• 145 results
#1 Posted by DriveupLife (919 posts) -

I was watching the show today and during the early segment where Jeff and Ryan were discussing the new membership plan, Jeff mentioned that W.M. wanted to go into business with users so that we can offer suggestions to them on how to spend the money that's coming in. Now, of course they're only ideas but how do you feel the sites can be improved with the much needed seed capital that has rolled in today and throughout the next few weeks? New Staff members? More cables? Share your thoughts.

#2 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

By giving it to the site that made the majority of it for them

#3 Posted by drgrumbles (213 posts) -

Two words:  Endurance Run.

#4 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1642 posts) -

They need to buy harder booze to get Will and Rorie drunk.

#5 Posted by Blair (2531 posts) -

However they want.

#6 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I know how they will spend it, it would be to pay for the new building they are at now. We are just footing the bill for them, I mean you are. Nothing past what they have established now will be improved, no more staff, not much more news, you will get what they advertised.

#7 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

It's all going to the CEO's what do you expect. Wait... this isn't an Activision thread? Crap.

#8 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Money to support the IRA
#9 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

by staying in business....the amount of material they post and maintain is ridiculous...and it only expands every day

#10 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

I know how they will spend it, it would be to pay for the new building they are at now. We are just footing the bill for them, I mean you are. Nothing past what they have established now will be improved, no more staff, not much more news, you will get what they advertised.

"
Except I'm getting a Friday live show.  

And I think they should and will spend it on producing more video content/live content in general.
#11 Posted by Psychoanteater (11 posts) -

As long as they keep on pumping out great content like the currently do, the could for all i care use the money to find a way to make a fucking unicorn walk the earth
#12 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: I said nothing more than what they advertised now, that includes whatever show they are showing on friday. As a way to say, well we aren't ripping you off that much, you get to at least look at us do stuff.
#13 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Not on giving the community the podcast as it was meant to be, that's for sure. Probably just rent and other bills, hopefully something that benefits all members too.

#14 Posted by Zinc (200 posts) -

Lots of alcohol.

#15 Posted by Lies (3868 posts) -

They should probably use it to stay in business.

#16 Posted by dubs (43 posts) -

Some crazy antics during Friday live show, i.e. a dancing bear, laser light shows, etc. Maybe just an epic endurance run of a community voted game where they must drink a community voted drink during each episode.

#17 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -
@Zinc said:
" Lots of alcohol. "
WTF I was about to say that and was like screw it I'm not going to read the comments and just post it but I saw your post out of the corner of my eye >< - also well played sir 

I was going to add - they might as well waste it on booze since it's not my money they are wasting.
#18 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @LordXavierBritish: I said nothing more than what they advertised now, that includes whatever show they are showing on friday. As a way to say, well we aren't ripping you off that much, you get to at least look at us do stuff. "
Your extreme pessimism is trumped only by your infallible ignorance. 

If Whiskey has been dedicated to anything, it is constantly supplying its members with new content. 

Even if I, as a subscriber, do not get anything new that is exclusive to me I will be happy when Whiskey, and I do mean when, uses the money to continue improving upon the amount of content it supplies within its media family. 

And for the record they've said that the new building is cheaper than the pervious set-up. I don't think that is what they need the money for.
#19 Posted by Hector (3379 posts) -
@drgrumbles said:
" Two words:  Endurance Run. "
Hell yeah!!!
#20 Posted by Mesklinite (816 posts) -

Live shows, though not as long as today, but having a 30 minute to 1 hour live show of whiskey websites would be cool.
#21 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: the timing is impecable, we only started to see this announcement right after they moved. Also enjoy your trinkets. I don't think there will be more news or more staff or anything like that. You all been had, they are swimming in a pile of $50 bills.
#22 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i think they should make a live feed of their lives lol. i would totally watch jeff sleep *fap* * fap* 

i want to see some new videos. TANG, endurance run, those things haven't bee new for a while.

#23 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:  Why would they move to a cheaper building if they only wanted to use user money to pay it off? 

Why not get a fancy, more expensive building?
#24 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: You belive everything you see or hear. I don't, their new building is really huge, looks almost 100X bigger, i'm sure it's not cheap to rent or buy.
#25 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: They had several buildings before. 

As in more than one. 

You are just paranoid about everything aren't you?
#26 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

getting rorie and will drunk and filming it

#27 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: I can see patterns, from the time they tell others not to use adblockers. To the time they moved and started this whole subscription idea at the same time, then they physically moved to a really big location and you go on with your lives, ignoring the signs all around you. And then, one day, when the air is still and the night has fallen, they come for you with subscriptions.  

