• 62 results
#1 Posted by Excast (831 posts) -

With Patrick leaving the office I think it is sort of a fair question to bring up.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Giantbomb even though I am not a subscriber. I just can't justify the expense. The Quick Looks are entertaining. The live shows are usually great fun. The podcast is easily the best around. But it does seem like the content is coming sort of disproportionately from a few people.

Patrick constantly has either interviews, articles, or Quick Looks of some kind on the site. He is also in basically every live show. A day rarely goes by when he is not involved in multiple pieces of content.

Alex posts a ton of articles and trailers. He also does a fairly comprehensive weekly write up.

Vinny and Drew are busy behind the scenes most of the time, but Vinny is still in a fair number of Quick Looks.

I guess my question is mostly..what do Brad, Ryan, and Jeff do with their days? They don't write reviews much at all. They do a podcast on Monday or Tuesday along with a 10 minute "I Love Mondays". They then have a live stream on both Thursdays and Fridays. Jeff is regularly not even on TNT. During the week you may see them each in 1 or 2 Quick Looks apiece.

Now I realize Jeff is away this week, they have meetings to attend, and there aren't always games coming out, but this is more of a long term concern. A great amount of the fresh content is directly coming from Patrick right now and the other 3 main "in front of the camera" guys just don't seem all that interested.

We've also been told that Giantbomb would not exist right now without the subscription format. You often hear of game streamers that make fairly decent livings by putting up a ton of content on Youtube or Twitch or whatever. The views ad up and you would have to think that a successful group like the GB crew could be doing a lot better if they were figuring out ways to get more videos up. Certainly 5 or 6 guys can find more to do than a 30 minutes video or two? I appreciate the Daily DOTA thing as at least being an attempt to do more even if it is just Brad succumbing to his addiction.

I hope I'm not coming off as overly negative or an armchair quarterback. I'm just honestly curious about what some of these guys are doing with their time, especially when combined with the reality that they seem to rely on subscriptions to survive and one of their main producers of quality content is leaving the office in just over a month.

#2 Posted by DanYMMV (2 posts) -

I think you really do mean well, but asking a question like this is never really appropriate. While I don't know the exact answers as to what tasks each person on the crew is assigned, I feel it's safe to assume that most of their time is spent on administrative and behind-the-scenes tasks. Setting up E3 meetings, working with PR contacts to acquire games for videos, negotiating how much can actually be shown, editing the written articles...plus, you breezed by the fact that the podcast is often 3+ hours long.

And hey, Patrick is not going to stop making content. Encyclopedia Bombasticas and Spookin' With Scoops will still happen, and he's promising more investigative news stories.

I don't blame you for not having a subscription -- I really don't have a lot of expendable cash either. I just think your post is a bit inappropriate. Getting the content together and running the site takes a hell of a lot of work.

#3 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5268 posts) -

I understand what you're saying, but unless they install that 24 hour live streaming camera in the office I don't think we'll ever really know. As long as they keep doing what they do it doesn't matter.

#4 Posted by Mezmero (1809 posts) -

Drinking. I'm going to say drinking.

#5 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

I want to say Ryan does alot of setting up meetings, talking to publishers to get review copies, ect. alot of behind the scenes stuff, because if thats not what he's doing then well, he doesn't do anything lol. please dont say "he's getting married!" that should not effect your job, if anyone ive ever known who got married let it completely take over their life and job then well they'd be unemployed right now.

#6 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Brad spends it playing Dota 2, Ryan spends it having crazy Twitter adventures with his ladyfriend, and Jeff probably spends it in a Four Loko-induced haze.

#7 Edited by Excast (831 posts) -

@danymmv:I hear you. Like I said, I am sure there is plenty of stuff going on behind the scenes. But when you see someone like Patrick doing Quick Looks, stories, and articles on a daily basis, while also participating in the podcast and basically every livestream, it just sort of makes you wonder what contributions others are making during that same time period.

#8 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3747 posts) -

I want to say Ryan does alot of setting up meetings, talking to publishers to get review copies, ect. alot of behind the scenes stuff, because if thats not what he's doing then well, he doesn't do anything lol. please dont say "he's getting married!" that should not effect your job, if anyone ive ever known who got married let it completely take over their life and job then well they'd be unemployed right now.

I actually think that's what Brad does, reaching out to publishers and stuff.

Ryan sets up the E3 stuff....during the summer.

#9 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (730 posts) -

They're getting settled in the new office.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (21295 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

I actually think that's what Brad does, reaching out to publishers and stuff.

Ryan sets up the E3 stuff....during the summer.

