#1 Posted by MattSchwabby (117 posts) -

My little brother and I have always wanted to go to E3 so I want to take him either this year or next. I noticed that passes for the entire event cost $500. I am hoping some people on this forum will be able to give me advice on this subject.

Is E3 an invite-only event? Or are attendants admitted based on application?

I am about to start a job at Microsoft so would I be able to use that as leverage to gain admission? I start full-time soon so affording the passes won't be a problem.

Let me know how I can go about this.
#2 Posted by Beaudacious (926 posts) -

E3 is no longer open to the public i believe, press and people with stuff to push that is all.

#3 Edited by LeetBalla (696 posts) -

I can't tell you how I know this, but I can tell you how to get in.

First, walk to the end of the road and wait under the tree off the the left. You're looking for a man that goes by the name "Wandego". When the crow caws 3 times, he will reveal himself to you. He will ask an abstract question along the lines of "When the time comes, how many will you have?" Just say, "Over 9000" and then you'll black out. 

You will wake up in a dark room with Wandego standing over you. Say "where my heart is, the end will be", and only then will he reveal to you the way in. Now to leave, you must agree to transport 3 Mexicans over the Czechoslovakian border. After doing so, you will black out again and wake up at E3.
#4 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

You have to have a job related to the game industry in some way or another. It's a lot easier to attend than it was around 2007, but I'm not sure if just working for Microsoft would get you in. I recommend reading this and contacting E3 management if your question hasn't already been answered. Hope you get in!

#5 Posted by MattSchwabby (117 posts) -
@LeetBalla gets the reward for best forum response ever
#6 Posted by MattSchwabby (117 posts) -
@Fullmetal216: thanks for that link, that helped a lot. After some more digging I found that if you work for an even remotely entertainment-affiliated company you can gain access. Your info is a huge help!
#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@MattSchwabby said:
" @Fullmetal216: thanks for that link, that helped a lot. After some more digging I found that if you work for an even remotely entertainment-affiliated company you can gain access. Your info is a huge help! "
Im pretty sure they also screen all this stuff. So it might not be as easy as you think. 
#8 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -
@MattSchwabby: Glad to be of service!
#9 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

You don't get into E3, E3 gets into you

#10 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

You have to know the right people.

#11 Posted by kaos_cracker (568 posts) -
@LeetBalla:that worked for me last year man, this guy is legit. haha. that was great
#12 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

You have to catch a fucking leprechaun at the end of the rainbow, your choices, tickets to E3 or Angelina Jolee (cause the leprechaun is her pimp) 

#13 Posted by august (3827 posts) -
#14 Posted by lordbazuco (378 posts) -
@MattSchwabby said:
" @LeetBalla gets the reward for best forum response ever "
hilarious dude. lol
@august: lolololololol
#15 Posted by Marino (4598 posts) -

@MattSchwabby:Speaking as someone who's been ten times starting in 1997, it is not open to the public and never has been. Ever. I'm not sure where the idea of it being open ever began, but I have to tell people this all the time. It was easier to get in in the past, but it was never just open to anyone. E3 is at its core a business event. A trade show.

So unless you can provide documentation (a W-2 tax form, pay check stub, etc) that you work within the industry in some way (media and retail counts), you're not getting in. The only other path, which is the path that I got in with for the first few years, is to know someone who is able to get you a pass. I knew a producer at Sony who was able to get me one of Sony's "VIP" passes. There wasn't anything really VIP about it other than it waived the registration fees.

Staff
#16 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -
@MattSchwabby:  If you can't get in, there's always PAX, which is also significantly less expensive to get into.
#17 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

The door.

#18 Posted by Ocean_H (290 posts) -
@Yanngc33 said:

" You don't get into E3, E3 gets into you "

#19 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@august:
Oh shthat mght be better than balla haha
#20 Posted by rectum_abominae (158 posts) -
@MattSchwabby: Stop being a loser and go get a loan.
#21 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -
@Beaudacious:fucking sucks
#23 Posted by Marino (4598 posts) -
@MattSchwabby: Probably. But you should've already registered by now, honestly. Your job status would not get your brother in with you though.
Staff
#24 Edited by WooddieBone (1 posts) -

LeetBalla is telling the truth. I did this last year and i was in in no time.

