How far in the future till this is gaming?

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xxNBxx
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2008/camera-0807.html

Like the artical says this can be used for Art and advertising but with some changes it can be used for motion pictures and moving computer displays as well. 

How long do you think something like this will be in gaming?  (Most likely for a Wii 3)  =P
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By serbsta

They're yet to venture into the "4-D" realm so going into this 6-D theory seems like a long time away from now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

serbsta said:
"They're yet to venture into the "4-D" realm so going into this 6-D theory seems like a long time away from now."
Well we are still really, really early into this generations life cycle, I think we will see 4D this gen, but very prematurely.
EndlessMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By EndlessMike

I wonder if people even know what they're talking about when they say that. How exactly do you integrate the passage of time into a video game? And 6-D is a completely esoteric concept that isn't even really developed yet except in extremely high level maths.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By brukaoru

I think this will be so far in the future that I will be dead before I see it... Of course, that's not saying much because I could die soon.

But really, I think this is at least 30 years down the road.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Colonel_Cool

It seems like lots of people misunderstand what 6-D is. When we play games, we are technically looking at a 2-D image on a 2-D screen. Our vision is even a two dimensional perception of the three dimensional world around us. We cannot see a fourth spacial dimension (not talking about time), let alone a sixth one. If you were to transpose and display a six-dimensional rendering onto a 2-d screen, you wouldn't be able to tell what the hell was going on. This "6-D" is a mislabeling of what this technology is.

Anyway, this display technology looks cool, but it doesn't seem practical to be used in conventional TV or monitor displays.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Absurd
Colonel_Cool said:
"It seems like lots of people misunderstand what 6-D is. When we play games, we are technically looking at a 2-D image on a 2-D screen. Our vision is even a two dimensional perception of the three dimensional world around us. We cannot see a fourth spacial dimension (not talking about time), let alone a sixth one. If you were to transpose and display a six-dimensional rendering onto a 2-d screen, you wouldn't be able to tell what the hell was going on. This "6-D" is a mislabeling of what this technology is.

Anyway, this display technology looks cool, but it doesn't seem practical to be used in conventional TV or monitor displays."
You're smart.