I'm sure Patrick done his fair share of that sorta stuff as well. It's specifically because of him that we had that recent SWERY interview promoting the PS3 version of Deadly Premonition after all.

#11 Edited by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

They have to fill out TPS reports in triplicate every morning.

#12 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3747 posts) -

@yummylee: That's a good point. I thought I remembered Jeff saying that publisher relations was mostly Brad's day-to-day job, but I'm sure it's something they all get involved in to a degree.

#13 Edited by Patman99 (1559 posts) -

I like to imagine that they all sit stationary staring blankly into their computer screens, only coming alive when a video camera or microphone is recording them.

#14 Edited by ajamafalous (11868 posts) -

I think you wrote this as tastefully as possible, and I also think it's a question that's on the minds of many people.

I also think more than a few people are missing the point of these threads. It's not that "GB didn't exist before Patrick!" or that "Patrick will still be doing his streams, just from home now!" It's the fact that Patrick has been in something like 75% of all of the QLs over the last year and a half, and with people noticing a seeming lack of enthusiasm from The Big Three, they're worried that we're only going to get two or three QLs a week once Patrick leaves. This isn't some type of an opinion that can be refuted; just go look at that QL spreadsheet and see the numbers for yourself. To an outsider, it seems like Patrick is the driving force behind most of the QLs that go up these days, and people are legitimately concerned about the future.

Also, the always hilarious:

#15 Edited by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

I think Ryan sells all those PC games everyone's been sending to them at the pawn shop.

#16 Edited by alternate (2688 posts) -

Do you think any one of them is lazy? Have they ever given that impression? Do you think that if one of them was slacking off that the rest would let it slide? given how long they have all been working as a team?

Of course not. So they don't have to account for their day to day duties to you or anyone else on these boards, not even to some of the self entitled premium members who seem to think $5 a month buys them ownership.

#17 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2321 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:

It's the fact that Patrick has been in something like 75% of all of the QLs over the last year and a half

We can't take that to mean no one else wants to be in Quick Looks. I always imagined that Patrick volunteered on most of those (specifically the ones where he's observing) because he tries to take an interest in all types of games. If he does that, Jeff isn't exactly going to say "No, people are getting tired of you being in all the Quick Looks, Vinny is doing it."

#18 Edited by Excast (831 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Yeah, I was trying to be as polite as possible while asking a question that I think needed to be asked.

Things have changed a lot over the last 15 months or so. The Tested guys broke off to do their own thing. Dave is gone. Sara left the office. Patrick is leaving for Chicago. And while I do still appreciate the stuff I see on this site, I guess I am just concerned that things are not heading in the right direction.

Patrick had a refreshing level of enthusiasm and open mindedness that I don't really see out of Jeff, Ryan, and Brad. Vinny is always willing to go a little crazy, but the guy has his hands full both at work and at home. I don't image the 3 of them are just sitting around, but it just makes you wonder what exactly is going on that they can't find more ways to contribute content wise.

#19 Edited by Excast (831 posts) -

@alternate: I have no idea. Maybe just apathetic?

I certainly don't feel any level of ownership over the guys. I just find myself wondering what exactly it is that they do in the 30 or so work hours each week (guesstimate) that they aren't doing a podcast or a Quick Look or a Live Show.

#20 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2204 posts) -

Brad: Dota
Jeff: Meetings
Ryan: Drinking
Vinny/Drew: Video Editing
Patrick: Literally everything else
Alex: Occasional Bombastica and Guns of Navarro

#21 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4605 posts) -

I always thought Ryan was Giant Bomb's answer to The Wolf.

#22 Edited by Ares42 (2589 posts) -

They do management stuff. You know, meetings, emails, planning etc. I feel like we need to get a picture like the Giantbomb relationship help-line pic about this topic, but basically Giant Bomb isn't about pumping out a ton of regular content (like the mentioned YT stuff), it's about bringing you the interesting and relevant stuff. If they wanted to they could just chain endurance runs all the time, but that's not the purpose of the website.

#23 Posted by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

l think Brad just looks up weird facts and brings them up on the bombcast.

#24 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

I have always imagined it being something like this. Only slightly less green.

#25 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Ryan posts a podcast once a week and talks shit on Twitter.

#26 Posted by GIyn (202 posts) -
#27 Posted by cloudymusic (1059 posts) -

According to his Twitter, Ryan does some amount of work on user support issues.

