• 71 results
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Kohe321

These kind of threads are popular now a days. This is the first site I've seen where people want ads :p

FreakingLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By FreakingLogan
TooWalrus said:
Linkyshinks said: "Diamond said: "LiquidPrince said: "BiG_Weasel said: "HazBazz said: "End_Boss said: "samcotts said: "Endogene said: "You mean the current ... [more]
just a momentary affliction
Jon_F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Jon_F

I think the plan must be to get everyone thoroughly addicted to the Endurance Run and then start charging $10/episode starting around #80.  In all seriousness, though, I'd like to know how they are making money because I'd like them to stick around.  I'd be willing to put up with some ads in the videos - or maybe even a monthly donation - if it meant that Jeff could afford to mix it up with a few more polo shirts and maybe Brad could get a burrito made with real animal products instead of just whatever was lying around in the dumpster behind Whole Foods. 

Mikl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Mikl

They rent out their Trex

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By Brendan
@Hexpane:
Very excellent post my friend.  I dislike it when people blame it all on Bush (by the way I'm Canadian and not pro-Bush) and fail to see that the problem was created through years of mis-management and dis-honorable profiteering.  Although saying all CEO's are bastards or something of that nature is simply uneducated, the last twenty years have shown us the many ways in which globablization and certain booming markets have found humans new and easy ways to make bad money (Cough, Roger Smith, cough, cough).
striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By striderno9

In all honesty I'd pay to keep the site up. How many users does this place have? $19.99 for the year sounds good to me.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By TheKidNixon

Holy bump!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By CL60

Really? You bumped a year old topic to say you would pay $19.99 for the site?

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Mrskidders

God, somebody lock this thread.  They make money from advertising, same as the rest of the internet.  They also sold hoodies and T-shirts and they probably bake and sell their own fucking cookies as well.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By Radar
Avatar image for i_love_eva_braun
I_love_Eva_Braun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By I_love_Eva_Braun

they make money from advertising 

I guess they get money for doing QL's for certain games,saying good stuff about certain games and so on

they talk good about steam a lot

last ads I remember were those ads for Bioshock 2 and everyone here started bitching about it

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Mrskidders
@I_love_Eva_Braun: You are saying they take bribes.  I'm pretty sure journalistic integrity gets in the way of that.  Don't make such presumptuous and inflammatory comments.
SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By SunKing

Honestly I have not a clue. It must be partly from advertising and merch sales, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@I_love_Eva_Braun: No. 

Just...no.
Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Mrskidders

I think a mod should lock this before it blows up.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

It's all about the web hits. Get enough of them and advertisers will notice. When you own something like this you don't expect to collect a salary. You have to have enough capital to hang in there until the venture takes off. I imagine when you start a site this big you know that you be operating at a loss for some time.

dukeofharvey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By dukeofharvey

Well somebody posted a link earlier in the thread that explains it pretty clearly..... but people still seem to be confused.

They are all salaried employees of Whiskey Media.  WM is a new internet media startup from one of the CNET founders.  The WM sites like GiantBomb are all focused on small staffs (what like 10-15 guys at GB?)  and then a robust community that edits and manages the content in a wiki-esque way.

Once the sites reach a solid user/content base they will start to put up more ads.  If they are taking their time then they must be pretty cash safe right now.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By schizogony

I heard they all moonlight as Mexican wrestlers. 

Kovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Kovski

From what I understand from the Whiskey Media site Giantbomb makes some money through subtle ways like sharing statistics about what you as the reader watch and read about, also through ways like Question of the Week, where they form the question based on brands and games. Also it seems like they are getting revenues from sponsors paying for quests related to a specific franchise or concepts.

This is all subtle ways of making some small amount of money without you the user really noticing it, but it is a little disturbing how instead of being so upfront about what is ads and sponsored and whatnot because it may come to a point where you start questioning what is really advertisement and when it's not. 

01wilsonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#70  Edited By 01wilsonj

Even the most random websites have ad support, they have thousands of members and thousands of hits a day. i cant understand how no one wants to advertiste on GB? Its got a rep amongst gamers and the industry for being the go to site for the not BS version of the facts, i just dont get it. Oh and selling review scores genius!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Karl_Boss

This thread has been bumped again?