How do you expect the next gen will compare to this one?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Do you think you'll have more fun in the next generation than in this one? Will it be better? Why?

Share your predictions!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Karl_Boss

More of the same.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dungbootle

It's gonna be the bomb diggity

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hope so. At this point just getting new consoles and tech is fun in itself for me. It's been so long since this generation started that I feel really starved of this kind of anticipation and wonder. For the games themselves, I'm not very picky when it comes to genres I love. As long as some solid rpgs and strategy games get released in the coming years I'll be very happy.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By TheHT

I expect shit to work better and the timed exclusives and exclusive DLC crap to be worse. And the games themselves to continue on quality wise from the current gen, rather than start over with launch tier and steadily getting more refined.

I also expect more decent PC ports. Well, maybe that's just a hope rather than an expectation.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they continue with this triple AAA generic bull shit nonsense, I doubt very well.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Games will look better and be bigger.

That's good enough for me.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The tech will be much better, but business models will get progressively worse in response to game development getting more costly. I fully expect microtransactions in every EA and Activision game next generation, and wouldn't be surprised to see some of the bigger publishers try to roll out extra subscription fees related to their games (making COD Elite mandatory for instance). It's going to be a very desperate attempt to wring money out of the consumer at every turn, which will probably lead to even lower sales and the collapse of a lot more developers and publishers.

ReCkLeSs_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

Social media! Micro-transactions! Insert buzz word here!

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chrissedoff

I think the industry will contract, coinciding with rising game development costs. I predict that will result in a whole lot of pay-to-win, DLC-that-should-have-been-in-the-main-game, subscriptions, punishing people for buying used games and reliance on a ever-decreasing number of blockbuster franchises, like a lot of people before me have said.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

More of the same with more gimmicks!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm confident I will have less fun.

But that's more about me than it is about the "state of the industry".

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#13  Edited By Kidavenger

Games will look and play the same.

Less people will get into games.

Nintendo will release their next console early (3-4 years from now), it will be a hybrid portable/home console, i.e. you will be able to plug it into a tv and it will connect to regular controllers wirelessly and be a fully functional home console.

The next gen will be the last for a games focused Microsoft console, they will move towards a streaming box/indie game device similar to the Ouya.

Sony will "win" an extremely lame duck generation.

EA will sell the "EA Sports" brand in a desperate move, the rest of EA will fall apart soon after; EA Sports will be the better for it though.

Blizzard's next MMO "Titan" will be their first flop, cannibalize their WoW subscriber base and will signal the end of MMOs popularity.

Dragon Age 3 will be inexplicably awesome.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The one thing that I hope the next generation manages to do is figure out money. This is already kinda happening, but I wish budgets were more varied than "the cost of a sandwich" and "all the money in the world."

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games will look and play the same.

Less people will get into games.

Nintendo will release their next console early (3-4 years from now), it will be a hybrid portable/home console, i.e. you will be able to plug it into a tv and it will connect to regular controllers wirelessly and be a fully functional home console.

The next gen will be the last for a games focused Microsoft console, they will move towards a streaming box/indie game device similar to the Ouya.

Sony will "win" an extremely lame duck generation.

EA will sell the "EA Sports" brand in a desperate move, the rest of EA will fall apart soon after; EA Sports will be the better for it though.

Blizzard's next MMO "Titan" will be their first flop, cannibalize their WoW subscriber base and will signal the end of MMOs popularity.

Dragon Age 3 will be inexplicably awesome.

This is almost exactly the opposite of what will happen.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I want to see with all this new power to play with what the big developers like Naughty Dog, Bethesda Softworks, Epic, Bioware, id Software, Kojima Productions and also Rockstar will make with it. I love great single player experiences and I'm hoping the next generation will provide me with higher quality living breathing worlds with advance A.I. and physics.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Better hopefully.

I figure they probably have a strong understanding of how anything online related should work by now and be able to offer something that is good and not just functional but still a pain to use in many cases.

Also the hardware is likely to be very similar between the two consoles which means higher quality across the board for multiplatform games. No more "we couldn't be bothered to make our game work right on this exoctic hardware that the dumbass who made the console thought was a good idea in the first place".

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Video games will come out and I'll probably continue to play them or something, I dunno.

rentacop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rentacop
@haffy said:

If they continue with this triple AAA generic bull shit nonsense, I doubt very well.

Agreed. Most games now are completely forgettable even if there's nothing wrong with the individual game itself. We're at the point that a well made game just doesn't cut it when there are plenty of other high quality, yet similar games coming out yearly.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More open levels .... please do them :(

no more Call of dutyfication

Or just the same stuff but prettier (not by much tho)

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More expensive.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DaMisterChief

The Death of gaming as we know it

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Death of gaming as we know it

yep, what i was thinking.

companies are going to try micro transaction things. news is EA is going to be doing that with their games. companies are going to try to follow that also. hopefully people won't do that so companies will stop.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By sins_of_mosin

It won't be the big leap as before. It will just be that everything will be a bit better in visuals, scope, ect. For example instead of 25 npc's on screen, there will be 50-100.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I see the triple A business getting even more slimy and the game stagnate more. Meanwhile the indie scene grows and grows.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Better graphics, more social experiences, more bullshit from big companies while smaller companies continue to die.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mellotronrules

meh- it'll be fine. the more toxic and vapid the environment gets, the more that will drive indies and small teams to produce games that stand in direct opposition to those. the money and budgets might go away, but there's very few huge-budget games that excite me anyway. the games i'm currently most anticipating are The Banner Saga and Star Citizen. both of which aren't tiny, but also come from a new generation of game development (in terms of how the investment money was raised, how they're releasing, etc).

edit: i'm realizing now i'm presenting a fairly pc-centric view...i actually have no idea how the consoles will shake out. they very much have to prove the worth of their existence in a way that they haven't for awhile...pc gaming might not get any bigger, but i think it'll continue to be a haven for indies.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By toowalrus

I've got a gaming PC now, so when I inevitably buy the new consoles too, I'll finally have the best of both worlds.

Caustic_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

For one thing, the console wars will start over (... again). Also, there will be no excuse to not release games on multi-platform now that all systems will be running on x-86. With that said, the glorious PC master race will receive less shitty console ports this time around.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's going to be the same. The only difference can be the layout of the consoles and the controllers.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just really hope that developers will use the new hardware to make some meaningful innovations, and take some chances on new IPs and game play ideas rather than just making GENERIC FPS #227 prettier and more populous.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Winternet

It will look better and hopefully have better games.