#28 Posted by Petiew (1333 posts) -

Patrick: Writing articles and producing video content

Alex: Writing articles and being sarcastic

Vinny and Drew: Videos, editing

Alexis: Coding and site up-keep

Rorie: Community management, talking about his manhood and puppies

Jeff: Meetings, alphabetising his Skylanders collection

Brad: Looking up things on Wikipedia, being bad at games, leaving

Ryan: Managing his twitter block-list.

#29 Edited by wjb (1642 posts) -

I wonder what they do throughout the day sometimes, but I understand why they keep the community at arm's length. Becoming more transparent may do more harm then good. Hopefully they take criticisms into consideration.

I'm cool with what they're doing, I just wish they make more of an effort to plan things out and stay consistent like they used to instead of "Eh, we'll figure something out. Whatevs."

EDIT: Also, I randomly stumbled upon the realization that Alex does recaps for Castle on TV.com. I don't follow his Twitter usually, so maybe he mentioned it, but I thought it was weird clicking on a review of a show's finale and it says "by Alex Navarro." I was like, "I know an Alex Navarro!"

#30 Posted by Slag (4074 posts) -

One of the things I remember hearing the bomb crew saying why CBSi wanted them was that they could so much with so little staff. That was the pitch anyway

I assume that means the core 4 are doing a lot of the necessary busy work for any company. And from the looks of it they nay actually have less help behind the scenes than they did at Whiskey. I think there's a good argument to be made that isn't the bets use of their time, but until/if they have other people to do it, I don't expect much to change.

I doubt we'll find out the specifics anytime soon or maybe eve.

What seems really different to me is actually what they do out of the office. Whereas back in 08-10 it felt they were playing tons of games, I get the impression the guys don't game much at home anymore recreationally. Whether that's due to burnout or more likely time lost to relationship/adult responsibilities, I can't say.

#31 Posted by Zeeco (103 posts) -

l think Brad just looks up weird facts and brings them up on the bombcast.

#32 Posted by TruthTellah (8572 posts) -

hmmm...

Jeff:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/9/91580/2340766-jeff.gif

Brad:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/c6041f4a5deaccaefeed58fcc9817308/tumblr_mjb3vcm1nC1qcjfpno1_250.gif

Ryan:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/1/13641/2467419-6278341969-ryan_.gif

#33 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3747 posts) -

@keres said:

According to his Twitter, Ryan does some amount of work on user support issues.

He manages the merchandise/store, too.

#34 Edited by Helios1337 (324 posts) -

Ryan is busy working on the next episode of TANG that he mentioned a year and a half ago. It's going to be awesome.

#35 Edited by MMMman (118 posts) -

I think the problem with this 'there is no content' voice, is that GiantBomb is pretty much defining 'mainstream entertainment video game content', as clumsy as that phrase is, right now. GiantBomb is making video games a legitimate topic of discussion in the wider media, without diminishing it into the role of an inferior art-form.

If quick looks are slightly less frequent that is fine, there were a couple a week in 2009. What is important is Patrick actually being a video game journalist again (actually writing, which he is terribly good at) and adding some non-video content to the site (bar the GUNS). I understand the industry had changed but I don't really feel everything should be a video; good writing is still compelling and I wish GB editors would write more; Christ they did it for at least a decade before the site.

#36 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -
@mmmman said:

I think the problem with this 'there is no content' voice, is that GiantBomb is pretty much defining 'mainstream entertainment video game content', as clumsy as that phrase is, right now. GiantBomb is making video games a legitimate topic of discussion in the wider media, without diminishing it into the role of an inferior art-form.

Dude as much as I love Giant Bomb's content I have to say you are waaaay over-hyping them. I mean sure they have a decent sized website but I would hardly call that mainstream. When I think mainstream I think CNN or Time not Giant Bomb. Maybe we are just talking about different things though.

Also I've asked before and I'll ask again: does Ryan do anything besides do the podcast and get sick constantly? (seriously dude you should live a healthier lifestyle the ammount you get sick) I know he must do something but is he stuck in meetings too? If he is maybe CBSi is going to be the downfall of Giant Bomb (again sorta).

#37 Posted by Excast (831 posts) -
#38 Edited by beepmachine (618 posts) -

Oh it's this thread again.

#39 Edited by Szlifier (481 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

It's the fact that Patrick has been in something like 75% of all of the QLs over the last year and a half,

Oh, really? Let me check:

Counting form January 2012:

159 QLs with Patrick

305 QLs without Patrick

Total: 464 QLs

More like 34%. (159/464)

I think you're just guessing basing on this week...

It's gonna be fine, chill the f out.