The leaving part is a lie though. Czechoslovakia doesn't exist anymore so they just let you leave wit the rest of the people.

#25 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4594 posts) -

I can't tell you how I know this, but I can tell you how to get in.

First, walk to the end of the road and wait under the tree off the the left. You're looking for a man that goes by the name "Wandego". When the crow caws 3 times, he will reveal himself to you. He will ask an abstract question along the lines of "When the time comes, how many will you have?" Just say, "Over 9000" and then you'll black out.

You will wake up in a dark room with Wandego standing over you. Say "where my heart is, the end will be", and only then will he reveal to you the way in. Now to leave, you must agree to transport 3 Mexicans over the Czechoslovakian border. After doing so, you will black out again and wake up at E3.

#27 Posted by NeVeRMoRe666 (268 posts) -

How old is your brother? A quick glance through at the registration requirements unearthed this:

"Individuals under the age of 17 including infants will not be admitted to E3 2013."

Also, it sounds like your brother must also be an industry insider as well.

#28 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

How old is your brother? A quick glance through at the registration requirements unearthed this:

"Individuals under the age of 17 including infants will not be admitted to E3 2013."

Also, it sounds like your brother must also be an industry insider as well.

Just letting you know that the topic is 2 years old, that stupid spam-bot up there bumped it. :(

#29 Edited by BisonHero (6172 posts) -

@nekusakuraba: Actually, WooddieBone up there was the one who bumped it. He even made an account to do it.

Then oldirtybearon posted that Steve Martin video, THEN a spambot entered the fray because this thread was on the front page of the forums.

#30 Edited by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

Know the right people (or blow the right people).

#31 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@nekusakuraba: Actually, WooddieBone up there was the one who bumped it. He even made an account to do it.

Then oldirtybearon posted that Steve Martin video, THEN a spambot entered the fray because this thread was on the front page of the forums.

Woops, sorry, I just assumed it was the spam-bot without reading the time stamps. D:

#33 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

By making your way through the other six levels of hell.

#34 Posted by Bollard (5254 posts) -

Loving all these brand new accounts bumping ancient threads.

Also was reading the guidelines for this year and it seems to have been written by a crazy person...

1. You can only get in if you are from the industry.
2. If you are from the industry it is free until 29/04.
3. After that date it is $995.

However, if you apply before that date, and don't meet the requirements for a free industry pass, you can buy a ticket for $795... But if you don't meet the industry requirements, you aren't allowed in. So who the hell is the $795 pass for?!

#35 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

sexual favors

#36 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

Say you're American McGee. No one really remembers how he looks like anymore.

#37 Edited by NeVeRMoRe666 (268 posts) -

@nekusakuraba: Aaaaah Curse the stupid spam-bot! Since it's been two years, now I'm curious as to whether or not he somehow got in!

#38 Posted by DeathTrap (232 posts) -

@nekusakuraba: Aaaaah Curse the stupid spam-bot! Since it's been two years, now I'm curious as to whether or not he somehow got in!

haha...Yeah, I'm curious too. I'm in the process of trying to get a pass now, actually. Working on a game at the moment (a MMO management sim), so I definitely qualify, but I work for UCSD...and that doesn't exactly scream game industry on any of my pay stubs, w-2, etc.

#39 Edited by unique (13 posts) -

You can do it, just be persistent. I went to E3 when I was sixteen years old, and I didn't have a job in the industry. My dad had a connection and was able to get some passes. It's easier than you might think to get in, and there's no one checking passes as far as I can tell.

#40 Posted by Humanity (8809 posts) -

I usually put on a red track suit and style my hair all crazy hoping that will get me in without creds.

#41 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -