Posted by yeah_write (219 posts) -

The Summer 2012 Steam Sale wasn’t nearly as complicated as the winter 2011 sale. No collectibles or weird contests that had you buying games to earn achievements that would result in discounts to buy even more games--just simple sales. There were daily deals, flash sales and sale voting, which gave you plenty of opportunities to buy games cheap. In most cases if a game popped up in the daily deals, it would also appear as a flash sale later on.

Here's how my wallet survived: I set aside $50 on my birthday in June in preparation for the sale and I spent every penny. Simple right? Here’s the breakdown:

Mafia 2 – 7.49

Trine 2 – 3.74

Dear Esther – 2.49

Shining Force 2 – 1.79

Dungeon Siege 3 – 4.99

Torchlight - 3.74

The Walking Dead – 14.99

With my last ten bucks I picked up this Aperture Science coffee mug, because I always wanted one.

In the weeks between my birthday in June and the sale I also picked up Wizorb and Sword & Sworcery (the latter through an indie bundle deal). This year I focused on games I could jump in and out of or that could be played in a relatively short amount of time. You gotta be choosy when you’re a gaming dad.

I wanted to be as disciplined with my playing as I was with my buying, but so far that’s not working. My plan was to play one, maybe two, games at a time before starting something else. So far I have started Mafia 2, Trine 2, Dungeon Seige 3, Torchlight, Wizorb and Sword & Sworcery. I have so little gaming time these days that it’s hard to stick to one thing at a time. The danger is that I won’t come back and finish games I started. Poor Witcher 2 is sitting on my hard drive half completed. But I guess I’d rather play a little bit of a lot of games than a lot of just one.

Thankfully, many of the games above are short. I beat Mafia 2 in a few days thanks to easy mode and having to stay home with my son. I could have beat it sooner if there was some sort of fast travel option. The game has an open world that’s not really open. There are only story missions. There’s nothing to do outside of them. No reason to cruise the city. I get that making you drive aids immersion, but it also aids boredom after a while. LA Noire had a similar problem. Neither game really needs the open world. At least LA Noire let you fast travel after a while.

Other than the constant driving (seriously, some missions consisted of drive to the bar, drive home, the end), I liked Mafia 2. It’s messy and kind of dumb and full of cliches, but it also takes a road less traveled in mafia stories. The two main characters are a couple of screw ups. They see some success, but this isn’t a story about climbing the mafia ladder. You do not end up as a don, or some kind of bigshot boss. Vito and Joe might make some nice cash in a few spots, but even then they continue to screw up and piss people off. They let their emotions and simple-minded thinking rule them. These guys don’t ever stop to consider the big picture. They’re low level thugs. Henchmen hoping to be something more, but incapable of ever actually succeeding. It’s a story of dudes in lower to middle management positions. That’s not too common in mafia stories. So it was definitely worth $7.49.

Also I didn’t find this out till later because I didn’t play Mafia 1, but there’s a cool nod to the first game about 3/4ths of the way through. Just google “Mafia 1 in Mafia 2” and you’ll find a YouTube clip of it.

What did you pick up during the Steam sale? Have you finished any of your purchased games yet?

#1 Posted by yeah_write (219 posts) -

The Summer 2012 Steam Sale wasn’t nearly as complicated as the winter 2011 sale. No collectibles or weird contests that had you buying games to earn achievements that would result in discounts to buy even more games--just simple sales. There were daily deals, flash sales and sale voting, which gave you plenty of opportunities to buy games cheap. In most cases if a game popped up in the daily deals, it would also appear as a flash sale later on.

Here's how my wallet survived: I set aside $50 on my birthday in June in preparation for the sale and I spent every penny. Simple right? Here’s the breakdown:

Mafia 2 – 7.49

Trine 2 – 3.74

Dear Esther – 2.49

Shining Force 2 – 1.79

Dungeon Siege 3 – 4.99

Torchlight - 3.74

The Walking Dead – 14.99

With my last ten bucks I picked up this Aperture Science coffee mug, because I always wanted one.

