How do you guys cruise the net?

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JCGamer

Ever since the shut down of EGM and the "restructuring" of 1up.com, I've been going to a whole bunch more sites for gaming news.  Of note, the ex-1upper's sites, and of course giantbomb!!!.  After bookmarking all these new sites and more, I decided to start getting my gaming info from the RSS feed in the Google reader and found it much easier to manage than visiting 10+ sites a day.  Just wonder how you guys cruise the net and keep up with the gossip.

edit--man, I can't spell!!!
Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7

With mah 'vista cruiser'

GET IT!?!?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Coltonio7 said:
"With mah 'vista cruiser'GET IT!?!?"
If I follow what your saying, I`m in da Windows 7 cruiser ; )
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

Typically for all the years I've been on the net I always have a set of sites I'll visit multiple times a day for different uses.

For games my current set looks like this :

Giant Bomb (more for checking out the forums, front page actually doesn't do much for me)
Gamersyde (nice images and videos site)
Game Trailers (good for trailers of electronic entertainment products)
Joystiq
Major Nelson
Blue's News (don't PC game much anymore, but I've visited the site since it was called Quake News and was one of about a dozen videogame news sites on the net)
NeoGAF (for news only, discussion there is toxic)
Amazon Deal of the Day
Gamestop daily deal
Also one site that I won't mention because they put up magazine scans

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By JCGamer
Diamond said:
"Typically for all the years I've been on the net I always have a set of sites I'll visit multiple times a day for different uses.For games my current set looks like this :Giant Bomb (more for checking out the forums, front page actually doesn't do much for me)Gamersyde (nice images and videos site)Game Trailers (good for trailers of electronic entertainment products)JoystiqMajor NelsonBlue's News (don't PC game much anymore, but I've visited the site since it was called Quake News and was one of about a dozen videogame news sites on the net)NeoGAF (for news only, discussion there is toxic)Amazon Deal of the DayGamestop daily dealAlso one site that I won't mention because they put up magazine scans"
Yea, I was like that too.  I would go to voodoo extreme and get a load of news and then headed on over to IGN and cruise the boards, then saw what 1up had to offer, then went  to see what gametrailers had to on-line etc...  Combine this with CNN, ESPN, and more,  it was getting too much--so I went with the RSS feed and it's been great.  I still look at the sites, bit it's nice to have a bunch of updates on 1 page.
Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Mercator

With one hand.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond
JCGamer said:
"Diamond said:
"Typically for all the years I've been on the net I always have a set of sites I'll visit multiple times a day for different uses.For games my current set looks like this :Giant Bomb (more for checking out the forums, front page actually doesn't do much for me)Gamersyde (nice images and videos site)Game Trailers (good for trailers of electronic entertainment products)JoystiqMajor NelsonBlue's News (don't PC game much anymore, but I've visited the site since it was called Quake News and was one of about a dozen videogame news sites on the net)NeoGAF (for news only, discussion there is toxic)Amazon Deal of the DayGamestop daily dealAlso one site that I won't mention because they put up magazine scans"
Yea, I was like that too.  I would go to voodoo extreme and get a load of news and then headed on over to IGN and cruise the boards, then saw what 1up had to offer, thenwhent  see what gametrailers had to on-line etc...  Combine this with CNN, ESPN, and more,  it was getting too much--so I went with the RSS feed and it's been great.  I still look at the sites, bit it's nice to have a bunch of updates on 1 page.
"
I know what you mean by 'getting too much'.  Most of the time now I have good control over how much I'll visit those sites, only takes 30 seconds or so to go through Joystiq for example.  During E3 when it was big there were days I spent jumping back and forth between sites all day because of all the amazing news, videos and announcements.

Makes me nostalgic for the sites I used to visit that aren't around anymore.  Something called Project 3dfx or something like that, I went through an IGN phase but that was around 2001.  Actually for a long time, until like 2003 or so, I didn't use bookmarks in web browsers at all for some reason.  For that reason I actually would completely forget to visit a site for years on end (blues news is one example).
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By c1337us
Mercator said:
"With one hand."
It had to happen. I lol'd.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

Like a newspaper, I hit my pages of interest first. News, Sports, Entertainment... except it's 24 hours a day.

Magnus_Bulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Magnus_Bulla

I pretty much just go to 1up for their news blog, and Giantbomb. I've never been a big fan of either IGN or Gamespot.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By c1337us
Claude said:
"Like a newspaper, I hit my pages of interest first. News, Sports, Entertainment... except it's 24 hours a day."
This is pretty much the same as me in seriousness. There would probably be less then 20 sites I visit with any regularity and less then half dozen I visit on a daily basis.

