• 71 results
#51 Posted by JimiPeppr (256 posts) -

I left my 360 on overnight once because I didn't want to have to beat the first level in the I Wanna Be The Guy warp zone in Super Meat Boy again. Not that great of a story, I know. I only try to get achievements if they sound like fun or if I think I'll actually feel like I achieved something... "The Kid" was the latter.

#52 Edited by me3639 (1754 posts) -

WaW is probably my favorite COD game but early Treyarch were terrible at abusing the respwaning of enemies(sort of ironic Respawn). A lot of cursing like a 12 yr old, and crying like a Nintendo fan but i earned it.

And i wouldn't necessarily call this one work, as someone who is not into MP, but damn it sure was a lot of fun and hope Relic at sometime will revisit Space marine.

#53 Edited by TreeTrunk (115 posts) -

Just a couple nights ago I got the "Exile: Achilles" achievement for hard reset. It requires you to finish the game in heroic mode, which removes all the checkpoints in the game except the ones at the beginning of each level, and the enemies are tougher than they are on 'insane' difficulty. It legit took me over 30 hours to get it, but the game is so fun it never felt like a chore.

#54 Edited by kaos_cracker (577 posts) -

@me3639: I remember WaW being one the hardest games to beat on Veteran. I couldn't beat the last two levels to the point where I would make it to the final checkpoint on each but can't progress any further.

#55 Edited by ILikePopCans (748 posts) -

Are we talking about achievements that we got that were the hardest but did not actively get, or achievements that we got because we wanted them and not because we wanted to play the game?

I got all the achievements in Halo Wars, and the get the highest rank in multplayer achievement takes a couple hundred hours to get, and I got it when it took even longer before they patch the requirements down. But than I love that fucken game so much I would have got it even if there was no achievement.

#56 Posted by nevalis (75 posts) -

At first I didn't think I'd try for the 'Hard to the Core' achievement in Dead Space 2, but by the time I finished up Zealot mode, I figured what the hell. As already mentioned, the difficulty isn't as hard, but there are plenty of easy death spots that can erase hours of progress. It was a good challenge.

My favorite achievement that just kinda happened was 'The Undying' in World of Warcraft back during tWotLK, which required beating the entire 10-man Naxxramas raid with no one dying. It was a standard farm run, and by the time we got to Sapphiron everyone realized what was going on but said nothing, much like no one talking to a pitcher during a no-no. When we took down Kel'thuzad, it was a rush akin to Vanilla WoW raiding.

#57 Posted by Hector (3357 posts) -

I played Gears of War for hours after school everyday for a month to get the Seriously achievement.

#58 Edited by CaLe (3945 posts) -

I remember there was a time when it felt empty to play a game without achievements. I'm glad I got over that.

I can't remember any one achievement that was difficult, but I remember getting 1000 points in games I should have stopped playing long before I did.

#59 Posted by Sinusoidal (1389 posts) -

None. Fuck em. I'll make an effort to do something in a game if it adds something to the story, or gives me some useful weapon or item or something, but fuck achievements and trophies for the artificial game length padding that they are.

#60 Posted by BisonHero (6407 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

Hours and hours and hours getting Spelunky's Speedlunky and Low Scorer.

Also, Binding of Isaac's Dark Boy.

I would say Dark Boy, except I still don't have it. It is my white whale. I really should've got it back when the game launched, and the item pool was somewhat reliable.

Seriously, every time I have a good build going into the Depths, I either get fucked by some shitty room composition where the instant I enter the room a bunch of extendo-heads fuck me over, or I make it to mom undamaged yet somehow manage to take damage exactly once while fighting her, fucking me up. It doesn't help that Wrath of the Lamb made that game totally cheap, because those heart-mask enemies are real assholes.

And the item pool is so diluted now that I swear I haven't even seen Brimstone in the past like 30 or so runs I've done.

#61 Posted by BeachThunder (11807 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

Hours and hours and hours getting Spelunky's Speedlunky and Low Scorer.

