How do you keep track of your game backlog and unreleased wishlist?

• 58 results
hexvector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll How do you keep track of your game backlog and unreleased wishlist? (150 votes)

Giantbomb Lists 16%
Game collection app (post which one) 12%
Pencil and Paper 7%
I have good memory 26%
I don't keep track 33%
Other (post your method) 19%
 • 
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

I keep track of my backlog with a list on my computer, but I don't keep track of games on my wishlist.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By confusedowl

I just use backloggery.com. does the job quite nicely.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Excel.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Mah brain. If I drop a game, it's likely because I was bored of it. I play most of my games in binges - recently XCOM has 16 hours in 3 and a half days, BL2 for the second time already has two or so hours in it, and way back in the yesteryear of 2009 I beat Persona 4 with ~75 hours in about a week and a half - so if I don't finish in that initial blitz then I usually don't finish the game.

Avatar image for smashed_pumpkins
smashed_pumpkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I got into a bad habit of starting multiple games, and then rarely finishing them. If I do not enjoy a game, I give up on it. But there were plenty of games I really liked that I just stopped playing. (I wiped my Infamous progress because I decided to start a new character without making a hard save) That was my fault

Top of my backlog is Dragon Age Origins. I started playing that game right after I finished Mass Effect 3 at launch, after finishing Mass Effect 2. I have a PS3 so the first Mass Effect was not available then. Hit a hard point and then put it down. But that game is still right next to my console. Also I want to finish Bulletstorm, Rage, Darksiders 2 + a few more I have left stacked by my TV.

Losing my progress on Infamous means I will probably never finish that game, I was really near the end. But I put Darksiders 2 down because it was so slow, I just gave up. Probably will never finish that ever

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MezZa

My backlog is just whatever games I have lying around that I know I haven't played or finished. Its not big enough to a point where I need a list yet. As for unreleased games, I don't really organize it much. There are a few I keep a close eye on and everything else I just kind of ignore until the week it releases.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I picked pencil and paper, but I really use Notes on my iPhone. More recently I have used the steam wishlist, but that doesn't cover old console games.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giantbomb lists. If you look at my lists, everything I want to play, am interested in & have are on they're own lists.

BUT FUCKING GIANTBOMB'S LISTS HAVE BEEN FUCKED SINCE THE NEW SITE SO I'M DYING NOT BEING ABLE TO UPDATE THEM.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Giantbomb lists. I just keep a two lists, games that I own and a wishlist.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I have a list for console and handheld games I want to get on a list here on the site and a list of PC games I want through Steam. I have no interest in keeping track of my backlog.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Good memory and the occasional GB list.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was having issues with a massive backlog a few weeks ago and found this site: Thebackloggery

I like the stats it gives the user, being able to tell what percent of the games I've finished and for what platform makes me feel ashamed for having all these unplayed games. Seeing that percentage rise is weirdly motivating me to finish more games. Also the "Fortune Cookie" feature is great when i have no idea what to play next. Hopefully with a bit of self control ill get to a 100% complete collection some times soon.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Excel for the games that I have, my memory for what I want.

I might make a list of what I want, but I never buy even half of it and I usually forget about most of it.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Cathryn

Combination of Giant Bomb lists and One Note -- I keep detailed lists of all my media consumption on One Note (it works well for keeping track of a lot of different things all with one theme), and then I have less detailed information in Giant Bomb lists.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For new games I just put mark them on the imac Calendar app.

As for my backlog, I just pretend it doesn't exist until I really want to play any particular old game (usually out of shame and a little curiosity)

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't worry too much about my backlog, any games I care about getting around to are easy to remember, I'd probably drive myself crazy if I kept a list of every game I should finish. :P

I tend to visit retailer websites often to keep up on release dates, sometimes I'll make a list of upcoming games and their release dates on my iOS notes app.

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I keep my wishlist mostly in memory. My backlog is stored on The Backloggery.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Dagbiker

.I had this problem for years and just Recently tryed to find a way to fix it. I tryed using a program called cgstar I think its free, but dosent have the one feature I want, that s in another program called movie database catologe or something, which is to beable to have bios asociated with peoples names.

Right this second I am using a program called tabbles. its free to try, and costs 30$ to buy. Its ok. its basicly a tagging system for all files. it gets slow though when you load up a lot of tags.

I am also thinking about making a simple program that has a lot of the features that I want. such as random game suggestions, and random tag suggestions (kind of like little big planet, because a lot of time in tabbles I forget I created a tag, or a certan game should be taged a certan way.)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't really keep track as I just set Steam to show only installed titles and un-installed games I have beaten or I know I wont play in the foreseeable future.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Notepad/Steam library.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#23  Edited By StarvingGamer

I don't keep track of my backlog.

