements are or whatever the fuck. Seriously, people are bitching about no Gamecube support. That's the stupidest shit I've ever read. "Does your blu ray player play VHS? No? Fuck you!" These sorts of announcements bring out all types of extremes.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36110 posts) -
@Red said:
there is no such thing as a wrong opinion
But there is. If somebody only played twelve minutes of an MMORPG or some other ridiculously long game and developed an opinion of it, then such an opinion would be wrong. Same goes for developing opinions after zero playtime.
#13 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

I have very fond memories of sitting around in high school stonned, eating pizza pockets and playing Mario Kart and later on 007. Can't take those memories from me but ya, that was Nintendos high light for me in the 90's. Everything since has been fine and dandy but because of my past experience Nintendo will always have a soft spot in my heart.

#14 Posted by Dalai (7005 posts) -

I guess it's justified especially now that the Wii U is a real thing now. People do have the right to be skeptical, but people also have the right to really like what they see in the Wii U. Right now, I might attempt to buy this on launch day, but I still need some more details before then.

#15 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
@Red said:
But there is. If somebody only played twelve minutes of an MMORPG or some other ridiculously long game and developed an opinion of it, then such an opinion would be wrong. Same goes for developing opinions after zero playtime.
Um no. That opinion wouldn't be wrong. Some opinions are more informed than others, and some come from more educated people than others. They're not developing an opinion out of zero info, just very little info. That makes it less informed than others, not wrong.
#16 Posted by Sin4profit (2911 posts) -

I resolve console "fanboyisms" by playing PC games. 

Nintendo are out there trying to create reasonable exclusive experiences while the others are trying to "business" their way into obtaining exclusive content on similar machines. Nintendo's intentions are in the right place but they fall flat on their executions. Id say they're worth defending for that but also closing yourself out to any new experiences will always be a bad thing in my book. 
Either way, ya don't have to feel "butt hurt" for defending them. Just be more willing to experiment with all that is available instead of forcing yourself into one experience for the sake of pride or wherever fanboys pull that needless shallow focus from.

#17 Posted by Sin4profit (2911 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
@Red said:
If someone plays only 12 minutes of an MMO and stops it probably speaks volumes about that game...
#18 Edited by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

It's way too soon to discount the Wii U anyways, there is a lot more to show until its eventual launch. Using the lack of Gamecube support as an actual criticism against the console is fucking crazy though. Just get a damn Wii or a used Gamecube.

@Sin4profit said:

@Video_Game_King said:
@Red said:
If someone plays only 12 minutes of an MMO and stops it probably speaks volumes about that game...

Not really. I played WoW for about that same amount of time and just stopped. It's more of me realizing I don't care for MMOs at all than the actual game itself.

#19 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Take a long hard look at your life.

It worked for me.

OH GOD

#20 Posted by Evilsbane (4544 posts) -

@Claude: In order to convert to a non MS fanboy, I had to give in to my inner gamer and welcome all games with open arms, which is why I own a PS3 an Xbox 360 and a PC I spent entirely to much on, I've played everything worth playing on the Wii but I never bought one, The Wii U will be my first Nintendo Console since my N64, which I am really looking forward to, I think Nintendo is gonna really gonna Actually Use that crazy screen controller thing.

#21 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

@Sin4profit said:

I resolve console "fanboyisms" by playing PC games.

Nintendo are out there trying to create reasonable exclusive experiences while the others are trying to "business" their way into obtaining exclusive content on similar machines. Nintendo's intentions are in the right place but they fall flat on their executions. Id say they're worth defending for that but also closing yourself out to any new experiences will always be a bad thing in my book. Either way, ya don't have to feel "butt hurt" for defending them. Just be more willing to experiment with all that is available instead of forcing yourself into one experience for the sake of pride or wherever fanboys pull that needless shallow focus from.

Sums it up pretty well.

#22 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@Evilsbane said:

@Claude: In order to convert to a non MS fanboy, I had to give in to my inner gamer and welcome all games with open arms, which is why I own a PS3 an Xbox 360 and a PC I spent entirely to much on, I've played everything worth playing on the Wii but I never bought one, The Wii U will be my first Nintendo Console since my N64, which I am really looking forward to, I think Nintendo is gonna really gonna Actually Use that crazy screen controller thing.

