How Do You Feel About Free On Disc DLC?

Odie_Esty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So me and a friend were talking about DLC today and what's too far and what's acceptable and yadda yadda you all know the conversation. What I want to know is, how do you feel about free on disc DLC? Like, DLC locked away on disc that is later released for free for everyone. It's not really a common occurrence so it's not really talked about, and I'm curious about how people feel about it.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If it's free and it's on the disc is it really on disk DLC? The only thing I can even think of that was even remotely like that was the Vault of Glass not going live for Destiny until the game had been out for a week.

Other than very specific circumstances such as that where it's on online game and it was being used as an in-game event, I can't even imagine any developer doing what you're speaking of, there wouldn't really be any point.

As far being upset by this potential occurrence, I can't really see any reason to be. If a developer decided to hold off content on the disc to be released later for free I would have to think there would be some design or player experience reason. Regardless, the answer is no I would not be upset.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I'm fine with it, but there are people who don't hook their consoles up to the Internet and they get really screwed if there's free material on the disc that they never get to access.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That sounds totally pointless.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By musubi

I'm fine with the concept of on-disc DLC in general. I don't ever understand why people get so pissy about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally okay with it.

As long the creators don't make a massive deal out of it being the best thing in the game and it doesn't take forever to come out.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

If it's free, who cares?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

As long as it's free I don't really care. It's when they try to charge money for on disc dlc that irks me.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So you're talking about Disc-Loaded Content?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#10  Edited By StarvingGamer

I'm fine with the concept of on-disc DLC in general. I don't ever understand why people get so pissy about it.

I agree, but I find it comes down to emotional vs. critical thinking. If you don't consider all the factors then on-disc DLC "feels" wrong. Not saying all on-disc DLC is great, there's shitty DLC of all stripes, but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with paid DLC that already exists on the disc.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd rather not have DLC altogether. At least, not important, story-related DLC, items, level cap increases, or anything that penalizes people who either can't afford it, or outside a region lock. Cosmetics are fine, though. I almost never like 100% of the cosmetic DLC for any game.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@milkman said:

If it's free, who cares?

ditto

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

happy with it, if it needs a little more work so iot isnt buggy as hell then hold it back

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

If it's on the disc, and is going to be free anyway, then it seems kinda silly to keep it locked until some arbitrary date. I totally get the paid on-disc DLC thing, but free on-disc DLC? That's just silly.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Isn't that basically like a free patch, then? I don't see that being a problem.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By kagato

I guess i don't, especially if the reason is because they had most of an area done but its not quite ready so they sealed it off, finished it up, pushed a patch to complete it and then gave everyone it for nothing.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think it's a lazy way to keep people talking about your game and not trading it in. Make a feature rich game people want to play for a long time first. And then shower them with DLC. It worked for Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the content is in a completed, playable state and it's on the disc, I shouldn't have to pay more to unlock it.

If it's free DLC and it's on the disc, what's the point of it being locked until some later date (apart from a marketing/advertising standpoint)?

I feel that the release of DLC is justified only when it's something substantial that doesn't begin to be produced (at least beyond a conceptual stage) until after the base game has been released.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

As long as it's free and the product itself, minus the content in question, can stand up on it's own without having felt stripped down on launch, then I'm fine with it. But on the flip side, if it's going to be free then why lock it up in the first place? To create an illusion of post launch support? That'd come across as disingenuous to me.