In the weeks between my birthday in June and the sale I also picked up Wizorb and Sword & Sworcery (the latter through an indie bundle deal). This year I focused on games I could jump in and out of or that could be played in a relatively short amount of time. You gotta be choosy when you’re a gaming dad.

I wanted to be as disciplined with my playing as I was with my buying, but so far that’s not working. My plan was to play one, maybe two, games at a time before starting something else. So far I have started Mafia 2, Trine 2, Dungeon Seige 3, Torchlight, Wizorb and Sword & Sworcery. I have so little gaming time these days that it’s hard to stick to one thing at a time. The danger is that I won’t come back and finish games I started. Poor Witcher 2 is sitting on my hard drive half completed. But I guess I’d rather play a little bit of a lot of games than a lot of just one.

Thankfully, many of the games above are short. I beat Mafia 2 in a few days thanks to easy mode and having to stay home with my son. I could have beat it sooner if there was some sort of fast travel option. The game has an open world that’s not really open. There are only story missions. There’s nothing to do outside of them. No reason to cruise the city. I get that making you drive aids immersion, but it also aids boredom after a while. LA Noire had a similar problem. Neither game really needs the open world. At least LA Noire let you fast travel after a while.

Other than the constant driving (seriously, some missions consisted of drive to the bar, drive home, the end), I liked Mafia 2. It’s messy and kind of dumb and full of cliches, but it also takes a road less traveled in mafia stories. The two main characters are a couple of screw ups. They see some success, but this isn’t a story about climbing the mafia ladder. You do not end up as a don, or some kind of bigshot boss. Vito and Joe might make some nice cash in a few spots, but even then they continue to screw up and piss people off. They let their emotions and simple-minded thinking rule them. These guys don’t ever stop to consider the big picture. They’re low level thugs. Henchmen hoping to be something more, but incapable of ever actually succeeding. It’s a story of dudes in lower to middle management positions. That’s not too common in mafia stories. So it was definitely worth $7.49.

Also I didn’t find this out till later because I didn’t play Mafia 1, but there’s a cool nod to the first game about 3/4ths of the way through. Just google “Mafia 1 in Mafia 2” and you’ll find a YouTube clip of it.

What did you pick up during the Steam sale? Have you finished any of your purchased games yet?

#2 Posted by AlisterCat (5484 posts) -

I bought 2 packs for free to play games. Super Monday Night Combat and Age of Empires online. A weird time we're living in. I wish I had the money but I'll have to wait for the winter sale. All of the games will be on sale again. Definitely buying the Assassins Creed pack especially if 3 is in there.

That mug is great. I want one but shipping to the UK costs so damn much. In order to get cards against humanity I had to pay almost twice the cost in dollars.

#3 Posted by yeah_write (219 posts) -

@AlisterCat: Valve's shipping within the US is pretty outrageous too. Maybe Amazon has spoiled me, but $7 shipping still feels wrong. The only reason I got the mug is because the sale made it cost less than $20 with shipping.

I almost bought one of those Super MNC packs, but let it slide. I'm glad I did too. I would have felt pressure to use them, and then get good at the game. With the baby crawling around, I can't really dive into games that don't pause.

Still, it's amazing what you can get during the Steam sale. $50 is less than the price of a new Xbox 360 game. And I got seven full games and a mug for that!

#4 Posted by Inkerman (1449 posts) -

What I picked up in the Steam Sale;

Alice: Madness Returns

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Anno 2070

Anomaly Warzone Earth

The Baconing

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY

Batman: Arkham City

The Binding of Isaac

Blocks that Matter

Botanicula

Braid

Burnout Paradise

Cave Story Plus

Costume Quest

Crusader Kings

Dear Esther

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

EDGE

Eufloria

Fallout: New Vegas

Far Cry

Far Cry 2

Fray

Galactic Civilizations

Gotham City Imposters

GTA IV

GTA: Episodes from Liberty City

Greed Corp

Hitman: Blood Money

HOARD

Hydrophobia: Prophecy

L.A. Noire

Left 4 Dead 2

Lone Survivor

Max Payne 3

Mirror's Edge

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Oil Rush

Orion: Dino Beatdown

Psychonauts

Q.U.B.E.