Except my priority is Sports > Entertainment > News.  
luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By luthorcrow

I don't like most game sites.  Giant Bomb and Game Trailers about the only ones I hit regularly.  What is the site of the ex-1 upper?  1 Up would have been on the list but only for the 1UP Show, the site itself never grabbed me and now there is no reason to go there.

Waiting for W7 to go retail so I can dump Vista for ever.

Also, switched Safari 4 Beta.  It faster than Chrome for most things.  My only complaints are the tab surface can only be grabbed in spot, no mouse gestures and the ICC profile awareness is broken.   Unlike FF3 it doesn't display untagged items as sRGB but rather it defaults the monitors default gamut and only applies ICC profiles when embedded and then only images with img tags.  So all of the images that are part of the design of website (backgrounds, navigation) basically all images applied via the style sheet, whether they have a sRGB ICC profile embedded or not are ignored.  How can a company that is famous for catering to web designers just get the colors wrong!

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I visit Giant Bomb daily , I also check out Gamespot every now and then .

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kajaah117

I've got RSS feeds(Google Reader) up the ass. 29 as of now. I visit the actual Giant Bomb site frequently though. :)

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Steven

Pretty much the same, google reader filled with all kinds of stuff (be it games, news, science, gadgets, or whatever).  I also go to DIgg and here!  Even though Giantbomb is only my feed I still come here every day.

Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cynical_M

I check out digg alot....besides that i dont really have a regular....besides GB

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Seedofpower

I try check sites for games i'm just into at the time....... i used to visit Gamespot  and Gamers 2.0 (before it shut down) alot and now i just stick to random forums and Giant bomb.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tmthomsen

I use Google Reader for gaming news and GiantBomb for awesomeness.

Tomzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tomzombie

mainly visit giant bomb, and current.com  every day and look up 3 web comics ever 2 days

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Pepsiman

If you're not surfing the Internet via the DS' Opera browser, you're clearly doing something very, very wrong.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I generally get my gaming news from Giant Bomb (both their news and on the forums) or any of the podcasts I listen to.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By penguindust

How do I surf the net?  Like this...

Time to start pwning noobs...soon...as...I catch my breath
Time to start pwning noobs...soon...as...I catch my breath

Actually, I've found that most of the news is reported and re-reported on any number of websites or blogs.  So, going to a couple is as good as going to a dozen.  As such, I'll visit GB daily as well as 1UP (it's still good & I support Garnett Lee), Joystiq, Kotaku, and Gametrailers.  Sometimes, I'll drop in on Gamespot, Destructoid, Ars Technica, GamesIndustry,  Area5, CheapAssGamer, MTV Multiplayer, VG247 and a few others, but not with any regularity.  I rarely go to IGN or Gamespy.  Again, their news is not any different than another site, plus their pages take longer to load than the ones on the other game sites I've listed, so why bother?   I should add that, in fact, I probably get more news from the various podcasts I listen to.  Giantbombcast, ListenUp, OrangeLoungeRadio, CAGCast, IdleThumbs, RebelFM, Hotspot, VideoGameShow, etc... The podcasts recycle news, too, but it's the personalities that are the main attraction, there.

I prefer going to the sites to see what's new and check out the rants and diatribes found in the forums.  I only comment here at GB, but I like reading what people have to say on other sites, too.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#23  Edited By AgentJ

I totally agree about the RSS feeds. I wish every website used them, especially sportsfanlive.com. I get more than 100 game related RSS links every day, along with about 50 sports and some other smaller topics, and ever since i started using them about 2 and a half years ago, my net surfing has become much faster. BTW im cruising the net on Google Chrome right now. I'd normally use Firefox but every time it tries to update itself, i go into an infinite error loop that ctrl alt delete doesn't fix. Besides, Chrome has some good features

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By dj

I just check out Joystiq and Kotaku for the news, GameTrailers for the videos, and GiantBomb for the community. I should really check out this whole "RSS" thing.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Kiemoe

I mostly just check out Joystiq, Kotaku, and, most importantly, Giant Mutha Effin Bomb.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I rotate between my email, my personal blog, Giant Bomb, my Facebook, back to my email, back to my Facebook, back to Giant Bomb.

Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, I check out Penny Arcade's new blog/comic combo.  Other than that, I'm a pretty boring guy.

Oh, and Youtube.  Can't forget that.