#1 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2157 posts) -

Ever since Brad mentioned in this weeks I love Mondays that he (and Patrick) didn't know about rolling in Resident Evil 6 until past 10 hour mark and blaming the game not giving any kind of tutorial I was wondering how the rest the community learns the controls in the games we play. This is also not the first time I've heard Brad in particular mention that whatever game he is playing doesn't explain a mechanic but I'm willing to bet it was in a menu somewhere.

The very first thing I do in most (if not all) games I play is fiddle around with the character learning all the moves and going into the controls menu. How do you handle learning controls?

#2 Posted by Clonedzero (3725 posts) -

if theres a manual i'll read the controls while im installing the game (i always install the game on my 360). if theres no manual (rare) i'll pop into a menu or something to see it. otherwise i just roll with it.

for PC games, i always check keybindings cus theres usually something weird i want o change anyways. like who has hold right mouse to zoom in shooters? shit should be toggle by default. crazy people.

#3 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

The game usually has a tutorial at the beginning.

#4 Posted by brownsfantb (387 posts) -

I usually just start playing. Most modern games give you the important controls in the first couple of levels. And games within the same genre all play pretty much the same anyway. If it's an FPS, I'll pull the left trigger, then pull the right trigger. If it's an action game, I'll probably hit X, X, X, Y.

#5 Edited by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I play the game

#6 Posted by MonetaryDread (1955 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

for PC games, i always check keybindings cus theres usually something weird i want o change anyways. like who has hold right mouse to zoom in shooters? shit should be toggle by default. crazy people.

So you are the reason why some games break their controls by not offering hold right mouse to zoom. Toggle zoom is as crazy as inverting your vertical look.

#7 Posted by mwng (891 posts) -

I was a little confused by his comment as well, having played the demo they were constantly flashing the following screen up between scenes.

I'm assuming it must not do this in the full game? The lack of instruction manual probably doesn't help either.

As for me, I tend to pick up stuff rather quickly, though I mostly play RPGs where everything is explained in detail during the first few hours, or fighting games, where you can't really not know the controls.

Shooters seem to have got to a point where controls are pretty standardized across the genre, so when a game mixes it up a little like this, it's probably easier to get confused.

#8 Posted by stryker1121 (1237 posts) -

@Oscar__Explosion: I'll read the manual first thing and have the control layout sitting beside me as I start the game. If there's no manual I'll go right into the control screen almost immediately. I hate futzing w/ controls so I try to learn them as fast as possible.

#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

for PC games, i always check keybindings cus theres usually something weird i want o change anyways.

#10 Posted by supamon (1327 posts) -

Like OP I always play around with the controls at the start. Discovered rolling in the RE6 demo within 2 minutes of starting.

#11 Posted by crusader8463 (14320 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

@Clonedzero said:

So you are the reason why some games break their controls by not offering hold right mouse to zoom. Toggle zoom is as crazy as inverting your vertical look.

It looks like your post was inverted Monetary as holding to zoom/crouch is for crazy people and toggle is for real men.

As for the question, I always play the tutorial as there is always one or two little systems that are unique to each game that need explaining in order to get, but it's always frustrating sitting through all of those annoying press W to move forward/press left mouse to fire parts. I hope the next generation of games give us two tutorials. One for the people that have never played a video game that all current tutorials seem to be aimed at, and one for those of us that just want to know what systems are new for this game but have played a video game before.

#12 Posted by MrSpaceMan (115 posts) -

never really takes long to get the feel of a game.

#13 Posted by CaLe (3678 posts) -

For 3rd person shooters? If there is no tutorial I'll look in the options for one of those controller layout things, then I'm usually good to go.

#14 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3667 posts) -

@CaLe said:

For 3rd person shooters? If there is no tutorial I'll look in the options for one of those controller layout things, then I'm usually good to go.

That usually does the trick.

#15 Posted by JackSukeru (5817 posts) -

In one of the inFamous'es I played through the entire game before I learned that you could dodge back and forth while aiming.

Unless it's some multi-button command thing like that, or a case of missing a vital piece of tutorial information (which led me to play through all of On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode 1 without knowing that you could mitigate damage by timing spacebar presses with enemy attacks) I usually pick it all up by experimenting in the first hour or so of play.

and then get pissed off when they bring it up in a unskippable tutorial later.

#16 Posted by Ubersmake (753 posts) -

@mwng said:

I was a little confused by his comment as well, having played the demo they were constantly flashing the following screen up between scenes.

I'm assuming it must not do this in the full game? The lack of instruction manual probably doesn't help either.

As for me, I tend to pick up stuff rather quickly, though I mostly play RPGs where everything is explained in detail during the first few hours, or fighting games, where you can't really not know the controls.

Shooters seem to have got to a point where controls are pretty standardized across the genre, so when a game mixes it up a little like this, it's probably easier to get confused.

