how does the 3DS work?

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By AURON570

So I still don't understand how the 3D stuff works for the Nintendo 3DS. I also just saw this video, of a dude making 3D scenes using images from older 2D street fighter games. So can someone explain to me how exactly it works without having to wear glasses? Like how is it that I can tilt the screen and see into the screen if it's just a flat display? How does the screen know what angle I'm looking at it?

EDIT: ahh okay I think I finally understand. So I still have to be a certain distance away or, looking at it at a certain way for it to work. This image really helped explain things to me, maybe it'll help other people understand it too!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

From what I've read, it's a lot like the Virtual Boy, only good. It just alternates really fast between left and right. Also, I imagine that it has motion sensors or something in it to know the angle you're looking at (just a guess on that one).

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

The wiki page for the Nintendo 3DS might contain the answers that which you seek.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By jorbear

Magic? I still don't understand that thing at all.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

Parallax barrier. 

Now I'm mixing POM and 3D tech :(

The screen is designed so things to the right will see one image and things to the left will see another.

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By fynne

It basically works like those lenticular cards where you see 1 of 2 images depending on how you hold the card.  The barrier diverts one image to the left eye and the other image to the right eye.  This means that the 3DS will have a specific sweet spot.  Move it out of that sweet spot and you'll get a blurred image.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By gunslingerNZ

magnets

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By BunkerBuster
Alien technology recovered from Roswell, NM and tears are obviously the real workings of the Nintendo 3DS.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By rjayb89

It's fuckin' magical, I tells ya.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Afroman269

Children tears and baking soda.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By KingBroly

Pixie Dust and Hallucenegetic spray

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By BraveToaster

The blood of 100 puppies and the screams from a burning orphanage.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Scrawnto
@fynne said:
" It basically works like those lenticular cards where you see 1 of 2 images depending on how you hold the card.  The barrier diverts one image to the left eye and the other image to the right eye.  This means that the 3DS will have a specific sweet spot.  Move it out of that sweet spot and you'll get a blurred image. "
This. Tilting the screen will mess up the image. You won't be able to, say, look around something by looking at the screen from an angle. It's just stereoscopic, not holographic.

Basically, the way we see 3D in the real world is that each eye sees a slightly different perspective. Our brains figure out the distances of various objects based on how different the two perspectives are and thus how much our eyes have to move to make the images of the objects line up. For example, if you have to cross your eyes a lot to get the two images to line up, then the object must be close to you. 

The 3DS renders the scene with two slightly different perspectives as if the "camera" were offset about the distance between our eyes. Each rendering is diverted towards the intended eye.

My poor, extremely simplified visualization
 My poor, extremely simplified visualization
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Synthballs

MAGIC!
MAGIC!
Magic rained down and touched the 3DS. Gave it the ability of 3D.