Look if you subscribe to that theory, then good for you, if I want podcast or live feed, i'll just go to watch gametrailers if I need HD videos or industry related interviews or content, which you are paying for here. If I want that t-shirt, I can probally make one myself, if I cared to, which I don't. I don't think the money is going towards any new content or new staff. Time will tell, also I am not here to change your mind, I am here to speak my mind and replying to you is a way to do that, then whatever.
#28 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: I've never seen you follow a pattern or really any line of logic at all. 

Yeah, it's a bidness. They need to make money. 

They used to only make money through ads, and they'd appreciate it if you didn't ignore their only line of revenue. 

They are expanding and need money, so they are basically asking for donations with perks. 

I'm not paying for new content. I'm giving them my money so that they have the opportunity to produce new content. They have always strived to put out as much new shit as possible, and if they need some extra funds to continue doing bigger and better things then I'm completely okay with that. Hell, I would have given them $50 if they were just giving out T-Shirts as a consolation. Giantbomb in particular is pretty much the only large safe haven left for real game's journalism left and they did that by setting out to make a site that wasn't tied down by PR bullshit and company policies. 

There is absolutely no rational behind the notion that Whiskey is using this as an opportunity to pay off debts.

There are no signs, they aren't ripping me off because they fucked up and ended up with a building they couldn't afford. There is no evidence of that at all and you are just cooking up a new conspiracy theory because that's all you do. 

And I'm not here to change your mind, I'm just here to prove you wrong because it makes me feel fuzzy inside.
#29 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: your right, they should get paid for their work, however we don't know if we are getting anymore new content, more articles or anything else besides what was advertised now. There is no guaranty your money will support newer content. Maybe this is their new content, a new show and a t-shirt. That's as much content as they can put out because that's all they have to offer. Is there any new content announced? if not, then I hope you get your money's worth, reselling you stuff you can get elsewhere, like HD videos. Unfortunetly going independent is difficult, most companies can't do it, however how do you know your going to get even more content for your money? Maybe it's at it's limit right now to what they can produce. They aren't going to disclose the info about if they are renting, buying or using a mortgage on the place, however it doesn't mean we can't speculate why all of a sudden there is a need for revenue at such a timing. Nothing wrong with pattern reconition, I hope you get your money's worth. 

I don't blame them, they should of done this years ago, however $50 for this, is asking alot for trinkets and I don't think they are going to produce any newer content when what they already advertised now with the money. However where will the money go? Well, that's a good question, I provided possible answers based on patterns, none of us knows for sure, however ppl are allowed to speculate.
#30 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: You didn't follow any patterns. You made assumptions based upon a single video in which they toured a decent portion of the building. You don't have any facts at all to prove your theories, though that isn't really out of the norm for you is it? 

Let's look at the real facts:

1. Whiskey has shown a habit of always working on new content. That's why they have such a large engineering team. 

2. In the last year alone Whiskey has introduced Quests, two entire damn sites, and shit ton more. 

3. Even now there is talk amongst the various Whiskey staff as to how the money will be spent, none of it involving paying off the building. Maybe if you took the time to look shit up instead of assuming and "following patterns" you would know this.
#31 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: I like to add one more thing that supports my theory. Of course I can only speculate, the newest tweet said if they can raise 5000 subscribers, let's say on the best case scenario, that's $50 per person. It might give you an idea of exactly how much money they need to raise.  

What is that amount? $200,000 to $250,000. It obviously don't cost that much to produce new content, so what might cost that much? Perhaps the other half of a mortgage? They need about that much, what else can it be? Adds are enough to pay for everyone working there it seems, however what can it be? 

Tested brings alot of new content to the site. The quest system, after that guy finished implemented the quest system, they fired him. Like I said, you didn't really explain where $250,000 will go.  

Also what new content? A new show? at least tested puts out constantly new content. I don't remember getting a ton of reviews lately or alot of new content, except from brad nicolson with his articles.
#32 Posted by Nonentity (239 posts) -

I want another block party. I am so mad that I had to work during this block party and couldn't possibly take the time off. 

I WILL MAKE IT TO BLOCK PARTY TWO.

#33 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Strippers and Katanas

#34 Edited by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:  Where are the youtube videos that prove all of this?
#35 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" Strippers and Katanas "
Hey, katanas ain't cheap.
#36 Posted by lordofultima (6285 posts) -

I believe we are actually in a position to demand endurance runs now, so lets get on that subscribers!