Every couple months I'll check out what releases are coming up for the year then e-mail myself a list to start whittling down. Then I usually just preorder everything immediately on Amazon.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have so many games in my backlog I just can't keep track anymore. Truly the first of the worldly problems.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spreadsheet on Google Drive.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By topsteer

I just keep a text file of games that I plan on buying eventually. My memory's not so great so it's mainly for smaller games that I would forget. I don't really keep track of my backlog though I probably should.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have so many games in my backlog I just can't keep track anymore. Truly the first of the worldly problems.

This. It would probably end up being a huge document. As for unreleased games, the ones I really look forward to I keep track of through Giant Bomb.

hexvector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hexvector

@starfoxa: I'm building a free game collection website/app (using Giantbomb API), but you can use it for pretty much whatever you want since you can tag a game with any description. So if you (or anyone) is looking for something different to keep track of or catalog games the site is: www.gamedex.net - let me know what you think!

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#29  Edited By isomeri

No lists. I love getting excited about a game and then realizing that I already own that game.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

.txt shared over drop box.

I'm old school that way : )

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Chibithor

I don't. Now, a released games wishlist I can get behind. For that I have a folder of bookmarks on my browser. I'm not concerned over my backlog and unreleased games will generally remind me by being released.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#32  Edited By Krullban

I just can easily remember what I haven't finished.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I don't.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ChaosDent

I am like a moth that flutters toward shiny new things. I rarely look back and regret not playing more of or finishing an older game, though I often flutter back to them when they catch my eye again.

As far as how I keep track of my backlist, if you want to call it that. It's whatever is installed on Steam and/or my PS3. If it isn't installed or in the disc drive I don't really think about it.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Giant Bomb List, I love it, makes it easier to keep track of WHAT I want to beat

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By morningstar

In a chaotic fashion. Sometimes i buy things twice..

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Game backlog is easy, I just don't buy new games until I've beaten whatever it is that I'm playing at the moment.

For unreleased games it's also pretty easy as big games I'm interested in don't all come out at the same time and there's usually a fair bit of attention before they get released.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't, but sometimes I look at my Steam library and see the times on the games I own.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PillClinton

Just a Google doc.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I usually remember if there is something big I am meaning to get back to and if I forget it then it wasn't important to start with.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't keep track anymore. I used to keep notepad lists and shit as a kid, but now I'm busy enough to not be actively monitoring my gaming, I just play whatever is out that I like..

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Every which way I can. I used to use the myIGN lists page or whatever it was called for all of it, and I quite liked how they handled things, but then they fucked it all up and I've been searching for a good one stop shop for it all ever since. I use Backloggery, mostly to keep track of when I finish a game and what games are in my collection, but thanks to the way it organizes things and the limited search or customization options I find it lacking. It's serviceable, but eh...

I have an excel doc of the games I own and have not played but should play.

I have a list on this site that serves a similar purpose, but also includes the games I've started but have yet to finish and another one that's a wishlist.

I am a crazy person. I really like having a list of all the movies, music, games and books I own or have watched or played or listened to or read or want. And I like being able to mark down that I have finished one of them after having done so. And I like to be able to easily search through the list when I want to find, say, what horror movies I've seen that were made in this century, or what games I played that were released in 2010, or something like that when the mood strikes me.

hexvector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyromagnestir: Part of the reason I asked this question is too see how people like to keep track of their games (backlog or wishlist) for a web app that I'm building. Since you like lists I'm interested in what you have to say about this game collection app: www.gamedex.net - It is free, you can try out the demo without signing up.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By VooDooPC

I have a txt file in my documents folder called "Games To Get 2013". It has the name and release dates of games I'm interested in. When a game comes out I'm interested in and I get it, I'll tab it over. Some games never get tabbed over, like Aliens.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@hexvector:

A quick check of that site has me thinking that's definitely along the lines of what I want functionality wise. It's the closest thing to what I'm looking for that I've yet to see. You search for games and it finds them from a database, rather than having to input them manually like on backloggery. When you add a game to your collection it's got a decent amount of filtering options, so I could find most of the random things I want to search for easily enough. It's even got links to Giantbomb's page for the games, which is neat. all in all I'd say that's a pretty nifty little app.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#47  Edited By LordAndrew

I use Backloggery for backlog tracking, and my brain for a wishlist.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By zoozilla

@ezakael said:

I just use backloggery.com. does the job quite nicely.

Same here. I also have an Amazon wishlist with the games I want.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Memory for backlog. Amazon for wishlist. I'll just throw the game on there, check the list every few weeks and be like "oh yeah that game is totally coming out. Guess I better buy it!"

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Clonedzero

if you gotta keep an organized list, then you got problems!