Also, Binding of Isaac's Dark Boy.

I would say Dark Boy, except I still don't have it. It is my white whale. I really should've got it back when the game launched, and the item pool was somewhat reliable.

Seriously, every time I have a good build going into the Depths, I either get fucked by some shitty room composition where the instant I enter the room a bunch of extendo-heads fuck me over, or I make it to mom undamaged yet somehow manage to take damage exactly once while fighting her, fucking me up. It doesn't help that Wrath of the Lamb made that game totally cheap, because those heart-mask enemies are real assholes.

And the item pool is so diluted now that I swear I haven't even seen Brimstone in the past like 30 or so runs I've done.

I got it while playing WOTL. Honestly, a lot of that achievement comes down to getting a good run. When I got it, I was an absolute powerhouse.

This was my character when I got the achievement:

#62 Edited by BisonHero (6407 posts) -

@beachthunder: I keep waiting for the dream scenario where in Caves 2 I get the shovel and the Emperor card, so when I reach The Depths I can just use the shovel, use the Emperor, and then just worry about killing Mom.

Or just a super strong powerhouse build. Whichever comes first.

#63 Edited by BRich (431 posts) -

Getting all the achievements in Mass Effect 2 and 3 (not hard overall, but Insane difficulty got difficult in a couple spots in 2). Beating Halo 4 solo legendary was kinda tough.

Not an xbox achievement but beating Diablo 3 at release on Inferno was awful.

#64 Posted by MOAB (374 posts) -

@brich said:

Getting all the achievements in Mass Effect 2 and 3 (not hard overall, but Insane difficulty got difficult in a couple spots in 2).

That's the only one I can think of. It just seemed unfair in a couple spots.

#65 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1761 posts) -

According to Steam, my rarest trophy is Pounding the Pavement in Saints Row IV. I don't see how that is that difficult; It's probably more of a case of people just not bothering. I would have assumed that beating Civ V on Deity would be higher, but no, it's two places behind Pounding the Pavement.

As for console games... uh... I got platinum on Assassin's Creed 2, but that's only because it really wasn't that tedious.

#66 Edited by warpr (79 posts) -

I have 100% on Game Room on Xbox 360. Not particularly difficult, but incredibly tedious :)

#67 Posted by Melvargh (489 posts) -

I sent the Gnome into space in HL2:E2, and that was awesome. The part with the helicopter chasing the car was insanity though.

Through The Fire and Flames on expert in GH3 was something I spent a lot of time on, and for the intro I eventually had to tape down the green button to get the hammer-ons good enough to not fail.

#68 Posted by TrashMustache (452 posts) -

damn i miss the achievement tracker on the site, it was so neat. not essential but just neat feature. oh well. My toughest achievement must have been SMILE achievement in geometry wars 2. i spent weeks on it when i finally got it i actually called up a collegue who was at work and he informed our other collegues and they all came to the phone to congratulate me. (we were all aiming to achieve it) LMAO, good times.

#69 Posted by smcn (917 posts) -
#70 Edited by smcn (917 posts) -

@moab said:

@brich said:

Getting all the achievements in Mass Effect 2 and 3 (not hard overall, but Insane difficulty got difficult in a couple spots in 2).

That's the only one I can think of. It just seemed unfair in a couple spots.

Praetorians in ME2 are annoying as shit. Although I've played it so many times that it's a cakewalk now. I recently did a Vanguard/Jack/Jacob Insanity run just for the hell of it and it was super easy.

#71 Edited by beepmachine (618 posts) -

I think my "rarest" achievements would be the Stranger's Dream with all idols active in Bastion, or the one that requires you to get a million points in score attack mode. Don't know if they were the hardest (they were really fucking hard though) but they're the ones I remember most.

#72 Edited by _Dad (41 posts) -

Duders, I just play the games; I could care less about achievements, badges, and trophies. They tend to take me away from playing for enjoyment; I've been addicted in the past, so I gave up and am liberated.