• 71 results
#1 Posted by kaos_cracker (588 posts) -

For some reason, lately I decided that every game I get on my PS4, I would like to get every trophy on it, and it reminds me of the old days when I first got my 360 and I would get every achievement in the Halo games, and how hard the firefight achievements were in ODST.

So I was wondering, how hard was a trophy or achievement that you got, or how time consuming was it for an achievement for you?

For me, it was last night when I was trying to get the trophy on Rayman Legends for beating a friend on a challenge 30 times. I happen to have a friend on my friends list that is pretty damn good at it, so beating the time was barely over a second, and then I had to repeat that same challenge 29 more times to get the trophy, plus more for failing at jumps and what not.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

It's times like these I wish we still had achievement tracking so I'd know what achievements I've actually gotten.

#3 Edited by Wolfgame (755 posts) -

I missed treasure trove(I think that was it) in lost odyssey and was unable to determine what chest(s) I hadn't grabbed. on second play through I was much more meticulous in checking it and was thrilled to finally get it. I recall similar efforts and planning to get all of the achievements in Blue Dragon. I never got frustrated but I am definitely not the achievement junkie I was a few years ago.

answering question though, I think both my saves in lost odyssey and blue dragon had 150 hours on them or so by the time I wrapped up the achievements.

#4 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (304 posts) -

Dead Space 2, "Hard to the Core" achievement was pretty grueling. It requires you beating the game from scratch (no new game +) on the hardest difficulty with only 3 saves. I new the trouble areas for me so I saved wisely but I ended up with my last save about 2 hours from the end of the game (right when you ride through the mine). It took me quite a few tries (over a few weeks) and getting up and walking away from it, but when I did finally get it, I felt very accomplished.

#5 Posted by ZolRoyce (704 posts) -

@iigrayfoxii: Oh now that sounds grueling as all hell, kind of reminds me a bit of some of the rewards you would get in the older RE games for beating them on one life and crap like that.

I did the Dead Rising achievement where you have to stay alive for a certain amount of time in it's survival mode in which your health continuously depletes so you can't just find a safe spot and hide or anything, you have to actively seek out food.
That wound up taking me from a few hours before midnight all the way through the entire night with no sleep. That was dumb.
I don't do achievements anymore, I was super addicted to doing them for a very long time but then one day it sort of clicked "why?" and I stopped.

#6 Posted by mosespippy (4185 posts) -

I've gotten some pretty hard trophies and nothing is really standing out above the rest. I think my rarest would be Motorstorm: Pacific Rift's reach Legend rank in multiplayer. If you placed poorly in a race you would lose progression towards ranks or lose ranks all together. You could end up having some scrub take you out and then get rear ended a couple times when respawning and that would fuck you so bad. You'd lose points for the wrecks, the poor result and losing to a lower rank. Two or three races could eliminate 3 hours of podium finishes. It's the only game that's ever caused me to smash a controller, and it did so regularly.

All of the trophies in Pixel Junk Eden and Super Stardust HD are insane and I have 97% and 100% completion in those respectively.

#7 Posted by bybeach (4831 posts) -

This thread is for people who try hard it seems, and my respect.

I absolutely do not try to get either, but it is fun to see myself get one that is incidentally not 'complete chapter 5'.

#8 Posted by crithon (3264 posts) -

the first patches of TF2 class updates. Getting Medic items and achivements, worked with over 30 players to coordinate each one getting an achievement. It was horrible mess and everyone wasn't happy with...... but man too many people hack achievement accounts so what's the point?

#9 Posted by Palmlykta (225 posts) -

Back in 06, I did all the achievements for Dead Rising. Man, to be back in the heady days of the Achievement-craze...

#10 Posted by Hayt (284 posts) -

Some of Dishonoured's trials were super tough

#11 Posted by ThunderSlash (1730 posts) -

I FINISHED SECRET OF THE MAGIC CRYSTALS ONE TIME! NEVER AGAIN!

#12 Posted by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

I got all the achievements for Dark Souls on the 360, which in actuality wasn't that hard but took a good amount of planning (and time). Since then I have shifted over to the PS3 and PS4, and am kicking myself for not doing it on my PSN account. I'll probably cave sooner or later.

