#1 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Video games include creating your profile (in a single player game) and naming it something, or type-chatting in multiplayer games, etc... 
On PC, you type in using the keyboard. 

How do you type with the controller ?  This could be the stupidist question ever, but i cant figure out the answer. 

Edit: So you tell me there are chat pads, keyboards can connect to consoles, and usually there's an On-screen keyboard? I see.

#2 Posted by Colin (708 posts) -

On-screen keyboard :P use the sticks to move to the letter you want.
#3 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -

That's called cheat codes.

#4 Posted by JJWeatherman (14486 posts) -
@Colin said:
" On-screen keyboard :P use the sticks to move to the letter you want. "
Yeah, I guess this. 

I'm not sure I understand the question... I have a 360 chat pad.
#5 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -

Oddly enough i've been using an actual keyboard for it recently. Monster Hunter 3 gains a lot from having one connected.

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Colin said:
What about multiplayer chatting? It cant be voice only o_O
#7 Posted by Jasonofindy (258 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Colin said:
What about multiplayer chatting? It cant be voice only o_O "
Why not?  Why would you want to text chat while playing multiplayer?
#8 Posted by thecleric (793 posts) -

I have a ps3 so you know. keyboard.

#9 Posted by xMP44x (2189 posts) -

I use a USB Keyboard if I'm writing long text messages. In which case I use better grammar, like I am doing currently. If it's a short message I'll simply use my controller and write in lower case, with no punctuation. I don't use my 360 Headset too much, because the racist abuse bores me when I'm playing.

#10 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" This could be the stupidist question ever, but i cant figure out the answer. "
What, you've never played on a console? You're right- that is a stupid question. 
#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:

" I'm not sure I understand the question... I have a 360 chat pad. "

The question is, If you wanna play a single player game sometimes you create a profile and type your name in, how do u do that on a console? (chat pad = small keyboard?) 

@ThePhantomnaut said:

" That's called cheat codes. "

@Fragstoff said:

" hax "

explain ? 

@Rallier said:

" Oddly enough i've been using an actual keyboard for it recently. Monster Hunter 3 gains a lot from having one connected. "

@thecleric said:

" I have a ps3 so you know. keyboard. "

You can connect a keyboard to a console ?      

@Jasonofindy said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Colin said:
What about multiplayer chatting? It cant be voice only o_O "
Why not?  Why would you want to text chat while playing multiplayer? "
"lol" and "gg" ? :P
#12 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@Roflwaffles: Or the X button, if using a Playstation.
#13 Posted by nukesniper (1311 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Colin said:
Yeah, I guess this.  I'm not sure I understand the question... I have a 360 chat pad. "
About where I am. I found that I actually use the chat pad more than I am bothered by it being there, so its almost always hooked up.
#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" This could be the stupidist question ever, but i cant figure out the answer. "
What, you've never played on a console? You're right- that is a stupid question.  "
The only consoles i ever touched was an atari/nintendo one when i was like.. 8. and only for a few minutes. 
played God of War 2 on the PS2 for one hour 
played Fifa 10 on the X360 with my cousin a coupla times. 

It's really difficult to explain how they're not gamers but have consoles, while im a die hard gamer and im only PC. 
#15 Posted by xyzygy (9637 posts) -

I have a chat pad for my 360. It's so awesome, it's placed right under the controller so the keys are really convenient.

#16 Posted by Jasonofindy (258 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic:  "gg"  
I understand why you would want to communicate with the other player.  I just don't understand why you would want to do it via text.  If you are playing multiplayer on a console there is an open voice chat channel in almost all games.  Why bother with typing lol or gg when you can always just tell them "good game"?  (However, if you want to, it is usually in the guide or a submenu where you use a virtual keyboard.)  

As far as the earlier complaint of constant racial abuse that someone else brought, this has not been my experience.  That is pretty much only a phenomenon playing open matches in games like Halo and Modern warfare which attract the younger crowd and it is simple enough to just mute those individuals.  Many online gamers say nothing.  Another large group just use game related phrases like "this way", "over here", "cover left", etc.   A few gamers have been a delight to game with discussing first the game and eventually forming friendships across the globe.
#17 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

if you dont attach a key board or pad thing to it theres a on screen keyboard that you use the sticks or d pad to move to the letter and then hit "X" to select that letter..

#18 Edited by xyzygy (9637 posts) -
@Jasonofindy: Haha, yeah. People complain about the trash talking so much but they forget that there is a mute option for each player. Stupid people.
#19 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @MysteriousBob said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
What, you've never played on a console? You're right- that is a stupid question.  "
The only consoles i ever touched was an atari/nintendo one when i was like.. 8. and only for a few minutes. played God of War 2 on the PS2 for one hour played Fifa 10 on the X360 with my cousin a coupla times.  It's really difficult to explain how they're not gamers but have consoles, while im a die hard gamer and im only PC.  "

Yeesh I feel sorry for you.  Like really.  You missed out on a lot of games.

Seriously, my mind has been blown.
#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19178 posts) -

Realistically: Voice chat > Text
In my case: Voice chat < Text

#21 Posted by Afroman269 (7388 posts) -

lol

#22 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Jasonofindy:  Oh i see.. i thought it was total chaos. well thats good to know !     

