#1 Posted by Video_Game_King (36059 posts) -

I'm currently watching the Reef Shot Quick Look, and have heard Patrick pronounce it "Des-SUR-ra". Found it rather odd, since I've always thought it pronounced "des(u)-ra" (weeaboo that I am). Then again, this is an Internet service that exists pretty much only in text (as far as I can tell), so I'm not even sure what the "official" pronounciation would be. Anybody else want to weigh in on this?

#2 Edited by louiedog (2335 posts) -

The video is from their official account so I assume it contains the correct pronunciation.

#3 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

This + rah

#4 Posted by damswedon (3175 posts) -

I'd probably say "D sur ra".

#5 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

I've never said it out loud but I imagine it sounding like

Des as in desert

ur as in a oohr sound

ah as in uh or between the two

but I'm an American and we apparently can't pronounce words

also kind of how an American would pronounce the name Desiree but instead of the hard A it's an uh

#6 Posted by LTSmash (604 posts) -

"Laa-ruh"

#7 Posted by Pr1mus (3821 posts) -

Laura

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36059 posts) -

@louiedog said:

The video is from their official account so I assume it contains the correct pronunciation.

It can't be. There's no J in Desura.

#9 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

D'ee-soo-lah

#10 Posted by Pr1mus (3821 posts) -

You shouldn't really question how to pronounce it based on how Patrick does. He exaggerate the pronounciation of simple words plenty of time or just get some flat out wrong. The way you pronounce it is probably pretty accurate.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36059 posts) -

@pr1mus:

I was just trying to see the many varieties of how people pronounce a word seen mostly in text.

#12 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1355 posts) -

I pronounce it like Asura...like from that game.....but with a hard D instead of an A at the beginning

#13 Edited by Gruebacca (499 posts) -

Well, according to that video, the s is apparently pronounced like zh. Similar to the j in French, as in Jacques. Wikipedia tells us that this is known as the "voiced palato-alveolar fricative."

So in order to pronounce Desura:

De: as in desk

zhr: as in de jure

uh: as in under

If only there was a simple way to represent every sound in spoken language with a single symbol for each, but then we'd have millions of symbols. As long as language is confusing, we will continue to pronounce words like Desura incorrectly.

#14 Edited by Winternet (8007 posts) -

DessSsssssura

#15 Edited by EVO (3869 posts) -

Day-soor-ah.

#16 Posted by AlexW00d (6188 posts) -

I pronounce it the same way as you, but if the Aussie man in the video says it's dejura then that's the correct way, I guess.

#17 Posted by believer258 (11666 posts) -

I have always said "dess-ur-uh". Probably the same or very similar to Patrick's pronunciation.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36059 posts) -

If only there was a simple way to represent every sound in spoken language with a single symbol for each

その方があるよ。

#19 Posted by Gruebacca (499 posts) -
#20 Edited by Video_Game_King (36059 posts) -
#21 Posted by Gruebacca (499 posts) -

@video_game_king: The thing about Japanese is that several sounds combine to create one character, not that one character represents one sound. I'm pretty sure your example is even more confusing. lol

#22 Posted by benpicko (2000 posts) -

Lah-ra

#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (36059 posts) -

@gruebacca:

Sort of? ね will always be ね, although something like 日 can be whatever the hell it wants to be.

#24 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

De-sir-a

#25 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1394 posts) -

@gruebacca said:

If only there was a simple way to represent every sound in spoken language with a single symbol for each

その方があるよ。

*Looks at watch* About 7 past 10.

#26 Edited by StarvingGamer (8027 posts) -

Des as in desk

Ra as in somewhere between law and raw and daw

Emphasis on Des

des(u)ra

#27 Edited by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

IPA or GTFO.

#28 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Des as in Desmond and ura as in Uhura.

#29 Posted by Arabes (338 posts) -

@gruebacca: There is, the phonetic alphabet. It's the one with the funny symbols no uses :)

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.englishbiz.co.uk/grammar/images/phonetic_alphabet.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.englishbiz.co.uk/grammar/main_files/definitionsn-z.htm&h=377&w=589&sz=10&tbnid=hNJr9VQk2QpjCM:&tbnh=73&tbnw=114&zoom=1&usg=__b0Az6G7WhwZGKUox8uZ7A3RSCb0=&docid=mxQ93SxuTz3EmM&sa=X&ei=3LRBUaz2POOx0QWVyICYBg&ved=0CD0Q9QEwAQ&dur=9368