#13 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5488 posts) -

The hardest achievement I did was Tactical Challenger, but I did the hard part in like 7 hours. Getting Anarchy Master in Bulletstorm took a lot longer with a competent partner and was reasonably tough. For time consumption it's going to have to fall on WoW's stuff like Loremaster or D3 Inferno back when Inferno was hard. I did all the Starcraft 2 achievements for both games outside of the pure grind multiplayer ones, but only a few of those were particularly difficult. I guess if I want to point to an achievement and say "I got that" it's probably this one before 3.0.

#14 Posted by Sergio (2129 posts) -

I don't really go after achievements, so I haven't worked hard for any of them outside of trying to finish all the levels of a game that might end up giving me a trophy/achievement. I wouldn't necessarily know, since I turn those notifications off if possible.

#15 Posted by Zevvion (1873 posts) -

Probably getting all collectibles in the Last of Us. Not hard, but man, fuck if that's not the most terrible way I've ever played a game. Collectibles are awful. 99,9% of gamers that get all of them use a FAQ. It's a terrible way to show little details in the world and a terrible achievement. I vow never to do collectibles ever again. I've never had fun trying to get them, as I always try to find them myself and end up playing the game hours more than I would have, always missing at least one or two of them and not getting the reward tied to it.

Collectibles are dumb. I really hope game designers wake up one day and stop putting that crap in their games.

#16 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Dead Space 2 hardcore I guess, or some realm first achievements (Algalon, Yogg-Saron and some others) on World of Warcraft.

Not long after I realised how pointless achievements are, now I don't give a shit about them. It feels good.

#17 Posted by hippocrit (240 posts) -

Halo Reach legendary solo was crazy. So was Mass Effect 2 on insanity. Shielded and armored husks SUCK.

#18 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1180 posts) -

I got all the achievements in F.E.A.R. Files.

I don't know why, but I did it. It's done. Fuck that game.

#19 Edited by CatsAkimbo (626 posts) -

Back in 06, I did all the achievements for Dead Rising. Man, to be back in the heady days of the Achievement-craze...

Dead Rising seems like a common one that people perhaps went overboard on. I remember doing the genocide one, driving around the parking garage for hours, and somehow messed up the first time so I had to start over.

The craziest I've probably done is fully completing Limbo, which doesn't actually give an achievement. The last secret item requires you to do a full playthrough without dying, which was pretty nuts and took many tries. Ended up being the 50th person to do it.

#20 Edited by guanophobic (306 posts) -

Got all the single player COD 2 achivements first weeks from launch, totally burned me on achivements since.

#21 Posted by johncallahan (566 posts) -

Probably the Mile High achievement in CoD4 or the Endless Setlist Achievement in RB2 (the one where you couldn't pause).

#22 Edited by Shadow (4980 posts) -

I've spent literally weeks going after one achievement. I've done this multiple times now. Getting everything in Super Meat Boy was very hard, as was Earth Defense Force 2017 (I didn't have a co-op partner), completing all missions in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2, getting the hexagon of all black pearls in Hexic, beating Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master Ninja, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember at the moment. I generally try and go for the hardest single player achievements I can. I never bother with multiplayer since they can be so easily duped I just don't see the point when there's no challenge. Although, lasering 2 people in lone wolf on Halo 3 legit was a pretty awesome moment, and I did spend days trying to get that shot right.

#23 Edited by ttocs (763 posts) -

I always start out with the best intentions in terms of going after achievements but eventually get really bored and move on to the next game. Probably the only one I actually spent a lot of time on would be that Nuka Cola achievement in the original Fallout where you had to find a whole bunch of those one types of Nuka Cola.

#24 Edited by hermes (1487 posts) -

I don't... Unless you count being tedious.

If the game asks me to finish the final mission on impossible without being hit, forget it. If the game asks me to do 1000 special moves, count me in...

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

I'm not sure what my hardest trophy/achievement is. There are just so damn many I've gotten over the last 7 or so years that its all a blur.

#26 Edited by JadeGL (870 posts) -

I played through the XBL remake of Doom II and got a lot of achievements that I had to work for. I specifically remember working on the You Have Huge Guts achievement, which was to kill a CyberDemon with your fists. I ended up finding a great sport to do it on the second secret level, but there was a lot of trial and error in trying to whittle down the health of the CyberDemon enough with BFG and then running in and punching it. Sometimes I would do too much and kill it, sometimes not enough and he would kill me before I punched him enough. Finally I did it. Was it worth it? Yeah, I think so.