I have a love-hate relationship with these screens. It's great when it shows up, and when loading is finished, you press a button to go into the game. It's infuriating when loading takes a second or two, and then you're dropped into the game without a chance to even try and parse all that information.

#17 Posted by mwng (891 posts) -

@Ubersmake: That's a fair point. I still remember Resi 5's loading screens making me giggle, as they flashed up a paragraph of back story for a fraction of a second while the game loaded up the next area. I'd try and read a few words each time...

#18 Posted by Bigandtasty (3202 posts) -

I usually just play unless there is a mandatory tutorial or I find myself dying frequently.

#19 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:

@Clonedzero said:

for PC games, i always check keybindings cus theres usually something weird i want o change anyways.

This is usually when I bind crouch from C to Ctrl if it's not set to Ctrl by default. Because I'm not a freak.
#20 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4038 posts) -

I just play the tutorial and hope it tells me all I need to know. If the game fails to teach you key controls because "putting them in the menu was enough," I believe that it's quite the screwup on their side.

"Here's this really important thing you should know...but you gotta go find it yourself, asshole."

#21 Edited by runnah555 (148 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

I play the game

This. It's a game, if you cant figure it out in under 10 mins than you are dumb.

#22 Posted by cannonballBAM (593 posts) -

@mwng said:

Seriously, I was thinking this through the whole quick look.

@Oscar__Explosion: When they were complaining about the lack of physical manuals during the quick look, I was just thinking of how PC users have been accustom to digital manuals. I think an in depth tutorial or digital manual section is important in this digital age. I love a nice ATLUS manual like the next guy but having them integrated into the physical game makes a huge difference.

#23 Posted by MB (11302 posts) -

I always feel like a bit of a failure when I have to look at the control map for a console game...PC games too unless it's something sim-like that has a key binding for everything. Quite a departure from when I used to sneak the manuals to m NES games to school in my backpack so I could read them, and Nintendo Power, during class.

#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@Ubersmake said:

@mwng said:

I have a love-hate relationship with these screens. It's great when it shows up, and when loading is finished, you press a button to go into the game. It's infuriating when loading takes a second or two, and then you're dropped into the game without a chance to even try and parse all that information.

That's why you take a quick screenshot, alt-tab to it and study it.

@Ravenlight said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Clonedzero said:

This is usually when I bind crouch from C to Ctrl if it's not set to Ctrl by default. Because I'm not a freak.

Respect!

#25 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1169 posts) -

I like to travel to a small mountain retreat and learn basic game controls through the ancient art on montage.

#26 Edited by tsiro (214 posts) -

If I'm using a controller, I just start playing. There are only so many buttons, and in general, games of similar genres tend to follow convention pretty well. Plus, tutorials are generally alright at teaching things that might not be immediately apparent. I don't remember the last time I actively went and looked up controls.

With a keyboard, it's a little different, since there are way more buttons, and sometimes developers like to get a little creative.

#27 Posted by Zlimness (504 posts) -

I figure out what I need to know in the first 10 min or so. Most games have basically the same controls anyway.

#28 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

I generally always have a general idea of what does what, so once I get in a game I fiddle around with everything and if I can't find something out or want to re-map something (PC, obviously) I go to the controls menu and do so.

#29 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

I learn by playing, and I despise tutorials. Granted, I still don't know how to do anything in Crusader Kings II, so maybe that's a bad opinion to have.

#30 Posted by mscupcakes (610 posts) -

I just play the game and get the hang of things after a while. I never really look at controls unless I really have to (fighting games are the exception)

#31 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Clonedzero said:

God, I hate that. Why would you ever have crouch at anything other than Ctrl. My fingers ache just from thinking about it.

I also always put my controls on inverted if it's first person. Don't judge me, okay? It just feels weird otherwise.

I generally don't mindlessly mess around with controls or go through the options looking for specific controls. I feel like, with the kind of game Resident Evil 6 wants to be, forcing players to either do either of those or even read a mapping of controls in a loading screen (which really bug me for some unknown reason) is a conceptual failure on the part of the designers. If you're positioning your game as being a big interactive, cinematic experience then you need to be able to communicate whatever I as the player need to know within that immersive sphere. If I have to break it by looking through menus or reading meta-texts, then it causes a noticeable disconnect for me.

Obviously, games that don't make this style their prerogative don't bother me in such a way, and I can recognize that it's pretty incredible games have gotten to a point where this can be a conversation. Still, though, if the game your designing is supposed to be this big even to get wrapped up in, you should be able to tell me what to do in there. Otherwise it just feels lazy.

#32 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

I like to press all the buttons and see what it is my character is capable of.

#33 Posted by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

Quick glance at the manual while the game is loading up and from there, trial and error if there's no tutorial present within the game.

#34 Posted by Aleryn (703 posts) -

Titlescreen --> Options --> Controls.