@OllyOxenFree said:
" Yeesh I feel sorry for you.  Like really.  You missed out on a lot of games.  "
No its not that i cant afford a console or anything, its just that i find spending big cash on a console and it's games a waste of money because my kick ass PC is more than enough for my gaming pleasure. I do feel quite bitter about a few X360/PS3 titles that i cant play, but overall im good. I'd rather spend my money on other expensive things i need. 

Seriously, my mind has been blown. "  
?
#23 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

Are the chat pads really worth it? I'm thinking I may need to invest in one.

#24 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @Jasonofindy:  Oh i see.. i thought it was total chaos. well thats good to know !     

@OllyOxenFree said:

" Yeesh I feel sorry for you.  Like really.  You missed out on a lot of games.  "
No its not that i cant afford a console or anything, its just that i find spending big cash on a console and it's games a waste of money because my kick ass PC is more than enough for my gaming pleasure. I do feel quite bitter about a few X360/PS3 titles that i cant play, but overall im good. I'd rather spend my money on other expensive things i need. 

Seriously, my mind has been blown. "  
? "

My mind has been blown because you are a hardcore PC gamer and you were never tempted to purchase a console to play titles that are not on the PC.  You say that you would be "spending big cash" on a console but they are now around $200-300.  That's like 1 CPU or high end video card.  Now I don't know your stance on piracy but maybe you are sticking to PC since it's easy to pirate games on it thus saving you money.
#25 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -
@Jasonofindy said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic:  "gg"  I understand why you would want to communicate with the other player.  I just don't understand why you would want to do it via text.  If you are playing multiplayer on a console there is an open voice chat channel in almost all games.  Why bother with typing lol or gg when you can always just tell them "good game"?  (However, if you want to, it is usually in the guide or a submenu where you use a virtual keyboard.)   As far as the earlier complaint of constant racial abuse that someone else brought, this has not been my experience.  That is pretty much only a phenomenon playing open matches in games like Halo and Modern warfare which attract the younger crowd and it is simple enough to just mute those individuals.  Many online gamers say nothing.  Another large group just use game related phrases like "this way", "over here", "cover left", etc.   A few gamers have been a delight to game with discussing first the game and eventually forming friendships across the globe. "
This.
#26 Posted by Jasonofindy (258 posts) -
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" Are the chat pads really worth it? I'm thinking I may need to invest in one. "
I've got the the 360 one.  It is not worth retail price.  However, if you keep an I on Ebay there is a pack that pops every once in awhile that includes; 
12 months of Live 
Project Gotham Racer 4 
The chat pad 
and a headset.  

I was able to snag it a few months ago for $42 which was worth it to me because the cat chewed through my headset, and I use Live.  The game and chat pad were essentially freebies.  (I think that pack regularly retails for $69 but there are always ebayers selling stuff like this that they picked up on clearance.  I'm not sure when the cards inside supposedly "expire" but expect a flood of them on ebay then as more stores clearance.  (Note:  Every "expired" Live code I've ever used has always worked.)
#27 Posted by Willy105 (4687 posts) -

On the Wii, you use the Wiimote pointer and click.

On the 360 and PS3, you use the analog stick to highlight a letter, and then confirm it.

#28 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree said:

"  You say that you would be "spending big cash" on a console but they are now around $200-300.  That's like 1 CPU or high end video card.  Now I don't know your stance on piracy but maybe you are sticking to PC since it's easy to pirate games on it thus saving you money. "

Here in israel, the x360/ps3 right now cost a little over 540 USD, console games cost 105-115 USD, and PC games cost 55-65 USD.     So yes, it's big cash for me. 
As for the piracy, i buy the games that deserve said 60$ which arent a whole lot, and yes i count on fileshare to get the rest of the games.
#29 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @OllyOxenFree said:

"  You say that you would be "spending big cash" on a console but they are now around $200-300.  That's like 1 CPU or high end video card.  Now I don't know your stance on piracy but maybe you are sticking to PC since it's easy to pirate games on it thus saving you money. "

Here in israel, the x360/ps3 right now cost a little over 540 USD, console games cost 105-115 USD, and PC games cost 55-65 USD.     So yes, it's big cash for me. 
As for the piracy, i buy the games that deserve said 60$ which arent a whole lot, and yes i count on fileshare to get the rest of the games.
"

OK it was just as I thought.
#30 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I have a USB keyboard specifically for my consoles.  Both 360 and PS3 support USB keyboards at a hardware level, so they'll work in basically everything.  Usually I don't have to type that much though, but if I do it gets plugged in.

#31 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

I just use the "keyboard" on the Xbox 360, you know?

By the way, you can plug in an actual keyboard to the 360 and use that for typing. It doesn't have nearly as much functions as the PS3 does; but it gets the job done.

#32 Posted by dudeglove (7275 posts) -
@shadows_kill:  Wait, with a PS3 can I just plug in a regular keyboard via the USB?
#33 Edited by Jasonofindy (258 posts) -
@dudeglove said:

" @shadows_kill:  Wait, with a PS3 can I just plug in a regular keyboard via the USB? "

I'm pretty sure that you can also pair up and use a Bluetooth keyboard but I haven't actually tried it.  I'm also pretty sure USB keyboards work on the Wii.