#27 Posted by Nightriff (5085 posts) -

I spent a lot of time saving 50 survivors in Dead Rising, that would probably be my "proudest" achievement. My favorite one I have would be the Platinum Trophy for Persona 4 Golden, wasn't too hard but love the hell out of that game and glad I did everything.

#28 Posted by Vanick (332 posts) -

One of the toughest for me was finishing the guitar solo tour on expert in Rock Band. It was just me banging my head against Green Grass and High Tide for weeks. When I finally beat it my hands were shaking. Right now the 8-bit music levels in Rayman Legends(PS4 version) are kicking my butt because they mess with the screen and there are no checkpoints.

#29 Edited by Kingloo (85 posts) -

For me it was Forza's 3 and 4 and the achievements for gold medals in every event. Almost 300 hours across both games. Mercifully Forza 5's equivalent achievement took only 50 hours.

A veritable walk in the park!

#30 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -
  • Beautiful Katamari - Bought all the DLC(you fucking HAD to) and did everything.
  • Final Fantasy XIII - Did everything there is to be done, twice.
  • Final Fantasy XIII 2 - Did everything there is to be done, twice
  • Lollipop Chainsaw - Did everything, twice.
  • DOAX 2 - I got one achievement
  • Blue Dragon - Did everything
  • Castlevania Lord of Shadows - Did everything in the main game, didn't get a platinum because I didn't buy the DLC, which added new trophies and fucked everything up.
  • Lost Odyssey - Did the Treasure Hunter but it didn't unlock, I did this twice, I still don't have it today, fuck it.
  • Silent Hill Homecoming - Did everything
  • Silent Hill Downpour - Did everything
  • Alan Wake - Did everything
  • Bayonetta - Did everything
  • Dragon's Lair - Did everything
  • The Simpsons Game - Did everything
  • Finished all(I think, if not all then majority of them) Guitar Hero games on hard.
  • Played King Kong to completion
  • Didn't buy Avatar The Last Airbender for the easy 1000
  • Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix - Did everything
  • Harry Potter Half Blood Prince - I think I did everything here, I think.
  • Sonic Unleashed - Got all but 1(I think the 1 that got me has something to do with Eggman Land).
  • Sonic Generations - Got all but 3.
  • Dragon's Crown - The Gourmet(the one where you cooked every dish in the game) trophy is a bit of a pain in the ass but I got it.

*shrugs* These weren't too difficult but they took a lot of time.

#31 Posted by Miyuki (176 posts) -

Demon's souls...all the management of world/character tendency was crazy. And I didn't realize I needed pure white to get one ring, so it took me 2.5 playthroughs.

#32 Edited by Nodima (1203 posts) -

I prefer to get achievements just through playing the game, so none really stand out. I did get the Sightseer trophy in Bioshock Infinite and I was PRETTY adamant that I see all of those; a friend stumbled across the last one I needed while trying the game out, ironically.

#33 Edited by DinosaurCanada (103 posts) -

Halo 3's last vidmaster challenge was a lot harder than I thought it would be. We kept bumping each other off the map and screwing up in the tunnel for hours. I don't even think two of us got it when we finally beat it, either. Still don't know what's up with that. Some of the Halo series achievements are nuts.

I also almost finished the endless set list in RB2 until the guy I was playing with disconnected on one of the last songs. Never felt like getting back to it.

#34 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

Dead Space 2, "Hard to the Core" achievement was pretty grueling. It requires you beating the game from scratch (no new game +) on the hardest difficulty with only 3 saves. I new the trouble areas for me so I saved wisely but I ended up with my last save about 2 hours from the end of the game (right when you ride through the mine). It took me quite a few tries (over a few weeks) and getting up and walking away from it, but when I did finally get it, I felt very accomplished.

It's actually set around the Survivalist difficulty setting; Zealot is the hardest, speaking for the attack & damage modifiers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to triviliase the difficulty of completing it on Hardcore as I've done it myself, but just thought I should clarify :P

#35 Posted by Carlos1408 (1507 posts) -

I got all the achievements for Dark Souls on the 360, which in actuality wasn't that hard but took a good amount of planning (and time). Since then I have shifted over to the PS3 and PS4, and am kicking myself for not doing it on my PSN account. I'll probably cave sooner or later.