#37 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@DrPockets000 said:
" @HitmanAgent47:  Where are the youtube videos that prove all of this? "
Lmao, I would follow you if I wasn't following you already. I guess I'm saying that you deserve a double-follow.
#38 Posted by supermike6 (3645 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @LordXavierBritish: I like to add one more thing that supports my theory. Of course I can only speculate, the newest tweet said if they can raise 5000 subscribers, let's say on the best case scenario, that's $50 per person. It might give you an idea of exactly how much money they need to raise.   What is that amount? $200,000 to $250,000. It obviously don't cost that much to produce new content, so what might cost that much? Perhaps the other half of a mortgage? They need about that much, what else can it be? Adds are enough to pay for everyone working there it seems, however what can it be?  Tested brings alot of new content to the site. The quest system, after that guy finished implemented the quest system, they fired him. Like I said, you didn't really explain where $250,000 will go.   Also what new content? A new show? at least tested puts out constantly new content. I don't remember getting a ton of reviews lately or alot of new content, except from brad nicolson. "
Y'know, they all have salaries as well. They can't live off venture capital forever.
#39 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: Except they don't need that much. 

Because they aren't requiring people to pay.  

They are saying that they won't monetize the Bombcast if they get that much. I would assume that if they reached that amount they wouldn't suffer from whatever kind of detriment the Bombcast causes on a weekly basis to office productivity. 

Or you can just assume that they are liars, but that would be a rash and ignorant conclusion to make. 

And if a majority the subscriptions are $5, as I'm sure most people who are creating a subscription service would assume that customers would like to try out a service for a month before committing to it, it would come out at its lowest to about $25,000. You don't pay off a building with $25,000, or even $50,000. 

See, I can do math too. 

Oh yeah, and ads don't make that much money. Ads keep them not jobless. You'd know that too if you bothered to do any research.
#40 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @DrPockets000 said:
Lmao, I would follow you if I wasn't following you already. I guess I'm saying that you deserve a double-follow.  
Why, thank you kind sir.
#41 Edited by lordofultima (6285 posts) -

Yeah, you guys know that Whiskey Media sites are funded a lot off of investments, and the people investing in their websites want to see something profitable come out of those websites, seeing as they put their money and trust behind them. It's almost just an honor system, something you don't see a lot on video game website subscriptions -- they're being as transparent as possible. They know a lot of people are just subscribing because they love Giant Bomb and want to support in whatever way they can. And that's totally fine. The podcast catch is just an incentive, a pretty valuable one from what I can tell.

#42 Posted by Minos (157 posts) -

More video content, worth the 50 a month... and my t shirt with Ryan barfing !! I'm paying for their freedom to write what ever the fuck they want about any fucking game... i'm paying to get the best game journalism there is right now. maybe in a few years this will turn into a corporate monster but for now i want to keep the site honest and real.

#43 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -
@Axxol said:

" @DrPockets000 said:

Why, thank you kind sir.
#44 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@DrPockets000: I don't need youtube videos, look at their twitter, one of them said if they can raise 5000 subscribers, then the bombcast is going to be free. Also I can cross reference the times of all these annoucements to show a pattern. They need $250,000.  

I say ppl who subscribed should make demands, like more strippers or more pc gaming coverage.
#45 Posted by lordofultima (6285 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: Actually, I'm sure a large portion of the current subscribers are on a month-to-month basis, so that's a lot of $5 dollar investments, with some $50 dollar investments from the hardcore that also get a t-shirt printed out and shipped to their house.
#46 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: No. 

No you can't do shit. 

You can't prove shit.
#47 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@DrPockets000:

#48 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@lordofultima: I see a ton of gold names. Also I never made a t-shirt before, i'm sure it's not that expensive. Of course you have shipping to consider I suppose, you at least get a shirt for $5, that's not a terrible deal for a month I guess.
#49 Edited by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:

" @DrPockets000: I don't need youtube videos, look at their twitter, one of them said if they can raise 5000 subscribers, then the bombcast is going to be free. Also I can cross reference the times of all these annoucements to show a pattern. They need $250,000.   I say ppl who subscribed should make demands, like more strippers or more pc gaming coverage. "

That's just your opinion that's wrong unless you prove me wrong with facts.   (taken from your profile bro)

I will counter cross-reference you by pointing out that the subscriptions support all of Whiskey, not just Giant Bomb.  They had been talking about this subscription since before the move, and now they are all housed in one significantly cheaper building as opposed to several which together were getting too expensive.  I have proof for that too.  5 buildings cost more than one.  It's economics!
#50 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @lordofultima: I see a ton of gold names. Also I never made a t-shirt before, i'm sure it's not that expensive. Of course you have shipping to consider I suppose, you at least get a shirt for $5, that's not a terrible deal for a month I guess. "
Wow, you sure have done your research.