Risen

STALKER: Call of Pripyat

STALKER: Clear Sky

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

Saints Row: The Third

Sniper Elite V2

SpaceChem

Spec Ops: The Line

Splice

Stacking

Star Ruler

Stronghold 3

Super Meat Boy

Theatre of War

Theatre of War: Africa 1943

Theatre of War: Kursk 1943

Theatre of War: Korea

The Tiny Bang Story

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Toy Soldiers

Trine 2

Tropico 4

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

The Walking Dead

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Waveform

The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings Enhanced Edition

The Witcher Enhanced Edition

World of Goo

Worms

Worms Blast

Worms Crazy Golf

Worms Pinball

Worms Reloaded

Worms Ultimate Mayhem

X-Tension

X2: The Threat

X3: Albion Prelude

X3: Reunion

X3: Terran Conflict

X3: Beyond the Frontier

Don't judge me...

#5 Posted by AlisterCat (5484 posts) -

@yeah_write: SMNC is really casual. I play once or twice a week for 30 minutes. I'm not amazing, but I have fun and I don't take it too seriously. I wanted to give them some money since everything has been free for me so far.

#6 Posted by nasseh (82 posts) -

I bought a few games, I think the one I'm most happy with is The Walking Dead. Superb game.

#7 Posted by Intro (1206 posts) -

Batman Arkham City - $10.19

Limbo - $2.49

Ass Creed Rev - $13.59

Bastion - $3.74

Binding of Isaac- $2.23

Saints Row 3rd - $12.49

L4D2 - $9.99

Didn't want half of them but I was buying games in the wrong state of mind lol, plus they were so damn cheap! Although, I can say I'm enjoying all of them so far, even though I haven't played them all a lot due to work and such.

#8 Posted by Supercancer (182 posts) -

I bought Painkiller: Black Edition, The Witcher 2, The Binding Of Isaac with Soundtrack, Saints Row: The Third and Binding of Isaac Wrath of the Lamb all for $45

Tremendous deal if you ask me.

#9 Posted by yeah_write (219 posts) -

@Supercancer: I forgot to look for the Binding of Isaac DLC. That game came out right when my son was born and I have fond memories of mindlessly playing it at 2:30 in the morning while rocking the baby in his bassinet with my foot. I love the way you can luck out on a play through and stack some amazing power ups.

#10 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

I don't get why it's titled '' Surviving '' the Steam Sale in that case. I thought it was a blog on how you didn't spent money.

Anyways. I've got screwed over the last three summer sales because I'd purchase anything that had a low price. And guess what? I didn't play one third of the games I bought. Now, I follow one rule :

No matter the price, if I, in the immediate present, do not feel the urge to play the game, I just don't buy it. That's all. I've got so many games that I bought just because of the low price and that I've never played and probably won't every play either. You could put Alpha Protocol at 1 $ or GTA4 at 4$ and Bioshock 1 and 2 at 5$, I'll never buy those if I don't immediately want to dig in.

If there's one mistake I won't make again, its to think that eventually a said title will interest me and make me want to play it. It never worked on me.

#11 Edited by Jrinswand (1696 posts) -
@Inkerman: I'm judging you hardcore right now. FFS, spend your money on something useful. Or, better yet, put it in the bank.

I got a few games during the Steam sale. I financed my purchases by selling an old PC copy of System Shock 2 that I had lying around as well as Mortal Kombat for the PS3. With the money I bought Civ 5, Civ 4 + plus expansions, The Wrath of the Lamb DLC for The Binding of Isaac, Just Cause 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, Legend of Grimrock, and, thanks to @Falpatrick, every Grand Theft Auto game ever made. I'm pretty sure the whole thing came in at $38, which is how much I got from selling those two games. I'd call that a success.
#12 Posted by yeah_write (219 posts) -

@Klei: That's the point of saying I "survived" it. I spent a set amount of money and didn't buy any games I know I won't play. The low price points will get you sometimes. You used Alpha Protocol as an example and that's a great one. I almost bought it once for $2.50 just because it was $2.50. I knew it was a game and that I'd likely never finish, but with a price that low, why not? That was just a daily deal too. The actual summer and winter sales are chock full of games like that. To survive the sale, you have to do what you did and ask yourself if you'd really play them.