Same here. Never been one that cared about achievements all that much. The DS ones are probably the only ones i've ever worked for.

#36 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (5057 posts) -

it was not hard but it required tons of grinding, Gears 2 Seriously 2.0 (Kill 100,000 Enemies). I also 100% gears2 so all of that was tough.

#37 Posted by PatODay (219 posts) -

I put so much time into attempting the expert achievements in the Left 4 Dead games...I still don't have those achievements.

#38 Posted by BeachThunder (11942 posts) -

Hours and hours and hours getting Spelunky's Speedlunky and Low Scorer.

Also, Binding of Isaac's Dark Boy.

#39 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2304 posts) -

Getting 1000/1000 in ME 3 was the "hardest" I've tried to get achievements.

#40 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5488 posts) -

@miyuki: Yeah that ring is a piece of shit

#41 Edited by ShaggE (6456 posts) -

I honestly can't think of any super-hard cheevos I went after (although I may be forgetting). I do want to do the endless setlists in the Rock Band games some day. I'd want to make it a social thing, though... it would be less of a grind with an equally dedicated friend or two playing as well.

#42 Posted by TheBluthCompany (387 posts) -

@hippocrit: Both these. Mass Effect 1 insanity sucks, but more from it is boring as hell than actually challenging. Completing all Dragon Age 2 and Alpha Protocol achievements wasn't particularly fun. Mass Effect 3 on Insanity was really quite easy.

#43 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Maybe the one involving 'racing' a bobsled in Dirt 3. It's just a time trial course with an absurdly fast completion goal. I tried for several hours. I cursed and i ranted and raved and tried again and again.

I never did manage to get that achievement and that time trial can die in a fire. D:

#44 Posted by wallofbricks (117 posts) -

I did a perfect non-lethal playthrough on BigBoss difficulty in Metal Gear Solid 4 BEFORE they added trophies and that may have been the hardest thing ive ever done.

#45 Posted by Blommer4 (196 posts) -

The hardest is probably the higher tier achievments of Binding of Isaac wihtout the DLC. Getting the 100 % on that took me a lot of hours (But I truly enjoyed all of them).

I am playing it from time to time now with the DLC, and I'm closing up on the 100 %. The steam achievment list is bugged for me somehow though, so it took me forever to find out what my missing achievments actually was (Didn't think about googling it for a long time... longer than I care to admit)

#46 Posted by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

I probably spent the most time on that stupid blast shard trophy in the first Infamous. I would say my repeated attempts to play through the darkspawn chronicles dlc for Dragon Age Origins, but I never got the trophy because that dlc was such a buggy piece of garbage. I'll just have to live with a platinum and no S-Rank.

#47 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Generally if theres an achievement i know about, sure i'll try for it. if it goes bad, meh. I dont think ive ever spent alot of effort on an achievement just of the sake of the achievement.

#48 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5515 posts) -

Way back when I got my first 360 I played some of the mini games packed in on a disc that came with it. This was back when they put odd numbered achievements in games, and unbeknownst to me several of the mini games had them. One such that I remember was Zuma's revenge. Years later, finally fed up with a fairly large odd numbered gamerscore, I went back to the game to try and S rank it to get back the evenness I so longed for.

Hours of time passed of trying to get a specific set of achievements, some of which were easy, but would have hindered me in my pursuit. After a while, I was about to get the achievement I so longed for, but ended up making things worse and to this day my gamerscore is odd. I guess that was the hardest I ever tried to get a specific achievement, despite ending in failure. Oh well, good thing I don't care about that stuff anymore.

#49 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11741 posts) -

The most effort I put into getting achievements was probably... Halo 3? I helped two of my friends beat that game on Legendary and then I never did it myself. Not nearly as impressive as some of the feats here, but I'm usually not one to inflict more pain on myself than necessary when it comes to these things.

#50 Posted by Lunnington (183 posts) -

Dude, sending the Gnome into space in HL2:E2.

That was my favorite achievement ever. For those who don't know, you have to take a garden gnome you get at the beginning of the game ALL THE WAY through the entire game and put it inside the rocket at the end, sending it to space. You have to come up with ways to attach it to your vehicle, keep it in spots during big battles, and remember to take it between areas. It was a little sad closing the door of the rocket at the end but it was truly fun.