How important is retro to you?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

I know a lot of people view retro games in a lot of different lights, but they've been somewhat fashionable of late.

But what do you think? Love 'em, hate them? Couldn't care less? Do you think modern games have something to learn from retro offerings, or do you feel we should forget the past and focus on the future? What about retro games themselves, do you dabble? Collect even?

Personally I collect retro games, I have something like 300 cart based games, not a huge amount I know but I cant divert all my monies to collecting as I want modern games too :) I own and maintain retro consoles, sometimes even modifying them. I also feel that a lot of modern games could learn a thing or two from classics of the past, most prominent perhaps is the importance of slick, streamlined and responsive controls. (Many modern games could learn a thing or two from Contra for example)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I play them all the time. Right now, I'm finishing Star Ocean 2 along with Crash Bandicoot.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain

Good choices sir.

I played through FFVII again 8 months ago, picking up everything through the game. I also play retro regularly but usually most of my time is spent on Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Street Fighter Alpha 3. When i'm not playing those i'm playing some classic or other, like Abe's Oddysee, Heart of Darkness, any interplay/black isle game, or classic action titles like Contra/Alien 3/Gunstar Heroes.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

I think most of my gaming time is spent playing retro games, recently been [slowly] playing through Seiken Densetsu 3 as well as spending alot of time on Megaman 2 + 3, Castlevania 4 and Gradius 3.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By danielkempster

I'm big on retro games. While I became serious about games a little too late to salvage anything from my childhood, I have since become a collector of games as well as a gamer. Not in a serious way or anything, I just like owning lots of games. Nostalgia has all-too-often influenced a purchase for me, resulting in games like the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection sitting on my shelf. I also buy a lot of old games second-hand, in an attempt to experience stuff that I missed out on the first time round. So yeah, retro's pretty important to me.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By flaminghobo

I'm not really that big on the retro console games, I spent most of my time on the PC.

But I do love my old PC games. :)
Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Lashe

I love retro games. Specifically, but not exclusively, JRPGS.

Suikoden 1&2 are at the stage now where they are 'retro', and I frequently play through Chrono Trigger and the 2D, 16-bit era FF games.

Outwith JRPGs, I do enjoy the Street Fighter games, Super Metroid / Castlevania style games, Donkey Kong Country, Bomberman, classic Mario, etc.

Oh, and the SNES NBA Jam Tournament Edition remains my favourite sports game. Ever.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Funzzo

I just dropped 100 bucks on an unopened copy of streetfighter zero 3 for saturn. Love the 2D fighters. Also playin JP version of SOTN for saturn.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust

I wouldn't really consider them retro, but I've been preoccupied with PS2 games for the last few months.  I admit they are all JRPGs so far, but I've been eying a few action-adventure titles I missed years ago, too. 

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jkz

Yeah I've gotten over my retro fad. Some games were great to play, but for others I had put them on a pedestal as a result of nostalgia, and they were knocked the hell off by my playing them again. I'd rather keep good memories good, rather than sour them with my more modern views on gaming.

I do still play a lot of PS2 games, but that's not retro in the least bit, considering the platform is still being developed for
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Otacon

300 is quite a lot man! In terms of NES era for me it was a case of discovering the greats once I was 10 or so (born in 1990). I still definitely respect them for their influence and still enjoy playing the classics today.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By regularassmilk

Every now and then, I play my Sega, Nes, and Snes.
The only retro game I play consistently is MGS1 on the PS1.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Otacon: That was last count, i've obtained more since then I know it :P

As weird as it sounds, I was born in 88 yet one of the games i've put the most hours into (above even RPGs) has been Street Fighter II, which was released that very same year. Theoretically I shouldn't even know about it! :P
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pazy

I probably play more Retro games than I do current games. Currently on my DS alone im playing Pokemon Blue again, Act Raiser, Street Fighter 2 (Snes), Kid Chameleon and various Sonics. Add into that the retro games i play on my PC, Wii and various collection disks (like Sega Mega Drive collection for PSP, loving me some Phantasy Star IV).

Personally ive never cared about graphics, and for the most part great gameplay still stands up. Even if the "genre has moved forward" that dosent make games before it obselete. I love playing Cod 4 with its relativly realistic gameplay/Iron sights etc. but that dosent stop me loving to run through Quake everynow and then.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Red

I've got no beef with playing an old game, but RPG text confinements can definitely get annoying. Square and Enix games are usually the exception. With any other genre, it's awesome.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By buzz_clik

I'm mad into the Retro scene - have a look at my mini bio to see what I still have hooked up to my television! I still play them pretty regularly, whether for fun or to write about them. I must admit, however, I've slowed down a bit due to my spending addiction being somewhat curbed. But with my X360 having a bout of Red Ring Fever recently, I've played a couple of cherished titles to fill in the time.

A large part of my collection is made up of Genesis / Mega Drive games. I've even got a couple of really rare things in my collection. The one I'm most proud of is my copy of Panorama Cotton, complete with tea cup. Luckily, my girl has been very understanding of my hobby because that title cost a lil bit.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By keyhunter
@The_A_Drain said:
" @Otacon: That was last count, i've obtained more since then I know it :PAs weird as it sounds, I was born in 88 yet one of the games i've put the most hours into (above even RPGs) has been Street Fighter II, which was released that very same year. Theoretically I shouldn't even know about it! :P "
SF 2 came out in 91'. I'm pretty sure it didn't hit consoles until 92'.
KennyTheSober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KennyTheSober

Retro games pwn, have been playing me some classic shmups on my Commodore64 which still works perfectly. Ironic really, I broke out the amiga because my 360 died on me lol. But sure, retro games are a large part of my gaming time.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I appreciate retro, but I can't really go back and play.  I wish I could but with most of the games I get bored or just feel like I could be playing modern and in a lot of ways superior games.  I really wish I liked retro more, it's just hard for me to go back to usually.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By buzz_clik
@KennyTheSober said:
" Retro games pwn, have been playing me some classic shmups on my Commodore64 which still works perfectly. Ironic really, I broke out the amiga because my 360 died on me lol. But sure, retro games are a large part of my gaming time. "
My C64 is still in perfect working nick, too. It's still got a doorbell that I stuck to it for a reset switch as a young lad!
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Fallen189

You spoony bard.