PS. More QL data for anyone interested. http://qlcrew.com/timeline.php

#40 Posted by RazielCuts (2940 posts) -

@truthtellah: I was hoping someone was going to post the Ryan burning money gif and you haven't disappointed, also adding two bonus ones! bravo. Now get back to posting adorable puppy ones :P

#41 Edited by warxsnake (2639 posts) -

Where I work we move floors all the time (big game developer, lots of projects, so they tend to move you all over the place.)

If I took close to a year to adjust to my new office I would have been fired close to a year ago.

#42 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

@dekkadekkadekka said:

Where I work we move floors all the time (big game developer, lots of projects, so they tend to move you all over the place.)

If I took close to a year to adjust to my new office I would have been fired close to a year ago.

I'm actually pretty happy that "they're settling into the new office" has become the new "Brad is leaving"

#43 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (947 posts) -

Dumping cakes into toilets.

#44 Posted by Willza92 (259 posts) -

They are obviously planning THE RAID.

#45 Posted by ajamafalous (11868 posts) -

@szlifier said:

@ajamafalous said:

It's the fact that Patrick has been in something like 75% of all of the QLs over the last year and a half,

159 QLs with Patrick

305 QLs without Patrick

More like 34%. (159/464)

Did you get the 464 number from a different table? When I looked at the googledocs spreadsheet (several months ago, before qlcrew existed), I could've sworn Patrick had been in over 50% of the QLs in whatever timeframe I was looking at. Maybe I'm just losing my mind, but thanks for correcting me.

Either way, I think we can both agree that over 1/3 of the QLs is still a substantial-enough portion to justify being worried.

#46 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

I love this post, deeply agree with much of it, and know it won't go anywhere / will fall upon deaf ears.

Sigh.

Thanks for taking the time though, @excast.

#47 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

@szlifier said:

@ajamafalous said:

159 QLs with Patrick

305 QLs without Patrick

More like 34%. (159/464)

Did you get the 464 number from a different table? When I looked at the googledocs spreadsheet (several months ago, before qlcrew existed), I could've sworn Patrick had been in over 50% of the QLs in whatever timeframe I was looking at. Maybe I'm just losing my mind, but thanks for correcting me.

Either way, I think we can both agree that over 1/3 of the QLs is still a substantial-enough portion to justify being worried.

Oh, here's those details in a handy dandy graph.

Crew Member# Quick Looks 2012-Now
Jeff222
Vinny167
Ryan182
Brad182
Patrick160

Still, losing even a significant portion of 160 quick looks is something to be worried about - especially as Patrick seems to be most active in the dry spells.

#48 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -

For 5 bucks a month I feel like I get enough content. If this site was the only source of your spare time entertainment, then I can see an argument for there not being a lot of content. But if that's the case your doing life wrong.

#49 Edited by Marokai (2819 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: I was a little bored, so I took just a few minutes to see how their QL output is on par with the previous year per staff member, so I added up all QLs done per staff member from the beginning of the year to the end of May, and compared it to now.

Jeff's QLs in Jan-May 2012: 63
Jeff's QLs in Jan-May 2013: 52 (-19%)

Ryan's QLs in Jan-May 2011: 83
Ryan's QLs in Jan-May 2012: 55 (-34%)
Ryan's QLs in Jan-May 2013: 39 (-29%) (-53%)

Brad's QLs in Jan-May 2012: 67
Brad's QLs in Jan-May 2013: 46 (-31%)

Vinny's QLs in Jan-May 2012: 43
Vinny's QLs in Jan-May 2013: 45 (+5%)

Patrick's QLs in Jan-May 2012: 55
Patrick's QLs in Jan-May 2013: 52 (-5%)

Of all of the staff members, only Vinny and Patrick seem to be holding the line in QL output. Jeff is down close to 20% from this time last year, Ryan's QL numbers have cratered by over 53% in comparison to 2011, which is by far more dramatic than any other member of the site, Brad's fallen by a near third since last year, while Vinny's number has actually grown and Patrick's remained steady.

Now, there's another week left to the month, obviously, so it's not a complete comparison, though I doubt we'll only get a few more QLs before the end of May so it doesn't change the overall picture. And, this doesn't include premium content, which I'm sure exists in greater numbers than last year and certainly in greater numbers than 2011, but still, it's not a thrilling picture, particularly for Ryan, who seems to be just nosediving. Add to that the fact that we just lost Dave (who has been in 96 QLs since the site launched) and Patrick will be moving away in a month... It's worth a concern.

#50 Posted by Excast (831 posts) -

@marokai: Thanks for the information. It seems to corroborate what a lot of people seem to be noticing. Namely, that there has been a noticeable drop off in content production from some members of the staff. When you consider the lack of reviews nowadays too it makes it all the more strange.