The weird thing is I've been a heavy PC player since 2000. You don't get RTS games on consoles the way you get them on the PC. I have an Xbox 360 and play it a shit ton now that I've finally gone HD. I don't have a PS3, but I never say never. I didn't get a PS2 until two years after it launched. But Nintendo has always been good to me, but I've been pissed. No Mario Golf and F-Zero for the Wii is just wrong in my book.

#23 Posted by President_Barackbar (3440 posts) -

How do you stop? By not growing up with a Nintendo system like me. Then you become one of the enlightened ones.

#24 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Uncle Claude if you want to play your Nintendo products and nothing else, then fuck all the other shit. 

Play what you want to play (I'd still like to add you on PSN some day).

#25 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

How do you stop? By not growing up with a Nintendo system like me. Then you become one of the enlightened ones.

That would work, but I grew up with Pong and the Atari 2600. Nintendo didn't come into my life until I was 22 years old.

#26 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1096 posts) -

Simple, just realize that these companies only see you as a walking wallet.

#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (36110 posts) -
@ryanwho

To me, the level of information/experience an opinion covers is pretty much how right or wrong it is.

@Sin4profit

Again, I was just picking some random genre known for being quite long. On that note, though, I did play a bit of Runescape, once, and it sucked in the twelve minutes I played it :P.
#28 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Yeah missing out on a bunch of great games clearly turned you into a happy successful person.
#29 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Claude, you're what I like to call a reasonable Fanboy. Sure, you may get butt hurt, but you don't bitch and rage on the forums.

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36110 posts) -
@ryanwho said:

Yeah missing out on a bunch of great games clearly turned you into a happy successful person.
Yea, fuck the person who didn't grow up with Mario Kart 64. They are clearly empty husks of people just hiding the pain that so clearly afflicts them.
#31 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@Bucketdeth said:

Uncle Claude if you want to play your Nintendo products and nothing else, then fuck all the other shit. Play what you want to play (I'd still like to add you on PSN some day).

My wife has asked me if I wanted a PS3, but I always say, "Honey, I can't afford the games I want to play on the machines I own." She says, "Oh yeah, that's right." Bless her heart.

I thought I would have a PS3 by now. I owned all the last generation consoles. My how times have changed.

There again, my wife no longer says are you going to play your Nintendo, everything now is the Wii. Bless her heart.

#32 Posted by President_Barackbar (3440 posts) -

@ryanwho: @Video_Game_King: I was just joking...The only thing not growing up with Nintendo has really led me to is the ability to be more critical of them, and that's not really such a big thing.

#33 Posted by evilhomer (429 posts) -

Mother 3 not being released stateside worked for me.

#34 Posted by Video_Game_King (36110 posts) -
@President_Barackbar

That still doesn't change the fact that you grew up without knowing the joy of launching some dick off their block fort in the battle mode.
#35 Posted by Hunkulese (2657 posts) -

@Claude: I don't know why you would pick now to stop loving Nintendo. I think most people's problems with the Wii come from their unrealistic expectations about what the Wii was. Even before its release Nintendo made it clear it wasn't a console that would target hardcore games and it was a little to wacky for third part developers to fully invest in. The Wii U looks great. You'll get to play a lot of the AAA games that are going to come out in the next 5 years and Nintendo always has amazing first party software. I'm hoping it is reasonably priced when it is released and it should be the premiere console for at least 2 years and will probably keep me happy for another 2 before MS and Sony's next console sees a price drop.

#36 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Kinda in the same boat, I don't limit myself to Nintendo but they will always be the kings, they have done some amazing stuff.

I'm fine with reasonable arguments, but I hate unreasonable arrogance.

#37 Posted by auspiciousqueue (1298 posts) -

We could hold an intervention for you. 

You will essentially go through the stages of grief. It will all become clearer.

#38 Posted by Brendan (7696 posts) -

Why would you care either way? Just play games you enjoy, and don't make assumptions until you have sufficient evidence to support your opinion. That second part was mostly toward all the people who crucified the Wii U in the middle of the freaking press conference.