Man...that GTA mega pack was hard to turn down though. EVERY GTA game plus the GTAIV expansions for just $12. What a deal.

#13 Posted by heavymetalwaffle (106 posts) -

I survived the Steam Summer Sale by having a a Mac Mini from 2009!

Although, I did buy The Wrath of the Lamb DLC for The Binding of Isaac and Civilization IV: The Complete edition for a whopping total of $8.23.

#14 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@Inkerman said:

What I picked up in the Steam Sale;

Alice: Madness Returns

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Anno 2070

Anomaly Warzone Earth

The Baconing

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY

Batman: Arkham City

The Binding of Isaac

Blocks that Matter

Botanicula

Braid

Burnout Paradise

Cave Story Plus

Costume Quest

Crusader Kings

Dear Esther

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

EDGE

Eufloria

Fallout: New Vegas

Far Cry

Far Cry 2

Fray

Galactic Civilizations

Gotham City Imposters

GTA IV

GTA: Episodes from Liberty City

Greed Corp

Hitman: Blood Money

HOARD

Hydrophobia: Prophecy

L.A. Noire

Left 4 Dead 2

Lone Survivor

Max Payne 3

Mirror's Edge

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Oil Rush

Orion: Dino Beatdown

Psychonauts

Q.U.B.E.

Risen

STALKER: Call of Pripyat

STALKER: Clear Sky

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

Saints Row: The Third

Sniper Elite V2

SpaceChem

Spec Ops: The Line

Splice

Stacking

Star Ruler

Stronghold 3

Super Meat Boy

Theatre of War

Theatre of War: Africa 1943

Theatre of War: Kursk 1943

Theatre of War: Korea

The Tiny Bang Story

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Toy Soldiers

Trine 2

Tropico 4

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

The Walking Dead

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Waveform

The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings Enhanced Edition

The Witcher Enhanced Edition

World of Goo

Worms

Worms Blast

Worms Crazy Golf

Worms Pinball

Worms Reloaded

Worms Ultimate Mayhem

X-Tension

X2: The Threat

X3: Albion Prelude

X3: Reunion

X3: Terran Conflict

X3: Beyond the Frontier

Don't judge me...

Holy shit dude were you in prison for the past three years?

#15 Posted by Inkerman (1449 posts) -

@Klei said:

It kind of evens out, I don't buy games on release. In the past 5 years I might have bought maybe $200 worth of games outside of a steam sale, and last steam sale I only bought maybe $70 worth. So all up about $300 in the last 5 years.

#16 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@Inkerman said:

@Klei said:

It kind of evens out, I don't buy games on release. In the past 5 years I might have bought maybe $200 worth of games outside of a steam sale, and last steam sale I only bought maybe $70 worth. So all up about $300 in the last 5 years.

Then your patience is a great strength of yours. I could never wait that long for the games I want on release.

#17 Posted by Hunkulese (2650 posts) -

I survived by already owning everything worth having

#18 Posted by ajamafalous (11857 posts) -
@Hunkulese said:
I survived by already owning everything worth having
This, unfortunately. The fact that there were no achievements to go get in games made the sale pretty boring.
#19 Posted by codynewill (166 posts) -

I survived by getting Civ 5 gifted to me by a friend! :D

#20 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

I usually escape relatively unscathed.

Usually.

This time I left a hundred dollars shorter, bruised and battered. I think I need a lawyer to understand exactly what happened.

#21 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I just got a job and don't have to worry about sales being the only way to buy games. So most of the major stuff I've wanted for ages now I got before the sale specifically so I wouldn't get a bunch of games cheaper than I could potentially afford. The sales were cool for little things or games I wasn't compelled to support with a full price purchase. Still spent like $130, but I've already played most of them, and the rest are games I very much want to play.

#22 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

@yeah_write: I really don't know what happened to me... I have never been in a Steam sale before. I thought... I can play most of these games... they are cheap... I have disposable income... and time...

A week later, I have run up a total of some $350. Now, if only uni didn't start tomorrow...

Still, it is a nice problem to have - I am more perplexed as to how the exorbitant amount was actualised