How Do You Get Into Freelance Game Journalism?

crunchyflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

The title really explains it all. I've looked pretty much everywhere and still don't quite understand how someone becomes a freelance game journalist. It seems like a difficult thing to accomplish if you don't have contacts who are already within the industry.

So, anyways, I was just wondering how all those freelance journalists get their jobs. Thanks duders.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By cornbredx

Send a portfolio to websites non stop. Not to be mean, but if none bite then you want to rethink what you're writing about. They may not see any potential in it. Or you need to work on your writing.

Edit: also bare in mind that most, if not all websites, have little to no budget for more content than they already have. If they don't bite it could also just be bad timing.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShaggE

This is just what I did, and it worked for me until I realized that I didn't much care for the field:

Start with small, independent sites and build a portfolio. Gamejournalismjobs.com is a good resource for that kind of thing. You'll see mostly sites with a readerbase of, like, five or six people and no chance of expanding, but that's fine. It's all about that portfolio. Besides, with sites like those, you can grow into your style without feeling like the entire internet is waiting for you to stumble.

When you've gotten that built up, start sniffing around for some interview opportunities. That's the easiest way I know of to make industry contacts.

Edit: Alternatively, put on a Jeff Gerstmann mask and run around yelling "VIDEO GAMES! HOT GARBAGE! WRESTLING! I LOVE YOSHI!" until James Industry himself accepts you into his loving folds and you find yourself running Giant Bomb. (never remove the mask, of course)

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By development

I'm not the person to ask, but I'd guess a good way to give yourself some cred is to have an English degree of some sort, accompanied by a portfolio of essays, accompanied by a longstanding blog where you write/report as you would if you were writing for some site like Forbes. Then you contact the appropriate people, talk nice to them, and give a link to your blog and your resume.

edit: or, you know, nepotism.