#39 Posted by mcwingstar (76 posts) -

@SmashingTimes said:

Smoke a cigarette and that insecure feeling will go away

Solution to all life's problems. Except lung cancer.

#40 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

@DrDarkStryfe said:

I dunno, I don't think you can say that about (some) developers.

Like, for example, I'm an Obsidian fanboy...

#41 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1096 posts) -

@Laketown: And I am a huge fan of BioWare and Bethesda, but I know for damn sure that they see me, an early adopter that rarely says no to DLC they offer, as nothing more than that. Sure, they will be nice to the market by being proactive with it, but in the end, if they cared about me as a person they would just give me Mass Effect 3 for free.

#42 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@Hunkulese: Don't get me wrong, I'm just talking about defending what I think will be a quality product for me on the forums. Believe me, I will buy the Wii U the day it's launched much like I did for the Wii. Innovation, immersion, and fun come to mind when I buy a Nintendo product of my choice.

#43 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1639 posts) -

I think you can't kick the habit. It's ingrained into you because you're an old fart (sort of like a senile old American man who hates blacks). After years of being beaten down by life, nostalgia and Mario/Zelda rehashes are your only escape and there's nothing wrong with that.

#44 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

After the Wii came out I just couldn't love Nintendo anymore. The gamecube tested my beliefs but once in awhile they made sure a game came out and pulled me back in.

#45 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -

One day the question was asked to me: "Why do you played games?"
My guttural response was because, "I like games." 
I could go on in ridiculous detail over the exact specifics, but at the end of the day that response pretty much encapsulated my appreciation. The next question that was asked was, "Why does a platform have to dictate that enjoyment?"

I have yet to find a suitable answer to that. Sure, I can bring up in nauseating detail over how much I enjoy achievements over trophies, or how games plays better on certain platforms, but I don't find these concepts applicable for an answer as equally sufficient to the simple fact that I enjoy games. As a multi-console owner, I just buy games on certain platforms that I feel are the best experience on said platform. I have L.A. Noire and Final Fantasy XIII on PS3 because I read about them before purchasing, and they apparently function better on that platform. Same reasoning to why I've bought multiple games on the 360, versus PS3. 
For the Wii I've played a bunch of Nintendo exclusives. The only reasoning why I may perhaps "look down" on the platform is simply that it pales in comparison to how much I'm playing on different systems right now. That's it. The only people I personally feel that need to be "apologetic", or a "fanboy" for trivial things is Nintendo themselves, they're the company: Not me.

Instead I'm a fanboy for actual games, franchises and developers. The same reasoning why I'm a fan of Marvel movies, but have no opinion regarding only watching movies from Paramount. I like Dead Space, but I'll pick up another game from another franchise that's not from EA. 
To be fair, I haven't talked about the big elephant in the room, (Not everyone can afford all platforms) but this idea that I need to defend a platform based on who they are, versus what they do, is something that died in me a long time ago. The concept that I should look down on other platforms, because they aren't so-and-so is weird to me. Unless the Wii-U is some dramatic step backwards, the only final judgment I'm gonna have on that thing is regarding what I'm playing on it.

See the light Claude! Go with the flow, and play the games for what they are brother!

#46 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I'm excited for the Wii U.

I'm an optimist.

#47 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@Laketown said:

@DrDarkStryfe said:

I dunno, I don't think you can say that about (some) developers.

Like, for example, I'm an Obsidian fanboy...

That's a hard justify on the forums. My heart goes out to you.

#48 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

to stop, you need to stop playing nintendo games. i stopped when i played my gamecube. i noticed i wasn't playing it compared to playing nintendo 64. go buy a new console to play that also. you will enjoy it.

to make an apology you should make a new thread with a photoshopped image of you and say sorry :)

#49 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

First step is to admit you have a problem.

#50 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@HitmanAgent47 said:

First step is to admit you have a problem.

How much do love PC gaming and its ventures in freedom and laugh at console fanboys Hitman? With the PC, you see the future of graphics everyday.